what makes you so special?

The Rise of the Mages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ong Harin… They’re not you.”

My eyes fluttered open and I closed them again, letting out a frustrated groan. After that day, I told Sehun to leave and never talk to me again. I was angry and annoyed and now it has been almost four days since I’ve seen him. The past four days, I’ve been with Jaehyun—telling him almost everything that was going on and scouting the Royal Library in order to get more evidence. I was buried in mounds of paper with Jaehyun almost every day, basking in the sound of him humming random songs. I knew that I had to start telling people, EXO being my first target. Jaehyun was with me every step of the way and he was the first person I saw in the morning and the last person I saw at night.

Out of all my problems, I had another one added and that was my dreams.

I have been dreaming about Sehun for four days, rewinding his words over and over again like a merry-go-round. I felt myself get annoyed every time I remembered him. His face haunted me and every day I had a small hope that he would be walking down my hallway.

I was out of my mind.

I opened my eyes and rolled to my side, pressing a hand against my head before trudging to the bathroom. It was 7 am in the morning and I knew that in thirty minutes, Jaehyun would already be in front of my door and we’d get breakfast and lounge in the library for the whole day. I brushed my teeth and took a shower, deciding that I would be the one to surprise him in front of his doorstep this time. I slipped into my clothes, grabbing my coat because of how unbelievably chilly it was. I walked to the door to open it slightly when I heard Krystal talk.

It took me my all to not roll my eyes to the back of my head. Krystal stayed on the same floor as I was, her room right next to mine while Jaehyun’s room next to hers. Our floor was for guests so I figured out as much and I have seen her around, but she would always just stare at me as if I had something on my face. Jaehyun always told me not to think about it, that his cousin was just a spoiled brat. I decided not to go out simply because I didn’t want to cross paths with her when I heard her say Sehun’s name.

“Thank you, Royal Young Master,” she told him and my heart twisted when I heard Sehun’s voice. I closed the door softly, pressing my ear against the door just to hear him speak.

“You’re welcome. Though I hope it’ll never happen again, Lady Krystal,” Sehun said to her. I frowned. What happened? I wanted to slap myself. I was never curious about other peoples’ business and I had no idea why I was here with my ear against the door trying to eavesdrop. “My father would not approve of me in your bedroom. You are a Lady, after all.”

I rolled my eyes this time, stepping away from the door just to walk back to the bed and fall face flat onto my covers. I hated feeling this way. Sehun pissed me off. He tells me Jaehyun shouldn’t be invited into my room but now he’s going to another women’s room? I decided to go back to sleep, annoyance filling my chest. I climbed back under the covers and made a mental note to tell Jaehyun that I was feeling sick. My mood was ruined and wanted to be alone. I rolled onto my back when I heard a knock on my door followed by Sehun calling out my name.

What did he want now?

I turned to the side when I heard him push the door open. I forgot to lock the door after I closed it and I could hear Sehun breathing. I closed my eyes pretending to sleep, knowing he would never wake me up if I was actually sleeping. His footsteps approached and my body tensed.

“Why doesn’t she lock the door when she sleeps?” I heard him grumble softly to himself when I peeked past my eyelashes and saw his shadow fall upon me. He sighed and I wondered what he was doing in my room when he reached out and dragged a finger over my cheek. “What an idiot.” He muttered and I would have sat up and punched him if my desire to not talk to him wasn’t more than my anger for him.

“Senior.” I suddenly heard another voice say and Sehun’s hand left my cheek. He seemed to have turned when Jaehyun greeted him. “Goodmorning, Senior Sehun.”

“Jaehyun,” Sehun said and I didn’t have to open my eyes to know how his face looked like. “What are you doing here?”

“Here to see Harin,” Jaehyun replied, his footsteps coming into my room. “I see she has left the door open again.”

“Hmm…” Sehun’s voice trailed when silence filled the room and I desperately wanted to open my eyes to see what was going on when I heard footsteps walk to the door followed by the slamming of the door. I kept my eyes closed when I heard Jaehyun chuckle in the background, and the bed dipped from his weight.

“You can open your eyes now, Harin,” he teased and I jolted up, seeing that he was sitting on the edge of the bed.

“How’d you know?” I asked Jaehyun who shrugged. “I was sleeping really still!”

“That’s the problem. You were so tense, like a rock. Who sleeps like that?” Jaehyun asked, slipping under the covers too and closing his eyes. He was beginning to be comfortable with my presence. From being overbearingly polite, Jaehyun now teased me from time to time and I enjoyed this version of him more. I slid down, pulling the blanket up to my chin and frowning.

“I’m still sleepy,” I told Jaehyun who nodded, running a hand through his hair. “I’m so tired of trying to find stupid articles. I don’t even know how to get money to find Shinee.”

“Why do you need money to find Shinee?” Jaehyun asked and I sighed. “I thought they were to help you find the Royal Messenger.”

“Because they are like… hired hitmen. Remember when I told you someone tried to kill me?” I asked him and he nodded, suddenly looking worried. “Sehun’s father hired Shinee to do that.”

“And then you need a whole lot of money to ask them to find Namjoon?”

I nodded in response to his question, thinking about ways to find money. Borrowing was an option, but where would I find money to return them? I turned to Jaehyun who was also deep in thought.

“I could always ask my father,” Jaehyun told me. “But I’m afraid he’ll think I’m up to something and send men to follow me around.”

That was true too. Jaehyun hardly had any freedom even if his family was the second richest in Exodus. His family was always telling him to do things and had his future set and that was why Jaehyun refused to go home most of the time. He has told me his family was toxic and he would find a job that would allow him to stand on his own two feet and not lean on the blood money he might inherit later.

Jaehyun’s family owned a lot of land in Exodus, more than the Oh’s but they weren’t as influential in power. He had told me before that his family owned a forest and they would cut down trees and process them, making his family one of the biggest suppliers of timbered furniture. His family also worked with Oh Shun’s factory, Oh Shun charming certain things like cabinets or doors. The amount of revenue that both the Jung and the Oh family would get per year was enough to make them last a lifetime.

“I can’t let you get followed around,” I told him and he chuckled.

“How about Senior Suho?” he asked and I frowned. “I think he’d lend you money if you asked.”

That was true too. Suho’s father was the third on the list of the richest men in Exodus. He bought an island and named it after his son who was just born and a lot of Suho’s money came from a variety of investments. Suho’s father also owned Edgewater Bank, the only bank in Soul City thus monopolizing the industry.

“I guess I can,” I told him, knowing that Suho wouldn’t ask much. At most, he’d just tell me to be safe with whatever I was doing. Suho was never the type to meddle.

“Or…” Jaehyun’s voice trailed, turning to look at me with his eyes sparkling. “We can borrow money from Haechan and Mark.”

I couldn’t help but smile when I heard Jaehyun use the word “we”. It was heartwarming to know I wasn’t in it alone.

I frowned at him, raising an eyebrow. “What do you mean Haechan and Mark?”

“Those two have ways of getting money,” Jaehyun replied. “They’re always buying things. I don’t know how they do it, but all that stuff Haechan has in his mansion? He bought all of it. I think we can always ask them. They’re very generous.”

“Can we?” I asked and Jaehyun nodded. “They’ll be in SM right now, right? I know Haechan went to Rumpelstiltskin for awhile with my brothers.”

“They will be. Class has started, it’s been four days. I heard from my father that the new Headmaster of SM, Senior Leetuek is pretty strict and he wants everyone’s powers to be at a certain level to graduate. Graduating is not as easy anymore,” Jaehyun replied. “We can go to SM today and meet those two.”

Well, at least we’ll be cutting out our options if it didn’t work.

I nodded and sat up, Jaehyun mirroring my actions.

“Grab your coat, Harin. I have a feeling it’s going to be a long day.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[SM; School of Mages]

I know it’s just been a few days since I left SM but I was already feeling nostalgic when we stepped out of the portal that was in the courtyard. I saw everyone walk around, their uniforms fluttering against the wind. There were trainees that weren’t in groups yet, scouted mages whose powers haven’t been developed. Some of them had recognized us, probably from our photos on the new papers. We were greeted by some of them, bowing so deeply I felt embarrassed by the sudden show of respect.

We walked down out of the courtyard and it was already past twelve which usually meant everyone was in class. Jaehyun told me that we would find them in the NCT classroom, which would not change every year. We both walked past the hallway. I felt weird, recognizing my old classroom now being filled with juniors. NCT were now considered Seniors and Jaehyun popped his head into the classroom, his eyes scanning the room.

“Jaehyun!” a voice called and he waved.

“Hey, Doyoung… Ten… Jungwoo… Tae-il….” His voice trailed as he greeted all of them. They whooped and cheered, running over for hugs as they greeted him happily while I stood beside him awkwardly.

“Doyoung, I came to see Haechan and Mark. Do you know where they are?” Jaehyun asked and the slender faced boy shook his head.

“After the announcement in the morning, those two disappeared. A lot of our classmates disappeared.”

“What happened?”

“Headmaster Leeteuk is horrible,” Doyoung said to us, letting out an exhale. “He wants us to keep writing essays and our evaluation will be every two days instead of every month. Do you know how tiring that is? And what am I supposed to get evaluated on? My only skill is to turn invisible.”

“Well, did you ask him that?” Jaehyun asked and Doyoung nodded.

“I asked him what I would be evaluated on since I had only one skill and he said then I better find another skill. What does that mean? It doesn’t make sense,” Doyoung grumbled. Murmurs of agreeance came from those who have crowded around us. Jaehyun let out a sigh and I knew he felt bad that he graduated first and could not help his classmates.

“Well, I know you all are going to do very well. Your competence has been proven so many times before,” he told them and they nodded. I blinked. Jaehyun was a leader in his own way, the way he spoke was gentle and caring but firm. They all looked at him and I knew NCT had 21 members so Jaehyun being the top of the class was impressive and respectable. “I’m heading off, have a great day. I’ll come and visit some other time.”

“Of course,” Doyoung replied, giving Jaehyun a pat on his back. “Haechan and Mark might be by the garden. Do try to check.”

“Thank you,” Jaehyun told him before giving them a final wave and turning to lead me to the garden.

“I have a bad feeling about Senior Leeteuk,” I told him and Jaehyun let out a sharp exhale.

“You told me he’s the one who killed Senior Donghae, right? If it’s because of the charm, I wouldn’t blame him. He might be working under orders,” Jaehyun said logically. “But Harin, that doesn’t mean it’ll make him any less dangerous if it’s not his real self doing it. It means the Royal Headmaster has him so spun up in his charm that he would do anything he is told.”

We had reached the garden but Haechan and Mark was no where to be found. I decided to sit, the feeling in my stomach unsettling at the news we had heard from Doyoung. Leeteuk being a bad headmaster and changing the policies in SM must have a reason. Jaehyun sat beside me and I could see echowomps fluttering around him as he hummed the song I was already so used to hearing when we heard footsteps approached.

“He-eyyy!” Mark’s voice was loud and clear and beside him was Haechan, the pouch master with his pouch. “Senior Harin! Why do you look so down?”

“Are you pregnant or broke?” Haechan piped up innocently, clutching his pouch. “If you’re pregnant, I’m afraid we can’t help you. Hi, Jaehyun. How does it feel like leaving all of us here alone?”

“Now, now, Haechan. No reason to be salty,” Jaehyun said to the younger male who huffed irritably. “Why weren’t you two in class?”

“We hate the Headmaster and since we’re the graduating class, he is teaching us in almost all of our classes,” Mark replied before lowering down his voice to a whisper. “So, we put up a business.”

“A business?” I asked. I knew Haechan and Mark were creative and were always doing crazy things, but I never knew they were entrepreneurs.

“Yes, Senior. I now hide people in my pouch and I get one Cristal for one hour. I’m rich!” Haechan said before looking at Mark. “Mark is the one who gets me customers.” He dropped his voice so it was really low. “We have 26 people in my pouch right now so I’m getting 13 Charms by the end of his hour!”

“Wow.” I found myself saying. They really were smart.

“Anyway, I heard from Doyoung you wanted to find us?” Mark asked and I glanced at Jaehyun, suddenly feeling uncomfortable in asking money from them. “You’re not really pregnant, are you? Is it Senior Sehun? Oh my Jesus. You are going to be executed!”

“Mark,” Jaehyun said sharply. “That’s not how you talk to a lady.”

Mark gave me an apologetic look and I blinked at his sudden conclusion that I would be pregnant, especially with Sehun.

“No, I’m not. I’m here to borrow some money,” I told them and Mark’s face relaxed.

“Well, why didn’t you say so? I thought you were pregnant!” Mark exclaimed, reaching out a hand to grab mine before dragging me to the dorms. My eyes widened but I allowed him to drag me, Jaehyun and Haechan following us from behind. Mark had brought us over to his dorm room and it seemed like nothing had changed since I went there on my birthday. Mark’s bed was still in a boat and sailor things still filled the walls while Haechan’s side still had boxes.

“Here. How much do you need, Senior?” Haechan asked, heading over to one box and sticking his hand inside. I didn’t know how much I needed, so I told him that I needed a lot. As much as they can lend me and surprisingly Haechan told me not to worry. Stinking his hand in the pouch while Mark appeared with a cloth bag, Haechan began taking massive amounts of glittery pearls out of the box and filling the bags with it.

Even Jaehyun looked surprised, blinking at the amount of pearls.

“One of these pearls are around seventy? Seventy-five charms. Sometimes depending on the size. You can go and exchange it for money in Edgewater Bank,” Haechan told us conversationally without batting an eye as he scooped more pearls into the cloth bag. “Is this enough? We can always give you more, Senior. I have too many.”

“Why do you have so many pearls?” I asked Haechan who shrugged.

“Water dragons poop out pearls. Maddlekabob especially. When she stayed with us, we fed her almost everything from bread to salad to watermelons and sometimes even Ms. Tiffany—May her soul rest in peace… Moment of silence.”

Haechan paused and closed his eyes before opening them again. “—bird food. So Maddlekabob actually had so much diarrhea.” He said it proudly. “So now, since it’s been a few years of us taking care of her; we’re rich. We have too many to spare. I have like sixteen boxes filled with pearls. That box over there are filled with green pearls though.” He pressed his lips together. “Because there was a moment when we fed Maddlekabob too many lettuce.”

Ah. So that was why the cave they found the water dragons in was called the Pearl Caves. I know Haechan and Mark had to bid goodbye to Maddlekabob after the war since she imprinted on her mother, but I didn’t know they kept her poop and accumulated them this much over the years.

“Wouldn’t it be easy now for people to go to the Pearl Caves and get pearls?” I asked Mark who shook his head.

“Water dragons poop underwater so the area underwater is filled with pearls. Though I hardly think anyone would dive that deep underwater to get the pearls. There are accounts of people asking Mermaids to do it for them though, but now there is a rule that people should not exploit the mermaids for money. Mermaids in turn can’t ask for help from humans. Business between the humans and mermaids are forbidden.”

“Here,” Haechan said simply, dragging over another cloth bag that was filled with more pearls. “Here you go, Senior.”

“Thank you, Haechan…” I said to him and he beamed. “I’m afraid I can’t pay you back.”

“Not a worry!” he told me. “I’m happy you and Senior Wooseung and Seungwoo came to SM,” he answered and I remembered that my brothers were at the centaur gap with Haechan and Rumpelstiltskin a few days ago.

“Where are they anyway?” I asked Haechan.

“Still with Uncle Rumpel,” he replied. “I go back to them after class every day and walk to school in the morning since it’s not that far. They are helping Uncle Rumpel with his community hours and tasks. I think he has around forty thousand hours left. Why don’t you come, Senior? We can walk there after school.”

“No, no. Maybe some other day,” I told Haechan who nodded. “Thank you for the pearls, Haechan. I think me and Jaehyun will go and run some errands.”

“Alright, Senior. Me and Mark will hide in the pouch now. I think we were supposed to have a quiz,” Haechan said before whispering. “Don’t tell anyone we’re here! Lock the door before you leave!”

I chuckled, watching Haechan push Mark into the pouch, following him inside.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Edgewater bank]

Jaehyun and I struggled to pull the bags of pearls towards Edgewater bank. We had stepped out of the portal in the alley and were now making out way to Edgewater Bank. Soul City looked different from before and there were banners of handsome men hung around the streets. The banners had the words “Monsta-X” on them and quotes about the victorious war. I didn’t give it much thought, moving forward when I saw a bunch of young teenage girls screaming at a cutout of the handsome men.

“What are those?” I asked Jaehyun who stared at the cutout. There were six cut-outs, the men posing in a very advertising manner as the photos shifted to show different poses. They seemed to be advertising insurance for those who wanted it. I didn’t know Exodus had such a thing.

“You mean who are those?” Jaehyun asked, frowning. “We call them stars. I don’t know if you have them on Earth, but they sing and dance for people. Monsta-X come from the Star Training Center, the only Center that trains young people to become entertainers. Senior Xiumin’s father owns it.”

“Oh… So, like k-pop idols. Isn’t Chen also a singer?”

“I heard Senior Chen was in the Soul Theatre. It’s different, really. Being a star and being a singer,” Jaehyun told me. “My parents hired Monsta-X for one of my enlightenment parties but their followers came and ransacked the party. It didn’t work out that well.” Jaehyun shrugged and I nodded. “They are really big in the Union of Serpents though. Monsta-X are really famous. Even the sirens know them.”

“What?” I asked, shocked. “How’d you know they know them?”

“When you didn’t arrive yet, I heard one siren humming Monsta-X songs,” Jaehyun replied like it was the most normal thing in the world. I couldn’t help but laugh on their take on entertainment.

We passed the banners and the screaming teens, walking into the bank. It was big and there were so many booths for those who needed help. I almost slipped, Jaehyun’s arm shooting out to steady me, his arm wrapping around my waist. Thanking him, we walked towards the nearest booth to hear a familiar voice from behind the glass.

“Hello, what may I help you with?” he asked, a soft voice said and my eyes widened, knowing who it was. I jumped, trying to see his face because of how high the booth was, Jaehyun chuckling at my excitement. “Oh… Harin!”

“Eunwoo!!” I almost screamed, Eunwoo’s face brightening up when he saw me. He looked just the same. It hasn’t been long, maybe a month or so and he looked just like how he was when he left. Did he find the girl he was looking for? What was he doing working in Edgewater Bank when Xiumin had loads of money? I had so many questions.

“Harin! I’ve missed you! Wait… What are you doing here? Are yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter