the rebellion of nana's children pt. 2

The Rise of the Mages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Underground Royal Castle, Eve]

After my talk with my adoptive father, Guanlin took me back to the castle. He saw that I was emotionally drained and I told him I was fine. Baekhyun was concerned and he kept asking me if I was okay. Telling him that I was, he squeezed my hand and told me it was fine. Walking back to the train station, Guanlin sat down, and suddenly he turned to me to ask me a question.

“I was meaning to ask, how is my other half?” he asked and I blinked at him, not understanding why he was asking me that. What did he mean, his other half?

“He means, your fiance’s twin,” Jihoon butted in. “Your prophecy—it goes “One half of a pair” so both you and your fiancé are twins.”

He flickered his eyes over to Guanlin who looked excited. “Guanlin here can’t wait to be married. He highlighted the coronation events in the Eve guidelines.”

“Wait. So, you’re supposed to end up with Sehun’s twin?” I asked Guanlin who nodded eagerly.

“I have rings made already,” he told me shyly, a smile on his face. “I can’t wait to meet the person! Is it a he or a she?”

“She,” Baekhyun was the one who spoke this time and Guanlin looked ecstatic, leaning forward to ask Baekhyun a follow-up question.

“Is she pretty? Not that I care,” he told Baekhyun when Jihoon scoffed, leaning back. Baekhyun nodded and Guanlin beamed.

“He does care,” Jihoon mused and I found myself laughing.

Guanlin turned red and settled down beside me, humming to himself. The new information seemed to have put him in a good mood and I chuckled, the train bringing us back to the Evian Royal Castle.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Back on Exodus]

They were flung up to the skies, the air around them suddenly changing. It was a bit harder to breathe and the only one who didn’t seem bothered by it was Lucas. Wooseung had to grip the rope so tightly, his hands creating indents in his skin when he felt himself soar past the clouds. Luhan looked like he was about to be sick when suddenly they reached the top.

It was a land above land, trees grew wildly everywhere and it was beautifully unkempt. All the mages tried to balance themselves as their knees trembled from the travel. Lucas landed gracefully on his feet while the rest clambered on the ground, their heads dizzy.

“LUCAAAAAS!” Uncle Bean yelled to him and they looked up to see Uncle Bean thrashing through the trees with his big feet. He grinned down at Lucas who waved at his uncle. The giants were friendly towards everyone and they were a happy family, content in living on their own with their family of Keepers. “WHHHY YOOOU HERRRRE, FAAAAT BOOOY?”

“Uncle Bean, I’m here on a mission!” Lucas replied, bouncing up and before they knew it, Lucas had jumped up in ease- grabbing the giant’s clothes and climbing up without any difficulty.

So, this was how they communicated.

Lucas made his way up with the giant’s clothes and it didn’t take long before he was perched on the giant’s shoulder, speaking to the giant. They all looked at Lucas with surprise. Maybe they all underestimated him and Johnny. To live with giants was no easy task.

“MHMMMMM!” Uncle Beam rumbled. “MHMMMM!”

Lucas was still talking when Tao looked up, frowning. Something was beginning to come and Tao knew it was vital not to miss the eclipse. The clouds seemed to part a little bit faster and Tao’s body felt a little bit weaker.

“Lucas!” Tao yelled from the giant's feet. “We may need to hurry!”

Lucas heard Tao’s voice despite the distance, quickly saying something to Uncle Bean when the giant stooped lower. His hand slammed against the ground as he laid his hand down flat.

“Get on! He’ll bring us to the mountain!” Lucas said to them and they all climbed on. Jaehyun waited for all of them to get on first before climbing after them. They all sat down, holding onto the skin of Uncle Bean’s hand when they were brought up higher than they already were. Lucas chattered happily on his uncles’ shoulder as they were brought past the huge mountains on the land above the beanstalk.

There were rivers and trees everywhere but as they neared the center of the land, they saw a huge castle that was for the giants to live in. It looked like a happy community. Uncle Bean seemed to know where they had to go, the giant striding forward step by step until they saw it. It was a mountain—a very tall one.

Taller than Uncle Bean, if it was even possible. There was mist up top but if Uncle Bean raised his hand, they had to climb very little. But Uncle Beam told them that he had to stop there and that the magic was too much for his giant body to take Lucas nodding. He cared for the giant and didn’t want him to get hurt.

“Put us near the top!” Lucas could be heard yelling when Uncle Bean slowly reached out and placed them past a little halfway through when they began to hop off. They would have to climb a little more when the eclipse came, but everyone could understand why it would be impossible for them to place the jewel.

The air burned.

The energy flowing through it settled on their skin and it was as if they could feel the magic in the air. Luhan grit his teeth, settling past the rocks and they all sat down and waited. Tao looked up, the clouds beginning to move. He didn’t have to know that it was the Zodiacs, the elf never witnessing anything that was so abrupt.

He was almost certain they were the ones timing the eclipse.

“It’s coming, isn’t it?” Wooseung asked, Tao nodding when the clouds began to gather. The sun was still bright on their faces and before they knew it—they could feel the magic slowly drop. “We better start climbing then. I feel a change.”

Tao agreed with this, Lucas leading all of them. They swung themselves up, their fingers finding space between the rocks as they tried to reach the top. The sun lessened and they could see a shadow cast through the sky, Lucas finally reaching the top.

His hands trembled as he held the crystal in one hand, turning to all of them who reached after him. He had no idea how to put up the crystal and he recalled Queen Medusa telling him that the crystal could only be put by the elves. He grabbed the crystal, swinging it in the air when Luhan suddenly used his powers.

The crystal flew up with Luhan’s telekinesis, but it didn’t bind itself. Lucas was beginning to worry when Tao stepped forward. His eyes flashed grey, his hand taking the crystal from Luhan as the shadow rapidly began to fall onto the land.

“Bring me up!” he told Luhan, but the drop of magic was making his friend’s power weak. But Luhan tried anyway, concentrating on Tao as Tao levitated up his hand outstretched into the sky. The crystal glistened and right at that moment the sun was fully covered and Tao could feel the electricity running through his body.

He closed his eyes, chanting a small hymn under his breath—something he knew would help in the binding of magic to the natural land. He was an elf; he was brought to Exodus to make it a beautiful place and was one with Light Magic. He whispered and right at that moment, the crystal shone and shot into the sky. Tao pushed it up, using all of the powers that settled in his elven body when the light from the crystal finally scattered out through the sky.

Luhan couldn’t hold Tao up anymore, the male laying Tao down. Tao was now weak, falling backward limply. The action was meant for multiple elves and Tao was just one.

“Tao!” Luhan exclaimed but then all of them were hit by a wave of pain. The ringing in their ears rang deafeningly and they gasped as the memories began to flood back. Lucas was the only one who could withstand the pain—the eclipse slowly inching away.

The crystal took away the magic of the mages and the rings but it wouldn’t take away the energy that ran through the top of the mountain. They had to leave before they were burned.

Lucas grabbed Tao who tried to stand with much difficultly, the man wrapping another of his hands around Jaehyun. He had to make sure there wasn’t a scratch on Jaehyun or Johnny would murder him with his bare hands. Wooseung and Luhan struggled, Wooseung grabbing Luhan’s hand as the eclipse began to pass.

“UNCLE BEAAAAN!” he yelled and Uncle Bean who was sitting, waiting for them roared back. “CATCH US! I’m jumping off!”

And right at that moment when the eclipse finally said goodbye, Lucas and Wooseung who were holding their friends leaped off the mountain.

That was one of those times when Tao felt that he used too much energy, his mind going blank as he fell asleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tao was dreaming and he didn’t know why he was but he moved through the field, his silver hair disheveled. He wondered if he could change his clothes accordingly to his taste for he looked tired and homeless when a small voice piped up—the elf turning to see the youngest of the Dreamweaver’s greeting him.

“Mr. Elf!” Jisung exclaimed and Tao blinked at him, shocked that the young one knew of his identity. But then again, Jisung dreamt of almost everything and everyone. Jisung bounded towards him, looking at him when he spoke. “Thank you. My headache is gone now because of you. I wanted to try to talk to you but you never sleep!”

“U-Uh….” Tao mumbled, wondering why the child was trying to talk to him.

Jisung still had that sharpie with the shape of a mustache on his face when he smiled at Tao. “I have something to tell you. I dreamt of it, a few days ago but I know it’s a matter of time before it comes. I’m so happy you knocked out!”

Tao blinked, nodding. He had seen and heard enough about Jisung to know to take Jisung’s dreams seriously. Jisung cleared his throat, leaning forward before telling Tao all he knew of.

Tao’s eyes widened.

That changed everything.

His journey was not over.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tao woke up to hear the chattering of his friends as the giants fed them. His whole body ached and his mind was scattered but that was how he knew the crystal worked. He sat up, Luhan rushing towards his side.

“How are you feeling?” Luhan asked and Tao raised a hand towards his head. “I can’t believe we all forgot Oh Shin.”

“You remember,” Tao murmured to Luhan who nodded. “Thank you for coming along even though you didn’t know what we were up to. Your loyalty knows no bounds.”

“My loyalty to you holds no bounds,” Luhan said to him, Tao giving his friend a tired smile. Tao had no time to waste, telling his friends that it was time to go back towards the Elven ruins.

“Everyone would have remembered Oh Shin by now,” Tao told them, standing up. Wooseung nodded, agreeing to go back to base and it wasn’t long before they were escorted by the giants towards the beanstalk. It was the same way down as the same way up, the mages gripping the ropes as they were flung down the beanstalk.

But it was easier this time and it wasn’t long before they were at the end of the beanstalk with the water dragons waiting for them. The rest of his mage friends were ready to go and Tao turned to them, a small smile on his lips.

“We have to part here,” he told them, Wooseung looking at Tao with surprise. What did he mean?

“What do you mean?” Luhan asked, Tao, telling them to go back to the ruins. “I’m coming with you—”

“I have to do this alone,” Tao replied, not wanting to explain everything he knew of. “Go, my friends. I have a few things to take care of.”

“What things?” Wooseung asked back, Tao giving him a smile. Wooseung was suspicious of Tao, the time mage definitely being something more than claimed to be. Wooseung watched as Tao got on his water dragon silently. “Tao! What things?”

“Go back to the Elven ruins. Say hello to my family for me. I’ll be back, Wooseung,” he looked at Wooseung for a slight moment. “I’ll be back when you finally grow to your title.”

Wooseung frowned at Tao, about to run towards him to stop him. Surely, Tao shouldn’t go on his own!

“What does that mean?” Wooseung yelled as Tao’s dragon began to fly up a bit more. “Tao, what does that mean?”

“You’re the savior’s savior, young one!” Tao responded, the water dragon flapping its wings. “When the time comes!”

And with that, the dragon flew away with Tao on it. Wooseung turned to see Luhan watch his friend leave, wondering why Luhan wasn’t saying anything. When Luhan saw Wooseung’s expression he chuckled.

“Knowing Tao for all these years, I know one thing,” Luhan told Wooseung, clasping his hand on Wooseung’s shoulder. “To never question his actions.”

Wooseung sighed. “I guess I’ll have to learn not to.”

“Let’s go back,” Luhan told Wooseung, climbing onto the water dragon. “Race you there?”

With a definite nod; Jaehyun, Lucas, Wooseung, and Luhan began to fly through the clouds towards the elven ruins.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Back on Eve]

I was asleep peacefully when suddenly my hand began to hurt and my head began to ring. Guanlin had promised us that we would go to the portal the next morning and I was looking forward to it. I was awoken from my sleep, my head suddenly spinning when I couldn’t help but scream. It was memory after memory and I found myself hyperventilating when the door was flung open and Jackson ran in with Mark, their expressions worried.

“Harin!” He said and I pressed my hands against my ears at the dull dizziness when realization settled in.

Oh Shin. It was Oh Shin and never Oh Shun. I gasped, suddenly feeling very panicked when Baekhyun ran through the door and threw himself on the bed, yelling that he remembered everything. Mark and Jackson were stricken by how we were acting.

“We should go and call the king,” Mark said, standing up and leaving the room. I closed my eyes, remembering Oh Shin’s face that was once wiped off from my memory as Baekhyun frantically mumbled to himself when a face popped through the door.

It was Ophiuchus and he tilted his head at us, calmly.

“I see the Scorpio Ring has lost its power.” And with that, he left.

How good it was to be a deity. They have been around long enough to not care about anything.

“Hualin?” Guanlin’s voice floated by and I looked up to see my twin brother walk into my room sleepily. “Hualin, are you remembering things?”

I nodded, Guanlin sitting down on the bed. Baekhyun was still talking to himself, Mark entering the room with Jihoon who looked worried.

“How… How did we forget?” I asked Guanlin who frowned.

“I have no idea. But I think it’s the Scorpio ring the Elves were talking about. I have not much knowledge of Oh Shin, only hearing things about him from the ball when they would try to hear about you. Does it hurt a lot?” he asked, worriedly and I nodded.

“I have to go back to Exodus, Guanlin. I need to see them. They were literally doing nothing for a long while.” My words seemed to wake Guanlin up, my twin pressing his lips together before turning to Jihoon.

“Prepare a suitcase. We’re bringing her to the portal,” Guanlin said and Jihoon nodded, leaving the room. I was already on my feet, hastily grabbing a pair of clothes when Mark asked me what was wrong.

“Sehun… he actually has a father. Remember I kept telling you about a bad man and said it was Sehun’s uncle? It’s actually his father who used the Scorpio ring and everyone forgot about his existence. Now that we remember everything, it means Oh Shin has been planning something with us not knowing. I can’t believe that we weren’t doing anything—”

“Harin,” Jackson spoke. “Calm down.”

I nodded, rubbing my knuckles that were aching. I knew why it was aching. Sehun must have remembered and punched the wall. I knew him enough to know that he turned violent when he was frustrated.

“Where are we going now?” Jackson asked and I turned to him. “Harin, we’re going with you. Do I have to remind you that we’re going to be beside you every step of the way? I mean, not because we’re curious but we also are—”

“We’re very curious. But it’s also because we’ve come this far together,” Mark told me honestly and I found myself smiling at my Gaian friends. “I also want to re-meet this Sehun dude.”

I nodded when Jihoon reentered the room with luggage and I wondered what it was. “I don’t need that much stuff,” I told him and Jihoon shook his head.

“All this is for Guanlin. He’s coming along. He doesn’t want to let you go alone. Understand him, he has only gotten you back for a few days,” Jihoon told me, placing the luggage by his feet. “And Exodus will probably have a lot of sunlight. We have been living underground for all our life, we need extra precaution.”

I understood when Baekhyun’s voice piped up.

“How did we suddenly remember?” He asked Jihoon who pressed his lips together.

“I don’t know,” he replied. “But Guanlin is talking to the elves right now. All I know is that I do not have my powers. I can’t read anyone’s mind.”

I frowned at the information, lifting my hands to the front as I began to focus. But as much as I tried, my eyes did not darken and I didn’t have any magic at all. Chewing on my lip, I saw that Guanlin was ready with another backpack behind him.

“The Elves said that someone had put up a crystal in the sky at the time of the eclipse. We wouldn’t know, we don’t have a sky,” Guanlin told me. “They said they are guessing it was your friend. Zhitao.”

“Tao did this?” I asked and Guanlin nodded.

“That’s what the elves think. Are you ready, sister? I feel the uneasiness in you. You must be very startled,” he told me and I nodded, having already changed behind the changing barrier. Baekhyun excused himself for a while with Mark and Jackson who were also going to change. “I can’t believe I will be meeting my other half very soon.”

I chuckled at my twin’s enthusiasm. He really was desperate to get married, wasn’t he? Unlike me and Baekhyun, Guanlin seemed carefree and excited to go back to Exodus. I was worried sick of what Oh Shin had been planning when my friends came back and we began to head towards the portal to Exodus.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Eve, underground portal]

We were brought to a portal at an isolated part of Eve but accessible by cable car. As we piled towards the cable car, I felt Baekhyun slip his hand into mine.

“We’re going home,” he whispered to me and I smiled at him. At this point, I had three homes and I was on the way to having an identity crisis. Even though I came from Eve, I grew up on Earth for twenty-one years, but I wanted to stay in Exodus because I found myself in Exodus.

It was confusing.

“It’s here,” Guanlin told us and we stood in front of a door that was sealed by a lock. Jihoon went to a safe beside the door, pressing his finger against a fingerprint scanner when the safe opened and there was a key for the lock. He unlocked the lock silently and the Guanlin turned to me. “You need to put a bit of your blood, Hualin. To activate the portal behind the door.”

Just like in the Cedar of Gods, I thought. I nodded, Jihoon passing me a small pin as I pricked my finger with no hesitation. My blood oozed out of my skin and we watched as energy began to form behind the door. The blood on my finger rose into the air and shot towards the door as it flung open.

“Portal is here,” Guanlin said, grabbing my hand. “Shall we?”

I nodded, turning to see Baekhyun grab Mark and Jackson’s hand and when I turned back, Guanlin had already stepped into the portal with me following him from behind.

We were on the way to Exodus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The travel was anti-climactic.

You would think that it would be different, but it was just a portal and I found myself surrounded by red rocks. We seemed to be in a cave and Guanlin was beside me, my friends stepping out of the portal shortly. Jackson looked sick and it reminded me of how I was when I first traveled through portals.

“Where are we?” I asked, and my voice echoed. We were all surrounded by rock and I still had no idea how to travel to Sehun that was based in the Elven ruins as he told me in my dreams. The air was dense and Guanlin leaned against the cave wall when we heard singing.

“Hi-ho, hi-ho, into the mines we go!” The singing repeated and Baekhyun looked up, gasping.

“We’re in the Byun mines!” Baekhyun told me and right when he spoke, there were sounds of running footsteps. “Eve’s portal to Exodus was in the Byun mines? Wait, no wonder the cave collapsed when I was younger!”

My eyes widened. I recalled someone telling me that Baekhyun found his power when the caves collapsed on him when he was young and people found him glowing. The mines probably collapsed because of the energy of the portal and it made so much sense because it seemed like we were deep in the mines.

“Young Master Baekhyun! Oh my! People!” A dwarf made its

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter