welcome home

The Rise of the Mages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Elven Ruins]

Tao stood before them pointedly in a room that was close to the throne room. Lucas was still confused. Wooseung was ecstatic. Tao felt as if he was given a group of people that were wild cards and he didn’t know if he could work with it. To be honest, he knew it would be easier if he went on his own—But with Wooseungs temperament, he knew that wasn’t happening.

“One question, why is he not affected by the ring?” Wooseung asked Lucas as if he wasn’t there. Lucas blinked at the two men, flexing his muscles as he grunted. “You’re… I don’t know, the time mage? I’m Dark Magic—”

“, , ,” a voice was saying as male ran towards them. Jaehyun ducked behind them, an expression of a run-away fugitive painted on his face. He grabbed Lucas and hid behind him. “Cover me. Johnny has been sticking to me all day, I couldn’t—”

“JAEHYUN! JAEHYUN, WHERE ARE YOU?” Johnny’s bellowing could be heard from the hallway. Wooseung rolled his eyes. Keepers and their masters.

“Jesus, if only people loved me enough to stick with me,” he mumbled.

“Haechan,” Tao reminded him and Wooseung paused, realizing that it was true. “Johnny’s gone. You here because of what I think you’re here for, yes?”

“If you mean the fact that Wooseung smacked me and demanded that I tell him that I know it’s Oh Shin and not Oh Shun, then yes,” Jaehyun replied, still behind Lucas. “I told Rumpelstiltskin to join us. I presume he’s not affected by it as well. He’s a dark magic leprechaun. Speaking of which, where are your leprechaun pets? The one with colors as names. Avocado Green and whatnot?”

“In the sky,” Tao replied. He had told them to go back to do whatever they had to do. Oh Shin would definitely try to reuse them once more and Tao cared deeply for the leprechauns. “He’s here.”

Rumpelstiltskin emerged from the shadows and his small body hopped over to them. Everyone could see that he extra careful, the male looking around before telling him that he was playing hide-and-seek with Haechan. Wooseung began to feel annoyed. How could he be playing at a time like this? He opened his mouth when Tao cut in.

“We need to find out how to make the Scorpio ring null. Back to Wooseung’s original question: Why are you not affected?” he asked Lucas who was still standing there with a confused look on his face. “Are you an Elf? Dark Magic?”

“Uh… No. I’m immune,” Lucas replied. “Johnny is impenetrable but I’m immune.”

“I mean, I know you’re immune. I’ve seen you eat wild poisonous berries and grab the venomous snake from Harin’s shack before but—Is that even a power?” Wooseung asked and Lucas nodded.

“I’m immune to almost everything,” he said back. “Illusions and charms don’t work on me. SM didn’t think that was a power so they didn’t take me in. I was the only person Senior Donghae failed to extract memories from. His powers don’t work on me.”

They were all quiet. It seemed… plausible.

“Okay, fine. Whatever,” Wooseung shrugged. “Any ideas on how to make the Scorpio ring magic go away?”

“I have been researching,” Tao replied, and Wooseung saw his eyes flicker momentarily to Rumpelstiltskin. It was like both of them knew something, but he couldn’t pinpoint it. Tao lunged over a book and opened it, dust filling the air. “It’s a crystal.”

“What does it do?” Jaehyun asked, squinting at the words. “And what kind of language is this? It’s not Exodian.”

Wooseung stared at the book and saw that it was in a language that he couldn’t recognize, but Tao seemed to read it without any problem. He scanned the pages with his eyes before speaking.

“It’s a crystal that the first generation of elves made. As you know, the rings were in the possession of elves before they disappeared. This crystal was made by them in case the rings fell into the wrong hands,” Tao said, his finger gliding over the paper. “It is said that the many elves have died over the making of the crystal.”

“Uncle, wouldn’t you know something about it?” Wooseung asked Rumpelstiltskin who had seated himself on a chair. “You were made by the elves.”

“I was made by the second to the third generation of elves. After they made the leprechauns, but I have heard of it,” Rumpel told Wooseung, a hand patting Wooseung’s shoulder. “It is a myth and as much as I don’t want you all to be chasing myths, there is more possibility of it being true. The Elves were smart. The crystal would have been made as a backup plan for if humans ever got hold of the rings.”

“The thing is, the crystal itself doesn’t only null out deity magic,” Tao said. “It nulls out all magic. All mages will be without powers.”

“What do we do when we find the crystal?” Jaehyun asked. “Do we have to give it to the Royal Headmaster?”

“No, we put it in the highest point,” Tao answered. “I don’t know where that is—”

“The giants,” Lucas butted in, innocently. “I heard of the crystal. With the giants, there is a mountain. I have never been there but it is said that it contains a lot of magic because it is charged from the energy from the other worlds. But normal mages can’t stand on top, not with the amount of magic coursing through there. They’ll get burned.”

“Then how? If you’re immune to magic—"

“I’m immune to a lot of magic but not that much magic, fat boy,” Lucas replied. “The magic burns you, it’s the highest point on Exodus.”

“Well, that’s another problem after another,” Tao mused.

“The crystal can be up on the point only by an Elf,” Lucas told them. “Not one elf, actually. A lot of elves. We don’t have any elves.”

“Putting it up isn’t a problem,” Rumpelstiltskin said to him. “The problem is standing there.”

“Why wouldn’t it be a problem—” Wooseung’s voice was cut off by Tao who butted in.

“Do you have any idea where we can find the crystal?” he asked Rumpelstilskin. The leprechaun nodded, laying his head in his hands.

“The Union of Serpents,” he told them. “Their species protected the Elves for generations. They would have it if it exists. It’s close by since we’re in the Elven ruins. You should go and talk to the Serpent Queen.”

“Queen Medusa?” Tao asked, nodding. “We can do that. We’ll take it one problem at a time.”

They sat there, staring at each other for a while when Rumpelstiltskin spoke.

“You should all go on foot. I refuse to bring Haechan. He’s a child and he deserves his rest.”

Tao nodded. He knew that Rumpelstiltskin wanted to spend his time with Haechan, his lips curling up into a smile. If they were to take the rainbow, they would have to bring Haechan and he knew Uncle Rumpel would want Haechan to rest. Haechan was an inquisitive child and he won’t stop with the questions.

Tao closed his eyes when a thought ran through his mind.

If only the Zodiacs would help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Renjun, Dreamweaver; with an expensive pen. Poor Jeno.]

Sehun stood by the chair, scholars surrounding him. It was hurdle after hurdle and the wind mage felt defeated. Namjoon stood beside him, trying to give him the support he needed. Sehun was thankful towards the Dreamweaver, but even Namjoon’s dreams were jumbled these days. Sehun his lips, Namjoon thumbing through the books they found in the Elven ruins as scholars would come up to them to give them bits and pieces of information that were irrelevant when Lay came running over.

It wasn’t in panic, but more of excitement.

“She’s awake,” Lay said to Sehun and he jolted up, hearing that his sister had finally woke up. Namjoon’s eyes widened and Sehun nodded, running over to where Sana was. Lay was on the clock constantly, over and over again. Sehun saw her look around, shocked and when Sehun stepped in front of her—she spoke softly.

“Brother,” Sana said and Sehun nodded, a hand going to hold hers. Sana opened as if she wanted to say something, but she struggled. She looked frustrated and Sehun gripped her hand, Sana closing her eyes.

“She hasn’t spoken at all. In her life,” Lay told Sehun. “So, it’s probably hard for her to communicate. It’ll take time. I’ll tell Heechul to prepare a language spell.”

Sehun nodded and Sana looked up at him, opened again before she gave up and slumped back. Sehun let out a breath. How frustrated she must feel. He reached up to pat the head of his twin and her lips curled up into a smile.

“It’s okay. Take your time,” Sehun told her gently and she tilted her head at him pointedly, not understanding what he was saying. “I’ll be here.”

Lay smiled at the scene before him. The way Sehun was handling everything was refreshing. Lay had always seen Sehun as the youngest in EXO because he was, but to see him like this was different and it hit differently. Sehun turned to him to tell him to take care of his sister, Lay nodded and ushered for her to get some more rest.

“Renjun—Come back here!” The door from the front of the throne room suddenly burst open and Sehun jumped just to see two Dreamweaver’s in front of him. Renjun was holding a big piece of parchment and rapidly walking to him, followed by Jeno who was still wearing a suit.

“Renjun…. Slow down,” Jeno was telling him but Renjun didn’t listen. Sehun lifted an eyebrow, wondering how they came and Jeno gave an exasperated sigh before loosening his tie. “Senior Sehun.”

“Jeno,” Sehun greeted, motioning him over to the table in the middle of the throne room. “To what do I owe this visit to? Our appointment to visit Harin is not until tomorrow. And how did you come? Rumpelstiltskin was just around here.”

“Oh, he came and picked us up. Renjun went into his dreams,” Jeno replied, Rumpelstilskin and Haechan coming up from behind. “I just came from work and Renjun here threw a tantrum once I got home because he wanted to show you something. I told him that it could wait but—”

“I told him I’ll tell Nana that he was drinking again,” Renjun said cheekily, blinking at Sehun. “Uncle Sehun, you didn’t grow a mustache,” Renjun observed and Sehun raised an eyebrow.

“Why would I grow a mustache?”

“No idea. Jisung has been dreaming of a mustached man so I guess I was just guessing,” Renjun told him, putting the heavy parchment on the table and rolling it wide open. Sehun stood up and humored the younger Dreamweaver, knowing he had to listen to whatever Renjun had to say in order to satisfy him. “I dreamt of this. Here.”

He was proud of it, alright. Jeno let out a sigh, a hand going up to rub his head.

“Renjun broke his bed when I told him that we should wait until tomorrow when you come over to us. I don’t know how important it is but I haven’t dreamt of it so—”

“It’s important, Jeno!” Renjun answered, glaring at Jeno who immediately shut up. “Look at it!”

Rumpelstiltskin was quiet and for a moment it seemed like Sehun saw a flicker of recognition in his eyes, Rumpelstiltskin excusing himself suddenly. Renjun had drawn multiple suns and moons, his artistic side showing but Sehun had no idea what it was.

“What is it?”

“Exactly.” Jeno pointed out and Renjun growled at Jeno, turning to Sehun.

“It’s a solar eclipse!” Renjun said, eagerly looking at Sehun with his eyes shining. “It’s going to happen very soon. Maybe in two days. It’s when the suns and moons align in all the worlds and all magic will drop down.”

“Uh…” Sehun mumbled. “Thank you for the information, Renjun. The picture is very pretty.” Sehun had no idea why it was relevant. If more than anything, he needed a way to make more magic for a portal, not stop it.

“You’re welcome. I’m giving you the picture,” Renjun told him, patting the parchment proudly before looking around. “I think you should frame it. Put it up there, above the throne.” He pointed at the spot and Sehun found himself nodding, not wanting to disappoint the younger male.

“I will do that,” Sehun replied.

Renjun hopped off the place he was standing before looking at Jeno. “Well, what are you waiting for? Let’s go home. Nana would be awake by now,” he told Jeno, his smile more evil than good. Jeno let out a huff, turning to Sehun.

“If Nana ever asks, I came here and drank with you because you’re a client,” he told Sehun and Sehun nodded, telling him he got his back. “Thank you so much, Senior. I’ll see you tomorrow when you come for the appointment.”

In another room of the Elven ruins, Rumpelstilskin was talking to Tao and Wooseung who had just heard the news.

“We need to leave and find the crystal soon then,” Tao said, turning to Wooseung. “The eclipse. It’s a sign. If magic drops down for a moment, then we’ll be able to go up to the highest point without a problem.”

“How many minutes do you think we have?” Wooseung asked. “Half an hour? Ten minutes?”

“Renjun didn’t say but it’s probably ten minutes or so. Maybe fifteen,” Rumpelstiltskin said to them. “Eclipses don’t last long. It’s a fleeting moment.”

“Gather everyone,” Tao told Wooseung who nodded, standing up. Rumpelstiltskin wished them good luck and as much as Tao knew it would be easier with him around, he also knew that time was of the essence for the dark leprechaun.

“Thank you,” Tao whispered; his eyes closed. In his mind, he thanked the Zodiacs over and over again.

They were on his side, after all.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Ong Mansion]

Jennie had pumped me up. I was in the living room with Baekhyun, the music blaring out in the background as I bounced up and down. We were going to exercise all the soju out. It was time to change our lives and stop crying, and maybe pay our way to find another portal on Earth. I was on one of my father’s journals. In the end, he was an archeologist. He would have studied a bit about portals, no?

Baekhyun was brushing his teeth violently as he moved his shoulders side to side. We had been streaming GOT7’s music for the past hour so their Youtube view count would increase and honestly, I was sick of it. Baekhyun wasn’t though—it was new to his ears since music in Exodus was so much more different.

“Baek—BAEK!” I yelled his name and he looked at me, with the toothbrush in his mouth. One thing about both of us these days was the fact that we were weak. It was the amount of sleep we were getting and the pills we were popping. I struggled to push the couch away.

“Yeah?” he asked as I struggled. “Why do you want to move the couch?”

“I want to Zumba. Come, you’re doing it with me,” I told him as my frail arms tried to push the couch away to make space.

“You can just wait for Mark and Jackson,” he told me, spitting the toothpaste out and gargling his mouth. He had dropped a few pounds because we were both eating only one meal a day. When I glared at him, toddled to the side. He tried to push it away, shoving it with all his might when he gave up.

“How are we so weak?” he complained and I crossed my arms at him.

“It’s because we’ve been drinking almost every night. Get off the couch and help me. When Jackson and Mark come back, I get to show them that we did something productive. They almost sent me to rehab,” I told Baekhyun. Mark and Jackson were around me on the clock and it was honestly scary on my part.

Some nights they would stay over. Some nights, they would be calling every two hours. They cleaned the house, stocked up the fridge, threw my very expensive sleeping pills down the drain, and confiscated my phone. They refused to let me out of the house because they were scared of us ordering more medication and to be honest even if we weren’t in rehab, it felt like it.

Baekhyun made a face, standing up. Mark and Jackson weren’t here yet and they had a meeting since morning so today Baekhyun and I decided to surprise them with a changed lifestyle. Instead of pushing the couch away, I saw Baekhyun glow in front of me, and before I knew it; he shot into my chest and had used his second skill on me.

I felt a burst of energy and laughed, hearing Baekhyun laugh from inside me too. I pushed the couch away easily this time and Baekhyun was urging me to move more. He chuckled from inside of me and I began to leap up and down; realizing that Baekhyun’s powers made me feel so much lighter than I usually was. Amidst all that playing, I didn’t realize that there were two people staring at me and Baekhyun while we played; the groceries falling onto the floor from shock.

I turned around and suddenly Baekhyun left my body to appear beside me, his eyes wide as mine. I saw Mark and Jackson stare at us, blinking rapidly as they tried to make sense of the situation in front of them.

“Did you just---” Mark began, his lips.

“Did you just go into her?” Jackson’s voice rose and I blinked, Baekhyun frozen on the spot.

“Oh no,” Mark mumbled as he staggered, Jackson bringing a hand and raising it to his head.

And before we knew it, both of them had fainted on my living room floor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat with Baekhyun in front of Mark and Jackson who were staring at us like we were aliens. Jackson was pacing around the room, still trying to process the information. Baekhyun was chewing on a piece of gum and he coughed slowly.

“So, you’re saying; that all this time… You were at another world?” Jackson asked and we both nodded. “And that you have powers… And the whole thing of you and your brother going to allocate your assets was fake?”

“Yes,” I mumbled.

“And Oh Sehun did not break your heart, but you broke a portal and can’t go back to Exodus—”

“Exodus,” Baekhyun whispered.

“—anymore,” Jackson said, putting his arms on his hips. “And now you have two brothers because a god put a dark soul into your brother’s body and now, they are indifferent bodies?”

“Don’t even go there, I have a headache,” Mark told Jackson. Mark was sitting on a chair in front of us, his hands clasped together. “You’re saying that when you said that he’s in another world, he’s literally in another world?”

“Yes,” I whispered.

“Chanyeol, too?” Mark asked Baekhyun who nodded and slumped back on the couch. “Ah, . I knew that your family was weird but I thought it was some mafia and not “I am the girl version of Harry Potter”.”

“Do you have wands?” Jackson demanded and I shook my head.

“We have powers, we’re mages not wizards,” I told him softly and Jackson let out a huff.

“Now it makes sense why you were crying so much. I knew you weren’t the type to cry over a guy.” Jackson said, stopping in front of us.

“There was one time when you came and visited me and a guy flew down the window,” I told him. “That was Kris. He is our Senior. Try to remember,” I told Jackson whose eyes widened.

“I thought it was a dream!” he exclaimed. “Okay, okay, okay. Hold up. What are you going to do now, then?”

I blinked, not understanding what he meant. What did he mean, what are we going to do now? We were stuck. Jackson stared at me before smacking my shoulder.

“What are you going to do now? How do we make one of those portal thingy’s and go back to your Eggdodus—”

“Exodus,” Baekhyun corrected him again. “We can’t. There is only one portal to Earth from Exodus and we broke it.”

We sat there in silence and I had already given up a long time ago. Baekhyun and I couldn’t cry anymore, both of us knowing that it was a hard pill to swallow but we swallowed it anyway. But Jackson didn’t seem to understand and refused to let us sit there, doing nothing.

“Look,” Jackson began, Mark looking up at his friend. “Listen to me. I believe that with science and magic, anything is possible. And even if it isn’t, I really want to read about all this. I told you her family was weird!” Jackson yelled at Mark who rolled his eyes. “All my conspiracy theories all pointed to blood money and a gang ring—Which is not very far off.”

“It’s very far off,” Mark replied.

“But whoop! I can’t believe it! Our friend is Hermione Granger!”

“I keep telling you, we’re not the same,” I answered, Jackson

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter