realization

goodbye summer
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Hyung, how do you solve this problem?” Jimin crawled off his own bed and moved to Yoongi’s.

 

“Um, what are you doin—”

 

The younger boy ignored his attempt of question as he proceeded to climb on Yoongi’s bed with his math textbook in hand. “This,” Jimin pointed to a problem in the middle of the page.

 

Yoongi sighed and shifted aside to make room for his roommate, not bothering to argue as the other was already on his mattress. He noticed that Jimin seemed oddly intimate these days, although he also knew it shouldn’t bother him after witnessing multiple times on Jimin wrapping his arm around the other males or practically throwing himself on them when laughing. Nevertheless, Yoongi was never used to intimacy; he always kept his hands to himself and would expect others to do the same. It was strange to recognize his roommate’s switch in behavior around him, from feeling intimidated and barely making eye contact with him to occasionally bumping his shoulders against his on purpose and all other forms of contact that allowed their skin to brush against each other’s. However, Yoongi had to admit there were a few times when he returned the gestures, unconsciously for the most part.

 

He leaned closer to read the problem and started explaining as the sophomore listened intently. Math wasn’t his strongest subject, but this was one of those moments where he felt grateful that his parents sent him to all those tutoring classes and cram schools in the past years.

 

“Who needs Namjoon when I have my roommate to be my math tutor?” Jimin nudged his shoulder with a smile.

 

“And that doesn’t mean you can just climb on your roommate’s bed whenever you wish.”

 

“My clothes are clean, if that’s what you’re worried about.” The younger boy pushed himself closer against his body, and Yoongi was sure he did that just to .

 

“Ever heard of personal space?”

 

“What is personal space?”

 

Yoongi groaned and redirected his attention to his chemistry textbook instead. No matter how much he tried to argue with Jimin, he was sure the other wouldn’t leave his bed anytime soon anyway. The room grew silent as they studied for their exams on a Saturday afternoon.

 

Actually, Yoongi wasn’t studying. He was attempting to study, but every time he tried reading a paragraph from his textbook, he’d feel his roommate’s arm brush against his or hear the other’s soft, steady breathing. There was a point when Jimin even entangled his legs with his and while Yoongi was mentally screaming at himself to focus on his textbook, the younger boy didn’t seem to be bothered at all. A solid thirty or forty-five minutes of torment passed when Yoongi finally decided to send Jimin back to his own bed, or at least an arm-length away from him.

 

“Jimin,” he called, not bothering to look up from the text. When there was no response, he tried again. “Jimin?”

 

The second time didn’t earn a response either. He looked up and turned to his roommate, only to find his head resting on his math textbook and eyes fluttered shut.

 

“Seriously?” He mumbled softly to himself upon realizing that the other had fallen asleep while studying on his bed.

 

Yoongi had two choices: to either wake Jimin up and tell him to study somewhere else, or to leave him be on his bed. He wasn’t sure why he decided to go with the latter. Maybe it was because he himself knew how exhausting the past four weeks had been, and how their sleep deprivation was not getting any better but instead just accumulating.

 

He slowly pulled his legs away from Jimin’s, careful not to wake his roommate up. With a sigh, he observed Jimin’s face, noticing the way he buried half of his lips on his arm and how his lips were slightly parted. Then Yoongi’s head started swirling with thoughts that he reckoned were random, and quite inappropriate for the moment. He tried brushing them away by reminding himself that he had to take five exams in the upcoming week and still needed to make progress on his song. Yet, he found his eyes trailing back onto Jimin’s form with the thought that the boy was sleeping on his bed and how if he leaned in maybe just twelve centimeters, he’d be able to kiss him. And suddenly, he was considering how it’d feel to actually kiss the sophomore.

 

That was when Yoongi knew he lost it. He closed his textbook and rested his head on the cover, turning his face away from the other’s and squeezing his eyes shut, all the while trying to get that stupid butterfly feeling to go away.

 

~

 

Yoongi groaned when he opened his eyes groggily. He remained still and took in his surroundings; the room was dark, so he assumed it must be the evening. He wasn’t sure when he fell asleep in the afternoon, but it must had been when he was in the middle of studying. He groaned louder when he felt his head resting on top of what seemed to be a textbook and lazily lifted himself up to push it away.

 

“You’re awake.”

 

He whipped his head at the voice. The room was dark, but the lights surrounding the campus were bright enough to shine into the room and for Yoongi to see his roommate’s smiling face. That was when he remembered what happened earlier in the afternoon: Park Jimin fell asleep on his bed and he somehow fell asleep after.

 

“Why are you still on my bed?” He asked, voice thick with traces of slumber.

 

Jimin hummed. “It got comfy.”

 

Yoongi didn’t respond to that, and Jimin didn’t continue to speak either. He started to wonder since when they became comfortable enough to simply lie beside each other in silence. Yoongi must have stared into the darkness for three full minutes before he pushed himself to sit up on bed. “Let’s grab dinner.”

 

The walk to the cafeteria was silent as well, and Yoongi found it odd that Jimin wasn’t chirping away like he normally would. He didn’t have the energy to start a conversation either; the nap was nice, but not enough to recharge his exhaustion. Besides, he was still feeling quite groggy, and he assumed it was the same for the other male.

 

Yoongi found it odder when the cafeteria was empty. He glanced at the clock hanging above the trays—five past six, more than an hour since dinner had been served. Usually, the others would have come out by five-thirty.

 

“They must have eaten earlier today,” Jimin commented as he lifted a tray.

 

“To study for their exams? I’d never have expected that from them.” Yoongi looked out to the hallway, which was also empty. He somehow couldn’t shake off the feeling that the others were up to something. After hanging out with them for nearly four weeks, he knew they’d be the type to jump out from their seats to eat, or use anything else as an excuse to not study. Maybe with the exception of Namjoon.

 

Jimin shrugged. “Some of them did make a phone call to their parents not too long ago. Maybe they got a lecture.”

 

Yoongi kept his eyes trained on his food as they ate in silence. A part of him wanted to strike up a conversation just to make it seem less awkward, but the other part of him didn’t actually mind the silence too much. In fact, he sort of liked spending this alone time with his roommate without the others’ reckless and immature behavior. With Jimin, he felt at peace. He also felt that he could talk about anything with Jimin, compared to the otherwise side glances or jeering remarks from the other boys, particularly Jin, Hoseok, and Taehyung.

 

“You’re awfully quiet today,” he finally said.

 

“I’ve been thinking.”

 

Yoongi eyed the other male. “Something bothering you?”

 

“Well, no,” Jimin picked on his food, “not exactly. Just that, I’m not really bothered by Jungkook anymore.”

 

“Isn’t that a good thing?”

 

“Well, yeah, but…” The younger boy rubbed his nape. “I don’t know, I’m just confused? Like I was being all stupid and emotional last week and then all of a sudden, I’m just fine?”

 

Yoongi shrugged, realizing how unfit he was for this conversation. “People call it a ‘passing crush’ for a reason.”

 

“Have you had a ‘passing crush’?” Jimin rested his face on his palm and eyed him curiously.

 

His mind flashed back to a girl who sat beside him in middle school. It was quite obvious she had a crush on him. He thought she was cute, and they did “date” for a week or two until he decided it was a bad idea and “broke up” with her. He also recalled a boy whom he kissed one afternoon at his high school’s backyard. It was quite inaccurate to call either of them a passing crush; if anything, maybe “experimentation” would be a better word.

 

However, he suddenly remembered the butterflies he felt just last Sunday when the sophomore hugged him, then again earlier this afternoon when the same sophomore fell asleep beside him on bed. That was when he stared back at the b

Please log in to read the full chapter