i'm not baekhyun

The Rise of the Mages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[SUHO, EXO]

“Dance with me.”

He stood there; his face unreadable. Kyungsoo stood beside him, dragging his eyes from Sehun to me then back to Sehun, frowning. Dongwook must have sensed the situation, excusing himself and dragging Gong Yoo away from the pastries that were now soaked in rainwater. The area we stood at smelled like petrichor and was a contrast to the rich scent of expensive perfume and gourmet food.

I must have been quiet for too long, Sehun sighing and crossing his arms.

“My father keeps making me talk to random women. It’s draining my energy. If he sees me occupied, he won’t bother,” he reasoned and I relaxed, realizing that it did sound logical. I rolled my eyes at him.

“Very Oh Sehun of you to use me as a reason to get what you want,” I told him and he narrowed his eyes at me, telling me that it was just a dance and I didn’t have to be so dramatic about it. I pursed my lips before breaking in a smile. I never danced at a ball before. I went to a high school dance but the music was far from regal and they played 90’s disco music. I was excited.

The problem was that I had two left feet.

“Why are you suddenly so happy?” he asked, watching me hop beside him as he led me to the dance floor. “Just a moment ago you were—”

“Shut up, Oh Sehun. I’m excited. I never danced in a ball before,” I told him, watching the couples around me as they twirled expertly.

“Never?” Sehun asked in disbelief. “What… That Mark Tuan never brought you to a ball before?”

“He did, but it hardly was this kind of dancing. Our dancing is jumping to EDM music.” I stopped myself from explaining was EDM music was because I knew he wouldn’t understand. Sehun didn’t ask any further and I turned to see that Oh Shin was looking at us, his eyes boring onto me and Sehun.

“Oh Sehun,” I began, turning to him. He suddenly seemed awkward, his hands hovering in the air like he didn’t know what to do. “Your father wants to kill me.” I whispered.

My words must have irked him, Sehun exhaling in annoyance. He wrapped a hand around my waist and dragged me closer, muttering to me to shut up.

“You really have the balls to say that to me, Gaian.”

“It’s the truth,” I said. I lifted my hand, not knowing where to put it. “Do I place this on your chest or your shoulder--? Oh Sehun, I want to twirl like that girl over there.” I jerked my chin over to a female who was turning like she was top, spinning.

Sehun didn’t say anything, his right hand grabbing my hand that was hovering in the air. I stumbled, stepping on his feet and he suppressed a groan, glaring down at me. He told me to dance simply in boxes, showing me simple steps that I confidently said I got it.

Sadly, I did not get it.

“Ouch, Gaian!” he yelped and I must have hit his feet too hard, my own feet began to hurt. “We’re trying to dance here, not trying to play whatever game you brought us to watch on Earth.”

“American Football,” I reminded him. “I told you I’ve never done this before!”

“And to think you want to twirl—OUCH!” Sehun yelped when I stumbled over his feet, slamming my left foot over his toes. He hopped on one foot, his hand tightening around my waist momentarily as he tried to steady himself. “Ong Harin—”

He was trying to keep himself together and I smiled at him sweetly. I wasn’t doing it on purpose, there simply was no reason to. I was really just a horrible dancer.

Sehun stopped moving his legs and I stopped too, mirroring his actions. He looked down on me and I felt his arm around my waist move to wrap around it before tightening. It was a smooth moment and before I knew it; he lifted me up and I stood on his expensive shoes. Sehun rocked me back and forth.

“Woah,” I said, feeling giddy. Even though I wasn’t actually dancing and Sehun was the one doing all the work with all my weight on his feet, it still felt like I wasn’t doing a bad job. “Smart, Royal Young Master Oh.”

“Couldn’t handle you stepping on my feet,” he complained, and I wrapped my arms around his neck to hold myself up, his other arm dropping down to hold my waist. I enjoyed it, that much I knew, feeling Sehun move back and forth gently while I hummed softly to myself.

People were watching, but I think Sehun knew that he didn’t have to care. At least he was gentle and I saw Baekhyun and Chanyeol dancing when I looked over his shoulder. They were twirling like they owned the floor, Baekhyun leaping into the air while Chanyeol pretended to be a mime. I suppressed a laugh, Sehun asking me what I was laughing about.

“Baekhyun,” I answered. “and Chanyeol. They’re a funny bunch, all of EXO.”

Sehun kept quiet, seemingly deep in thought at my words. He was about to open his mouth to say something when someone cleared their throat loudly, everyone in the room turning to the source of the voice. Sehun stopped moving and I clung onto him, trying to regain my balance. His arms were in the same place, only his face turning to the one who began to speak. I turned at the same time to see his father standing, an echowomp in his hand.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, and magical creatures of Exodus. I would like to thank you for coming to my one and only son’s annual enlightenment party,” Oh Shin announced, the room breaking into applause. I squirmed uncomfortably under Sehun’s grip when I saw everyone look over to us. He seemed unfazed, lowering his head three times to the people in front of him.

“Oh Sehun,” I whispered to him and he looked down at me. “Let me go.”

He blinked at me, his eyes falling on his arms that were wrapped around my waist before he slowly released them, turning to shove his hands down the pockets of his pants. I let out a sigh, turning bright red at the attention from the people who witnessed it when Oh Shin brought the attention back to him.

“I would like to announce something today that will hold importance to the future of Exodus.” He smiled, and I shivered at how nice yet scary he looked. “We have former rules of mages with active powers not being able to be in the Order. However, with negotiation with the rest of the Royal Order members, we have decided that it is time for change.”

He paused and I knew what was coming.

“Once my son graduates from SM, he will be put as part of the Order of Royals along with his trusted Advisors; Suho, Lay and Kris.” He motioned over to our seniors whose eyes widened at the news and I concluded that it was the first time they heard of it.

“That law was put up to make sure that Exodus doesn’t go into tyranny,” a voice spoke and I turned to see an old man in a wheelchair speak. “What kind of guarantee will you give us that it doesn’t turn to that?”

“My son, as all of you know; has never once used his powers for bad purposes. I have faith in his ability to aid me in leading Exodus to a peaceful and flourished world. I am speaking as his father, Mr. Yang Hyun-suk, that my son grew up knowing the sacrifices that he has to make for Exodus.” Oh Shin paused, smiling down at all of them. “The mages protect Exodus, that is a fact. If you trust me, you will trust the people I recruit into the Order.”

He glanced over to the man momentarily and suddenly the man nodded, clapping his hands like it was the best idea he has ever heard; everyone clapping along with him. Sehun cleared his throat, bowing down to those who congratulated him along with Suho, Kris, and Lay who had small smiles on their faces. I slipped away, walking into the shadows to see Donghae clapping alongside the rest of them before he was approached by Oh Shin.

The two began to engage in a conversation when suddenly a felt a body jump onto me. I was about to scream when I saw that it was Tao and Xiumin who seemed drunk from the champagne. I laughed, Xiumin asking me to dance with him and I agreed. Before I knew it, I had danced with all the EXO members, gliding on the floor clumsily as they all urged me on. It was stress-free and I quickly forgot my worries when Suho smiled at me.

“You look beautiful,” he complimented and I thanked him. “Dance?”

The dance with Suho was short, but it was filled with my gratefulness for the older male. I thanked him for always being gentle and for always working hard to make EXO succeed. My words must have made an impact because he blushed profusely and couldn’t stop stammering.

“You’re part of us now, Harin,” he said. “This is where you belong.” 

I think I got carried away for a second because for a moment I found myself agreeing with him.

But that isn’t true, because a while after that I realized that my stay was unwelcome.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Kyungsoo's new favorite flower]

The night has deepened and guests began to leave. I had excused myself early, and looking at the clock I realized it was 11 pm in the evening. My feet hurt and I limped all the way back to my bedroom, exhausted. I took a long shower, enjoying the warm water before putting on the silk pajamas and jumping into bed. I laid down, about to fall asleep when someone knocked on the door. I let out a sigh, rubbing my eyes in annoyance when the pace of the knocking increased. Swinging my legs off the bed, I stood up and walked to the door, opening it to see a very excited-looking Kyungsoo.

“Kyungsoo—”

“I found new flower,” he said, pushing past me, a flower in his hand. He plopped his on the bed and turned to me, waiting for me to come over. I locked the door behind him, walking back to the bed to see that in his hand he held a glowing flower.

“What’s that?” I asked tiredly. I wasn’t in the mood to train with him. All I wanted to do was sleep but that didn’t stop Kyungsoo from talking.

“I walk upstairs today. In study room have flower. So I touch and I grow flower.” He lifted the flower that glowed in his hand.

“You shall be my favorite flower,” He whispered to the flower softly, his eyes wide open staring at it greedily and I blinked at him, nodding.

“You mean, you saw a flower in the study room upstairs so you went in and touched it and now you can grow it?” I asked for confirmation and he nodded eagerly.

“Special,” he said. “Try or I tell everyone you kiss Oh Sehun.”

“Kyungsoo!” I gasped, crossing my arms at him. “That’s not very nice of you!”

He didn’t say anything and I sighed, putting my hand over the glowing flower before focusing on the plant. My eyes darkening to black, I placed my hand on the flower to try to draw its essence out when the essence strung to my hands. Pulling it out, the flower stopped glowing, but its leaves remained green and fresh, the colors still vibrant.

“Oh—Kyungsoo, it’s alive!” I gasped, the essence on my hand. I turned to Kyungsoo who covered his eyes with his hands.

“Eyes scary.” He had always hated how I looked when I used my powers and I apologized. I moved my fingers over the flower and pushed back the essence, the flower going back to glowing in the dim light.

“Flower no dieded,” he observed. “Try again.”

This time he made a new flower. It looked like a typical rose and when I tried to do the same thing, pull the essence and push it back; it wilted almost immediately.

“I think the first flower you made was a special flower, Kyungsoo. My powers still make normal flowers die.”

He nodded in agreement when I heard a soft tap. Frowning, I looked over to the door just to hear people whispering to each other. I strained my ears and Kyungsoo heard it too, his back straightening and he looked like a meer cat that was alarmed.

“It’s this room, Minho,” a voice whispered and I recognized it as Taemin. “Look, they put a sign on the door.”

“Quiet. We do this cleanly. Remember that we’re hired, hitmen,” Minho said and my heart dropped. Kyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter