guess i'm invited?

The Rise of the Mages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

                                                                         

 

                                                                         I have told Suho not to tell anyone about what happened, not wanting my brother to worry. I had stayed in the infirmary for a few days and I honestly could not stand Sehun. The more time I spent with him, the more I wanted to throw something at him. He was just a few beds away and everything I did pissed him off.

“Ong Harin! Can you stop tossing and turning? I can hear you from here!” He had yelled at me and his annoyance annoyed me even more. I turned to him and kicked the sheets off the bed, making more noise. Who even gets annoyed at the sound of sheets being moved? It’s not like I was screaming a lullaby in his ear like how Kyungsoo would do every night because he was persuaded that it actually made Sehun sleep while he pretended to be asleep.

I was happy to be out of the infirmary and had picked up Bubbles to accompany me to class when I walked into the classroom of Baekhyun telling them what happened in the quest. He was bragging big time and I caught the bored expressions on everyone’s faces, only Chanyeol listening to him.

“Harin! How’ve you been?” Chen asked. “I won’t even ask you what happened, Baekhyun has told the story five times the past five days.”

“I can tell,” I answered, smiling at Chen who rose to give me a one-hand hug. “How’s everyone here? Any changes?”

Before Chen answered me, Sehun walked in with Kyungsoo. Baekhyun’s voice growing louder as he explained that he had used his powers on two people instead of one. “And Sehun is pretty useless without his powers.” He said, teasing Sehun who walked by. Suddenly vines came up and wrapped around Baekhyun’s waist, lifting him up as Sehun’s eyes flashed gray. Kyungsoo was beside him, his eyes dark green.

“Look here, Baekhyun—,” Sehun began.

“Why are you getting mad at him? You literally asked me to tank,” I said, raising an eyebrow at him. Everyone looked at me and then at Sehun. Kyungsoo, who was listening looked at Sehun, his vines disappearing as Baekhyun fell onto the floor. He grunted at Sehun and didn’t wait for Sehun to walk towards his seat.

“Disappointed at Oh Sehun,” Kyungsoo said, walking to his seat and sitting down. Sehun sighed, following Kyungsoo and taking his seat. “Disappointed. Very disappointed,” he mumbled under his breath.

I have never seen my brother since the incident, but I think he knew I was safe. I saw him running past the door, and to my surprise, EXO greeted him. His glasses were perched on top of his nose and I knew it was Seungwoo, standing up to hug him but Chanyeol beat me to it.

“Hey, Wanna-one!” Chanyeol yelled to Seungwoo who grabbed Chanyeols hand with a shoulder bump. “Here to see your sister?”

“Yeah,” he said breathlessly and I knew he was impatient to reach me so I walked towards him and was immediately engulfed in a hug. He sighed against my shoulder and stepped back, running his eyes over my skin to check for any bruises. “You’re fine.”

“I’m fine,” I told him, reassuring him. “I’m fine.” He had nodded and come for another hug. He drew back and settled in a seat beside mine.

“Why are you here?” I asked, seeing that the books on the table had his name on them.

“I’ve been training with EXO the past few days,” he answered, telling me to sit down. When I did, he turned the chair to me so he was facing me. “Donghae thinks that training with them will develop my powers faster. I get to hear Wooseung clearly in my head now, he literally cursed the gods when he heard you were kidnapped. He almost lost it but since I was the one in the limelight, he couldn’t do something.”

“Oh, and they call you Wannaone?” I asked, wondering about his new nickname.

“Yeah, like Wanna be one. But it’s Wannaone for short. It has only me and Wooseung in it, that’s why it's Wannaone; because we want to be one. Get it?” I noticed my brother was a bit more talkative but I took it as a good sign, it meant he was enjoying SM.

“So, they all know you switch?” I asked him and Seungwoo nodded. “That’s good.”

“No worries. Once you get your powers—.” Seungwoo’s sentence was cut off when Kris walked in to tell them that it was time for group training and that meant the gym. Seungwoo tapped my shoulder and I stood up, following them to the gym.

“I was so worried when I heard you were kidnapped. I thought they kidnaped you because you were a girl and wanted to kill you because I remembered what Kris told us before, you know. The Witches of Salem?” Seungwoo said, walking beside me. “Hard to admit, but I was a bit more relieved when Donghae said that it was because of Sehun. I’m just glad you’re safe.”

Oh, little did he know about the things I heard. Nodding and thanking him for his concern, we entered the gym and I went to sit on the bleachers as usual. Sehun had followed my suit, but he sat a row above me, stretching out his long legs and crossing them. I couldn’t help but notice that it wasn’t bandaged and I turned to look at him. He raised an eyebrow at me, questioning why I was looking at him.

“How’s your leg?” I asked.

“Shut up,” he answered moodily, but I was immune to his bad mood and I reached over, trying to push his pant leg up. “What are you doing, Gaian?”

“I want to see. Will it scar?” I asked, and he shook his leg, scooting away from me. “Come back here, Oh Sehun.”

He didn’t say anything and didn’t move so I stood up and walked over to him, curious to see if it would scar even though it had punctured his whole leg. “Let me see. Will it scar?” I asked him again, kneeling down and grabbing his leg and he didn’t wince.

“Wrong leg, idiot. Seriously, what are you—” His question was cut off by Chanyeol who had called out for my brother and I got distracted, turning to see that Chanyeol was telling Seungwoo to train with him. Chen was also by the bleachers and I released Sehun’s leg, going to sit by Chen instead. He welcomed me and scooted over as I took the seat beside him. I heard Sehun scoff and I shot him a look, Sehun crossing his legs.

“Seungwoo has been training with Chanyeol. Before this Chanyeol couldn’t maximize his powers because his powers are incredibly fiery. Kyungsoo can hold him off, but Kyungsoo never really bothered training. Seungwoo has been developing really fast though. I heard that today Chanyeol will try to use his powers and combo it with Baekhyun. He’s excited because it’s the first time he tried his powers with Baekhyun’s aid,” Chen explained and it really did seem like my brother was getting along with the rest of EXO, Seungwoo even.

“Baek!” I heard Chanyeol call out, Baekhyun hopping down the bleachers from where he was waiting. “Come, let’s try it.”

“Hey, Chen. I heard the back-liners are coming to train with us today,” Xiumin said, referring to Luhan and Tao. “Why aren’t they here yet?”

“Senior Donghae probably is holding them in homeroom. They’ll be here soon,” Chen said and Xiumin took a seat beside me. “Seungwoo’s kind of pushing it today, no? You think he’ll be able to take it with Baekhyun in Chanyeol?”

“Should be alright,” Xiumin replied and I saw Chanyeol shine as Baekhyun merged into Chanyeol’s body. Chanyeol jumped up and down excitedly, shaking his hands to free his fingertips. I saw Seungwoo adjust his glasses and I recognized them as new ones, probably enchanted to be able to take energy blasts. They seemed thicker, more rimmed.

“Ready, bro?” Chanyeol asked and Seungwoo nodded, taking in position. Chanyeol moved his hands, shooting forward fire. It was bigger, much much bigger and the fire burned, the floor and almost reaching the ceiling. I wasn’t used to it yet, so I found myself gasping, Seungwoo with his arms wide open as the fire shot straight into his chest. Chanyeol didn’t stop here, moving his hands and Seungwoo still didn’t show signs of pain. Suddenly, Seungwoo grunted and I saw him clench his teeth.

“Chanyeol, enough! He’s nearing his limit!” Chen called out to Chanyeol who was about to stop when Seungwoo shook his head.

“A little bit more,” I was surprised at my brother’s adventurous bravery. The old Seungwoo wouldn’t even bother trying anything dangerous. Chanyeol nodded and shot a few seconds more when the slamming of the door sounded from the front of the gym and we all looked over to see that it was Luhan and Tao.

“Hey—,” I heard Chanyeol say and when I looked back, I saw that my brother seemed different. Chanyeol had stopped, Baekhyun already beside him when my brother began to multiply. Six of him shot out of his body in different directions and stood there. My mouth dropped open in awe.

My brother, the real one and not his clones took out his glasses and ruffled his hair. It was Wooseung, and I realized the door slam must have triggered him into coming out. Chanyeol was still stunned, looking at the six other Wooseung’s that were standing idly throughout the gym.

“Seungwoo or Wooseung?” Baekhyun asked and Wooseung pointed to his lack of glasses.

“The latter,” He said, pocketing the glasses. “What happened?”

“I… I think you found your power, man,” Chanyeol said while slapping himself to make sure he wasn’t dreaming and Wooseung looked around, confused. Awe then filled his face when he saw multiple of him, across the gym. Xiumin breathed, everyone still amazed.

“I think Seungwoo took in the power so when Wooseung switched, it rebounded the energy as different clones of him,” Xiumin said and I nodded, knowing it made sense. “He must be so narcissistic; he rebounded the energy as himself,” Xiumin joked and Chen laughed.

Kai was teleporting throughout the gym, poking the extra Wooseung’s who just stood there. Wooseung, walking to one of them and raising its hand watched as its hand fell limply to the side. He made a face.

“That’s not fun. They just stand there,” Wooseung said and slowly the figures began to fade into thin air.

“I think by the time you’ll be able to control them and they can fight for you!” Chen yelled out to Wooseung who waved at Chen.

“Hey, Chen! Long time no see!” His eyes fell on me and he suddenly turned serious, marching up the bleachers just to hug me. The excitement of finding his powers was nowhere close to his worry of how I was and I felt it. “Harin,” he breathed and I patted his back.

“I’m fine,” I told him and Wooseung nodded, patting my head.

He looked over my face like how Seungwoo did and sighed. “I’m happy you are. I got my powers now so bring me everywhere, I’ll develop it and protect you.” He told me and I agreed when he whipped his head around and looked for Sehun. “Oi! OH SEHUN!”

I grabbed Wooseung who seemed like he was about to fight Sehun, not wanting Wooseung to cause a scene. Sehun flickered his eyes over to Wooseung, boredly and Wooseung pointed at him on the face.

“Next time you bring my sister out, the least you can do is make sure she’s safe!” He yelled and Sehun smirked, standing up.

“There’s no next time,” he concluded and with a glare, he walked down the bleachers to get away from the noisiness of everyone else.

[When he realized Sehun asked Harin to tank: "Disappointed at Oh Sehun.", Kyungsoo muttered.]

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I did not join them all for dinner, a hollow pit in my stomach as I sat down in the gardens with Bubbles. In a few days, it would be their school break and I was taking in every detail, knowing I wouldn’t come back to SM. I could see no signs of my powers showing, and it was obvious I had none at this point—but my feelings were a straight mix between sad and relieved.

My brothers were enjoying it here, and I could tell. Wooseung more than Seungwoo, now that he had his powers, but both of them have seemed to find their footing. An echowomp came up to me and I gulped, turning to smile at it as it waited for me to speak.

“Hey,” I said, leaning back against the bench and it fluttered mid-air, its glittering wings reflecting the light.

“A pretty girl should never be alone,” it spoke back, my voice coming from its lips. I chuckled. I’ll miss the creatures, of course, my eyes going to Bubbles that was sleeping soundly. The knot at the bottom of my stomach turned harder at the thought of leaving her. I couldn’t bring her, that was a given. I would have to go back to university back in Seoul, back to living in the dorms with my friends, and as much as I found comfort in the idea; the thought of leaving Bubbles was torturing.

“I’m not alone. You’re here,” I said softly and the echowomp laughed, its laugh eerily like mine. My head went back to the words that have been bugging me the past few days and my mind wandered to Oh Shin who seemed all levels of normal. Biting my lip, I decided to go to the library, standing up with Bubbles dazedly stretching with my sudden action.

The walk to the library was peaceful, the sun set halfway. I remembered where it was at, going down the same path Xiumin has brought me through before. Stopping in front of th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter