stop. rewind. turn back time.

The Rise of the Mages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The dark walls were all that Alchemist Jimin liked. He didn’t think he was depressed, he just realized that he enjoyed being on his own, listening to sad music while thinking of ways to brew a new potion. He hated his wings, and hated the pain and the publicity that came with it so he was always trying to find a way to get rid of it; the man trying to focus on what he was doing when a crash made him jolt up in surprise. He had lost his train of thought, and oh! He hated when that happened!

“Namjoon! Just because you have your body back does NOT mean you get to break my things!” he yelled out to the taller male that was clumsily trying to pile back the books onto the table. They had toppled onto the ground and Namjoon gave him an apologetic look—He had the touch of Aries, Jimin thought. How chaotic.

What was more chaotic were that his friends were there, Jin and J-hope sitting by the fireplace. The two peacemakers have arrived an hour prior and were now chortling over something he didn’t understand. Jungkook and V were already there when he came back home from the market, Namjoon by their side. He had always worried abut Namjoon, but he knew the competence of his friend.

Namjoon was smart and knew how to survive.

They explained what happened to Jimin, and he already got the jist of it. In the end, he was the one who housed Namjoon. Imagine the surprise he got when he came home from the war with an additional brownie in the house. He wouldn’t have guessed it was Namjoon if the brownie didn’t tell him, Jimin always nonchalant about his surroundings.

“When are they coming?” J-hope asked, his fingers intertwining. “I get so worried each time Luhan calls me for a meeting. I always feel like something is going to happen.”

Jin’s face was wiped of happiness and Jimin observed the guilt that washed over his friend’s face. He and J-hope had fought, at least that was what he heard. Now that Jin was uncharmed, he felt bad about it but he knew J-hope understood. He was about to say something when his brownie stalked into the room, giving Namjoon a gruntled look before speaking roughly.

“You have visitors.”

Jimin told him to let them in, the male motioning over to the door. J-hope sat up, his face automatically going serious when three steps of footsteps sounded. They were all in the basement, where Jimin’s lab was. It was isolated from the rest of the house, just the way he liked it.

“J-hope. Jin,” Lay’s voice greeted, and he removed the hood of his coat. He gave them an exhausted smile. He stood in front of his friends, Luhan and Xiumin; the two oldest of the remaining EXO group that were under the advisory of Lay, Kris, and Suho. Lay had graduated first, that is true, but Luhan and Xiumin were similar in age and Lay knew their reasons so there was never a hierarchy with the two.

“How was your travel?” Jin asked, standing up to give Luhan a one arm hug. “Shoot it to us, Lay. I’m honestly terrified of what you’re about to say.”

“Same.” J-hope mumbled.

Jungkook and V did not say anything, the vigilante and his right hand knew it was better to judge the situation once they listened to it.

“We were just at the Echowomp Post office,” Lay said, taking a seat in one of the chairs while Xiumin and Luhan stayed standing. “Xiumin went to pay them for their services. The Royal Headmaster had asked Shinee to assassinate Jung Jaehyun and Johnny Seo, his keeper, because of what they said about him when they went to uncharm you.”

“Rumors travel fast.” Namjoon quoted.

“Ong Harin had told them she’d pay them double before that so they decided to tell her—” His words were cut off by a scoff, Jungkook rolling his eyes back to the back of his head.

“Shinee.” He paused. “Always the business men.”

“You know them?” Xiumin asked, surprised. They have never heard of Shinee before this, and he wondered why Shinee was never caught by Jungkook.

“Of course,” Jungkook replied. “We were in the same orphanage. We tried to recruit Taemin but it seems that Key has a soft spot for him. They sent us a bloody beheaded cow when they found out I was trying to take their youngest away.”

“We both work for anyone, it’s just that we’re good and they’re bad.” V simplified. “Or more so, they do everything for money. We once tried to arrest them, it’s just that they are very good at destroying evidence. Every time they kill, it can never be traced back to them because Key is so skilled at it. But they have been sloppy after Key has been busy and Minho and Taemin have been doing the work instead.”

“Ah,” Xiumin replied. “Well, they really are expensive.” He said. He was the one who paid them, but them again the assets he had at that time was enough to last him a lifetime and generations after that so it didn’t bother him. Sehun had apologized profusely and promised to give back the money when he finally got married and got the fund that his father put up for him.

“They are. What did they say?” Jungkook asked.

“They told us what the Royal Headmaster said—They said that he asked them to assassinate Jaehyun and Johnny in Sehun’s engagement party,” Luhan began to speak. “They said that he spoke of it being a distraction for something he wanted to do.”

“Which means he’s planning something other than the assassination of Jung Jaehyun and his keeper.” V murmured. “Which means any of you guys can be in danger.”

“In all honesty, I’m just worried about Sehun and Harin. I told them that I had an inkling feeling but he assured me that EXO would be around him and Johnny is impenetrable so there would be nothing to worry about. Especially since there would be so many people in the party.”

“It’s best to be ready,” Namjoon inserted, frowning. “What are you suggesting?”

“Since we have a bad feeling, I was wondering if you could stand by at the party. We need people around us since the Royal Headmaster has his guards with him.” Xiumin told them. “I know Sehun believes his father would never hurt him, but I believe otherwise.”

“Of course.” Jungkook said almost immediately. “It would be good if we were undercover as well. V, you still have that waiter suit you used to wear when you worked for Shindong’s restaurant?”

“Washed, ironed, and pressed,” V replied.

“We’ll be around.” Jin promised. “We’ll bring a couple of our peacemakers that we can trust if it gives you ease.” He told Lay who gave him a thankful smile.

His friendship and Lay traveled way back since they trained together in the House of Peace, and he knew when his friend was worried. Xiumin told them that they all had to go back and that their absence would be noticed—The three EXO members giving them a polite bow before exiting Jimin’s basement.

They were silent for a while, Jungkook’s mind reeling for strategies they could implement when he heard J-hope speak.

“We should have a group name,” J-hope told them, crossing his legs.

“What are we, stars? We’re not Monsta-X,” Jin replied, rolling his eyes before leaning forward. “So, any ideas?”

Namjoon chuckled; his eyes going over quiet Jimin, quirky V, intelligent Jungkook, gentle Jin, and cheerful J-hope before he spoke.

“B. T. S.” He spoke it out loud, letter by letter. “BTS. Stands for Behind the Scene. We’ll have to protect Harin, behind the scene.”

“Behind the scene… I like it,” Jungkook replied. “BTS.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

It was the day of the engagement and I found myself weirdly nervous. What was there to be nervous about? Sehun was Sehun, my EXO friends knew it was fake—I let out a breath and tilted my head to the side as they brushed my hair, people fussing over me. They had made me wear a beige dress, and it sparkled as the sequins scatted across the lower part of the dress. I could hear my heart in my ears when the door opened and I turned to see someone I haven’t seen in a while.

“Chanyeol,” I murmured, my eyes lighting up as I smiled at the tall man. He passed me a smile and I noticed he was quieter—much more intense than he usually was. He was less friendly and more serious and I had no idea if I liked this side of him.

“Ong Harin,” he said, walking up to me to place a hand on my shoulders. He was still Chanyeol to me and I smiled warmly at him, a hand going up to grip his hand that was on my shoulder. “You look beautiful.”

“Thank you, Chanyeol. I miss you around, you know,” I admitted to him and he chuckled a low rumble. “How’s work going for you? Sit down and talk to me.”

“It’s alright. The Royal Headmaster is very good to me.” He told me, taking a seat beside me. He, indeed, was different and I could feel as if he wanted to say something but something was stopping him. “How about you? I heard from the rest you’re doing it because Sehun doesn’t want to be engaged to Lady Krystal.”

“Yes, that is true. And I’m going back to Earth anyway, after a while,” I told him, smiling. He nodded in understanding. I swept my eyes over his features, leaning forward to place a hand on his. “What’s wrong, Chanyeol?”

“Nothing.” He replied almost immediately and I narrowed my eyes at him, the tall male sighing. “It’s just… Me and Baekhyun. It’s different, I don’t know how to explain it.”

“What’s wrong?” I asked, frowning and Chanyeol shrugged. I think that the two being paired came up as a shock to the rest of EXO and I knew Chanyeol and Baekhyun were able to keep it secret because they were always like best friends before lovers.

“He’s… distant.” He sighed, sneaking a look at me. “I guess it’s because I work almost all the time. I’m hardly around and when I come back from Euren, I’m always exhausted. Also, The Royal Headmaster expects a lot from me so I’m always trying to prove myself.”

“Chanyeol, you’re good the way you are. The Royal Headmaster knows of your abilities, that’s why he chose you,” I began, squeezing his hand. “And while you work hard, don’t forget to stop and take a look around. Baekhyun probably just feels overlooked, that’s all.”

“I guess.” Chanyeol mumbled. My words seemed to not ease him at all. “Work comes first. I grew up thinking I was different from the rest because of my powers and now I’m being appreciated for something I used to hate to do. It’s refreshing, I’m thankful to The Royal Headmaster.”

I did nothing but nodded. I understood where he was coming from. Chanyeol hated his history, Exodians having a certain image of Eurenic people and because his bloodline was from there—He had faced a lot of bullying in his earlier days in SM.

“Well, I hope that even if this is fake, you enjoy yourself,” he told me and I chuckled, nodding. “Where’s Bubbles, by the way?”

“With Kyungsoo’s father in the garden,” I told him, and he chuckled. “She enjoys the trees.”

“I would too, if I was a squonk,” Chanyeol told me, standing up. “Well, I’m off… I need to put on my tux.”  

“Thank you for finding me, Chanyeol. It’s good to see you again.” I told him, waving. “We’ve missed you.”

Chanyeol’s response was a simple smile, the male winking at me before he turned and walked out the door. I blinked my eyes, suddenly feeling very emotional. Chanyeol’s visit was enough to make me feel like we were losing him even when he was just right there. One of the stylists grabbed my hair and yanked it to the side, trying to tease my strands when I heard a voice bark out to be gentle.

I knew that voice anywhere, and when I looked behind, I saw Baekhyun and a girl. He was already wearing a tux and I saw that he was pretty down, the male going towards me to compliment me with the same exact words his lover did a few moments before. The girl who was beside him gave me a smile and Baekhyun introduced her to me.

“This is Bora,” he told me, grabbing her and dragging her to me. Bora smiled, bowing to me. I gave her small bow of my head. “She’s my older sister.”

“The one who Kai was about to marry?” I asked suddenly and Bora blushed at my mention of her almost successful wedding. “Oh, sorry. That must have been so rude—”

“Oh, it’s alright,” she answered, reassuring me. “Everyone knows my story with Kim Kai.”

“Don’t worry, Bora. I will make sure he can never go near you,” Baekhyun told her, patting my shoulder.

“Why aren’t you wearing pink?” I asked him, recalling that pink was his favorite color.

“Because it’s your engagement party, not anyone’s enlightenment party,” he told me. “I heard the theme was monotonous, as all Royal Themed parties are.”

“Mhm, you look dashing, Baek,” I told him and he beamed. “You know, Chanyeol came a bit before you came.”

With the mention of Chanyeol, it was like a switch. Baekhyun’s eyes began to water and I reached out, worried at his sudden reaction. Bora was frowning and she laid a hand on his back. He cleared his throat and I could see that just by the sound of Chanyeol’s name made him an emotional mess.

“Baek…” My voice trailed.

“I’m fine,” Baekhyun responded. “I just… Harin, I’m giving up on him.”

My eyes widened. What was that supposed to mean? Why did it sound so serious?

“I’m letting him go,” He told me. “I was going to propose but I realize that what he wants and what I want are different. I want to settle down, Harin. I want to be able to be with the person I want and be beside him while he wants to work for god knows what—”

“Just because you both have different goals, doesn’t mean it won’t work, Baekhyun,” I said to him and he shook his head.

“He’s not Chanyeol anymore, Harin,” he told me sadly, before letting out a sharp exhale. “After your engagement party, I’m going back to the Byun Mansion. You guys can find me anytime you need my help. My parents are also getting divorced so they couldn’t come.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that,” I told him, realizing that he must have so much on his plate.

“It’s fine. They didn’t love each other anyway. They just don’t want to share their assets anymore, that’s why.” Baekhyun spoke of it as if he was used to it.

“My brother made sure I prepared an orb so we could go back to the Byun Mansion together right after the engagement party.” Bora said to me. “And you really do look beautiful, Harin. I wish you and Young Royal Master Sehun a healthy and happy engagement.”

When she wished me, I saw Baekhyun roll his eyes at me as if saying “Hah! If only she knew.”. I laughed and pushed him away, Baekhyun ducking my hand and bidding me goodbye. He took his sister’s hand and I realized that he seemed like a little kid with her, dragging her away.

It didn’t take long until I was ready and I smoothed the end of my dress down carefully and standing up. I heard the door slam and I turned just to see Sehun, standing there with a tuxedo. He didn’t say anything, simply looking at me before he smiled.

For the first time, Sehun smiled.  

“Ong Harin.” His voice was deep, his long legs bringing him towards me. “It’s almost time.”

“I’m nervous,” I told him suddenly, my voice shaking and he blinked at me. “Do something, I’m nervous!”

“Gaian, there is nothing to be nervous about. I’ll just put a ring on your finger and we’re engaged.” He told me and I crossed my arms.

“So much for trying to understand me, Oh Sehun,” I told him and his face changed, a hand going to grab mine. I jumped at his sudden action and he paused, as if trying to find something to say in his head.

“Ong Harin,” he said my name carefully. “I will be beside you and I won’t leave your side so there is nothing to be worried about.”

I pressed my lips together and his other hand came up to poke me on the cheek. “Ong Harin—”

“Fine, fine,” I told him, shaking my head. “That made me feel a lot better. You promise you won’t leave my side and won’t let anyone ask me weird questions such as “When are you going to have kids?” and stuff like that?”

“Well….” His voice trailed. “I can’t promise you that they won’t ask.”

“And what are we supposed to say when it happens?”

“We can always say we already have a child.” Sehun pointed out to me. “Kyungsoo.”

His comment made me laugh and I slapped his arm, forgetting that I would feel it too. He smiled pulling me alongside of him naturally, and I followed his lead. I could already hear people in the ballroom, and the sound of clinking glass and people talking to celebrate this “amazing” day.

“We have to go and greet the guests first and then the ceremony starts. Kyungsoo is already downstairs, tending to the Keepers that are here with their master noblemen.” He told me, turning to look at me as we stood on the flight above the stairs.

“We can do this,” I told him, nodding. “Ong Power.”

“I am not getting your last name.”

“Happy to be engaged with you, Ong Sehun.”

“Gaian—” His voice warned and I laughed, sticking my tongue out at him. “Idiot.”

“Takes one to know one,” I sang and before stepping down the stairs, Sehun following me. “Two idiots getting engaged.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The party was lively, as to say and I saw EXO standing around with people I didn’t know. We were greeted by unfamiliar faces and I smiled and thanked them for their compliments—as fake as it seemed to be. Sehun stayed beside me and I saw Kyungsoo bowing to a bunch of people. After a few more people, I heard someone call Sehun. Turning, I saw that it was an older male. His eyes were kind and he looked very familiar, his features reminding me of-

“Master Changho,” Sehun greeted, bowing and even if I didn’t know who it was, I followed him.

“Sehun. Seems like yesterday you were still a child, coming over to my island to play with Suho,” Master Changho said and my eyes widened, realizing that it was Suho’s father. I smiled at him and wondered why Suho hated his father. The older man had a twinkle in his eye and he spoke to me, his eyes not leaving my face.

“Ong Harin…” He paused, studying me. “So, you’re the daughter of Ong Seonho.”

My eyes widened when I heard the name of my father… Or the father who had adopted me. I reached out to squeeze Sehun’s hand, leaning forward in curiousity.

“You knew my father?”

“Oh, yes. He was the only Gaian in the Order who could travel back and forth between worlds. He was branded by the Illuminati.” He smiled at me. “I met him once and he made an impression. A smart man, a kind man. Of course, he decided to stay in Earth because his wife was Gaian.”

I blinked, not knowing what to reply because I knew that he really wasn’t my father.

“When he disappeared, none of us went back to Earth for a while until we found out we would have a war with Euren and were told to recruit both you and your brother. It all worked out well.” He smiled at me. “Now you’re getting engaged to the son of the Royal Headmaster. You both look like a lovely pair.”

“Thank you, Master Changho.”

“That’s Uncle to you, Sehun,” Suho’s father said and Sehun turned a light shade of pink before bowing down to the man. “Alright, I won’t keep you. There are many people begging for your attention. Oh, look. My son is coming.”

I saw Suho coming towards us. His eyes flickering over to his father for a second before he smiled at both of us.

“The lovely couple,” he said and Sehun chuckled, Suho patting his shoulder. “I would stay but—Father, Master Han, the owner of Pledis Enterprise is looking for you. Business calls.”

“Of course. Thank you for notifying me, son,” Changho said, giving us a final smile and turning to leave. I knew that he would have been a heartthrob when he was young. He had a skip in his step and a charming smile. I watched Suho nod at his father and I realized that he didn’t hate his father as much as I thought he did, the guy just had a traumatic past.

I was so deep in my thoughts that Sehun’s interaction with another older man went unnoticed until I dragged my gaze from Suho. I heard Sehun speaking in a low voice, a much respectful voice and when I finally turned and I saw that it was a man who had impeccable looks. He was tall and had such good skin—he reminded me of…

“You must be Harin. I see you’re the one Jaehyun has been spending time with.” He spoke kindly and I quickly bowed down to the man. “My son seems to enjoy your presence. Now that you’re going to be engaged with the Royal Young Master and I have finally seen you in person, I must say that you really are a beautiful young one.”

“T-Thank you, Master…” I paused, flickering my eyes to Sehun, not knowing what his name was.

“Jung. Master Jung,” he said, straightening when I saw Jaehyun making his way towards us. We have been seeing a lot of strained father-and-son relationships and I didn’t know how to deal with the lot of them, but I was glad when Jaehyun stopped in front of me and congratulated me in front of his father.

“Where’s Johnny?” Master Jung asked his son, Jaehyun’s forehead creasing as his father spoke.

“He’s with the Keepers. Nearby… Oh—”

“Oh, there he is,” Master Jung mused, and I saw Johnny physically running towards us, jumping and leaping across the ground. Jaehyun turned pink but I understood why Johnny was so protective. We all were with the information from Shinee that the Royal Headmaster wanted to kill Jaehyun. “Johnny, as energetic as always.”

“Yooo—I mean. Master Jung.” Johnny bowed down a hand going to grab Jaehyun’s hand before frowning to him and whispering loudly. “How dare you leave me? Don’t do that!”

“Now, Johnny. I’m sure Jaehyun can be without you for a few minutes.” Master Jung said pointedly. “Well, I’m off to mingle some more. Young Royal Master, in a case that my older brother shows a bit of spite because of your annulment of your engagement plans with Lady Krystal… Do tell him that I told him that love comes first.”

“Yes, sir.” Sehun replied robotically.

“I’m staying with Harin and Senior Sehun, Father,” Jaehyun said to Master Jung who gave a small nod. When his father left, Jaehyun leaned closer to us to mumble under his breath. “Uh, the vigilantes are here if you guys don’t know.”

“The vigilantes?” I swept my eyes over the room, searching for them but to no avail. “What do you mean?”

“We mean, we caught sight of them,” Johnny replied when he caught sight of Kyungsoo bounding to us excitedly.

“Johnny! Johnny!” Kyungsoo called out. “We have new member! Keeper Club now 6 member!”

“Kyungsoo, who did you force to join?” I teased and Kyungsoo shook his head.

“That guy will join Keeper Club.” Kyungsoo pointed to an old man. “He promise come meeting every week.”

“Senior, but that guy is not a Keeper,” Johnny said pointedly. “Oh my god, who did you recruit?!”

“I make him new Vice if you not help, Johnny,” Kyungsoo responded and Sehun gave my hand a tug and I motioned them over, Johnny and Jaehyun trailing us from behind. “Kyungsoo follow Master now.”

We had gone through a number of people, same greetings, same blessing from people when I noticed a familiar face by the entrance. I pulled Sehun’s hand and brought it to him attention, the male’s eyes widening when he realized who it was. We walked towards the door man, the male freezing on the spot.

“Very inconspicuous, Jungkook.”

“What gave it away?” Jungkook questioned, blinking at us. “Does the doorman cap not cover enough of my face?”

“You not open door, that’s why,” Kyungsoo told him and Jungkook cursed under his breath.

“I knew I wasn’t doing something right!”

“Why are you here?” Sehun asked and Jungkook lowered his voice.

“We heard… You know.” He jerked a thumb towards Jaehyun. “So, just to make sure. I know you are impenetrable, Johnny, but honestly it never hurts to have more protection.”

“It’s alright, I agree. I’m not leaving Jaehyun’s side,” Johnny replied.

“Is it only you?” Sehun asked him and Jungkook shook his head.

“V is there… hey! V!” Jungkook motioned and I noticed the man for the first time. He was wearing a waiter’s uniform with a platter on his palm. “He’s amazing in balancing those things… Look at him.”

I had to agree. V was a man of many talents, I see. He bowed every time someone came to get the delicacies from him and the food on his platter did not budge. He seemed to be very experienced in the art of waitressing.

“Why is he wearing a mustache?” I asked, Jungkook giving me a “can’t you tell?” look. “Oh, he has to be in disguise. Well, then… Where is Namjoon?”

“Here!” A soft whisper sounded and we all turned to see the brownie watering a plant. Its big eyes looked up at us and I noticed a pouch beside him. “Hello!”

I waved at him silently before noticing his attire. “Why are you wearing a long dress?”

Namjoon was wearing a long dress that trailed on the floor and he told me that he would change into his normal size after the engagement is over and he didn’t want to bring pants. I laughed at his logic and told him to be careful.

“I will,” Namjoon told me. “I just hate walking with brownie legs. They are so short!”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter