chapter ten

The Only

Take My Hand 

 

"Can you wish me luck, again?"

"I've wished you luck like forty times already, Jimin," I drone in annoyance. This guy has been overthinking for the past five minutes. He's shaking in his bones. Anxiety is understandable, but he signed up for this days ago. I reassure him as best as I can, the guy settles down, but it doesn't remain that way for too long—to my dismay. He's just naturally a nervous wreck. I glance over and see that he's clutching onto that guitar-case like his life is in his hands. It pretty much is. He treats that guitar like it's his prized possession.

Silence presents itself amidst the warm, salty air. I breathe it in and immerse myself in the environment.

We're on our way to the beach, now.

Not too far away, there's a well-known, outdoor plaza called Sunset Destiny, a lively circuit filled with a wide-variety of neighboring shops that consisted of clothing stores, salons, dine-in restaurants, bars, and various areas for entertainment purposes: movie theaters, bowling, ski-rinks, etcetera. From drinking in its many details and structures that covered acres of land, it was vast—almost overwhelming. I can tell that it was a hotspot for tourists. Huge money-maker. Jimin informed me all about it as we briefly passed through several shops, but since I have eyes and a decent understanding of the area, it wasn't necessary.

Sunset Destiny—it sounds like some made-up name from a fiction-based story that takes place in an alternate universe. I must admit; the name sure has a nice ring to it considering how close the location is to the ocean. It must attract loads of people, too. It was on the verge of tugging me to discover its many mysteries, and we both know that that's difficult to achieve.

Jimin and I—now—stand in front of the wooden trail that leads you to fall directly into the sand. It's a little bit of a walk down, but all that's separating us from the water is this trail. My eagerness to see the sight is about to explode. If only someone wasn't shaking in their swim trunks.

I place a comforting hand on Jimin's shoulder.

"Take a deep breath, will you?" He does as I command. Slowly but surely, I can see that my advice is working. He's simmering down. Thank God, I didn't know what else to do, but say a few words of encouragement and assurance. "Don't worry about it for right now. We're here. Let's help save the earth a little, take in the view, and when the time comes, just take another breath. It's going to be fine, dude. Swear."

"Yeah...Yeah, you're right." He scoffs, shaking off all the nerves in an instant. I arch an eyebrow—both entertained and confused—as he starts bouncing his weight off one foot to the other in attempt to hype himself up. It was as if he was gearing up for a fight or something. I cough out a light chuckle and give him an awkward pat on his shoulder.

"That's the goddamn spirit," I present him with a reassuring thumbs-up and step onto the wooden walkway that stretches across in a straight line.

I try to search for the end, but it seems almost infinite. My hand hovers and lightly brushes against the rail as my sandals slap against the platform. I eye the cracks in between the planks. We hover over some greenery. The closer that we approach the end of the walkway, the more that the grass begins to lessen, and the pure grains of salt become more prominent. The saltiness that the water spits into the air reaches my nostrils once more. I bask in the feeling for a while, letting it take over my mind and my senses.

This refreshing feeling that it instills within me—It's inexplicable. It all feels so undeniably familiar, like I've treaded over this boardwalk a hundred times and then some.

That's when I remember that day with Joohyun by the river. That photo album encased a picture of me, her, and Bogum at the beach long ago--our toes smothered in the sand whilst mustering up three goofy grins that plumped up our chubby cheeks. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

Could this be the same beach that we used to go to?

I want to ask Jimin, but I don't utter the question aloud. I'm too dug into my relaxed mind to say much. I just live in the moment, and maybe eventually, an answer will come.

My incoming thoughts puzzle me even further, shoveling me in a state of awe:

Because, this...

This feels like home.

The inner contentment drifts away into the ing wind once I realize that my face is drowning in a billion grains of sand. Yes, I'm pretty sure that I just tripped and fell. I cough and spit out the granular substance that managed to get in my mouth, swiping the back of my hand across my lips.

Jesus Christ, way to be an absolute klutz, Taehyung.

My gaze follows the obnoxious amount of laughter erupting from Jimin who stands like an on the sidelines. He sets down his guitar-case to clutch at his stomach with one hand whilst doubling over in the process, pointing an amused finger at me. I roll my eyes and clench my jaw in agitation as he observes my clumsy get off the ground.

"Would you stop laughing?" I spat through gritted teeth, vigorously ruffling a hand through my hair. A cloud of sand falls to where it belongs; the ground. I'd kill him if we weren't at an event that's associated with school. I'd probably get kicked out trying to strangle him. "It's not funny."

"No, it was the funniest thing I've ever witnessed. One minute, you were walking, smiling, and having a good time. Then, in the next, you missed those stairs and tripped over your own feet. All I saw was your tumbling into a pool of sand! God, if only I recorded that..." I tune out his comedic tangent about the humiliation that I just made of myself. I was inwardly boiling as he continues to spew words through another loud laugh. I can't stand this kid. He wipes away some tears that manage to fall from his eyes. "...You just made my day. I'm not even nervous anymore!"

"Oh, I'm so glad that you found that amusing," I laugh sardonically, then I mumble to myself: "Piece of ..."

"Don't be mad! The solution is simple. My advice to you, my man, is to learn to be more aware." If I wasn't angry before, I might as well be, now. He's just rubbing it in my face. His subtle sarcasm doesn't help. "Are you alright, though? Did you break a bone? Swallow too much sand, maybe?"

"Shut the up," I curse, but he cackles in hilarity, smacking the side of his knee in a good ole hardy-har-har.

Whatever, I'll let him have his laugh. At least, his nerves are gone, and I don't have to deal with his anxious self anymore. Let me not jinx it, though. I look around to knock on some wood—to my dismay, there's none—and although Jimin's hollow head would make a great replacement, I wanted to ignore the guy.

I turn around on my heel, and I'm hit with instant beauty. My eyes widen in admiration. My vision zeroes in on what's important, shoving everything else out of the imagery. The cloudless sky was a light blue, reflecting off and mirroring the ocean. It looks like a perfect painting, moving in real-time. From above, the sunlight glints and sparkles against the cerulean water. I marvel over how clear it is. It makes the view even better. I begin to feel excited for the sunset later. It's only a couple hours away, and if I thought the view looked fantastic now, it's going to get a thousand times better. God, I can already see it.

My eyes throw in the unimportant stuff into the setting—more so, all the random groups of students crowding the sand by the shore. Most were in their own little groups or cliques of friends. In their hands were bags and hand-held extension grabbers, presumably to snag the trash off the ground. Some stationary groups gather in one place to clean up and others walk up-and-down the seaside to chat, grabbing stuff along the way. I couldn't spot any of Jimin's friends anywhere. No sign of Bogum, Hoseok, or Joohyun either.

"Here's an extra bag and a grabber for you," Jimin hands the materials over as he collects a set of his own. I twist and turn the tool in my hands, examining it closely. Ha, I never used one of these before. You can really mess with someone with one of these.

That's when I feel something—metal—wrap around my ankle tightly. I freak out and screech, only to find out that it was Jimin using the damn thing on me. Did he read my mind or something? I should've expected that from him. This guy's mind is equivalent to a child, but apparently, so is mine.

I huff and glare: "It's for picking up trash."

"I know, that's exactly what I'm doing." He chuckles like a total goof.

This guy.

He's getting bold.

I mimic his laugh in mockery.

"I see you got a lot of jokes up your sleeve lately," I cross my arms over my chest. He pisses me off. Ah, might as well have some fun while we're at it.

I bounce into a fighter's stance, diverting into a competitive and more intimidating mindset. I start snapping my own tool at him, and he smirks, getting the gist. Before we know it, we begin a fight in the middle of the sand, sparring with a pair of grabbers. It was like a fencing competition, more so. Whoever pokes or touches the other first wins. He screeches as I snag his side, and I find myself laughing hysterically.

Look who comes out victorious now!

Jimin tries to target my arm, but I jump to the side, dodging his slow attempt.

I stick my tongue out playfully, "Too slow, los—"

That's when I hear someone clear their throat behind me, getting our attention. I cringe at the sound, coming to an abrupt conclusion that our playtime is over, and we're about to be kicked out.

It was difficult to turn around. I was expecting to face someone that's in charge, so I lower the tool to my side. In preparation, I straighten my fighter's stance into a goody-two-shoes type of posture. All I had to do was picture Joohyun standing in front of me, and I got it on the nose. The point is to emit obedience and respect. For some reason, Jimin was still laughing aloud. I have no idea why, since we're probably in deep .

"Hi, Joohyun," Jimin greets with a wave, and I raise an eyebrow at him.

I spin around to find Joohyun herself, standing quite tall—despite her shortness—and with an authoritative approach.

Oh, well, well, well—speaking of the goody-two-shoes student that I imagined. How convenient.

Her arms are folded over her chest, casting a piercing glare at me and Jimin.

I must admit; for the first time, she looks like a legitimate class representative. All composed and serious with that bossy demeanor of hers.

Our eyes meet instantaneously. That temporary glare washes away and tugging at her lips was none other than a small smile. The emotionless look in her eyes started to sparkle with amusement, presumably from the childish scene that she just witnessed. I spot Sooyoung skipping up behind her, but I don't take the time to notice her yet. Joohyun looks—

"Hey, Sooyoung." That was Jimin, again.

I open my mouth to say something, but I can't find the words to utter a greeting. I clear my throat, shake away any incoming thoughts, and look at the pair. The class president and the vice president wear coordinating sundresses; Joohyun wore white while Sooyoung had a light pink one on. My mind flits to the memories of the first day of school. The way they wear similar clothing styles quite often is pretty cute. I stare for so long that I now notice they were alarmingly transparent. The outlines of their swimsuits seep through the thin material.

God, as if she isn't already a magnet for erted eyes. I gulp and force myself to look away.

Indeed, it was quite a dangerous realization.

Get your mind out of the gutter, Taehyung.

"Hi," is all I say, sounding like a shy squeak. Sooyoung replies with a simple "Hey", though Joohyun stays quiet, scrutinizing me like she's a teacher.

Would she quit it? It's stressing me out, despite how adorable she looks.

"You do know that those tools are for picking up trash off the beach, right?" Of course, Joohyun chooses now to act overpowering with her title of being the class president. Oh, I'm sure she just finds this all hilarious. That unwavering, comedic gleam in her eyes hasn't gone away. Don't think I overstepped that, Bae Joohyun. "It's not to be used for some kindergarten-like sparring match."

Way to kill the fun, am I right? I scoff and nod my head because of course, I know that. I figured that I would mock Joohyun's forced layer of dominance that she's somehow mustering.

"Of course, miss. We apologize for our childishness, right, Jimin?"

"O-of course," Jimin stammers hopelessly, and I have no idea why. That is, until I follow his line of sight over towards the shore. Nearby, his crush stands around thirty feet away with Dahyun, Seulgi, and Yeri at her side. I nudge his arm to not be so obvious.

"You know, you two are a little late to the clean-up. I don't think I'll be able to grant you those community service hours," Joohyun continues to further bum me out. Like, come on, we're your friends! Not like I need hours or anything, but it's plain as day that Jimin does. He stares at her in disbelief, and starts yapping at her to change her mind, apologizing profusely. "We specifically said to arrive before it starts. You two had to sign up on the list as proof of your attendance."

"Oh, forget about that," Sooyoung steps in, gives her best friend a look, then waves her statement off dismissively. How bold of her to talk to a higher position of power like that. "They're here now, aren't they? They'll start helping right away."

"Yeah, Joohyun, come on. Now is not the time to take your class president title seriously." Jimin presses, showcasing a pleading grin. He clasps his hands together, hoping for approval. For once, I agree with him. This was useless. Joohyun knows that she can't put us down like that. It's not capable in her soft, warmhearted soul (cue the sardonic laughter). "Like Sooyoung said, we'll get started right away. If you want to take anyone's community service hours away, it should be Taehyung. Blame him. He overslept."

What the hell did I just hear Jimin utter? Is he falsely blaming me? This kid is out of his mind for throwing his own cousin under the bus like that. It's not even the truth!

My neck snaps to look in his direction. The audacity. My intense glare was enough to make him wince and cower in fright, but I go the next step in giving him a necessary shove.

"Don't speak lies. I'm not the one to blame." I say incredulously, narrowing my gaze. The girls giggle to themselves. "I woke up at a decent hour unlike you."

"I—"

"It's fine, guys," the class president mutters under her breath, then looks over at me. I can see it in her eyes—she was just teasing, like I pointed out beforehand. She is something else, really. "Seriously, though. No fooling around, got it? I'm only warning you because that's one of the rules that we have in place."

As if she was the captain in charge, I lift my hand up to my forehead and motion a dramatic yet playful salute. She laughs under her hand covering , and I smirk. No one else notices our interaction.

"So, where are the guys at?" Jimin asks, craning his head over the large crowd.

Sooyoung informs, "Actually, Namjoon, Jungkook, and Jin are looking for you. If you keep walking down towards the left, you'll find them by the rocks."

"Okay, thanks." Jimin nods in appreciation.

I study Joohyun as she stares elsewhere—more so, off into the distance, presumably looking for any sign of trouble. She clutches a clipboard close to her chest, the end of her pen tapping her bottom lip repetitively. It appears that she's in thought. I admit that she does a good job at staying in leadership mode, accepting no funny business, but taking things lightly all the while. It's quite hilarious how unthreatening she appears to me, no matter how hard she tries to look tough. When we first met, I thought the opposite. Now, not so much. Since she's a friend of mine, I've come to understand her motives and all the little things about her. It's simple to undermine her. She's very easy to mess with, and even easier to piss off.

"Are you coming, Taehyung?"

"Maybe," I lie to Jimin, because I was not coming along. Space needs to be implemented between us. I look at Joohyun who's writing something on her clipboard and ask: "Is Bogum or Hoseok around?"

She smiles and nods, answering without lifting her head up, "Bogum is by the volleyball net with Hoseok, actually."

Perfect.

"We should get going. Seungwan is waiting for us," Joohyun says matter-of-factly, shooting us a direct look that was not the least bit intimidating. "Have fun, but not too much."

I roll my eyes at her. Sooyoung says a verbal goodbye with the wave of her hands, and I nod in return. Jimin says something to Sooyoung, but I don't tune into that conversation.

I stare after Joohyun as she leaves, instead. Like the hem of her dress, her long hair billows in the wind, all out of control. I my head to the side as I run my eyes up-and-down her figure. It's difficult to look away. What she's wearing doesn't help, either. I do notice that her energy is different today. A good different.

Jimin smacks my shoulder. "Wipe that drool off your chin."

"Shut up," I grumble, giving Joohyun one, last once-over. "What were you and Sooyoung talking about?"

"Nothing much, she just asked me something about Bogum."

"Bogum?" Why would she ask about him?

"Yeah, they're having some issues, so I'm acting as an informant between them."

"Issues?" As in, friendship issues? Or, relationship issues? The only reason why I suspect that is because I do recall that Bogum was having girl problems a while ago, so I wonder if this has any correlation.

"It's so stupid," Jimin sighs exhaustedly, swiping a hand through his hair. "Sooyoung likes him. It's not a secret. Everyone knows. I've been helping her out with giving her subtle information. Not too much obviously, because Bogum and I have a code, but they have this thing. Kind of." I snort aloud. So, this isn't only an unofficial relationship, but a one-sided attraction. That creates a plethora of problems within itself, screaming nothing but toxicity. Bogum and Sooyoung is a huge surprise, nonetheless. This whole time I figured Bogum and Joohyun had something going on under the seams, but it seems like my ability to detect love-interests isn't too successful.

"So, they're hooking up?" I curve an eyebrow.

"Yeah, it's ing toxic," My thoughts, exactly. "Sooyoung's a nice girl. I care about her. Since we're good friends, I want to help her, but then there's Bogum. He doesn't like that I'm in the middle of all this, but what else am I supposed to do?"

"Well, you can let them figure things out on their own," I say. "I know that you and Sooyoung are friends, but Bogum is your best friend, too. That situation is weird to begin with, and frankly, it's none of your business."

"I know, I just don't want Bogum to hurt her even more."

"Bogum doesn't like her at all?"

"He says that he doesn't," Jimin shrugs. "He proceeds to say that he's just using her, but Bogum isn't like that. He's not careless, inconsiderate towards someone's feelings, and he's surely not an . Something's going on with him. Hell, I thought he was in love with Joohyun all this time."

I guess, not all childhood best friends end up as lovers like I originally had predicted.

I didn't realize that I replied, "I thought so, too."

It's like a surprise unveils itself every day.

A surprise that never fails to lift a brow.


The sun is ruthless today.

Worst thing is, there's not a single cloud to help me out.

The more that I walk and stand around, the higher that the temperature seems to increase minute-by-minute. My arms, my legs, and the back of my neck was being impaled by the merciless sun. At least I'm not facing it. Making things worse, none of us can jump in the water. Not even for a little while. In truth, this is a beach clean-up. We're supposed to pick up trash, not swim to abolish the heat. That's defeating the purpose of being here. It wasn't until the two-hour mark that we were informed that we would be able to take a plunge soon.

At that, my anticipation builds.

One thing is for sure—I had no idea that picking up trash off the beach was so exhausting. It seems rather simple to think about, but goddamn, it's a ton of work. I must've picked up a dozen cans, plastic wrap, water bottles, empty potato-chip bags, beer bottles, and bottle caps. There was a lot of those. Oh, and ing used cigarettes. That was the worst one. There was more than I thought there'd be. It really opens your eyes and your mind to the world around you, realizing how ty people treat it. It's upsetting, but hey, it's a great feeling when something is done to help.

Amidst the scorching heat and the tirelessness, walking and chatting with friends or enjoying the view is a great distraction to pass time. I found myself staring at the ocean a lot, watching the waves crash various times like a broken record. It was nice; the sound of the waves. I could fall asleep to it.

I spent the rest of the clean-up with Bogum, Hoseok, Jimin, and the rest of the guys. From time-to-time, I'd participate in the conversation, but I observed more than anything else. The group is undoubtably very close, like brothers. They could go on forever, joking around and talking about all sorts of . I couldn't even keep up with them. Bogum and Hoseok are more on my level since they're more tranquil and quieter than the others.

Eventually, Jimin had to leave. It was time for the performances to begin. Contrary from earlier, he seemed more confident. There was a large line of performers that signed up, and I'm pretty sure that Jimin was at the end of it. Most of the signees were music club members. Including us, the gigantic crowd of students gathered near an elevated, wooden platform to watch everyone put on a show.

At first, my expectations were low, but those that signed up had surpassed all of that. The majority did solo performances with impressive instrumentals. An array of violinists, guitarists, drummers, and other musicians performed some cool- pieces of music of their choice. It was spectacular to witness, and it was no joke whatsoever. These people came to showcase their talent, and it was endless. There was another portion of students that sang covers of songs either by themselves, with another person, or in a way larger group. Some even sang originals, too, like Jimin. It was insane. It was a full-blown concert at this point. I was expecting some bad seeds, but there was none.

There was one performance that pulled at my heart strings negatively, locking me in a mentally manifested room to recollect various depressing memories. It was the only stage that I paid attention to the most. Although I was left in a pit of sadness, it was beautiful to listen to. I was absolutely enveloped in the way that this girl played. I didn't know her name, but that wasn't necessary. All that I needed to know was that she was a pianist—a great one, in fact. She carried her electronic piano on stage and started to perform this emotional piece by a video game that she loves. It was deep, fulfilling, and meaningful. I could hear every single emotion in the keys that were pressed. I became mesmerized by the song, stuck in the moment that would soon end.

It was so gravitating that I feel a lump form in my throat.

No, not now.

As difficult as it was, I swallow it away.

It's not simple to place me in a state of peace but hearing a piano always gets the job done. She played it with ease, skill, and efficiency. It never fails to grab me, and I think that's why I feel so connected to it. Besides my mother and all, of course. Even when the girl stopped playing, the keys and the notes continued in my head. That's how wonderful it was.

I tried to recognize her. So, I observed her from afar as she thanked the crowd for listening and walked off stage. It was no use; I didn't know her.

After a few more performances, Jimin was finally up next. It's time to pay attention to this one. Not to him, but to Chaeyoung. I crane my head to the side and spot her standing next to Dahyun and Yeri. Luckily, she wasn't too far away, and was perfectly angled to be able to catch her reaction with ease. The point was to see if there was a familiar spark in her eyes. Jimin's singing makes a girl melt like that. Once he begins strumming some chords on his guitar, I can already see the girls swoon and fall to their knees.

I inwardly roll my eyes.

Though, I do proudly smirk at the glow of confidence that he's emitting. It's true: when it's showtime, his nervousness flits away into nothing. It's almost automatic, like a flicker in his mindset. His ability to sing so well continues to amaze me. I mean, why isn't this guy signed with a record label or something? He could become an international sensation in days! He's got the talent, the looks, and...yeah!

That's enough compliments for Jimin.

It's more than halfway through the song when I glance over at Chaeyoung. I'm unable to read her mind, but that proud smile on her face doesn't go amiss. Of course, that could mean nothing romantically, but it's good to take note of. That's the point of this evaluation in the first place. I'm searching for any glimmer of a possibility. A little sign of hope, perhaps. That complacent, admirable smile grows and capsizes, but it's always there. It never wavers.

His melodic singing comes to a soothing close. The crowd goes wild. Clapping ensues as Jimin takes an appreciative bow on stage, a joyful grin never leaving his features. After setting his guitar aside, he happily hops off the platform and slides passed the crowd of students to find us towards the back. As a group, we congratulate him plenty, tell him how well he performed, and continue to focus on the last performer. I spot Jimin chatting with Chaeyoung, Seulgi, Jin, and Dahyun. Once those three disperse, it was only Chaeyoung and Jimin left. I smile and look away, hoping that something greater is achieved in terms of their relationship.

I didn't tune in for too long for the performance as Bogum and Hoseok pops up by my side with collective smiles on their faces. I take short side-glances at them both, lifting an eyebrow. These two have something on their minds. Under Hoseok's arm was a volleyball.

Bogum leans in and whispers: "After this performance, we're all going to head over to the volleyball net to play a match. You in?"

"Uh," I think about it for two seconds, leaning towards accepting his offer. I'm in the mood to be competitive. I shrug nonchalantly. "Yeah, sure."

"Perfect," Bogum smirks excitedly, and hisses over to Jin: "Yo, Taehyung's going to play, too. We got our third."

Jin nods, giving us a thumbs-up.

"Who else is playing?" I ask.

"Only the guys," Hoseok answers this time, "Jungkook, Jin, and Jimin are one team—The J trinity."

"The J trinity?" I repeat incredulously. I was so close to gagging for dramatics. What kind of team name was that? Most importantly, whose idea was it?

Bogum and Hoseok start cackling silently at my appalled reaction.

"Yeah, I know. Lame. They're also pretty at the game, so don't get nervous," Bogum snidely adds, patting my shoulder. Amused, I chuckle along with them. "We would have larger teams, but Namjoon and Yoongi can't play volleyball whatsoever. It'll just be a three-on-three match."

I analyze our team in a panoramic glance, and even I'm intimidated. , I wager this will be an easy game, especially if 'The J Trinity' aren't much of a competition. I inwardly snort at the name, once more. I'm not even trying to boast. I genuinely think that we have an excellent shot at this.

Twenty minutes come and go with ease. The guys and I are on our way over to the volleyball net that's miles in the other direction. I want to meet up with Jimin to ask about his conversations with Chaeyoung since I've spotted them together a couple of times, but I couldn't even find the guy. There's probably no progress, anyways.

To be honest, the crowd is so massive that it's difficult to find people. Weird thing is, I haven't seen Joohyun in a while, and I have absolutely no clue where she is. Sooyoung, Seungwan, and some of the other girls are probably with her. Joohyun's most likely off doing her presidential duties, but still. Every time I wander off somewhere, I scan the area to see if she's around. Then, when I don't see her, I feel bummed-out and hope that she pops up randomly. I don't know why I'm trying to keep tabs on her whereabouts. I guess, I just want to talk to her or whatever.

"Alright, we're going to take the left side. You three are going to take the right," Bogum situates as the six of us stands on either side of the volleyball net.

Jungkook whines, crossing his arms, "Why are you the one picking?"

"I don't know, isn't it all the same?" Bogum deadpans, impatiently shifting his weight off one foot and onto the other.

He's not wrong.

"No, he actually has a point this time," Jin said, wagging a finger towards the sky. I look up. Oh, the sun. That's right. We would have an advantage since the sun's not in our eyes. "The sun's going to be real to deal with. It'd be a disadvantage for us."

"That's true," Hoseok thumps a finger against his chin thoughtfully. Snapping his fingers together, it appears he has come up with a conclusion. "Let's decide by a game of rock, paper, scissors, then."

Posing as a distraction, my phone vibrates in my back pocket. I let the guys battle it out to see which team wins the better side of the net since I don't care. I end up drifting out of the conversation to rummage through my pocket, tugging it out and stepping aside. My eyes light up at the contact name shown on the screen.

Joohyun:

Would you like to watch the sunset with me later?

I smile absentmindedly.

Taehyung:

Aren't you too busy keeping an eye out for troublesome students?

Please, say no.

Joohyun:

Yes, but I get a break, too. See you there, then? I'll bring something memorable.

I quirk an eyebrow in confusion.

Taehyung:

Memorable? Should I be scared?

Joohyun:

No, you'll see. Maybe it'll jog your memory.

It'll jog my memory. What is she bringing, an item? Maybe. Another photo album? Unlikely. Now, I can't help but wonder what she means. A billion possibilities come to mind, but there's no point in guessing. I'll most likely be wrong, anyways. I truly hate surprises.

My curiosity continues to bug me even when the volleyball match starts.

Our team won the rock, paper, scissors match, so we got the advantage.

I force myself to focus on the game rather than Joohyun's unnecessary mention that she's bringing something. It cultivated a whole mystery that I needed to figure out in my mind. Let alone that the anticipation of watching the sunset with her is distracting enough.

Namjoon and Yoongi are the referees on the sidelines, taking note of the score as time goes on. Jimin and Jin are terrible at the game. Jin has too slow of a reaction-time, and Jimin is only a little faster. Jimin bothered to switch spots with him, but it didn't make much of a difference. Plus, their hand-eye coordination is hopeless. Jungkook is the only decent player. He was complaining the whole time that his team , which was rather entertaining for the rest of us. 

Bogum is also great at spiking, so it was simple to get the upper hand in the first fifteen minutes. Hoseok and I are good at defending and hitting the ball back.

Five more minutes pass, and our team was leading by a decent margin. Jungkook got some lucky shots in. He called a timeout to talk to his teammates. It's a little more than halfway into the game. We need to reach a certain amount of points to win.

Off towards the sidelines was Chaeyoung, Seulgi, Yeri, and Dahyun cheering for the boys on the other team since we didn't need it. Me, Bogum, and Hoseok start chuckling to ourselves as we observe the three across the net, panting for air as they try to consult about an alternate victory plan.

I swipe the sweat off my forehead as Bogum and Hoseok run over to give high-fives, passing on some last minute words of encouragement, too. It's way too damn hot for this . Hoseok and Bogum strip their shirts off, and I mimic their actions, throwing it off to the side. That's much better.

Why the hell didn't I do this a long time ago?

Jungkook's team jogs into position. In preparation, I crack my knuckles and rest my hands on my knees, bending into a ready position. I eye Jimin as he hurls the ball into the air and smacks it over the net. It sails over with ease, and Hoseok slides to his left, hitting it back. It refuses to touch the sand as everyone successfully sends it over back-and-forth. Every pass is perfect. That is, until I spot Jin get ready to spike the ball. Once I calculate his next move in time, I sprint towards the net and bump the ball to fly straight into the air.

"Nice, Taehyung," Bogum commends. That set up one of my teammates to jump up and hit it over. Hoseok calls it his. It cruises to the other side with alarming agility and precision. I'll be surprised if they hit this. Jimin dives to smack it, but he's too late. It lands straight in the sand.

Another point for us. Namjoon and Yoongi cheer for our side. I think, they're biased.

Jungkook growls in frustration and starts barking at Jimin. Jin calls another timeout.

To show off his perfect hit, Hoseok starts playfully bowing in all sorts of directions. The girls start giggling at him. Bogum and I fist-bump each other, then congratulate Hoseok for his spectacular gameplay.

"That wouldn't have been possible for that nice- pass," Hoseok points at me. "That was a great one, dude. Way to stay alert."

I nod, "Nice communication, too."

"You want to join the volleyball team next semester?" Bogum prompts with a playful wink.

"I would, but it's not my style."

He shrugs. "At least, I tried."

A dozen successful hits, misses, spikes, and a triumphant win later, me, Bogum, and Hoseok meet Jungkook's team at the net to not only rub in our victory, but to hear them congratulate us. Jimin and Jin said it with ease, but it was more difficult to hear it from Jungkook. The guy's a horrible, sore loser. It was hilarious.

Yeri hurries to his side to comfort him through his loss. Dahyun goes to Jin, patting him on the shoulder, and for once, they look like they don't hate each other. Namjoon and Yoongi dive into a conversation with Seulgi.

I walk over to pick up my shirt off the sand, shake off all the grains, and then throw it over my shoulder. Now that I'm soaked in sweat, it would be a great time to take a plunge in the water over there. I don't want to get in trouble, so I won't risk it for now.

That's when I remember: I should check up with Jimin to see how everything's going. Not that I care too much, but I am his wingman, after all. Just when I was about to look for him, I end up finding him alongside Chaeyoung.

I conduct another hopeful search for Joohyun. To my dismay, I don't find her anywhere.

I sigh.

Where could she be?

Then, I realize that I need to take a trip to the restroom. I asked Bogum and Hoseok where the nearest bathroom was and found it a little farther away in the distance. I trudge through the steaming sand and make my way over. I spot one of those overhead shower areas with a hose sticking out at the bottom. I washed all the sand off my feet and splashed my face to get rid of the layer of sweat. I go ahead and relieve myself. Yes, I washed my hands.

I leave the restroom and turn the tight corner, only to bump into someone a little too harshly.

"Oh, ," I curse at my inability to watch where I'm going. It was—now—that I notice it was a girl; a girl I don't automatically recognize. She tips over and falls on her . It takes every sliver of my being not to laugh at the humiliating tumble. Now I understand why Jimin cackled so hard at me earlier. I shake away my thoughts. I need to say something before I look like an , "I'm really sorry about that. Are you alright?"

"Um, yeah...I think. I'm sorry, too." She rubs at her forehead that crashed into my chest mere moments ago.

I scramble to lend out my hand for her to take. She eventually does, muttering a gentle thanks. Her hand is quite small in mine. I help her up to her feet and let go. She brushes herself off with the swipe of her hands. It was kind of my fault, but she starts giggling at her own clumsiness. Her pale cheeks redden—it was quite adorable. I smile softly at her, analyzing her features for any sign of a familiarization.

Ah, nothing.

I do notice that she's rather fidgety. Is she nervous right now?

"That was totally my fault, by the way. Um—" I watch bob as she takes a harsh gulp. Yup, this girl is nervous. Hm, I wonder, are these one of my "many" admirers that Jimin talks about? Nah, I shouldn't assume. "—I should've watched where I was going. Again, I'm sorry."

"No need to explain," I reassure, her nervous rambling initiating a ghost of a smile to touch my mouth. It was cute. She manages a hesitant lip-smile, too. I ponder what brings out her shyness, though. I don't suppose that we've ever met before...unless, we have...? Something about her looks so familiar. I can't catch onto it, but I feel the need to ask: "Do I know you?"

The mystery girl parts her plump lips to speak, and my keen eyes dart to inspect them.

It is—now—that I take account into how pretty she is. Her long hair—dyed to an alluring shade of jet-black—twists into a lovely braid that lays over one shoulder. Her eyes reflect mine in terms of shade, but they were dowsed in evident innocence and purity. Like an anxious child, she bounces her weight off the back of her heel to the front of her foot. In front of her, her hands interlock and wringe, like it's a habit. It's difficult to overlook. It adds onto this introverted demeanor that she gives off, but my assumptions may not be entirely true.

"Well—um—no," she stammers, and it's as if I was expecting it. Her hand slaps her forehead in embarrassment. I let out a light laugh. I've never met someone that was so timid. "I mean, I don't think you do, do you?"

Those last two words sound hopeful. I stare at her a little longer, intricately diving into her features. I was too busy racking my brain for a clue until I notice that she shrivels up under my scrutiny. I think, my stare is making her feel insecure.

"Sorry, I was trying to figure out where I recognize you from..." I trail off, until it finally hits me like a wave. I snap my fingers. "Wait, you're the pianist. You performed today, didn't you?"

The girl nods and smiles bashfully, her cheeks tinting, again. She twiddles her thumbs and focuses on her hands.

Suddenly, I have so many different thoughts come to my mind. Being a pianist, or an ex-pianist, I want to jump into a conversation. I feel like I can connect to her somehow, despite not knowing her. It's only natural.

Plus, what's a greater conversation-starter than a topic of similar interests?

"Your performance—it was emotional and beautiful," I choose to compliment her, and another comfortable smile makes its way upon her features. "I remember that you mentioned it was from a video game. Would you tell me which one it's from?"

"Oh, it's from a Final Fantasy game," she informs proudly. It seems her shyness is beginning to fade away. "If you ever want to hear it online, just search up, 'Eternity: Memory of Lightwaves'. It never fails to get me emotional."

"Got it," I nod as I watch her walk over to the shower-heads, "Anyways, are you a part of the music club or something? Have you always played piano?"

"Yes, to both questions. I've played ever since I was four, to be exact," she cranks on the hose and aims it towards her sand-covered feet, spraying the grains away. "I like reading the sheet-music to games that I've played. I'm attracted to relaxing soundtracks. I learn all the ones that grab me. The one that I played earlier is my favorite."

Fond with what I heard, I lean against the railing, agreeing with her.

"I used to play piano, but not so much anymore," I chuckle awkwardly, hoping this doesn't ramp up an unneeded conversation. If it does, I'll admit that I set myself up. Mystery girl shuts off the hose and analyzes me. She moves closer and presses her back against the railing, too. "The last time I played was February. Sometimes, I miss it, but...I just..." I look over at her, uncertain with how I should word this. She raises a curious eyebrow, expectant for an explanation. "I don't connect to it anymore."

She hums unsurely. "How long have you been playing it?"

"Ever since I was able to walk," I let out a shaky breath. This is hitting sensitive territory. Again, why do I persist on talking about this?

"Do you genuinely like playing?"

I nod my head.

"Then, what's holding you back?"

My dead mother used to play it, too. She taught me all that I know.

It's a depressing nightmare that overplays itself if I even press a single key.

A constant reminder of the tragedy.

I feel a familiar, uncomfortable tightness in my chest. It's the sign of heartbreak, loss, and agony that inevitably shows itself. I fall too far into it. It takes over for a while, shoving me to unveil all the sad memories that are hidden away in my head. As a distraction from it all, I try to focus on my hands and pick at my fingers nervously. Amidst the silence, I avoid her suffocating gaze.

"Are you okay?" Her fingers comfortingly graze my forearm to reach out to me, but I step away from her. She notices this and apologizes. "I didn't mean to put you down by asking a bunch of questions. I can tell that you feel disconnected from it for a reason that may just be too much to talk about right now."

"Yeah," I say barely above a whisper.

"My name is Roseanne, if you didn't know. You can call me Rose." Thank God, she's changing the subject. My surprised gaze lands on her hand that's outstretched towards me. I ogle at it, confused, but then I understand. I force myself to shake it. I distract my racing thoughts with her name, fond of it all the while. It's quite lovely. "You must be Taehyung, right? Jimin's cousin?"

"Yeah, that's me," At this rate, I'm pretty sure the whole school knows me. I clear my throat justly. "Yeah, sorry about that. It's nice to meet you, Rose."

"You, too." This diversion of conversation into a slick introduction was what I needed. It calms me down. "Let's talk, again, sometime?"

I doubt it.

Little did I know, this wouldn't be the last time that we speak.


Somewhere, Jimin and Chaeyoung are on a lonesome walk together. In which, now that it settles in, I'm glad that my stubborn cousin finally took some of my advice. Jungkook and Yeri are by the rocks a billion miles away, or so it appears to be. Namjoon, Yoongi, Jin, and Hoseok are with Seulgi, Dahyun, and Seungwan. Apparently, they all ventured to the bustling Sunset Destiny plaza to grab something to eat. I wasn't necessarily hungry at all, so I didn't go. I caught Bogum with Sooyoung along the way, saying he'd bring something over afterwards, but I wasn't counting on it.

Plus, I was waiting for Joohyun. Again, I have no clue where that girl is. It's like she disappeared or something. She hasn't texted me at all. As I'm now alone, waiting, I notice something that I'm grateful for: the beach was not as suffocating as it was earlier. Students are either walking on the sand, swimming close to the shore, or are roaming the plaza for the same reason as the others.

I plop myself on the sand, wrap my arms around my knees, and stare out into the infinite horizon. The sky was somehow still clear, a few wispy clouds here and there, but for the most part, the view was more pleasing than before. Just like I predicted.

The evening sun cascades a mix of orange and yellow hues, creating a relaxing and ruminative atmosphere. After breathing in the beauty with my eyes, I flutter them shut and urge myself to hear my surroundings. It's something that I like to do quite often. I force myself to create a mental image using the sounds that I hear. It's a good way to relax nerves or to simply take the mind off something stressful.

I heave a deep breath and exhale slowly.

The timely whooshes of the incoming waves. Squawking of... is it seagulls? I peek one eye open to verify.

Yeah, seagulls.

I smile. I could almost count the approximate number of seconds it takes before the waves crash, again. Almost. It tends to change every time, resulting in the unpredictability of it all.

I wish I could stay here forever. If only time would freeze, right?

During my inner conversation, there was a little detail about my surroundings that I didn't take account of, only because I figured it was a random passerby. It was feet crunching against the sand, signaling that someone was approaching. Then, a presence fills the spot beside mine. I slowly flutter my eyes open and find that a light blue popsicle was right in front of my face.

My eyebrows raise in surprise, not really pointing out the sweet dessert, yet. I curiously turn my head towards—what becomes—a source of importance, finding Joohyun with the widest, and happiest, welcoming smile displayed on her lips. Subconsciously, a grateful grin develops on my own. It may be a little cheesy to think, but this view was just as beautiful. Maybe, it exceeded the other. Once those thoughts rendered in, I didn't mentally gag like I always do. All I feel is that burst of energy jolt through my veins, once again. Now that she's finally here, that hidden exhilaration returns, and all my worries—my thoughts—are falling into oblivion.

I shake away the mushiness that's running through my mind right now. The me two weeks ago would've called myself a total loser, but I just shrug it off, and hope it never floats back into my head, again. I conclude that it only occurs when I'm looking at Joohyun, and I've come to terms with the effect that she has on me. It's become crystal clear.

Anyways, time to cover all that up. Joohyun is on the verge of pointing out my happiness, and we don't want that.

I wipe the grin off my face, morphing it into a sly smirk. I recline back, my arms and hands supporting my weight. I dig my fingers into the sand as I tease,

"It's about time."

Like clockwork, her pretty smile disappears. I snort at my victorious attempt at pissing her off. Sick of it all, she huffs out a breath, and her bangs get carried with it.

"I highly doubt you had a problem waiting for a little while."

"Correction: I did have a problem." I lift a finger in the air. "Double correction: it wasn't a little while. I've been sitting here for more than twenty minutes."

Lies—it's been five minutes, but was I going to tell her that? No, it's all about getting on the girl's nerves.

"Oh, someone's a little impatient," she her head to the side, mimicking the teasing smirk on my lips. I eye her warily, feigning a scowl. "Sorry, I had a job to attend to. Did you miss me that much?"

"You wish," I roll my eyes and throw her a necessary glare, a hint of slight amusement in my tone. It's not that I missed her. No, I wouldn't go that far. I just like her presence, and I would've liked to talk to her more than I did.

That's not equivalent to longing.

"Shut up and take this," Oh, the ice cream. That's right. Now, why did she bring this, again?

"What's this?" My fingers lightly graze hers as I take the frozen, sugary delicacy in my possession. I examine it attentively, twirling the stick around in between my fingertips. I look back at her and await an answer.

"I can't tell if you're feigning ignorance, judging by how serious you asked that question. Are you suddenly unable to comprehend a common dessert?" She deadpans as if it wasn't obvious enough. Great, here comes a reel of smart- remarks. Gotta' love those. "What does it look like, Taehyung?"

"I know what it is," I seethe, rolling my eyes at her irresistible tendency to mock. "I mean, why did you bring this for me? I don't recall mentioning that I wanted a damn popsicle stick."

"You didn't have to," she responds, half-shrugging. "Don't you remember my text from earlier? I was hoping that a glimpse of it would jog your memory, but I see the plan failed. You're as clueless as ever."

I stare at the dessert, blink one-too-many times, and figure that she's right. I am as clueless as ever, but that's not my fault. Nothing rings a bell.

"Now, taste it," she demands, elbowing my forearm.

almost do as she commands, halting my movements before it enters my mouth.

I curve an eyebrow, sensing Joohyun's persistency on observing me like a hawk. It was quite noticeable, and if I'm being honest, it was bothersome. I glance at her in my peripheral. Her knees are up to her chest as she hugs them with her small arms. I notice that she has yet to taste her own ice cream. If only she wasn't so busy watching me so intrusively.

I say, "Is it necessary to observe me like that?"

"I'm waiting for your reaction."

"I can rightly tell. Jesus. Are you expecting my memories to return once I taste this popsicle or something?" Not a single peep comes from Joohyun, so that was a clear indication of my suspicions being right. I laugh in absurdity. "I regret to inform you that that's not possible."

"And, how do you know? I don't suppose you have a degree in psychology." Yeah, and neither do you.

Joohyun looks away and lifts the dessert up to her lips. It was, um, hard to not watch and get flustered. I blame the small percentage of my brain containing the tendency to think like a prepubescent child that just entered middle school. My throat suddenly goes dry, so I swallow to moisten it up. I try my best not to be dirty minded during this meaningless moment, but it's impossible. Everyone knows the ual innuendo with popsicles—It's a running joke!

I inwardly flick myself and stare off into the distance. The immaturity that I'm exuding today is endless. I blame Jimin.

"You know, I've heard that there's many ways to regain forgotten memories. I read on the internet that although it's hidden from the conscious mind, you can do specific things to bring it to the surface. There's everyday activities to improve your memory, but it could—I repeat, could—occur by returning to places you've previously gone to, eating certain things, looking over physical forms of your childhood, like photos, videos, and—"

I unintentionally interject her by snickering a little too loud.

"What's so funny?" YouThis subject of conversation. Your continuous efforts in curing my amnesia.

It isn't that simple, Joohyun.

With an entertained grin, I wag the popsicle in her direction, "you looked all that up on purpose, didn't you?"

"I'm not sure I catch your drift, or what you're insinuating behind that look on your face." Oh, please.

"Isn't it obvious? You're trying to help me remember my lost memories. Since you have no idea where to start, you looked on the internet for any possible ways to do so. Am I wrong?" When no answer came, I place a hand over my heart mockingly, wiping a fake tear off my cheek. "I can't believe you'd do all that just for me. Really, it warms my heart, Joohyun."

"You're so annoying," That was my goal, but I see that she isn't denying it. I smirk, and my heart does, in fact, skip a small, subtle beat at the effort. "Now, would you start eating that before it melts away in your hand?"

"Pushy, much?" I chuckle at her sudden evasiveness. Just as I was about to let my taste buds get a whiff of this treat, Joohyun stops me. I scrunch my eyebrows at her. "What is it, now?"

"Can you guess the flavor?" That sounds like a test.

"And, for what reason? Can I just eat it already?" I proceed to lift it up to my mouth, but she pulls my hand away. This girl is mad annoying. One second she wants me to devour it, and next thing I know, she's distracting me all over again.

Her face, once filled with excitement, automatically fell. It was as if she was smacked with instant realization.

", I forgot that you don't remember. Anyways, that doesn't matter. It's this little game that we used to play when we were younger," she sighs, explaining. "Every other Saturday, you, me, and Bogum would walk to the plaza nearby and go to the ice cream shop. Now, we were different from the kids in town, maybe a little too adventurous. Instead of the normal, boring flavors that the shop offered, we would buy this one. It's called the Starlight Mystery, which is self-explanatory—It's a goddamn mystery every time that you bought one. Upon buying it, all three of us would watch the sunset together at this very beach. At the end of the day, it was always a challenge to see who would guess the flavor correctly, and whoever won wouldn't have to do homework for a whole week. The losers, or loser, would do it.

"What if we all got it right? What, then?"

Joohyun giggles reminiscently, shrugging her shoulders: "I wouldn't know, none of us have ever guessed the right answer at the same time before. Most of the time, we would go weeks without a winner."

Feeling melancholy, I ogle at my feet buried beneath the sand. I wiggle my toes as the water rushes up to the shore. It cuts short from reaching us by around three feet before retreating to where it came from. It's now that I wish I was able to remember things like that.

Hearing her reflect on those memories with ease makes me envious. It would be nice to recall it without having someone else inform me. It all just sounds like a story that I can't relate to anymore. It makes me inwardly frown, but I force a genuine smile. My old life; my childhood; it was still comforting to hear from another point-of-view.

"Wait, so does that mean if two of us got it right, the loser would have to do both of the winner's homework?"

Joohyun nods in confirmation. "That never happened, though."

"How difficult is this game, exactly?"

"Very," she emphasizes, and for reference, she lifts her half-eaten ice cream bar in the air. "This light blue popsicle right here has over twenty different flavors and combined in just one bar is a mix of weird yet surprising tastes. I'm sure that's what confused us all years ago. It wasn't just the standard assortment like cherry, blue-raspberry, or orange all-in-one, Taehyung. That'd be too obvious. The shop has their own recipe with their own wide selection of names. Every year, on the shop's anniversary, they release another new mysterious flavor, driving us all insane in the process."

I was baffled. "How the hell would you know what all the flavors are called, then? Isn't that a little confusing?"

"Yes, but once you've eaten it entirely, the name of the flavor is on the top end of the stick."

"Oh, so you'd be able to find out once you're done?" My mouth was agape. It was like unveiling a present, then. She wasn't wrong—a mind-boggling mystery is what it was. "As children, how did any of us have the capability of guessing correctly? I couldn't imagine differentiating the flavors."

"It took a ton of ice cream bars, that's how. Though, after a while, all the flavors start tasting the same."

"I bet," I snicker, amused. "So, who was the one that usually won?"

"You, but the occurrences were rare," she drones monotonously, and I muster a proud grin at the thought of my triumphant, younger self. "Bogum was terrible at recognizing the flavors and sadly, so was I."

Growing eager and running out of patience, I bite off the tip of my own bar. It was just beginning to melt, so I had to get to it. I didn't think all this conversation would be so distracting. Not that I'm complaining. Hearing Joohyun talk about the past was interesting.

My eyebrows furrow as I explore the contents in my mouth. I can't quite catch onto the flavor whatsoever. It's all quite scattered and unexpected. At first, an explosion of cotton-candy hits my taste buds. Now, not so much. It starts to lean towards strawberry...? Then, a drop of...is it mango? What the hell is this? It's giving me a giant fruit-punch vibe with a splash of cotton-candy. Then again, that was downright random as hell, so it didn't seem anywhere near correct. It's not like I can remember the names, but I figured that I would comprehend the taste and roll with it.

I shrug my shoulders hopelessly.

"Did you just bite into it?" Joohyun looks like I just committed a crime. "And, you aren't in pain?"

"Uh, yes, I bit into it. No, I'm not in pain. Problem?"

"What kind of normal human-being bites into their ice cream?"

"Someone that doesn't have sensitive front-teeth," I smirk mockingly. "You know, there's no wrong or right way to eat ice cream. Just because you feel an ouchie in your teeth every time something cold hits it, you're not validated to tell others how to eat their dessert."

"There obviously is a right way, and that was not it."

Joohyun loves to argue unnecessarily.

"Oh, yeah?" I challenge. "What's the right way, then?"

"You have to on it, first."

Oh, the evident nonchalance in the way she said those words. That alone caused me to choke on my own spit. I bite down on my bottom lip in attempt to restrain the fit of laughter that begs to come out. There was nothing to distract my thoughts with!

Dear God, I'm spending too much time with Jimin.

I glance at Joohyun who's unaware of what's going on. I give her a laughable, knowing look to insinuate the reason of hilarity. Then, it hits her as she rolls her eyes so severely hard that she may have caught a glimpse of her own brain.

Just like that, I couldn't hold my cackles in anymore and set them free, like an oppressed bird from a cage. The more I suppressed it, the more it worsened!

"Here's to thinking that you were mature," she groans in dismay, and I couldn't help but feel slightly—not really—offended by that. I am quite mature for my age. I'm a guy, what can I say? Occasionally, I catch onto an unintentional ual reference, and I automatically think, 'that's what she said!'. Of course, I was not going to say that aloud. Again, I blame my cousin. "Then, I conclude that you're still a teenage boy, after all."

I snag another bite off the ice cream, pleased with the mixture of tastes, and swallow, "oh, come on, live a little. You have to admit, it is pretty funny."

"It's funny for someone that's immature," I roll my eyes dramatically. She's no fun. "Anyways, changing the subject—turn your body towards me."

With an arched brow, I observe Joohyun as she takes the last bite of her popsicle, glances at her wooden stick, smiles, and twists her body to face me fully. Turning ninety-degrees, I find myself scoot closer to her as I mimic her actions and sit cross-legged, our knees inches from touching.

"Finish your ice cream first," she orders. "Is it good?"

I nod in contentment.

"What does it taste like to you?"

"It tastes like a wacky- fusion of fruits with a subtle hint of cotton-candy," I utter unsurely. "Weird mixture, but for all I know, I might be mistaking the cotton-candy for something else."

She hums, "no, you're not wrong."

"You're kidding, right?" How does this taste so good?

"Nope, you have the right idea," she smiles with her lips. "That's one of my favorites."

"Might be mine, too." One of her favorite flavors, huh? I ogle at the portion that's left on the bottom and outstretch it towards her. She curves an eyebrow in confusion. "Do you want the rest?"

"No, it's okay," she negates my offer with the wave of her hands, "It's yours."

The corner of my lips quirk, insisting: "Take it, I can see you ogling the damn thing from here. You're not scared of cooties, are you? If so, I hate to break it to you, but that makes you the immature one."

In utmost amusement and joy, Joohyun lets out a heavenly laugh that I begin to mull over and admire for too long. It's adorable how one of her eyes gets smaller than the other.

Once her giggles subside, she proceeds to deny my offer:

"Seriously, I'm okay. Enjoy it. I bought it for you."

At that, my heart softens.

"Are you sure?" She nods, and I shrug, happily doing so. "Suit yourself."

Well, that was rather considerate of me.

Mere moments pass as I devour the rest of the bar.

"Now, what's the flavor of yours called?" I ask out of curiosity. "Is this where the game starts?"

"No, this is where it would end, and we find out the winner. Initially, I wanted you to guess, but throughout my whole explanation, I realized that there's no way you'd be able to do that." That's a very valid point. Joohyun passes on her wooden stick over to me, and I slowly retrieve it.

"Why are you giving me this?"

"So, you can keep it."

"Why would I want to keep a sticky piece of wood?"

"That's what you used to do back then." She smiles in commemoration, appearing as if she was trapped in some sort of wonderful reverie that consists of only the past—the happy times. "You used to taste all of Bogum and I's ice cream, then save all of our sticks, too. Just for the name. I think, that's why you won as much as you did, as competitive as you were."

It was weird: the recalling of the past should've made me smile or laugh at my weird tactic of winning the challenges.

Though, amidst all of that, I feel the corner of my lips being anchored to form a sad frown, instead.

As Joohyun hurdles through various segments of memories, voicing the smallest of details, I notice that behind her small, dazzling smile is longing; the type of longing that screams for those times to reoccur. It seems like she wants to rewind time, simply to re-experience everything all over again because things in the present are much too different. I can see it now—that melancholy twinkle in her eyes that manages to reverberate against my heart, leaving a mark. The more I see that she cares, the more I can hear its desperate echoes, calling out to reminisce with her; to make her smile genuinely.

The agony worsens once I realize that I can't.

No matter how hard I try to dig into my conscious mind, nothing presents itself.

My gaze darts towards the two wooden sticks laying in my hands. They were a little sticky from the ice cream, but I didn't mind it. I study the words on the top end.

Amused at my findings, I feel my mouth quirk up, but only a smidge, as I read the bolded-font: Blitz O' Cookies.

That was hers.

I turn over mine and read: Tropical Fontana Deluxe.

Now, my first thought would be to make the absolute fun out of these outrageous names, but I don't do that.

I don't smile because I find the names undeniably stupid, but because of this precious moment. I believe that I'll cherish this for days to come.

Out of habit, I at my lips, and steer my attention towards Joohyun. She's studying the sunset disappearing deep into the horizon. It was laid out in front of us—to view, to take in, and to admire.

I glance back at her.

That pensive look is still in her eyes. It was so evident that it emits off her and into the air, making it clear to me.

That's enough.

I clear my throat, but that doesn't catch her attention. That is, until I stand up and lend out a hand for her to grab onto. She tentatively does as her eyebrows shift forward, puzzled once more, so I reassure her:

"Let's walk for a while. The sunset is nicer that way."

"Okay," is all she says, managing a smile. She releases my hand and dusts her dress off.

I sense Joohyun's questioning stare drill into my back as I inch closer to the sea, wait for the water to soak my ankles, and dip the wooden sticks to wash off the stickiness.

"This is—now—a physical representation of today's memory," I return to her side, referring to the wooden sticks that I've placed away in my front pocket. "Although I can't recall the past, like you or Bogum, that doesn't mean new memories are unable to be formed. Today, within itself, is a memory that I'll never forget, again. Don't you see? It's beautiful to be able to remember, but every day that passes, there's always going to be something new. Like, right now, I'm here. It's been a long number of years, and a gruesome past couple of months, but I'm here, now. There's room for a new start, and that calls for new memories to be made."

I don't look at Joohyun right away. I think that unnecessary ramble that spewed out of my mouth surprised me, to the point that I spaced out. Maybe, that was too much, but I hope it somehow reassures her. I suppose that I've been saying a lot of things recently, and the reason lies in the person that walks alongside me.

Could things be getting easier?

It feels like it.

But that may just be because I'm spending time with Joohyun. She has a way of making me feel comfortable in whichever setting I'm placed in, forgetting about everything that ends up disturbing me in my sleep.

"A gruesome past couple of months—"

"Don't, Joohyun," I warn.

Meekly, she apologizes straightaway: "I'm sorry."

Silence emerges between us. I breathe a long sigh out of my nostrils as another wave splashes against our ankles, immersing our feet into the water for the shortest moments. It eventually flows away, doing the same however many seconds later.

"It's okay," I mutter. She doesn't mean anything by it. My perception of Joohyun has shifted not only immensely but easily, and it doesn't irk me as much as before. Along the way, I pick up a medium-sized branch and play with it amongst the deafening silence.

Joohyun soon urges me to stop walking, clasping her hand around my wrist. I raise an eyebrow, and as I look at her now, the orange-tinted atmosphere accentuating her lovely eyes and bouncing off her pale skin, I wager that I'm unable to look away. I swallow with difficulty. That is, when I notice her saddened eyes.

"I don't want you to ever feel like I constantly seek the answers to my questions," she begins, and I can see the hesitance, "I have many, but nonetheless, I respect your wishes. I just want you to be aware that I'm here for you, no matter what it is. I don't want you to feel alone or upset. I don't care how much time has passed—you were my best friend long ago, but that still stands, and that hasn't changed. Do you understand?"

I just nod.

For once, I can't find the words to say anything. My thought-process is a little obstructed, too. I can feel the consideration and the reassurance delivered in her words, skimming over my heart and imprinting it there—just so I wouldn't forget, and that I would never underestimate her unrelenting will to help me.

I won't.

I tend to shock myself further:

"Someday, I'll tell you, answering your questions all the while."

I make myself believe that loneliness is acceptable. These past few months of torture that I've gone through is only a set up to another phase of my life—a phase that's starting soon. I dismiss others by not letting anyone accompany me, but recently, I've been forced to interact and understand those around me.

I guess, I just let things be.

Doing so, I've realized an important thing; Joohyun is an escape from reality—more so, my own inner reality that no one else can witness, but me. There's a source of comfort that she exudes, and now I no longer doubt it—she may just be the catalyst to...to filling the emptiness inside.

"Until then, let's replace those old memories with brand new ones that can become much more meaningful," I resume, "You can help me remember the past, again. You can take me to familiar places that we used to run around in whilst engaging in mini adventures, you can introduce me to all those meals that I used to ravenously devour, you can sit with me on the sand under our feet—a Starlight Mystery in-hand—and along the way, it'll all be reconnected."

It's—now—that I feel her thin arms wrap around my midsection. As my mind renders in the proximity, my eyebrows furrow at this unfamiliar feeling, leaving me pondering. It drives through me like a freight-train, effortlessly doing its job of traveling to my heart and softening it up. I don't recall the last time I've ever been embraced by someone. Not like this, I mean. This was different—a good different. It befuddles me, and this warm yet comfortable sensation doesn't go away.

I'm both speechless and breathless, unknowing of what to do next.

Do I...return it?

Due to my nerves, my heart thumps louder than ever. I do believe she's able to hear it, as her cheek presses against my chest. Her hair flows and flutters in the present wind, tickling the skin underneath my chin.

I swallow my nervousness and let this moment consume me. I hesitantly place my arms around her, too. I tense up, if its anymore possible. My hands barely touch the small of her back as I return it, and I can feel her lips form into a smile.

"Bogum will join us," she mentions, and I nod my head in response.

That is, until I realize that she can't see my nodding head, so I reply verbally, "of course, he'll join us."

"Thank you," is all she says as she separates her body from mine. I let out the breath that I was holding in, almost sounding like a wheeze.

It wasn't just because she hugged me.

It was solely the thought of someone hugging me at all.

"No need," I rub at my nape awkwardly.

These soft moments don't occur too often in my lifetime, so it's quite weird to experience it. Knowing me, this would be a little too comforting, and it would start causing me to cringe. Though, it's not the case this time around. I just feel like I'm spending a stress-free time with someone that genuinely wants to—

"Hey, Taehyung?" Joohyun speaks from afar, more like ten feet away or so by the water.

I hum questioningly, halfway sinking into my own mind and halfway awake to hear what she wants.

"Think fast," my best friend states, and before I could mutter a "huh?", a splash of seawater impacts my entire body.

In disbelief, I blink once, twice, and maybe a third time before it all settles in. Her maniacal cackles echo across the entire beach, and like other times before, I marvel over how successful it can be for scaring off any sign of life. My swim trunks are soaked, and the lower half of my shirt has darkened.

Oh, this girl did not just do that.

"Bae Joohyun," I scold, swiping a disgruntled hand down my face at the sound of her giggles. Here I was, having a deep-level conversation with her, and she just turns around to throw water at me. I chuckle in incredulity, and march towards her with a vengeance. "You just made a huge mistake that you'll soon regret."

She starts backpedaling away, her hands raised in surrender. "No, Taehyung, please. I'm sorry, okay?"

I simply shake my head, suppressing an entertained grin at her hopeless attempt at discontinuing this ongoing battle of attaining victory. Nope, not until she's in that water.

I smile deviously, and now that a chance has presented itself, I wind up a leg and kick the water that a passing wave has wonderfully offered me. That pretty sundress on her? Completely drenched. Her hair? It's like she just finished taking a shower. Yup, I suppose there was a little too much force in that kick.

Well, the damage is done.

Perhaps, a small percentage of me feels guilty for the poor girl.

You thought!

I double-over with an arm over my stomach and emit a train of highly amused chuckles. The angry scowl that has replaced her obnoxious giggles was the cause of it. Well-deserved, too.

" you," she sweeps a hand over her face, wiping off many droplets of water, and then winces rather believably. She'd make a good actress, it seems, but does she seriously think I'm an idiot? I scoff to myself, and figure that I'd play along with her antics.

"What's wrong?" I drone.

"The water is burning my eyes," she curses, and I almost fall into her trap.

Almost.

"Okay, let me see, then."

"Now, what would that do?" Snarky. "Can we just call a truce?"

"Perhaps," I shrug. Not. "Only if you stop fooling around and avoid starting an unnecessary war, again—"

Joohyun's hands press against my chest and attempts to shove me backwards. I smirk, expecting such a thing, and find that I was able to regain the balance that I barely lost in a matter of seconds. This time around, I clutch onto one of her wrists and pull her down into the water.

"And, she sinks!" I pump my fists into the air, victoriously announcing this to no one but a sunken Joohyun who's...taking a little too long to rise to the surface. "Uh, Joohyun?"

Next thing I know, I'm swallowing ocean water and coughing up what I can once I ascend to meet the open-air. In glee, Joohyun throws her head back as her damn laugh fills the air, again. I would worry about any possibility of a shark nibbling on our asses, but I think the sound just lessened that chance.

"You know, I'm starting to regret ever coming here," I bluntly state, almost going cross-eyed watching the water drip off my bangs and onto my nose. "I hope you realize that you are one evil, conniving, and troublesome young woman."

"And, you're just the same—an ."

"Weak comeback. I expect better from you."

Then, I see it: I start chuckling at what's draped over her head like a Christmas decoration. She raises an eyebrow, beginning to slightly panic. I float closer to her, and grab a long strip of seaweed off her hair, flinging it at her face.

She screeches in fright, lets out a fed-up groan, and I could almost see the angered fumes billowing out of her ears.

"I can't stand you, Kim Taehyung."

"Likewise."

"Likewise," she has the audacity to imitate my voice.

"To be fair, you started it," I blame, pointing an accusatory finger, then snicker at the thought of that plant sprawled over her head, "I have to admit, it was a great look on you, though. The marine-themed arrangement was spot-on. You should try it more often."

"What are you—"

I playfully splash some water at her face.

"Was that really necessary?" She scolds.

"As a matter of fact, it was," and, as expected, Joohyun flicks water back. I pretend not to care and huff out a deep breath. "Enough of this cliché , Joohyun. Let's get out of this freezing water."

Joohyun giggles all the way back to the shore, and it was beginning to scare me. I groan in annoyance at how drenched my clothes were. This is the effect of acting childish, and then, I ponder: what am I becoming, exactly?

My heavy shirt is glued to my skin like a giant suction-cup, so I take it off and rinse out all the water as best as I could, wringing the piece of cloth in various ways.

"I regret ever splashing you in the first place," I hear Joohyun mumble.

I turn around on my heel to face her, and due to my findings, my eyebrows raise—pleased with the sight, nonetheless. It seems she had the same idea as me. Her soaked dress was no longer draped over her body, as she was now focused on getting rid of all the water, too. Nothing but a general, two-piece bikini covers her half- yet curvy physique. All I could do was stare with very inquisitive eyes, checking her out all the while. I roll my eyes and focus on distracting myself, because why am I going internally insane over a girl wearing a bikini?

Jesus, get a grip, Taehyung.

"You should regret it," I manage to distract myself with a reply, amusement clinging to my tone.

Through my peripheral, I sense her glaring at me momentarily, so I glance over to find that she was just checking me out, too!

I snicker, crossing my arms, and she tries to cover it up by looking off towards the ocean. I continue to laugh, not only because she was ogling, but because we did the same exact thing at separate times.

Ah, but she doesn't know that I was looking first.

She starts, "what?"

"Way to be obvious while staring at my chest, ert."

"Shut up, you —"

"Well, well, well," It was Bogum, entering the scene out of nowhere. I didn't even acknowledge that he was nearby. I look around and realize that the sky was darkening, and the sun was a sliver away from disappearing. Time flies by when you're having fun, it appears. "The hell? Are my eyes deceiving me? Joohyun, you swam? Now, how did you manage to get her in the ocean?"

"It was an unintentional swim," Joohyun replies, shivering from the slight chill in the air. I begin to feel the same. She wraps a towel around her small figure.

I playfully glare at her back, but she didn't notice.

Bogum trades a few, inquisitive glances between Joohyun and I, and judging by the look of hilarity on his face, he's enjoying this moment.

"So, did you throw her in or something?" Bogum asks me as I pull my shirt over my head. It's still wet, but it'll do. "No offense, but you two look miserable."

I ruffle my hair, smirking. "Believe it or not, she's the one that started it."

"I may have, but you're the one that escalated it."

"You tried shoving me in the water, Joohyun." I look over to Bogum for help, and he raises his hands in the air, not wanting to be apart of this.

"Yeah, but I was clearly joking around!"

Ah, the bantering continues. It's like an endless saga of foolish behavior that I must be equipped to endure when it comes to Bae Joohyun. Like I said before, the girl loves to argue unnecessarily, even when she's wrong. She just likes pushing buttons and all. That's something that's become clear when it comes to her behavior, but then again, isn't that what best friends do?

"Years have passed, and the bickering never ends," Bogum chuckles, shaking his head. My lips twitch. "You two are almost adults, and you still act like children."

"Hey," Joohyun and I chorus, clearly offended.

"Only kidding!" He lets out an awkward laugh, indicating that he was, in fact, not kidding.

"Whatever," Joohyun mumbles in response, "Bogum, did you talk to Sooyoung?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I did."

"And, how did it go?"

"Just fine," he shrugs his shoulders, but Joohyun stays unconvinced. "I swear, everything is alright. I told her my mistakes. She hasn't forgiven me, but I'm trying, okay?"

"Okay," Joohyun trails off. "Just don't give up on her."

I tuned in-and-out of that conversation. Jimin has explained it earlier to me, so I understood the overall gist of what was going on. Plus, I wasn't interested in knowing the details, and frankly, I didn't care too much.

"So, are we going to get ice cream or what?" Bogum hypes up the atmosphere. Joohyun and I glance at each other.

"We already had ice cream," Joohyun confesses.

"And, what about it? Let's get more!"

Joohyun and Bogum dives into another subject of conversation, laughing, chatting, and having a joyous time. For mere moments, I fade out into the background, almost sensing time slow down as my thoughts race. 

It was—now—as I peer over at the girl and the guy in front of me, I come to realize a very important thing: although time and space had us apart, our connection could never be broken. No matter how many of my memories perish and no matter how many years it's been, that instant spark of a connection is what makes us inseparable. It was as if during all these years—surpassing distance—there's been a thin string that's held us together, somehow. It's the unbreakable bond of friendship that makes this trio—us—click with ease.

It stuns me, that even through this entire day filled of festivities and enjoyment, my mind has never gone astray into the dark hole that holds all the negativities in my life. I used to avoid human contact and social atmospheres because I was so dug deep into my own sadness. My stubborn thoughts manifested this belief that things couldn't change.

Maybe, just maybe, as I surround myself with these people around me, I can shift into what I hope to be—for Aunt Kim, for my mother, for my father.

It's possible that if I let that hopefulness linger for a while, that shed of light will never fade.

The looming darkness is dwindling.


Fun Fact: The titles at the top of each chapter are the name of the songs that are not only mentioned within it, but have also guided me through it with the essence and meaning. Of course, there are many songs that inspire me through each one, but today's was Take My Hand by Jannabi.

Double Fun Fact: when I write, I usually listen to game soundtracks, as well as anything piano-based. The music must coincide with the mood of the scene that I'm currently writing. It helps the creativity to flow much better.

Lengthy A/N: Phew, that was a long one. 14k words for one chapter? Don't know how I did that in five days but I'm trying to focus on more subtle time-skips, as well as getting everything moving. I'm also trying to shorten up these chapters for quicker updates. As it's finally reached the 10th chapter, next one will encompass multiple? point of views, as well as a one-week jump into tae meeting bogum's grandparents at the shop. This will be interesting.

Honestly, my creativity and planning for this chapter had gone a little array at times, but you know how it is, it never goes specifically to plan, anyways. Like, the scene with Rosé and Taehyung meeting wasn't supposed to happen this chapter, but it was kind of perfect? The little ice cream segment with Joohyun and Taehyung came to mind as I was writing, too.

This chapter shows Taehyung's character is already shifting a little bit, unbeknownst to him, as he's beginning to realize and understand what friendly company can do to alleviate the sadness and deterioration that he feels when he's alone. This will continue onward as his bond with Joohyun and Bogum—even Jimin—strengthens, as well as with the others.

Just a little explanation to those that read my dumb Author's Notes. Most of all, thank you to those that have read, voted, and even commented! I love feedback in every form. I hope you continue to enjoy the story and expect a chapter within the next week.