you can call me monster

The Rise of the Mages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Oh Shin was in Siwon’s mansion, the dark curtains drawn. They have just been to a journey to Euren and they were finally back. His eyes hurt from staring at the pages of the book he stole from the City of Libros and there was a lamp right in front of him. He knew what was inside the lamp, but he wasn’t sure if he was ready. His eyes scampered over the contents of the book. It had everything he needed to know; the history of the dark ones, the ones the zodiacs have punished and why, and everything he needed to know to become something greater than he was.

Oh Shun had went back to his study room, his younger brother seemingly frustrated with him, but Oh Shin did not blame him. He just couldn’t stray from the path anymore. Oh Shin stood up, the cackling of the fireplace in the background when he walked to the lamp—his hands stretched out.

He would do it.

He had to.

He lay his hand down on the lamp, the rustic design making it seem antique. It was warm to the touch, a vessel for the soul that the Zodiacs have punished. Oh Shin ran his fingers on the metal; once, twice, thrice. The book said it was how it had to be done, Oh Shin not knowing if it would work but it did. The lamp began to rumble, steam slowly surrounding it and Oh Shin stood back when the lip popped off.

It was him.

It was Jafar.

The genie shot out of the lamp, the clang of the lid sounding across the room as the soul began to form in front of him. It was a genie, but it was simply a soul that could grant wishes. Oh Shin, other than his wishes, wanted to do what people have spoken of but not done before. And before him, floated Jafar, his eyes glowing red with his long hair and evil smile.

Oh Shin loved it.

He radiated anger and frustration, evil and greed. Oh Shin smirked, the genie turning to him.

“Ah, the lucky one,” Jafar said, rubbing his hands together, peering at Oh Shin who didn’t seem very scared of his presence. Most people expected genies to look kind and loving—that was how Aladdin looked like when he was used for his three wishes went back into the lamp again. But Jafar didn’t look anything like that. “What do I owe this pleasure—”

“I make the rules,” Oh Shin began, ignoring the genies talk. “I would tell you to sit, but you can’t.”

“Oooh. A rule maker,” Jafar mused, floating away from the lamp. Being in it for a million years made him hate the way it looked. “I guess we shall talk. Though the rules to wishes do remain the same, one! You can’t make people fall in love with you, you can’t kill anyone, and you can’t bring anyone back from the dead.”

“Huh.” Oh Shin huffed. “Good to know that I can’t do those three things. Now listen here, genie, and do let me talk.”

Oh Shin settled by the chair comfortably. “I need power. Somehow throughout his process, I have lost it and I need it back. My original plan was to go get the rings and merge them into one—but somehow, all magic seems to have gone. I bet it’s my wretched son who found a way to null all magic.”

“A man who does not like to give up. I like it,” Jafar observed and Oh Shin rolled his eyes. “And why, am I here, Master?”

Right. Because Oh Shin was the one who rubbed the lamp, he was now the master. Oh Shin knew he needed something more sustainable. He needed something that would last him a lifetime of fear, something that would make people bow down to him. He was a mage with a title, but he was just a mage nonetheless.

He needed more.

“The book says that if I merge my soul with a genie, I would become a supernatural creature,” Oh Shin began and Jafar smirked, gliding in the air.

“The book is right, Master. But there is always a catch. When you merge your soul with a genie, the genie takes over your body and you share your vessel with the genie.” Jafar began. “But in turn, you will be able to become a creature that can harness more power. You will be a creature of magic and immortality. For that to happen, a ritual must be made and your soul must be bound to a genie.”

“I know of the ritual. Let’s do it now.”

“Tut, tut,” Jafar wagged his finger at Oh Shin. “Let me tell you step. by. step.”

Jafar spoke slowly. “First, you must use your two wishes. Wish for anything you want! But your last wish must be to release me from the lamp. I will be a free genie! Next, I see there is not an ounce of magic in your blood, Master.”

“Something happened. Mages have lost their powers. The deity rings don’t work either,” Oh Shin answered, annoyance settling in his tone of voice.

“How inconvenient,” Jafar crooned. “Well, you will need magic, Master. Any type of magic! Must it be dark, light, mage, elven—You will need magic to bind me to you.”

“And how will I find magic?” Oh Shin asked, irritably. “There is no mage alive that has magic right now. Deity magic doesn’t even work.”

“Oh, there is no mage alive, I’m sure,” Jafar asked back, feigning a thinking pose. “How about one that is dead?”

Oh Shin paused. His eyebrows furrowed, trying to understand the hints that Jafar was telling him when it clicked. When Morgana and Nimueh were captured, Excalibur was stuck into both of them to keep their souls from reincarnating. It was rumored that Excalibur was given to Arthur, who wielded it to stop Morgana and Nimueh who turned bad.

But he didn’t need Excalibur.

“Morgana and Nimueh,” he breathed. Jafar clapped his hands excitedly. “Morgana and Nimueh was put in the bottom of Mystis Lake. Their bodies would still have magic since they were a vessel of dark magic. Excalibur would still be in them and if I take the sword out of them—”

“The sword would release their magic and their souls. And you can use that magic to bind you to me,” Jafar said, snapping his finger. “And of course, the ritual. There is a sliiight problem though.”

“And that is?” Oh Shin raised an eyebrow, Jafar shrugging.

“You have to find a way to remove Excalibur from both of them,” Jafar said to Oh Shin and he frowned. “I can’t remove Excalibur from them—Excalibur is only to be removed by someone who has the title of the savior’s savior. Arthur was one, back in Camelot, or so I’ve heard. Excalibur was divided into three parts, it’s blade that is both in Morgana and Nimueh; and the handle that has gone missing for a very long time.”

“So, you’re saying, I can’t wish for you to remove the sword?” Oh Shin asked, Jafar nodding. “What can you do?”

“I can try to bring the savior’s savior to you instead. I can’t control the living, but my power can manifest an event and the savior’s savior will slowly make their way to you,” Jafar replied, winking. “Ah, it feels good to do something productive. Excalibur can only be removed by the savior’s savior. However, when he does, he won’t be able to wield it. The pieces of Excalibur that is stuck in Morgana and Nimueh has no handle. Which is a good thing… Considering that if you become a supernatural creature, the only way to kill you is with Excalibur.”

Oh Shin tried to wrap his head around everything. “So, my first wish would be to bring Morgana and Nimueh to me, my second wish would be to bring the savior’s savior to me, and the third would be to let you go.”

“Yes,” Jafar replied. “And once you let me go, you shall have to do the ritual. Kill someone who loves you and finally use the magic to bind me to you. Easy enough? Shall I begin? First wish, coming right up?”

Oh Shin nodded. He was eager and he knew that it would work.

Jafar’s eyes flashed red, muttering words to himself as the candles in the room flickered. As the chanting became louder, the room was plunged into sudden darkness and Oh Shin gripped the table when the candles came back on.

And in front of him were two preserved bodies, wet from the water of Mystis Lake. Oh Shin could see the swords embedded on their abdomen and the sword shone but as he came closer to try to touch it, his hand went through. He could see the black mist surrounding the bodies, a signature of a Dark One.

He looked up to see Jafar looking at the bodies when he spoke.

“Time for my second wish. Find a way to bring the savior’s savior to me,” he said and Jafar gave him a small smile.

“As you wish, Master.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I woke up to Sehun’s arm around me and when I turned, he was already awake, deep in thought. His hair fell over his face and he placed a kiss on the nape of my neck as his fingers intertwined in mine. I pressed a hand on his cheek and ask him what was wrong. I knew that look, Sehun sighing in response.

“I don’t know. I just feel like we need to do something. It’s too peaceful,” he told me and I nodded. It was time, but we had no leads. I sat up and told him to freshen up. I wanted to walk around, go around. I missed Exodus a little bit too much. I slid out of bed, doing what I had to do when I walked out of the room to see Jeno patting Jisung on the head.

“Hey, good morning,” I said to Jeno. For the first time, he looked like he had gotten proper sleep and I guessed it was because Jaemin had taken another dose of whatever Guanlin gave him and gave the Dreamweavers some peace. I saw Jisung with his eyes focused on the E-tab, the young Dreamweaver playing a game.

“Hi, Queen Auntie Harin,” he greeted, his eyes still on the screen. “Renjun is getting his paints and parchment today, so I got Wall-E. Look at this, isn’t this cool? It’s called Rock Crush.” He said to me, showing me how it was played.

It was exactly like Candy Crush on Earth, but it was made of rocks. I chuckled before turning to see Renjun exiting the room, with a small bag.

“I had a weird dream last night,” Jisung said suddenly. “There was a lot of mist.”

“It’s because you were playing on the E-Tab the whole night. King Uncle Guanlin told you that the light from the screen has side effects.” Renjun said to Jisung who ignored him.

“Hello, Renjun. Are you going to get your paints?” I asked and he nodded.

“King Uncle Guanlin said that Wall-E is going to die soon,” he told me and I realized that he had named the E-Tab ‘Wall-E’. “I have to go get my things before I throw a tantrum.”

Well, at least he knew what he had to do before throwing a tantrum. I saw Sehun come out of the room we were sleeping at and Jeno waved at him.

“Where are you guys going so early in the morning?” Sehun asked, Jeno telling him that the kids will be going to get Renjun’s things. “Are you going with them?”

“No,” Jeno replied. “Have to take care of Nana. He’s been in and out of it since yesterday… Not that I’m complaining.” He chuckled. “Senior Wooseung, Haechan and Rumpelstiltskin is going.”

“I’m going too.” Jisung piped up. “I need to get my storybook and a couple of clothes. I’ve been wearing the same pants since I ran away from home.”

“Who exactly asked you to run away from home?” Jeno asked, flicking Jisung’s forehead.

“I want to go too then,” I suddenly said. “I mean, I haven’t talked much to Wooseung since I’ve been here. I saw him like once. And besides, I want to go on the water dragons.”

“No one’s stopping you,” Sehun told me. “You don’t have to come up with reasons why you want to go. I’m your fiancé, not your father.”

Ah, . Talking about father, I didn’t tell Seungwoo about our dad yet. I made a mental note to do it when I came back, Wooseung popping from behind a door. He looked fresh and bounded towards us.

“I’m coming too. I want to go on the water dragons,” I told him and he laughed, nodding. “I guess we’ll have to go and find the rest. Renjun, Jisung, Haechan and Uncle Rumpelstiltskin, right?”

I was so excited to go on the dragons. I know I did it yesterday, but I was excited to see the Dreamweaver’s fortress too. I missed Exodus a little bit too much. I heard Jeno engage in a conversation with Sehun when I heard Haechan’s voice ring out, the younger mage walking towards us.

“Uncle Rumpel, you’re squeezing me!” he said and I saw that the dark leprechaun was hugging Haechan tightly. His frame was small, Haechan able to lift him off with one leg. Uncle Rumpel looked tired and I didn’t want to ask. Maybe he just couldn’t sleep.

“Should we go now?” Wooseung asked, placing a hand on Haechan’s shoulders as Renjun and Jisung nodded. Jisung hugged the E-Tab to his chest and I stood on tiptoe to kiss Sehun on the lips. He pressed his lips on my forehead again and told me to come back quickly because he already missed me and I saw Wooseung throw him a look.

“Alriiiight,” I said, pulling Wooseung away from Sehun as Haechan chuckled. “Let’s go, let’s go. On the water dragons, we go!”

“I get to finally change out of my pants,” Jisung mumbled as we walked out to go on the water dragons to go to the dream fortress. Wooseung slipped a hand in mine, swinging my hand back and forth.

“I had a dream last night,” he told me and I raised an eyebrow instead of asking him what it was because I knew he would tell me anyway. “I dreamt that I was riding on a water dragon and right when I woke up, I heard Renjun tell Jeno that he had to go get his paints. And I suddenly had a feeling… A feeling like… I should go. I don’t know. I guess I’m talking a lot because I missed you.”

I laughed, squeezing his hand as we went on the water dragon, soaring into the sky.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As we reached the Dreamweaver fortress, we landed on the ground. Behind us was a forest of thorns and in front of us was a big fortress. I didn’t know they had such a big place to stay. Is that why Jeno is always complaining about money? How did he get the fortress anyway?

“Wow, such a big place,” Wooseung said and I realized that it was his first time here too. I saw Haechan and Uncle Rumpel get off the water dragon, and walking towards the fortress as if they had been there a million times.

“The fortress belongs to Chenle’s grandfather. He sends Jeno money every month for Chenle’s food and allowance but it only covers his part. The fortress maintenance, food for all of us, Jeno pays. Chenle keeps saying he’ll pay Jeno back one day when he gets his inheritance once he reaches 18,” Renjun said. “Jisung, you go get your clothes. I’ll be in the drawing room with Haechan.”

Jisung nodded. We walked into the fortress and I caught a glimpse of the garden. It was so beautiful and well kept. The place was also spotlessly clean. As I walked in, I saw Renjun and Haechan disappear into the drawing-room as Jisung motioned me, Wooseung, and Rumpelstiltskin to follow him up to his room.

I climbed the stairs, the red curtains draping over the windows as sunlight shone into the fortress. There was a photo of an old man by the staircase and I guessed that it was Chenle’s grandfather. As we climbed the stairs, I could hear Jisung sniff the air.

Wooseung did the same, all three of us walking to Jisung’s room when he stopped. There was grey mist slowly filling the house. It was rapid and we didn’t know where it was coming from.

“Did someone burn candles?” Wooseung asked and we looked down to see Haechan and Renjun come out of the drawing-room. Renjun frowned and I saw him yawn when Haechan yelled from where he was at.

“Senior—Behind you!”

There was a sudden gush and Jisung turned around, the E-tab in his arms when we saw people heading towards us. They had a bubble on their heads and as they came closer, I recognized the face.

Siwon and Leeteuk.

I felt Wooseung grab me to shield me from them but none of us had powers and before I knew it, I heard a thud. Renjun and Haechan were on the floor as the mist entered my nostrils.

“They burned nightsbane!” Jisung yelped and I felt my eyes turn heavy. “Try not to breathe—”

But it was to no avail and I was already halfway to falling asleep, my body hitting the floor, my brother following me.

That was then everything turned into black.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I woke up in a place I did not recognize. I heard yelling and my head spun as I sat up slowly to see Wooseung chained beside me. We were in a study I could make out a soft glow from two bodies in front of me, a person walking back and forth as he stood in front of us. At the side, I could make out Rumpelstiltskin beside Wooseung, his frail arms tide up.

“I asked for the savior’s savior and you brought me so much more,” the voice said and my stomach dropped.

It was a voice I dreaded. A voice I didn’t hear for a while. I searched for Jisung and when I saw him, he was crying. A man stood behind him, a sword held to his neck. I grit my teeth, looking up at Oh Shin. He smiled at me.

“What do you want?” I asked. I was no longer afraid, but angry. My fists shook against the chains and I knew I wanted to punch him. What did he have in mind? Why did he kidnap us? “Why are you holding us hostage?”

Wooseung stirred from beside me and suddenly jolted up as his realization seeped him. He wasn’t as calm as I was, my brother, scrambling against the chains as he tried to attack Oh Shin. The chains held his back and he fought against it like a bull.

“You imbecile!” Wooseung seethed and Oh Shin laughed. None of us had our powers. None of us could fight. They had the upper hand. I grabbed Wooseung and could feel his rapid breathing, my brother glowering at the man before him. “Let us go!”

“Oh, I will, young one,” Oh Shin mused. “After I do a few things. One of it is to eliminate your sister, and another is to eliminate you. But after you do something for me, of course. You see, I always thought that the savior was somewhat special—but I do not need her anymore.”

I pulled Wooseung back, all of us listening to Oh Shin. He paced around the room in front of us.

“Apparently, the only person to be able to pull out Excalibur’s sword would be you—the savior’s savior. A sword given to Arthur to capture Morgana and Nimueh’s body and soul in Mystis Lake,” Oh Shin mused. “So you will do just that—and when you do, I will be able to use the magic that was trapped in their bodies as a way to bind my soul with Jafar.”

Jafar? Right as he said, a mist of glowing red eyes appeared from behind Oh Shin and I could make out a person’s form. That was what he was about to do. He wanted to sell his soul to the genie, let the genie take over his body and then would become a supernatural creature. I recall Ophiuchus talking about it and I grabbed Wooseung.

If he did turn into one, we were all dead.

“And what makes you think I will do that?” Wooseung asked back when a screech sounded. He had forgotten about Jisung—the young Dreamweaver trembling in fear. Siwon had lowered the sword against his neck and it threatened to cut through his skin. I knew Wooseung had no choice, none of us had any choice.

“If you do it, and it works; he’ll become something much more than a normal human,” Rumpelstiltskin whispered and Wooseung turned to look at the leprechaun. “If you do it, he’s going to become something so powerful, you won’t be able to kill him with simple mage magic.”

“Ahah! Finally, someone who gets it. But what would it be, child? The killing of this young boy right here, or abiding to my rules and helping me become the first of my kind?”

“You’ll kill us anyway,” Wooseung told him. “You’ll kill us anyway even if I pull it out!”

“That’s true,” Oh Shin mused. “It’s a matter of time. I see that you won’t do it—Kill the boy—”

“Get away from me!” Jisung yelled and I grabbed Wooseung’s arm frantically.

“STOP! He’ll do it. He’ll do it!” I was going to have a panic attack. I saw Siwon’s sword pause halfway and I shook Wooseung’s arm. He was torn, the male cared about the young Dreamweaver very much but there was more at stake if he pulled out the sword.

I could see Jisung crying at the corner, calling out Nana’s name. The kid was scared less and Wooseung let out a breath.

“I have no choice, don’t I?” he asked me and I nodded. “Harin, if I do it and he turns into something more powerful, we’re dead anyway.”

“We can’t let them kill Jisung,” I pressed. “Do it and we’ll try to find a way out. Maybe he’ll get distracted and—”

“We’re chained, Harin,” Wooseung told me when Oh Shin cleared his throat. He seemed irritated that we were taking our time when Wooseung nodded. We had no choice, Woose

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter