the return of kyungsoo

The Rise of the Mages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

“You were right,” Sehun said and my heart skipped a beat as he stood in front of me. Xiumin took a step forward, both of us standing very still as if we were both scared that Sehun would suddenly brandish out a sword and kill both of us but Sehun just threw both of his hands in the air in frustration. “I said you were right!”

“Right…. About what?” My voice was weak and Sehun sighed. “Oh Sehun… You do know what you’re talking about right?”

What if he was sent by his father? What if he finally told his father I have been stupidly telling him that Oh Shin tried to kill me? Xiumin was on guard too, stepping forward when Sehun spoke.

“You’re right about my father, Ong Harin. He’s not the person I thought he was,” Sehun said and Xiumin relaxed a bit, still silent when Sehun took a step closer to the couch. “Can you all stop looking at me like I’m going to kill you?”

“Okay, but first—How did you find me?” I asked Sehun when he jerked his head towards me. My hands automatically reached up to the necklace that was warm against my touch and when I looked down, I saw that it was shining. “O-Oh.”

“Stupid girl,” Sehun said softly, and his eyes softened. Xiumin cleared his throat and suddenly Sehun’s eyes landed on the brownie that was standing behind one of the chairs. He frowned, tilting his head at the creature. “Uh…”

His eyes skated over the house and I almost could tell he was wondering why Eunwoo had a brownie. Brownies were expensive and usually for noble families. Namjoon just stared at him when Sehun blinked at him.

“Isn’t your brownie supposed to give me a glass of water?” he asked and Namjoon didn’t budge.

“No, he’s not supposed to,” I answered when Sehun looked confused.

“Why? Is your brownie broken?”

“I’m not broken!” Namjoon yelled out. “I AM NAMJOON!”

“Definitely broken,” Sehun replied before the name registered in his mind. He whipped his head towards Namjoon, his eyes widened. “Namjoon? The Royal Messenger?”

There was a beat of awkwardness and Namjoon grabbed the potion, drinking it. I almost laughed, seeing Sehun’s face change from scared to shocked to sudden confusion all in three seconds. Namjoon grabbed the pants nearby and put them on, ruffling his hair before bowing down to Sehun.

“Young Royal Master Sehun,” he said, Sehun standing up and accepting his bow with a slight bow back.

“Royal Messenger—How—But you were beheaded!” He gasped and Namjoon nodded, sitting down.

“Before we begin to tell you everything… again,” Xiumin told Sehun. “Tell me what happened. Why are you here and how’d you snap out of it?”

Sehun’s face changed a bit and he sighed before speaking.

“My father just came back from Euren. He said he had business to do there since people in Euren are now without a leader. I thought he would finally let The League lead Euren. We had a war with Euren and now I expected our ties with Euren to be cut so Exodus can be in peace but—”

“But what?”

“But he decided to put the Eurenic League in the Order of Royals.”

“What?” Xiumin gasped.

So, it was starting. He wanted to wage war with Euren to take over Euren and it was obvious that he had a deal with The League. I let out a sigh, Sehun crossing his arms and leaning back.

“I mean, at first, he made sense. I don’t know how, but he did. Until suddenly he began talking about marriage since he wanted me to rule both Euren and Exodus beside him,” Sehun began and I could see that he had a heavy heart. “So naturally, I opposed his decision.”

“To marry?” I asked and Sehun nodded. My insides squirmed at the thought of Sehun getting married but I kept it in. He didn’t have to know. He probably didn’t feel the same way.

“Yes. I told him that I would not marry yet. He told me before he left for Euren to officially court Lady Krystal.” Sehun chewed on his bottom lip. “And courting is fine but to marry her so suddenly after he came back from Euren? I just—I just couldn’t.”

My heart. My heart suddenly beat a bit slowly at the thought that Sehun would not marry just yet.

“And then suddenly he asked me if I was opposing him and I said yes. The moment I said yes, it all came crashing down. The League in the Order of Royals! He’s putting Eurenic people in the Order!” Sehun exclaimed, running a hand through his hair, frustrated. “And you know what’s worse?”

“What could be worse than the Order being filled with people from Euren?” Namjoon asked, frowning.

“When I told him that I would not be in the Order if The League is in the order, he yelled at me. You know what he said?” Sehun did not wait for us to reply. “He said ‘I did not start a war with Euren for you to ruin my plans!’”

There it was. Sehun saying no to Oh Shin had hit a nerve and he had said it all on his own to his own son.

“What did you do?” Xiumin whispered. We were all hoping Sehun kept a low profile. It would have been better if Sehun did not say anything and showed that he was uncharmed.

“I left,” Sehun said simply. “It all came crashing down and I just turned and left.”

My heart broke for him, Sehun looking so confused and sad. His face was down and Xiumin sighed when the door opened and Eunwoo walked in from the other bedroom. Sehun saw him and for a moment, he looked at Eunwoo then at me when Eunwoo spoke first.

“Uh… Sorry, I was with my paired partner. What did I miss?” he said it casually and Sehun’s face brightened when he heard “paired partner”. Xiumin gave him a run down and Eunwoo shook his head at the news, saying that it was starting.

After Sehun spoke, Xiumin then began to tell Sehun everything from the top. Namjoon and Eunwoo piped in once in a while, telling him the details while I sat quietly. Sehun listened carefully, and like everyone before him—his face was unreadable. The only time his face changed was when I told him about Donghae’s death and the fact that his father kept the soul of his sister in the Soul flower on the table.

When we were done, Sehun nodded and he seemed to have adapted to the idea that his father wasn’t as he thought very quickly. Namjoon told him that he would have to start bringing people to his side, Sehun pausing.

“I can’t believe I have a sister. I can’t believe he started a war with Euren.” Sehun said, frowning. “But what are we fighting for if we are recruiting people? I hardly think my father will throw people into famine even if he leads both Exodus and Euren. We don’t know his plans just yet and for all I know, the Eurenic League supports him in ruling Euren as well. Sometimes colonization—”

“He’s might target Earth, too,” I blurted out and Namjoon looked at me in surprise.

Sehun was right in his own way. Sometimes taking over Euren was good for the Eurenic, despite the fact that Oh Shin was the one who orchestrated the war. 

When I spoke, Xiumin and Eunwoo also looked surprised and Namjoon had no choice but to tell them. I had made the choice that they deserved to know since the beginning. A part of me trusted my friends enough to know that they would never condone violence.

But the problem was that Earth had two portals, one in the middle of Seoul and another in my backyard—both leading to the portal in the Forest of Isea. That’s why Suho, Lay, and Kris came down to Seoul in the first place because they didn’t know which one was which when they were supposed to come down to my backyard.

That would mean Seoul would be hit first.

I had so many questions about portals but I didn’t want to ask them just yet, knowing everyone was tired with all the new information. I saw Eunwoo sense the atmosphere, and he told us to stay over for the night.

“I have to go back and tell Luhan, Tao, J-hope, and the others,” Xiumin told me. “Kai and Chen are coming tomorrow and they expect us to go to Neverland together because I told them we’d be going on a trip. How about both of you go back to the Royal Castle tomorrow to meet us?”

“Harin has to be careful, though. The Royal Headmaster is back from Euren so her safety may be compromised,” Eunwoo said and I saw Sehun nod.

“We’ll all be around her, so I’m sure he won’t try anything with at least 12 of us with her including Jaehyun and Johnny who’ll be around,” Xiumin told him, standing up. “I’m off…”

“You can stay here for the night, Young Royal Master Sehun,” Eunwoo said suddenly. “I know how hard it is to face your father now that you know. You should clear your mind and focus on tomorrow.”

This is why I loved Eunwoo. He was so… concise. He knew what to focus on, what to do, and whatever he said would always give us clarity.

“And Royal Messenger—You’re free to stay with us. My partner is lonely and she will be sad that Harin’s going to head back and be busy tomorrow. She actually was looking forward to having people in the house.”

“Of course. Though I do have to go back to Jimin soon. I’m sure Mr. Key already told Jimin but he probably is freaking out. I’ll stay for the night and we can plan tomorrow what to do. I also need more shapeshifting potion.”

“We’ll think about it tomorrow,” Eunwoo said, motioning to one of the bedrooms. “We only have two bedrooms though—”

“I can sleep on the couch,” Namjoon said shrugging. “I’m used to it.”

“I’ll get you blankets and pillows,” Eunwoo replied and I tried to suppress a yawn. “Go shower and get some rest, Harin. It’ll be a tough day for you tomorrow. You too, Young Royal Master.”

“Thank you for your hospitality, Eunwoo.” Sehun thanked him politely and I walked to the second bedroom, seeing that my things were already there. There was a shuffle when I heard Eunwoo open the door and Tzuyu popped her head out looking sad.

“Harin, you’re leaving tomorrow already?” she asked and I nodded, the girl walking to me and giving me a hug. “You sure you can’t stay?”

“She has work to do, my love.” Eunwoo’s voice floated from the living room and Tzuyu nodded. “She’ll visit anytime she can.”

Tzuyu told me to wake her up if we were leaving early in the morning and I promised, Bubbles bounding from behind her and shuffling into my bedroom along with Sehun. I heard Eunwoo ask us if we were hungry and before we knew it, he had cooked us a meal before we all departed into our bedrooms for the next day to come.

I had freshened up and silently climbed into bed, Sehun doing the same thing. None of us said a word and as much as I was still hurt over the previous fight we had; I knew it was because he was still charmed. Bubbles had struggled to go on the bed, and I saw Sehun grab her and tug her as she settled at the edge of the bed. The lights were off and I could hear him breathing.

As much as I knew I had feelings for him after everything was over, I knew I would have to go back to Earth. I had friends there, a house and I was not Exodian. I could not let myself get carried away.

Exhaustion spread throughout my body as I allowed myself to relax before I fell asleep.                 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I felt the bed move and I let out a deep breath, opening my eyes slightly. The room was still dark and I turned to the side just to see that it was empty. Frowning, I sat up slowly to see Sehun standing by the window. The curtains were drawn and the moonlight hit his features as he stared out the window.

He looked like he was deep in thought and I wondered what was happening. I worried about him. It was a lot, finding out the person who you looked up to your whole life was a mass murderer and manipulated your own people into war.

I slid out of bed quietly, walking slowly to him, trying not to scare him when I reached his side. Sehun sensed my presence but didn’t say anything and I looked out the window to see one street lamp that shone dimly onto the road. I stood there beside him for the longest time and even if I wanted to hug him, to tell him that it was going to be okay-- I held myself back before he spoke softly.

"I’m sorry,” he told me.

“It’s okay,” I whispered back.

He turned to me, his eyes scanning my features before he lifted a hand and ever so softly pressed his hand against my cheek. I froze, looking up to him before Sehun dragged a finger over my cheek. His gaze changed, and for some reason, I forgot to breathe.

“Ong Harin,” he said my name so softly. “You make me feel things.”

A small smile formed on my lips and I placed a hand on his chest. I could feel the beat of his heart, it was calm, unlike my racing one.

“Oh Sehun,” I said his name. “You make me feel things too.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next morning came and we all stood in Eunwoo’s living room to say goodbye. Namjoon had decided to come with us, drinking his shapeshifting potion.

“Just say that you bought me in the black market or something. Uh...I have so little left. I can change only once after this and the potion is done.” He told Sehun who laughed at the notion, Namjoon turning into a brownie. He took the pants Eunwoo gave him and wrapped it around his neck as a scarf. “My brownie brain is slow compared to my human one.”

I had brought back all my things again, after an argument with Sehun in the morning.

“I’m not staying in the castle anymore!” I had told him, Sehun shaking his head and grabbing my bag and putting it in the living room. “Oh Sehun!”

“You’re not staying here! I’m bringing you with me!” he said back, going to the bed and struggling to carry Bubbles who just looked up at him before placing her down on the floor.

“Your father is back, what if he tries something? I’m just going to go try to convince the others and come back here!” I told Sehun who wasn’t listening. “Are you listening to me?!”

“No,” he had replied and now here I was, with all my bags being loaded into the chariot along with Bubbles who had no idea what was going on but now following Sehun as if he was her owner as well.

“Your squonk likes me,” he told me and I rolled my eyes, the chariot leading us back to the Royal Castle. When we reached the gates; I saw Xiumin, Luhan, Tao, and a very confused Lay with them.

Greeting them, Lay asked where we were going when we entered the castle.

“Why do you have a brownie with you?” Luhan asked, the brownie blinking at him without bowing.

“It was a cheap brownie,” Sehun answered. “I thought I might need one to do my laundry.”

“Rich people,” Luhan grumbled.

It was quiet and we decided to gather everyone in the music room as we waited for the rest to come. While we waited, Tao closed his eyes like he usually does and before we knew it, we heard laughter.

Looking towards the door, we saw Kai, Chen, and Baekhyun dragging bags with them.

They really must think that it was time to go to Neverland.

“What time are we going?” Baekhyun asked excitedly and I chewed on my lip nervously. Kai and Chen looked hopeful to have a great time, Xiumin checking his pocket watch. “And who are we waiting for? Oh, brownie!”

“Suho and Kris,” he replied and everyone looked at each other. “Chanyeol---?”

“Chanyeol just portalled to Euren this morning. Something about handling business over there,” Baekhyun replied. “And why are we inviting them?” Baekhyun blurted at the mention of Suho and Kris. “I mean don’t get me wrong. But those two don’t seem like the people who you would want to bring to a vacation.”

“I’m sure Senior Kris won’t even want to come,” Kai told us, adjusting his hat. The group felt empty without Kyungsoo and I still didn’t know where we would go and how we were going to start. We couldn’t talk about it in the Royal Castle, that was for sure.

“Yoooo, man. Seniors, y’all are here!” Johnny’s voice erupted into the air and I saw him walk in with Jaehyun, the tall male jumping over to us. I could swear I could feel the ground shake a bit and Jaehyun walked up to me, an arm going around me to pull me into a hug.

He lingered and pulled away, smiling his eye smile before squeezing my hand.

“How’s everything?” he asked me, and I told him I’d explain it to him later. “Hey, Bubbles. Oh, a brownie.” He then shifted his attention back to me.

“Did you tell Johnny about it?” I asked Jaehyun, the male nodding.

“I did. He was easy to uncharm since he’s simple-minded. You should have seen his reactions though. It was hilarious,” he told me and Johnny scooted closer to me, whispering.

“So, it’s true then, Senior?” he asked and I nodded. “Aw, damn. That kind of . What are we going to do now?”

His question was cut off when two people entered the music room, Suho looking confused and Kris looking annoyed.

“Come on. What is this meeting you all are begging me to attend? I’m busy,” Kris said roughly and Baekhyun looked confused at the word “meeting”.

“Meeting? We’re going to Neverlan—”

“We’re going to see Kyungsoo first,” Sehun told all of us, his eyes directed to Kris and Suho who looked like they had better things to go. “and I don’t want any questions until we go there and have a proper talk.”

Sehun was all business and even Kris sighed at the younger males’ instructions. In the end, it was Sehun and he couldn’t say no to him since he worked for Oh Shin. I felt Namjoon, the brownie, shift closer to me but Kris and Suho didn’t seem to notice its presence.

“Where is Senior Kyungsoo?” Johnny asked and I realized that I haven’t seen Kyungsoo in a while. Then again, I remember Kai telling me that Kyungsoo had his own garden since the Oh family gifted him a plot of land near their vacation house for being Sehun’s keeper.

“His cottage,” Sehun replied. “Ong Harin, would you want to give Bubbles to the gardener first?”

I realized that Bubbles was probably tired from traveling, the squonk asleep by my leg and I nodded. Sehun left for a while and before I knew it, Do Kyungmin arrived with his cheery smile.

“Goodmorning, Papa Kyungmin,” Chen and Kai greeted him, Kyungsoo’s father cheerily greeting us before carrying Bubbles away who was still asleep.

Poor squonk. She had to go back and forth because of me.

We headed to the portal room, the lot of us being as loud as ever. Johnny was telling Baekhyun about his giant relatives that were given magical harps by Oh Shun that would put them to sleep. I chuckled, hearing Johnny talk about his cousin Lucas, who was now selling cows because he was hardly ever home and the giants had so many cows.

We went into the portal room, and I saw Sehun pick up an orb before throwing it into one of the portals, the image in the portal turning into a garden that I could already tell was beautiful. Sehun took the first step, all of us following—being whipped into a whirlwind as we traveled to Kyungsoo’s garden.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We all stepped out of the portal and I felt dizzy, steadying myself when I felt Jaehyun grab my hand. I stumbled, shaking my head before thanking him. When I looked around, I saw that the garden was beautiful—butterflies were everywhere and the trees and flowers were well kept. There were different types of flowers everywhere and it was colorful to the eyes.

And far away, I saw a cottage. It was small and cozy and reminded me of Heechul’s cottage in the Forest of Isea. When I turned to the left, I saw a big mansion far away and it seemed isolated but it was big enough to be noticed. To my right, I saw another mansion, this one bigger and looked more like a castle.

“The one on the left is Senior Siwon’s castle,” Kai said to me when he saw me look at the castle. “And the one on the right is the Oh family vacation house. Kyungsoo’s plot of land is sandwiched between both.”

“And Senior Siwon…”

“He’s just rich,” Chen told me and he was about to say something when I heard a very loud and panicked voice.

“Nooooo—” I looked in front of me to see Kyungsoo with a rake and a sombrero hat once again. “You all

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter