chapter fourteen

The Only

Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There

Oh, if only the sun's rays would obliterate me to pieces right now.

Why?

Well, school just ended, signaling freedom and endless possibilities.

I could be napping or reading The Talisman for the fiftieth time to be festive, but instead, I was in the courtyard with Bogum, Jimin, and the rest of the crew for a mini conference. It's targeting Taehyung day, because I won't agree on one thing...

"If you think I'm going to wear a ing costume to Fright Nights, you must be dreaming one crazy- dream."

I'm not bluffing, either. Jimin is out of his mind. Like, completely out of it. I'd say he's been mentally insane ever since I moved here. Announcing the most absurd requests has become another of his irritating character traits. Just as I begin to find this guy the least bit decent to hang around with, he pulls something like this! What, now that everyone's agreed on a day to go to Mystic Land (dumb name, right?), they all conjured up this plan to wear wacky costumes, too? What on earth are they on?

"Come on, Taehyung," Jimin begged, rolling his eyes. He turned to his right, giving Bogum and Jungkook one of those, 'isn't this guy lame or what?' looks. "Can someone help me out here? He's impossible to convince."

Yeah, I sure as hell am.

Kind of.

Well, recently, I haven't been declining anyone's requests, but that's because of peer pressure. But this one? It crosses the damn line! I'm not dressing up as anyone or anything. Engrave that in your brain, Jimin.

"I'm not good at persuading," Jungkook scratched the back of his neck. Namjoon and Jin nodded, agreeing through mumbles.

"Even if we tried, he'd say no," Bogum said, and I gave him a thumb's up. He knows what he's talking about. And, that's why he's my best friend.

"Look, I don't blame Taehyung for disagreeing," Yoongi lifted his hands in the air, chuckling. Jimin, Namjoon, Jin, and Jungkook gave him a sharp look, more so to keep his mouth shut and his feelings to himself. As you can tell, they're the ones that want to go in costumes. Losers. "What I'm trying to say is, if he doesn't want to dress up then we shouldn't force him."

"Yeah, Jimin," I glared at my cousin.

"But..." Jimin is relentless. "But we're not going to be the only ones that are going in costumes!" Seriously, his undying efforts to maintain his persistency after a thousand rejections is starting to get really, really annoying. "Dressing up is a thing during Halloween, you know."

"I get it, but why are you doing it if you're not obligated to?" My scowl of disgust deepens at the many horrid possibilities in the instance that I would agree to Jimin's idea. Look, I have my reasons—I mean, we are almost adults. We've outgrown that childish bull of wearing some foolish getups to an amusement park. I don't care if it's Halloween, either—nope, not a smidge.

"Oh, live a little, would you?" Excuse me? I put myself in plenty of situations that I'd rather not do! I sang at the Karaoke House in front of a bunch of strangers for crying out loud. That was miles away from my comfort zone. I'm lucky to have been blessed with a decent voice—so decent that I didn't shatter anyone's eardrums.

How's that for living a little, Jimin?

"Just hear me out, okay?" My persuading skills must be rusty. I can't remember the last time I've tested this out, but I'm shooting for changing the hell out of his and the other's minds. "The idea's wholesome and all. I guess. But, let's be real. Imagine all the weird and questionable looks that we'll get. It's not like we're ten-year-old's knocking on our neighbor's door anymore. We can go to Fright Night's, have a -ton of fun, and not worry about how lame all of us look as a group."

"He's got a point," Bogum said, crossing his arms.

"No, he doesn't." Thanks, Jimin. "Why do you worry so much about what people think?"

"I don't," I said, shrugging my shoulders. "It's an integrity thing. My pride? I don't want to shatter it."

"That means you care what people think."

All the guys laughed, evidently amused by Jimin and I's unnecessary argument. For once, he cannot be persuaded. I'm not sure if my skills have gone down the drain, or if he just really wants to attend with the spirit of things.

I sighed bitterly. "Maybe, I do. The point is, I don't want to look like an idiot."

"Then, don't," Namjoon said.

"Yeah," Jin nodded, "just wear something that's lowkey—something that won't make you stand out."

"And, what about all of you?" I asked, eyeing them warily. "What are you guys going to wear?"

Why am I afraid to hear the answer?

"Well, we're all are going to go as Marvel heroes!" Jimin grinned, pumping his fists in the air like he just said the most moving statement in the world.

As he and the others waited for my delayed reaction, I blinked a few times.

It's not rendering into my brain, so as straight-faced as I am, I asked:

"What?"

Bogum and Yoongi chuckled, embarrassed by the idea. They hid their faces in the palms of their hands, ultimately desiring to fade away into another existence. I'm glad that they felt that way, because once Jimin's words did render in, I facepalmed. Oh, it was loud, too.

"See?" Jimin gestured towards me, shaking his head in dismay. Jin and Jungkook started snickering. "He's dramatic!"

Costume-coordinating with the guys, huh? Much less, as an ensemble of Marvel superheroes? Can this get any worse?

God, out of all the nerdiest themes in the world, it had to be Marvel.

Oh, kill me, please.

Now.

I clamped my lips shut, refraining myself from cracking up. It'd only piss him off, so instead, I amusingly asked, "You're really shooting for standing out, huh?"

Bogum laughed in hysterics, giving me a high-five.

My cousin sighed, then proudly notes: "We don't mind, right?" A couple of uncertain mutters and hums followed, and I almost snorted. This was a joke, after all. "Is he starting to convince you otherwise? It's Halloween! Who cares?"

That's where Jimin and I are totally different.

Because, I care.

"I guess, but what about the girls?" I asked Bogum and the others out of interest. "What are they dressing up as?"

"I heard from Yeri that they're all doing their own thing. Whatever that ing means." Jungkook answered, shrugging. "It's a surprise, apparently."

Bogum turned, lifting a brow, "are they dressing up as a group, too, or...?"

"Nah, I don't think so," the latter shook his head. "Then again, she refused to tell me anymore details."

Jimin nudged my arm, and it's like I already knew what he was going to ask:

"Why don't you dress up as a Marvel character, too?"

"No."

"Please?" A pleading Jimin is quality entertainment.

"No."

"Fine."

His dejection caused me to rethink my answer. Of course, there was no room for changing my mind. I was not going as a superhero. That's final. But with Jimin's frown, guilt was eating me alive. My mind was scrambling for a possible alternative to his idea. It had to be something that's both tolerable and plausible for me to withstand.

That's when a glorious idea came to mind.

Ah, was glorious the right word? I mean, bearable.

"Unless..." I said.

"Unless?" Jimin and the guys sounded frighteningly robotic and in sync.

"I'll wear a costume, but on one condition..." Half of the guys gasped, stunned by my proposal. Nonetheless, they're listening closely, leaning forward in their seats. "If we change the ing theme."

"What?" Jimin squeaked, causing the others to jump. "No!"

"Guess, I'm not dressing up, then."

"Well, what theme do you have in mind?" Jin arched a brow, intrigued. "Maybe it's better than yours, Jimin."

"Hey!"

"Yeah, now that I think about it, I don't want to go as superheroes," Hoseok tried to sound apologetic whilst embracing Jimin's harsh glare. "I'm sorry, okay? It's just... I tried buying a Spider-Man costume last night and now I'm having second thoughts. One word: embarrassing."

"You know what, I agree. The Iron Man one was lame, too!" Jungkook cringed.

Why didn't they speak up before? I have more numbers on my side than Jimin's! It appears my persuading skills may not be so terrible after all.

"Whatever," Jimin folded his arms over his chest, resuming his state of silence. He was upset about everyone's mind switching up, but there's no time for paying attention to that. "Your theme, Taehyung?"

I leaned forward, cleared my throat, and presented my idea: "How about we all dress up as the killers from the slasher classics?"

"What, like Jason and Freddy Krueger?" Hoseok asked excitedly, clasping his hands together.

Who else?

I nodded, "precisely."

There was a moment of sheer silence—so quiet that I could hear my stomach grumbling. Their expressions collectively mirrored one another; half were visibly exhilarated, and the other half were neutral. I'm praying that my idea doesn't go to waste. This is way better than Marvel heroes!

"No offense, Jimin, but this is a much better idea," Bogum cheered, thrillingly rubbing his hands together. Jimin sighed for the tenth time. "I'm going as Jason. I'm calling it now."

"I want to be that cool-looking dude with the nails in his head," Jin's calling dibs, too.

"Hell-Raiser?" I curved an eyebrow, specifying. Everyone stared at me, unsure of what I was talking about.

Am I the only one that watches horror movies here?

"Uh, I think so," Jin was unsure, scrambling for his phone to check. He typed away while the others were their chins in thought. Due to the positive responses I was receiving, it seems that my idea is superior to Jimin's. On that note, I couldn't be any happier. "Yep, that's him!"

"Hm, then, I'm going as Freddy Kreuger." Yoongi smirked. "He's the only one that I know of."

That's fair.

"Your theme is the one we're going with, I see..." Jimin said more so to himself than anyone else. Puffing his lip out like a brat, he started to sulk, but Namjoon and Jungkook were there to awkwardly pat his back. "I guess, I'll choose that killer from Scream. Whatever his name is."

"Ghostface?" I asked.

"I think?" Jimin squinted, baffled. "How do you know all that , anyways?"

That's a stupid question.

"Horror movies are my thing." Sometimes, I'm stunned by my horror movie knowledge, too, but I can't help it. I'm a fan that knows too much.

"Nerd." Ha! Says the guy that wanted to wear coordinating Marvel costumes with his best buddies.

I'd reply with a, " off", but I left his insult alone.

In little to no time, the guys belted out into their own conversations. I couldn't even focus on one because they're all talking over each other. Half of them pulled their phones out and started searching for costumes. Then, they'd proceed to lean over the table and shove the devices in each other's faces to show how insane their choice looked.

I'm slightly surprised by the great feedback that I'm getting for my idea. I'm not too sure about how Jimin feels, but it's the best alternative out there. I mean, we're going to look frightening as hell. Isn't the point of Halloween to scare everyone in sight? Yes!

Later, I overheard Namjoon proclaim that he's going to be the Texas Chainsaw Massacre killer (Leatherface). Jungkook scrolled through Google for ages until he found the Jeepers Creepers costume and thought it was, in his own words, 'dope'. Hoseok went with the IT clown, Pennywise, which I'm not looking forward to seeing.

Anything clown-related is just not my style.

"Who do you have in mind?" Bogum asked after an eternity of living in my own head.

"Michael Myers," I said proudly. I was surprised that no one chose him. He's the most famous one, after all.

Before all of us dispersed and returned home, Namjoon and Jin conjured up an excellent idea. Basically, we're all going to lie to the girls and say that we're dressing up as superheroes, then on the day of Fright Nights, we're going to scare the living daylights out of them.

For once, I'm looking forward to one of their infamous pranks.


My habit of falling asleep during class has worsened, becoming unable to resist. By the time Mrs. Asuna's period comes around, I'm usually well-rested, but today was a different story. I couldn't stay up for the life of me. I didn't know if it was because of Mrs. Asuna's nonstop, boring- lecturing, or if the lack of sleep that I get is taking a huge toll on me—just worse than ever before.

Last night, I must've gotten three hours of sleep. It's the usual, but the difference is, the occurrences have doubled. On the bright side, there weren't any nightmares. Though, lately, I find myself having a difficult time falling asleep without a million anxiety-filled thoughts running through my mind. Most are out of fear, while others get graphic, just because I overthink all night.

It's unhealthy.

There're different instances that cause this. Sometimes, I'd just randomly wake up in the middle of the night, but I can't go back to sleep no matter how hard I try. It's like my thoughts eat away my sleepiness. Other times, it'd be the same gist but because of the nightmares. It's been two months, and they've managed to get worse somehow—the images that I see, I mean.

Like I said, it all fluctuates.

It's...hard to explain.

"Wake up," Joohyun's elbow rammed into mine, causing my chin to fall out of my hand. Oh, the nerve that she has. Even when I'm not dozing off, she does this.

"I am up," I whispered in return, eyebrows knitted.

"Doesn't look like it."

She's not wrong. My eyelids are barely open, closing completely from time-to-time, and whenever they do, I'm minutes—or, seconds—from falling asleep. Because it's one of the last periods of the day, it's very difficult to stay awake. Not to mention that Mrs. Asuna doesn't put any effort into hyping up the snooze-like atmosphere of this classroom.

Until the bell rang, I used every ounce of my focus to keep my eyelids from drooping. It was the longest hour of my life, but I managed. Joohyun smacking me like she's my own animatronic alarm clock helped, too.

Barely.

Still, I think I deserve a reward for my efforts.

"I'll be talking about the research paper next class, so be prepared. Have a nice day, everyone!" The once-quiet atmosphere in the room escalated to a ridiculous level once that bell rang. I'm pretty sure Joohyun and I were the only few that heard Mrs. Asuna's last-minute announcement. Everyone was either fleeing out the door to their next class or chatting up a hell of a storm with their friends.

"Tae, I can't walk with you after school today," Joohyun said, shoving some notebooks into her bag.

I looked up, already knowing the reason why. "Meeting?"

"Right."

I refrained myself from rolling my eyes.

"Figured."

"Then, I have to work." This is a sigh-worthy conversation. I was hoping we could walk to the plaza and hang out, but I guess that's out of the question. "So, tell Bogum, too, okay?"

"He's not coming, either." I mumbled, making sure my disappointment was evident. I threw my bag's sleeve over my shoulder and waited for Joohyun to finish packing up. "I think, it had something to do with baseball. He's pissed about the season being cancelled, remember?"

That's been a real bust for the baseball players. Jin, Jungkook, and Bogum are bummed about the team having insufficient funds for both the season and any needed equipment. For the past week, they've been trying to find a way to turn things around, like fundraising or donations. According to Bogum, the academy doesn't give much of a about any other sport besides football, basketball, soccer, and lacrosse. Baseball is at the end of the rope and the very least of their concerns.

Long-story-short: It's ed up.

", I almost forgot about that," she frowned, but it disappeared in seconds. "I have to call him after work. I've been trying to talk to the principal for the past two days about another alternative, but he either avoids the conversation or shoves it off to the side."

"Weird."

"Right?"

"Taehyung?" I was leaving the classroom when Mrs. Asuna called my name. It was a brow-lifter because she never called me to her desk after class. This was, indeed, a first. When I looked over, Mrs. Asuna was as stoic as always, but it looked scarier for whatever reason. Maybe because I was being targeted and the reasoning was unknown. "Can you come to my class after school? I'd like to speak with you about something."

Uh, oh.

"Yeah, sure," I glanced at Joohyun who pursed her lips and raised her eyebrows at me. If I could describe her expression in two words, it'd be, 'good luck with that', but the worrisome kind. It's like she already knew why I was being summoned.

And, in a way, I did, too.


"Do you want me to wait for you out here?" Joohyun asked.

"You don't have to," I shook my head.

It's time.

"Good luck." Thanks, Joohyun. I needed that.

Half of me wished that she didn't leave because now I'm alone with a frightening Mrs. Asuna.

"Don't worry, this won't take long." Am I witnessing Mrs. Asuna smiling? Is she trying to make me feel comfortable? I don't know whether this is a good sign, or if she's just preparing me for a reel of complaints. "I simply want to ask you a question. Perhaps a few."

Oh? Questions? Bad sign.

I nodded as if I was okay with the idea, but deep down, I wasn't. Everyone knows I hate answering questions. What is she going to ask, anyways?

"Is that okay with you?" Did she sense that it wasn't?

"Of course," I lied, again.

Mrs. Asuna reached for a stack of papers and folders on her desk, smacked them into an organized pile, then set them off to the side. Though, under that stack was a sticky note with some writing. I tried to scope out the words, but it was too small to read from here. She tore it off the table and skimmed over it with her eyes. It felt like years before she looked up and met my puzzled gaze.

"I've been keeping track of you for a few weeks now," she said, causing me to arch an eyebrow at her. "I would've said something sooner, but your grades don't appear to be in jeopardy because of your habits. And, frankly, I never noticed until recently that you sleep an awful lot in my classroom."

Damn, I should've listened to Bogum and Joohyun. They've warned me countless times about getting into trouble. In fact, I'm surprised that I've kept it going for this long without any questions.

Though, now that I'm about to be interrogated about my horrible sleeping habits, I sure hope that my lying skills are good enough to halt this questionnaire before it gets too agitating.

"So, does that sticky note have a bunch of strikes written across it or something?" I gestured towards the slip of paper, sounding a little bothered. It's weird being the main subject of Mrs. Asuna's observations every day, even if the purpose was to tally up all the times that I've fallen asleep in her class.

"Actually, yes." I'd audibly sigh, but that would make matters worse. "I keep track of all my students through day-to-day sticky notes, whether they're chatting too much or they're unproductive during class."

"That's fun." You can tell that I think so by how straight-faced I look.

"The point is..." Oh, I know what the point is. "You doze off in my class too frequently. It's so often that your name and your tallies take up half of the sticky notes every two weeks."

"Maybe you should buy larger sticky notes." I'm not kidding, either. I don't understand how she can read what she writes down.

"Kim Taehyung, this is not a laughing matter." I forgot how intimidating Mrs. Asuna looked when she'd scold someone. I averted my gaze towards my shoes because staring elsewhere is better than looking at her. "I'm not here to point out your wrongs, then give you a detention slip because of it. I'm worried about your wellbeing. Is there something that I should know? Perhaps a condition? Or, do you fall asleep in all of your classes because you're uninterested in listening?"

"No," I narrowed my gaze, pissed-off at the accusation. If I could stay awake, I would. It has nothing to do with my attention-span.

"No, what? Which is it?"

"No, I do not fall asleep because I'm uninterested in learning or listening."

"Then?"

"Does any of this matter as long as I'm not failing your class?"

"Yes, it does. As your teacher, I have the right to ask you because once you enter my classroom, you're under my rules. Believe it or not, you're violating one of them by sleeping. Have you not read the syllabus?" Growing irritated, I rolled my eyes. No, it was not an internal action. I made sure that she saw it. These questions were unnecessary.

"Oh, how could I not know every detail?" I muttered through a long, strenuous sigh. That sly comment wasn't meant for her to hear, but there's no avoidance to that. She's standing right there.

Though, it was clear: her patience has run low, and so has mine.

"Do you have a problem, Taehyung?" She's referring to my disrespect towards her. Honestly, I couldn't care less.

"More than one."

"I see." Oh, , she was angry. Maybe that was too much? Well, it was, seeing as she's grabbed ahold of a pen, before jotting something else down. Not a good sign. I squinted at the slip of paper on her desk, and all I can think is: . I know exactly what that is. "Since you're acting disrespectful and uncooperative, be sure to check in with Mr. Hikari right after school next Monday. My goal during this conversation wasn't to give you a detention, but it seems necessary, especially with the lack of consideration in your responses."

Just keep your mouth shut, Taehyung.

Breathe in, breathe out.

Take the slip and leave.

That's exactly what I did.

Hell, if she thinks I'm going to tell her any of my problems, then she's insane. Even if she wanted to know why I slept so much, that was not the right way to start off the conversation.

"At least we cut to the chase," I shrugged, already walking off and away from her. My hand shifted into a tight fist, morphing the detention slip into a crinkled-up ball.

"If I ever catch you sleeping in my class again, I will be calling home."

Great, another thing I must worry about. If Aunt Kim finds out about this, I have no idea what she'd do.

With the harshest scowl I've worn in a while, I left Mrs. Asuna's hellhole of a classroom. Across the hall, Joohyun was leaning against the wall, a binder in her arms.

What is she doing here? I thought she left.

Before I could blink, she hurried towards me, her eyes lightening up. Frustration was etched upon my features, and that signaled her to back off a little—more so, causing her to shift into a careful, tentative approach.

"Why did you come back and wait for me?" I dragged my feet across the hallway, tightening my grip around that stupid detention slip. This day just turned into a horrible one. "Don't you have a meeting to get to?"

"It's not for another fifteen minutes," she said. "And, I wanted to make sure things were okay."

The corners of my lips lifted, so I glanced over at her shortly. Joohyun has always been so considerate of others. Her caring words was comfortable to hear, and that may have brightened my mood a fraction. Although I don't look or act like it, I'm glad that she waited. Seeing her face alone was relaxing me. If she wasn't here, I probably would've been grumbling to myself the whole way home.

"Everything's peachy." That means that everything went downhill.

"What happened?"

I sighed and unclenched my fist, showcasing a balled-up piece of paper that she hesitantly took. We stopped in the middle of the empty hallway as she stared up at me, clearly perplexed. Before I knew it, she started to straighten out the page filled with creases. Meanwhile, she was playfully mumbling about how destructive I am. That made me smile. With knitted eyebrows, she read over the slip, then shook her head at it.

"I knew it," she said. "What'd you tell her?"

"I didn't tell her anything."

"Well, did you say anything to piss her off?" What, like a bunch of smart- remarks? I sure did! "Mrs. Asuna is usually very understanding. It's rare that she gives out detentions."

That's interesting to hear, considering that she's the female version of Mr. Heechul. He gives out detentions left-and-right.

"I guess, I talked too much," I rubbed my nape. "An overload of sarcasm is what got me that."

"You're kidding, right?" God, I do not want to be lectured by Joohyun, too. I see that my wishes aren't going to be met with the incredulous look that she now has on her face. "What'd you say, Taehyung?"

"Jesus, can we walk first?" She's pleading for answers a little too loudly, and I'm afraid Mrs. Asuna's observing me from a corner or something. We strode over towards the staircase, jogged down to the first floor, and stopped in front of the doors that lead us back into the hallway. Joohyun was still rereading the slip for whatever reason. "No matter how many times you read it, it's going to say the same thing."

She rolled her eyes and shoved it back into my hands. Aggressive Joohyun is here to stay, I see. Though, aren't I supposed to be the one fuming rather than her? I'm the one that got the detention.

Trying to be slick in ending this conversation, I attempted to leave through the doors, but Joohyun caught my arm, staring up at me expectantly.

"Tell me what happened." Correction: aggressive and demanding.

"Is it really necessary?" I don't want to talk about anything. "The detention slip tells you what you need to know."

"Not everything," she persisted, so I sighed, turning away from her to think.

I'm hoping she'll give me that.

Amid the overwhelming silence, I returned to the stairs and placed my foot on the bottom step. Shifting over to lean against the railing, I looked into Joohyun's eyes once more, and instantly  resisted the urge to heave another bothered sigh. She's thirsty for a detailed explanation of what happened.

I'll give her that, just so she'll make it to her meeting in time.

It looks like she'd stand here for ages until I told her something.

"That weirdo, Mrs. Asuna, has been keeping track of my sleeping habits for a few weeks or so."

"A few weeks?"

"Or, so she says."

"So, why did she wait until now to ask you about it?"

"Because, I'm not failing her class or whatever." I my lips, frustrated at the thought. "She might've brought it up because it clicked in her mind that I'm most likely cheating my way through her class."

"You're not, though."

"Well, she thinks otherwise," I said. "She had the nerve to ask if I had some sort of condition, too. Which, I don't. It was basically just a whole -ton of annoying questions that I didn't want to answer."

"You hate questions," Joohyun acknowledged, biting her lower lip in thought. My eyes followed her every move, specifically the way she was fiddling with her own fingers. "Is that why you got mad?"

"That, and she just doesn't know how to talk to someone without being slightly rude about it."

She nodded slowly. "I see."

"Look, don't worry about it. I had it coming. Plus, detention's not that bad." According to Jungkook and Jin, it's practically a free period at this school. I can do a lot with an hour. "By the way, your meeting starts in five minutes. You should get going."

"Okay," she turned to leave, but I knew that she'd pause. Her obvious hesitance showed that she had something else to say. "I'll try to talk to Mrs. Asuna about retracting your detention."

"Don't be ridiculous, Joohyun. That's impossible." Even if she is the class president, I don't think she has that much power.

"Mrs. Asuna and I talk often. Not only am I her favorite student, but she listens to me."

"So, you're going to tell her to take back my detention?"

"No, I'm going to mention what a great student you are and hope that she'll have second thoughts." That ploy sounds like something straight out of a movie or a show. Yeah, it sounds that ing outrageous.

"How are you so sure that's going to work?"

"I'm not, but it's better than not trying at all. I have privileges to use, you know." I flashed her an amused smile, and she returned it. She's got plenty of points. "And, if it worked with Bogum once, then it should work with you."

"You're impressive."

"I know," she playfully winked, flipping her hair like she's the . She might as well be, because who thinks up something so creative? "If my plan doesn't work out, will you still commend me for trying?"

I smiled.

"I'll think about it."

"You better."

I rolled my eyes, amused at this girl's willingness to waste time. She's going to be late to—oh, it, she's already late.

"Will you get going?" The only way to urge her forward is to grab her shoulders, spin her around, and guide her towards the door. So, I did, and she giggled as a response. "How are you the class president, again?"

"Shut up." One of her punches to the arm usually hurts, but thankfully, it didn't this time. "I'm going now, okay? It's not a big deal."

I hummed, nodding.

"I'll see you tomorrow, then?" She asked as she slowly backpedaled in the opposite direction.

I nodded in confirmation, then waved while I watched her leave. For a second, I feared that she was going to trip over her own feet. She's clumsy like that.

Now that she was gone and out of sight, I stood in the same place for another couple of minutes. For the twentieth time today, I sighed aloud. I wished that she didn't have to go to a stupid meeting, but that's just me being bummed out.

The halls were unusually empty—maybe, a little too empty.

I was heading towards the other end of the building when I heard a piano being played—very nicely, may I add. It was faint, but with how deserted the school was, I caught onto it. It was coming from the room up ahead. The more I walked forward, the more prominent it became.

It was the music room. I stepped in front of the small rectangular window to peek inside. There was not a single soul in sight—pretty much vacant. The lights weren't on because the sunlight seeping into the classroom was enough.

Towards the right, I found the piano and its player at the far-side of the room.

My eyebrows raised, recollecting exactly who it was:

"Rose?" I muttered to no one but myself.

The streaks of light beaming through the windows had practically highlighted her presence. I must've stood there for minutes, just observing her face as she played. It was a mesmerizing sight, simply because of how beautiful she looked while doing so.

As time gradually passed, I caught onto the melody of the song that she was playing over-and-over again. She was practicing it. Her eyes kept flicking between the placement of her hands and the music sheet that's in front of her. Whenever she'd mess up the tempo or press the wrong key, her eyebrows scrunched tightly, followed by her features tensing up in frustration. Then, soon, relaxed once she'd start up, again.

I smiled a little, deciding to stay a few more seconds, which was idiotic of me. It was impossible to avoid the many thoughts that rushed into my mind, distracting me all the while. She reminds me of myself the last time I played. It's sad that I can barely remember when that was, or what I was playing.

Just as I was about to turn and leave, the worst thing that could have happened, did.

Rose's eyes lifted to meet mine. Oh, talk about horrible luck and timing. The embarrassment that I had now internally felt was almost unbearable. At first, she was stunned, before beginning to wave at me with one of her shy smiles. I swallowed harshly, realizing that I'm an absolute creep for watching her through this tiny ing window.

God, should I just walk away?

Yes, that's what I'm doing because I just got exposed and there's nothing worse than that.

Frankly, I'm ashamed of myself.

As I repetitively facepalmed, I tried to gain some reasonable distance by speed-walking. I was too busy labeling myself as a creep and an idiot that I didn't notice Rose was right behind me, pulling on my arm to stop walking. I didn't want to face her. No, not after that. Though, persisting on walking away would make this situation seem even more weirdly laughable.

Eventually, I did look her in the eyes. It's not like I had a choice.

She was prettier up close.

"Hi, Taehyung. Why'd you walk away?" Rose asked, amused. I can visibly see that she's biting back either a smile or a laugh—maybe, both.

"I don't know." I scratched the back of my neck awkwardly. There was no logical explanation other than the fact that I'm flustered as hell. "Probably because I felt like a creep for standing there and watching you from afar. Sorry about that. I just feel very embarrassed right now."

"It's okay. I could tell." I may have made her giggle, but now I just feel worse, so thanks for the reassurance, Rose! "You should've came inside."

"I didn't want to interrupt." That was a dumb reason, considering that I managed to do so, anyways.

"I don't mind interruptions." Shivers: that's what I felt running down my spine. I don't know if it's the way she said it or what, but damn, she's unreasonably attractive.

Since when did she get so bold?

That's not something a shy girl would say.

I sighed, but not aloud, scrambling for something to say next.

The only thing I offer in this conversation is awkwardness and discomfort.

"I'll keep that in mind." I said, smiling a little. "It was really nice—what you were playing, I mean."

"Thank you. Really." I nodded in response. "I was practicing for the upcoming contest that's happening in a month from now. It's not that big of a deal, just a small audience and some judges. My duo partner is out of town for the week, so I've been practicing by myself."

Performing; I miss it.

"I have no doubts that you'll do great." I'm not bluffing, either. With all the practice that she puts into it, the result will surely be astounding.

"You think so?"

"I don't lie," I stated. "Well, not at the moment, at least."

At that, Rose laughed. "I appreciate it."

I simply continued to smile because her laugh was adorable.

Who wouldn't think so?

"Sure thing. I'll leave you to continue your practice." I cleared my throat. "Again, sorry for interrupting, even if you didn't mind it."

"No worries." I barely turned around before she said something else to stop me. "I often practice by myself after school, depending on my partner's availability. If you'd like to come in and listen to the whole thing, then you totally can. Interruptions are welcomed. Seeing as you used to play and all, I'd like to hear your input."

Oh? Does my opinion matter that much?

My gaze met hers instantly, and I curved a brow, trying to figure out the reason behind that invitation. She looked hopeful for a positive reply.

Then, I smiled, feeling like teasing her. "Is that just an excuse to hang out with me?"

"W-what?" Stammering over her words is a cute trait of hers. For a second there, I thought she was finally getting comfortable with me. It seems like I've got her in a nervous bind with a single question. "No—well, I—Maybe?"

"Maybe?" Well, I surely didn't think she'd admit it. "Is that supposed to be a yes?"

"Um..." Why does she get so easily flustered?

"I'm only teasing." As soon as I chuckled, she let out a breath of relief. "I'll come sometime this week, then. Does that sound okay with you?"

"Sounds great," she grinned so widely that it was difficult not to admire. "I'll be here."

"Okay. See you, then."

I snorted as Rose skipped all the way back to the music room.

Mind you, she's the one who's a supposed 'playgirl', according to Joohyun and some of the others.

Yeah, I don't believe it one bit.


A/N: Welcome back! I'm glad to be. The days have been a little busy lately, but I'm happy to start writing, again. I'm sorry for the delay. This chapter was decently long, almost 6k words? Not bad. This one actually delves into a few important things that occur in the future, so I'd say it was necessary.

Bright side is, next chapter will be fully Joohyun's perspective, so look forward to finding out some secrets. Maybe it'll answer some of your questions. It's going to be interesting. Since I started that one before this, it's already partially written!

Anyways, I hope you liked this update (at least a little). I'm going to try to update normally again, but I do have classes to worry about, so be mindful. Thanks for waiting and most of all, enjoy!