chapter nine

The Only

Remember Forever 

 

Joohyun's Perspective:

It was during the summer; I saw him for the first time in what felt like eternity. If I'm going to be specific, it's been almost a decade since I had last seen him. It's crazy to think of how long it's been, and how much emptiness could be felt from his departure. If it weren't for pictures to look back on, or my mother and Bogum reminding me of all the good times, it would've been difficult to reminisce on anything, but I'm thankful I had something.

That day, there was a moving-truck parked in front of Jimin's house, and as any other human-being with an ounce of natural curiosity, I peeked out the window.

It was him; Bogum and I's childhood best friend; Kim Taehyung.

He returned, like he had promised he would long ago.

At first glance, I didn't recognize him at all. If my mother hadn't mentioned that Taehyung was coming back to town this summer, I wouldn't have guessed that it was him right off the bat. It's been so long, and while time goes on, everyone grows and matures meanwhile. I remembered him only as a kid, and it may sound weird, but I expected him to come back as one, whenever he would return.

If he'd ever return.

And, he did, to my surprise.

But the moment I saw him, I couldn't look away. I was sure my heart stopped beating for a second. My mind wasn't working either, unable to interpret whether he was a façade or not. It didn't feel like it was reality, and instead, it felt like I was asleep, stuck in another one of those dreams about the what-ifs and what would-be.

Though, I wasn't; I was fully awake.

I pinched myself to confirm it—that's how buried I was in disbelief.

As he was carrying boxes in-and-out of Jimin's house, I studied him thoroughly.

I was shocked at how much taller he had grown. He used to be shorter than me, only be an inch, but it made it all the difference. I about it a lot, using it to my own advantage.

His dark hair had grown a little longer, too. It was messier, and it was fluffier, but it worked well on him. He wasn't as thin as I remembered, either. His shoulders had broadened, and his facial features had become more defined.

I'd say the years had done him nothing but good.

He was no longer adorable, but extremely handsome.

I didn't go out to talk to him, as much as I wanted to. He gave off an aura of mystery and intimidation, or so that's the type of impression that I received from him.

Confrontation wasn't my immediate thought—that'd be too hasty.

At least, for now. It'd be best to let him settle in.

Throughout the summer, I had never seen him, again. He must have left the house at some point, but I was too busy to acknowledge when he did. Since we were best friends, I considered going over and seeing him—to welcome him back—but Bogum told me not to. He told me to wait until school began. I didn't understand why, and even asked for a sensible reason, but I never got a straightforward answer. After a while, it vanished from my mind and I hadn't bothered to ask ever again.

And, so I did wait until school started. My days only became more hectic, and even so, I managed to still think about Taehyung and wonder why seeing him was so prolonged until now.

The very first time that I spoke to him was after school. It was a long, overdue reunion. To my surprise, I spotted him under a tree, albeit sleeping like an angel. He didn't budge, even when I reached him. Draped over his lap was a sketchbook with a drawing of an eye.

It was depicted perfectly, and with so much detail.

I smiled to myself, knowing he was, indeed, Kim Taehyung. Even as kids, he tended to draw a lot, and although he hadn't acquired as much skill as he does now, he was artistic. His talents and interests had shown that.

I imagined our conversation to be a little awkward, but that feeling would eventually lessen overtime. I was expecting a welcoming hug whilst trading shy grins or surround ourselves with laughter as we talked about what's gone on since his absence. Maybe, we'd merge into a more comfortable atmosphere by reminiscing on the past and how long it's been ever since. It'd be a lot to talk about, but there were so many things that I was interested in knowing.

To my dismay, it was the opposite of my expectations.

It was as if I had met a total stranger, instead.

He didn't remember a single thing—neither me or Bogum.

I'd tell him things, and he'd seem confused all the while.

There was a point where our conversation took a sharp turn, and it all went downhill. I asked a question, in which his expression darkened, as well as his tone. His voice had lowered another octave, which was a little frightening, but I stood my ground.

He, then, had responded negatively to my question.

I figured it wasn't out of intrusiveness, but he said otherwise.

What had caught me off guard was how disrespectful he acted, as if I said the harshest of words to him.

He didn't let me speak and left me in absolute awe.

I was hurt the rest of the day, but in a way, he wasn't wrong to get angry, I suppose.

He didn't remember me.

Later in the evening, I concluded that he was right; I was being nosy.

To him, we had just met, but to me, I was only rekindling what we once had.

In order to do so, I asked questions to fill the void of conversation; to learn; to catch up.

He hadn't seen it that way, but I already knew why.

Even then, something seemed off about him. I didn't know what, but I got the notion from how he acted. He was so angry, and despite the circumstances, no one should get that angry from a single question.

Maybe, it was simpler than I thought, and my tendency to overthink got the best of me. Experiences—good or bad—had the ability to change, and shape those into who they're supposed to be. Perhaps, maturity and growth had morphed Taehyung's personality into the opposite of how he used to be. I just wasn't ready for that.

It's unavoidable, though.

That's what happens when we grow older.

We change, and apparently, we forget.

That's when I realized that he didn't return because of his promise, but because of something else.

What that was? I had no clue, but I had many questions.

After our altercation, I knew that there wasn't any possibility of our friendship returning or continuing onward from where we left off. There was no chance for it; he had changed too much, and I didn't think I'd be able to ever reach him.

Then, one day, my mind started to shift away from that.

I believe in the meaning of fate, and how everything happens for a reason, so when we became partners in Mrs. Asuna's class, I knew there must've been hope. A sliver, at most. And, with that tiny bit of hope that I was presented with, I made the best of it by speaking to him. It's not like we had a choice, anyways.

It all worked out in the end. I couldn't be any happier, even though he's a total smart-.

Though, it did come as a surprise to me. I hadn't expected to become his friend once more. We came to a reasonable understanding and shared apologies, our dumb argument thrown out the door.

We began to speak more often afterwards.

Although I've found that he has changed immensely, he still has parts of him that reminds me of the Taehyung that I once knew, and that made me wonder about him even further.

Our hangout by the river was a day to remember. Not only was it stress-free, but it was one of the happiest days that I've had in a while, and one I've always dreamed of. The setting was only an addition to the wonderful moment but taking a stroll with Taehyung whilst learning a little more about him was what I wanted the most.

There was one specific thing that I never overstepped, although he may have thought he was slick enough.

See, Taehyung was known for showcasing his boxy-shaped grin. It's one of the features that I found so unique about him. No one smiled the way he did, nor with the same energy. It was so cheerful and goofy that it'd make anyone witnessing it do the same.

In the past, during any occasion, he'd find something to smile about, and that's how I remembered him the most—being joyful.

Nowadays, his expression is so blank that it's shocking to see a little smile on his face.

There are a few times where I've caught him trying to suppress that emotion from being shown.

Though, it seems that he's become more comfortable around me as days continued onward, which was important.

As our friendship began to deepen, he hasn't held anything back anymore. At least not as often.

He laughs and smiles without a diversion. That's all that matters.

This morning, I met a lonesome Taehyung by the courtyard, a stack of papers bundled in his arms. I smiled at him and showed endless appreciation for the kind gesture. He didn't have to do anything for me, nor was I expecting him to, but he did anyways. It was surprising to think that he'd offer to print out my work. It wasn't that I doubted he'd ever do anything that correlated to being nice, but he did display a front that I could never figure out.

All that I could grasp was that he was an alarmingly quiet individual, who liked to be alone quite often. Nonetheless, he will speak if spoken to.

Given my status, I've spent a lot of time working with students and understanding those in our year, but even with the various conversations we've had, I still couldn't understand him. Not only is he very enclosed, but he didn't talk about himself much.

And, because of that, I continue to be unable to read him.

As expressionless as he is around others, Taehyung said that he had woken up extra early, so I owed him for his efforts in doing me a favor. Though, he was only joking, as he smirked, and stayed for awhile before he left. We talked a lot, and I wish he would've stayed when my friends came. Sooyoung, Chaeyoung, and Yeri started to whisper about his insanely good looks that I'd mentally agree to. Whenever he was in their sights, that's something they'd always bring up about him, as well as the other girls in our year. A lot of talk goes around about him, not only because he's Jimin's cousin, but he gives off a mysterious aura that people are somehow drawn to. The themes of conversation are never negative, but something that never goes amiss is his outward appearance. It's like the focal-point of the girls' interests, since it's all they seem to notice. It's starting to get old.

Now, it's deep into the afternoon and my shift had just ended. I was nothing but inwardly excited to get into the shower and hop into bed, despite the amount of homework I have yet to do. Like other days, Bogum insisted that he'd accompany me on the walk home. He often goes to the shop after school, especially when I'm working that day. Surprisingly, he's not a distraction, nor is any of our other friends that tag along.

I'm grateful for it.

I didn't have much to say during most of our walk, and I don't think he did, either. It was a first, but it was calming and much-needed. We usually have plenty to say, but I guess we're both equally tired; mentally and physically. Even so, my mind wouldn't stop going on-and-on with all sorts of thoughts, and I don't think it'd stop anytime soon.

I gotta' be honest: rethinking over the numerous events that occurred during the past two weeks is a bit exhausting, and in fact, a lot to take in. What's more exhausting is keeping up with my work schedule, getting my school work done, and provide some precious time to myself; whether it'd be with my friends or not. It's rare that I do get time alone, but it's not like I mind. I'm used to it by now. I have to be.

More than anything else, I'm extremely stressed out. At this point, I think it's an understatement. I'm busier than I've ever been, and I'm juggling around way too many things. From the festival to my schoolwork, I have a -ton on my plate right now. It's impossible to make room for anything that I'd want to do.

The responsibilities that I have are weighing down on me—I can feel it. I wish I had a minor distraction from it all, sometimes.

Then again, I signed up for this.

It keeps me on my toes.

There's no way I'm letting anything distract me.

"Joohyun, are you okay?" Bogum's consideration never goes amiss in my mind. It never fails to make me smile. Surely, he's one of the sweetest guys that I know. Whenever he notices that I'm not being myself—like now—he makes sure to ask if I'm doing alright. It's just a way of checking in on me. Even then, he knows when to step away and let me breathe. For sticking by my side all these years, I owe him a lot. He's one of the few people in my life that's been there for me through thick-and-thin. I can't say the same for much of the others. "You look unwell."

Our gazes met; his filled with worry, and mine in need of sleep. I sent him a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry about me, Bogum. I'm okay."

"You sure about that?" No, not completely. I'm figuring out and making things work along the way. After all, I have responsibilities to complete and maintain. No matter the struggles, I refuse to be dependent upon anyone. "You have a lot going on, especially with that event going on in a few days. It's concerning. If you need any help, let me know."

"Of course, I will. Seriously, though, there's no need to worry." It's in his nature, so telling him not to won't make him listen. "I don't need any help with anything."

"That's not what I've heard. Taehyung has leant you a hand recently, huh?" Taehyung and I: it's a topic that Bogum never fails to be interested in. It's like he keeps a tab on the progress of our growing friendship. It makes me smile though. I guess, the idea that we're getting closer induces happiness within him, too. He may not show it a lot, but there's no doubt in my mind that Bogum's missed the three of us together. And, he hopes for more interactions. "I see that you two have been speaking much more nowadays."

I laughed out of pure glee at the thought. It's kind of unbelievable to hear those words, and not think that I'm in some sort of dream.

Taehyung's in our lives, again.

"He only helped print out some papers that I needed, that's all." I, then, informed him all about the scene that I caused yesterday, in which Taehyung came to my rescue. Thankfully, or things would've been worse, as well as my attitude. It was all due to my idiocy and clumsiness, although I wouldn't admit it aloud. By the end of the story, Bogum had busted out into fits of laughter, until I scolded him. Him and Taehyung were alike, for sure. "Anyways, besides that, yes, we've been speaking more often. Surprisingly, our friendship has progressed overtime. Have you and him spoken anymore?"

"Earlier today, yeah. It was a short conversation, so it wasn't much." He shrugged, then continued, "he's settling in, but he's becoming more social around us."

"Despite the fact that he's forgotten about us." I disliked bringing it up, but I can't help it.

"I know, it ." It more than , but at least he's back, right? "Who knows, maybe his memories will catch up to him."

I always mulled over the same question: why doesn't he remember us, like we do to him?

"Bogum, do you ever wonder why he came back?"

His neutral expression wavered, as if I hit the target on the nose. And, that's when I knew: he knew something that I didn't. There was no doubt in my mind. I read others well, especially Bogum. Hell, I'd be a terrible best friend if I couldn't. Although his reaction only raised my suspicions, I wasn't going to force the answer out of him. If it was important enough, he'd tell me.

"Always," he sighed, and he was trying so hard to maintain the act that's etched upon his mannerisms. The steadiness in his tone didn't falter, nor did his countenance. "I'm sure there's a lot that we don't know about him, yet. The bottom line is when he's ready, he'll tell us his story."

I understood, and I agreed with Bogum. Taehyung will cough up answers eventually, right? He can't stay isolated and hostile towards others forever, unable to let anyone step into his bubble to learn about him. For some unknown reason, he returned and settled into Jimin's home for a permanent stay. At least, that's what it seems like.

Who knows, maybe it's a temporary stay, but where the hell are his parents?

Are they away on business together? Like, my father usually is?

There wasn't much that made sense to me in my eyes, but I had to be patient with Taehyung. That was something that I needed to remind myself. I must be aware that I can't overstep my boundaries and ask questions, as nosy as I've become when it comes to him.

Maybe, with more time and deeper progress in our friendship, he'll answer my unasked questions.

I sigh, shake my head, and walk up the steps to my house. Bogum follows and grabs my forearm. I lift a brow and stare at him expectantly. There was an evident frown that tugged downwardly at his lips. At that, I knew exactly what he was going to say.

"Joohyun, are we ever going to talk about what happened?" 


Taehyung's Perspective:

"Is it really that bad, Taehyung?"

As Jimin pouts like a child, I continue to cringe at the piece of writing in my hands. Apart of me wants to crumple it up and throw it out, but that would dismiss all Jimin's hard work at describing his feelings for Chaeyoung. Yes, it was the night before the back to school event, and I was spending it with Jimin, rereading his lovesick song and giving him a few pointers, as well as some minor touch-ups. What I don't want is for him to go in too deep or sound obsessive to the point that it's creepy.

Do we have to remember that this is extremely risky?

I'm going to be straight with you: the last thing I want is for Jimin to look like a fool. I've said it once before that it'd be amusing for him to look like a clown up on that platform, guitar in-hand, as he serenades the out of the girl of his dreams. Problem is, as I'm reading this piece of notebook paper, scribbled with all sorts of romantic, mumbo-jumbo crap that correlates with Chaeyoung, I can't stand the idea of making himself look bad.

"This is, in fact, embarrassing, Jimin," I mutter under my breath with displeasure. If I stare at this page any longer, or read anymore words along the lines of, 'you're my light' or 'there's no other girl like you', I think my eyes are going to disintegrate into nothingness. "Have you ever taken a good look at this? Maybe, gone through a long, strenuous period of doubt? Because, this is a whole glob of cheesiness, my friend. I'm kind of worried."

He huffs, "way to make me feel worse about it."

Uh, sorry that I'm brutally honest?

"But, yes, I've read it over a million times!" He exasperates, snatching the paper out of my hands. Someone's a little embarrassed. "Cringy aspect aside, is it any good?"

"Well..." I trail off, thinking. I have to shine a positive light on his work. I don't want to hurt his feelings, end up making him feel discouraged, and then he rips the idea into shreds. No, not after this long night. "Thinking from a girl's point of view, you have a way with words. I think you illustrate your feelings very well in your writing."

Jimin sighs dejectedly, riddled in his own thought-process. Here comes the doubt. "Do you think I should just stop? Should I not sing anything at all? I feel like I'm going to humiliate myself more than anything else."

"You may humiliate yourself, but so what?" He gives me a look that plainly says, 'that doesn't help.' It should help, because that's the reality of things. "You wrote a song about a girl that you like. It's humiliating within itself, but it's also something that melts a girl's heart. Now, I may not be a professional with women, but I do know that effort is essential in making a girl fall for you. That reassurance in the words on that paper will show yourself in a new light, and maybe, just maybe, she'll notice that. Who knows, maybe someone else could notice that, too."

Jimin takes in my words. I can tell by the critical yet understanding expression on his face. He better be analyzing what I just said. I hope I didn't waste my breath for nothing. I'm not sure if anything I just said was valid, but hey, if it gives this guy enough courage to make some sort of move, then congratulations to me.

"How are you so good at saying the right things?" He asks, and I shrug. I'd like to know the answer, too. I just speak gibberish about girls, and it somehow sounds right. "You're a mastermind! How many girlfriends have you had, dude? You must've had a lot of practice, huh?"

A lot of practice, my . "Girlfriends, you ask. Well, uh, I've only had, like, one... serious relationship...?"

"Why do you sound so unsure?" He finds this humorous while I'm sweating bullets and coughing out lies. "You some sort of player or something?"

"Yup," I say, popping the 'p'. Oh, these lies will soon bite me in the .

"Ah, I catch your drift. You look like the type." What the is that supposed to mean? Should I be offended? "I'm too nice to play with girls' feelings, unlike Jungkook. Plus, I've always had a crush on Chaeyoung."

Loyal guy, it seems. "You've never liked another girl?"

He thinks about it, pursing his lips. "Hm, not really."

"Well, let's hope that your efforts will finally break you out of that friendzone."

Jimin nods hastily, picks up his acoustic guitar off the stand, and sprawls it over his lap.

"Should I sing the song, now?"

Hell, no! "That's not really necessary, Jimin—"

The kid starts the first verse before I can finish my sentence, and I feel myself internally shrivel up, cringing. However, not at his singing. Like I said before, he has a nice voice that is quite unique, tugging the common ear to listen in on his technique. I don't doubt that the girls in the crowd will drool over his presence or his performance, as he will catch people's attention. He'll do a good job. I just remain unsure about Chaeyoung, and whether she likes him or not. I hope that if she rejects him, he won't think it's the end of the world.

I stare at the wall in front of me, hoping that I'd warp to another dimension, perhaps. Anywhere far from here. I tune in-and-out of Jimin's singing and distract myself with the subtle cracks in the wall. Then, I spin around in the rollie-chair until he performs through his outro.

It's undeniably awkward hearing someone sing, especially when I have nothing useful to say except for: "Good job, Jimin."

"Thanks," he bashfully smiles. "You think she'll like it?"

"She should. You two are friends, after all."

"I know, I'm just really hopeful and anxious. I think I'm going to practice for the rest of the—"

"No, you aren't," I shake my head in disapproval of the horrible decision. "Take a rest. You've been going crazy about this the entire day. You'll do fine tomorrow. It's supposed to be a fun day, Jimin. Loosen up about trying to impress Chaeyoung."

"But—"

"You won't mess up," I press. "You sang the whole thing without missing a key or a note."

Jimin sighs. "I guess, you're right."

I'm technically always right. "We'll talk more tomorrow about—"

My phone buzzes in my pocket. I raise an eyebrow. I fish the device out and stare at the screen. Nosy Jimin peeks over my shoulder, but I don't give a . I'm surprised to find that the person who texted me is...

"Joohyun, huh?" I catch Jimin smirk, but I ignore it. "What did she say? Stop ogling and open the message, will you?"

I send him a warning glare at his ability to be so pushy. "I'm sorry, is this your phone or mine? Back off, Jimin."

He slouches his shoulders and pouts, again. I ignore and slide the message open. I still sense Jimin's presence looking over my shoulder as I read:

Joohyun:

Hey, Taehyung. I heard Bogum invited you to his grandparent's shop next week. I was wondering if you could come on Friday since that's the day I'm off. Let me know if you'll be able to. Goodnight. See you tomorrow :)

Friday, huh? I check the mental calendar that I have constructed in my brain and find that I'm automatically free! I stare at the message for a while, letting it soak in. I heave a deep breath at the idea. Bogum and Joohyun will be there, along with the others, most likely.

Then, my lips start to twitch upwardly. It was also something that I didn't notice until pesky Jimin points it out:

"Aw, you're smiling!"

A sideways glare sufficed, so I threw it at him. "And, what about it, Jimin?"

What does that insinuate, exactly?

"Well, you never smile, and Joohyun has that affect on you, I see." He flashes his eyebrows knowingly, and I narrow my gaze at him. Again, what the hell is he insinuating by that? "Do I smell a crush in the air?"

I puff my cheeks in attempt to refrain myself from bursting out into a loud fit of laughter, but it comes out anyways. Jimin manages to say the most ridiculous things, and I have no idea why he bothers saying what come to his mind.

It just doesn't make much sense!

Come on, me liking Joohyun? In what ing world would I like Joohyun? Romantically, even? She used to be a best friend of mine that I'm slowly but surely getting to know again! There's no room for crushes.

"It's two weeks into the school year, Jimin. That's how long we've been officially friends again. What makes you think I have a crush on this girl?"

"Yah, I'm only teasing, Taehyung," he reasons, chuckling. I squint my eyes at him, unconvinced. "I just thought it was interesting how she makes you smile, is all. I guess, you two are really getting closer as time goes on, huh?"

"You can say that," I half-shrug.

"Makes sense. You, Joohyun, and Bogum should be able to connect quickly and easily."

"Yeah."

"You think she's cute, though?" My neck snaps to look over at him, and again, I shoot another threatening glare his way. He raises his hands in mock-surrender. "It's a meaningless question. I'm just asking."

Joohyun is also a friend of mine. That's weird. "She's attractive, but I'm not interested, if that's why you're asking."

She's more than attractive, but it's true: I'm not interested in anyone. Never have been. Useless crushes, mere attractions, and relationships are not my thing to begin with.

In my peripheral, I can see Jimin smirk, again. I stay quiet and stare at my phone screen, wagering that I should very much reply to Joohyun. Our chat is still open as I eye her message critically. I'm thankful that Jimin lets the subject get lost in the wind.

"Are you going to answer or what?" Jimin presses. I shush him and begin to type a message in response.

Taehyung:

Hi, Joohyun. I'll be there. I guess. Send me any other details. See you, then. Sweet dreams. :|

"Aw!" Jimin squeals, once more.

"Shut up," I bark.

"Sweet dreams~" He continues to tease, elbowing my arm repeatedly. That is, until my barreled-up frustrations revealed itself, and I shove him off his own chair. Well-deserved. He stands up and rubs at his backside. "Ow, dude! What's with the short temper?"

"You should know this by now," I say through gritted teeth.

"Jesus, remind me not to test you." He acts like my current behavior is unforeseen. I roll my eyes and let out a snort. I bounce off his rollie-chair and head towards his door. "You're leaving already?"

"What else am I supposed to do or say? I'm quite exhausted, so I'll be heading off to bed." Jimin mutters a bummed 'okay' and returns his guitar on its stand as I pry the handle. "I wish you luck tomorrow."

He'll need it.

"You're going to wish me luck again tomorrow, I hope," he chuckles nervously, rubbing his nape. "Remember, we have to leave at two, got it? No oversleeping!"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," I wave a dismissive hand in understanding and exit the room entirely.

Now that that conversation is over, and I've done my best to reassure Jimin, I let out a delightful sigh. I enter my room and drop my weight onto my bed. It's time for some necessary rest. I'm going to need it for tomorrow's festivities. It's going to be the first social event that I'll be attending in a while. I must prepare myself for a day full of activities, but apart of me believes that I'll be fine. I'm surrounded by good people, like Bogum said.

I tug my phone out of my pocket to plug it in the charger on my nightstand. I end up reading Joohyun's message, again. My mouth lifts into a small smile.

Then, to my surprise, another message from Joohyun pops up on the screen.

, I was already in our conversation, and it shows that I read it! Now, she must think I was waiting for her to reply. I facepalm and scramble out of the conversation. I shut my phone off and place it against my chest, not even bothering to read what she sent. I feel my heart race from sheer embarrassment.

Soon, I lift my phone back up and peek one eye open to read her recent message.

Joohyun:

:|??? You're expressionless through text, too?

I laugh a little.

Taehyung:

Shut up and go to bed, Miss. Class President. :)

I stare at the screen for a while before shoving the device off to the side to charge it up.

Wearing a peaceful smile, I fall asleep with ease.


A/N: As you can see, there's a change in perspective in this chapter between Joohyun and Taehyung. This will happen a couple times in the future, as there's been a desire for some insight on Joohyun's part.

Hope you're enjoying so far. :))