2020

The Rise of the Mages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N Please read it all the way through, don't be too confused. I didn't mispell Oh Shun. Also, the pandemic is horrifying. PLEASE WEAR YOUR MASKS THANK YOU!

I was sad, mad, and frustrated. But most importantly, I was furious. I felt a certain type of anger I have never felt before and I hated it. It settled at the pit of my stomach and I found myself slamming my fist against the wall over and over again as the TV blared in the background. Baekhyun was on the couch with his eyes on the screen but I knew he wasn’t actually watching it, tears running down his cheeks silently. I desperately wanted to do something but I had no idea what when I sniffled and sat back onto the couch.

“I can still understand Korean,” Baekhyun told me softly, blinking slowly. “Senior Heechul’s spell is still working.”

I blinked and realized it had been just four to five months ago since Baekhyun has come to Earth and I knew it was a defense mechanism to say things to keep his mind off Chanyeol. I felt my anxiety rise and I prayed that the feeling would go away but it didn’t.

“How do you think they’re doing?” I asked Baekhyun who didn’t look at me. I was afraid that he would hate me but he sighed, leaning back against the couch and laying his head on my shoulder. “Why did you help me, Baek?”

“I couldn’t let you die,” Baekhyun replied and my heart dropped. I sniffled and another session of waterworks came as I sat there with Baekhyun, the sun slowly setting. I had no idea what to do since it has been a few hours and I desperately wanted to sleep to take the pain away as time passed so I settled for the next best thing—

Soju.

Oh, I sat with Baekhyun, our shot glasses clinking against each other while we downed bottles and bottles of soju. I filled it up, no break in between as I began to talk sloppily. I was angry! Sadness? Sadness hit different—I was angry and frustrated.

Baekhyun sat with me, hyping me up, and before I knew it; we were standing up while screaming our hearts out.

“I hate him! I hate him! I hate him!” I yelled and Baekhyun cheered in between as he filled the shot glass to the brim. “ Oh Shin!”

“Oh… I wouldn’t,” Baekhyun answered, making a face. I stared at the darts that were on the wall. It was Seungwoo’s but then again, he would never see it again. The world spun and Baekhyun tried to stand up but he toppled onto the ground at the amount of soju we had drunk on an empty stomach and rolled onto the floor.

I was already scribbling “Oh Shin” on a piece of paper and pinning it up against the wall, Baekhyun blinking at me. I was going to throw darts on his name!

I growled and Baekhyun tried to stand up, yipping at how it looked fun. I pinned the name up against the wall and before I knew it, we were throwing the darts against the wall over and over again.

The last thing I remember was that Baekhyun had to crawl to the bathroom to puke while I flopped down onto the couch and passed out from exhaustion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up to the sound of Baekhyun rasping for water and I stood up to get it for him, my head still spinning. Hours had passed and my head hurt as a little and Baekhyun threw himself onto the couch, unable to move when he looked up at the paper I had pinned up at the dart board against the wall.

“You spelled his name wrong,” Baekhyun said weakly and I turned to see that I wrote “Oh Shin”.

It had several darts on it and I nodded, plopping beside him to charge my phone. We needed food. I saw a bunch of messages from my friends but I didn’t even bother looking at them as I began to order chicken. When I looked up, I saw the name and shuddered.

“Right. I was drunk last night. It’s supposed to be “Oh Shun”,” I told Baekhyun, sighing. But as I said it, something didn’t feel right. “Why are we here again?”

I asked the question to myself, feeling lost but Baekhyun answered it anyway.

“Because Oh Shun, Sehun’s uncle had controlled The League and tried to go to Earth so we had to break down the portal,” Baekhyun replied and I nodded. “Right?”

“Why do you sound so unsure? Of course, it’s Sehun’s uncle. I keep forgetting Sehun has no father,” I replied, rubbing my head from the hangover. We decided to eat in silence when the food came and right after we ate, we sat on the couch—our body begging to fall asleep.

It didn’t take long until I listened to my body and fell asleep again.

“Ong Harin—” Sehun’s voice floated to my ears and when I looked around, I realized that I was in a plain of fields just like how it was when Jisung came to visit me in my dream. I saw Sehun stand in front of me with Chenle beside him—Could it be? Or was I just dreaming. “Ong Harin, I miss you.”

I ran towards him, thinking that life was so unfair as I lept into his arms and he felt so real. I buried my face on his chest and his arms tightened around me as he kept muttering under his breath.

“You stupid girl,” he whispered, kissing the top of my head. Chenle looked over at me with a small smile before fading into the background to give us some privacy.

“Am I dreaming? Are you really—” I began and he smiled down to me, the eyebags under his eyes so prominent.

“It’s me. The war has ended a few hours ago. We have killed The League and my uncle ran away. The dragons flew away because when we killed The League, the dragons then began to listen to Chanyeol. Your brother, Wooseung, also somehow suffocated a lot of those on the other side with his black mist when he saw the portal break and with you inside it. We all thought you were dead for a while until my fists hurt and I realized that I could still feel a little bit of your pain,” Sehun told me, holding my hand. “I can’t believe you broke the portal. I need to find a way to make you come back.”

“If The League is dead and your uncle is gone, does that mean there is no more threat in Exodus?” I asked Sehun who nodded softly.

“My uncle has no people on his side anymore, other than Senior Siwon and Leeteuk,” he told me. “But we can never be sure so we need to lay low for a while. Just to be safe. Sana is also still asleep. We’re now in the Elven ruins, a place above the Pearl Caves where Jaehyun, Tao, and Mark went to get the water dragons. Tao was the one who recommended us to come here since he believes it’s better to go to a new place—one where there is shelter. It’s been abandoned so we’re safe and it accomodates almost everyone.”

I didn’t want to hear about the war but I was happy he was safe, just hugging him close because I didn’t want him to go. I kept silent, Sehun patting my head.

“I’m at the Dreamweavers, right now. Rumpelstiltskin brought me here with Haechan and Chanyeol. I just had to find a way to contact you,” Sehun told me and I mumbled how much I wanted to be with him. “I’ll find a way to get you back here, Harin. Don’t worry.”

His voice was filled with determination and I let out a sigh, nodding when he began to fade. Suddenly, he wasn’t solid anymore and I clawed the air to get him to stay with me when he said that the dream potion was wearing off. That he had to drink the dream potion to sleep and dream while the dreamweavers would guide them through the realm to see me.

“Don’t go—” I found myself saying and even Sehun looked pained to leave. “Get more. Stay with—”

“I’ll visit in two days when the Dreamweavers concoct more of it. Around the same time. I miss you and I promise I’ll be back.” Sehun spoke fast and before I knew it, he had disappeared and I was left in a field of flowers with nothing but the sound of the empty wind.

All I wanted to do was make the two days pass by so I can see Sehun again, even if it was just in my dreams.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Back in EXODUS, Elven Ruins]

Wooseung woke up with a headache. He had fallen asleep right after the war since he had overused his powers. All he remembered was that Harin was in the portal and Sehun was telling him that Harin was still alive. Wooseung sat up, his head pounding as he gripped his skull. The Elven ruins were filled with people, but for some reason, it also looked a bit fixed up. Then again, Wooseung expected homeless people to come and stay in the ruins since it was abandoned.

“, Oh Shin,” Wooseung cursed loudly, everyone jumping up at the sound of his voice as he laid a hand on his forehead. “ that bugger.”

“You mean, Oh Shun,” Seungwoo said from beside him and Wooseung looked at Seungwoo, confused. Was the guy hit by the blast of the portal so hard he had confused the two brothers?

“No, I mean; Oh Shin. Sehun’s father. The one who started this all and now Harin is back on Earth while we are stuck here,” Wooseung argued and Seungwoo tilted his head at Wooseung, quizzingly before leaning forward to flick his forehead. Sehun was just a few feet away from him, and Wooseung knew he had gone somewhere because he was still in his coat.

“There is no Oh Shin. Sehun was brought up by his uncle,” Seungwoo corrected and Wooseung shook his head. He wasn’t in the mood for games.

“You’re joking, right?” Wooseung asked and Seungwoo raised an eyebrow when Sehun had come towards him, his face grim.

“I just talked to Harin when I visited the Dreamweavers. It was good that she was asleep then so we visited her in her dreams,” Sehun had said, but Wooseung was more interested in what Seungwoo had said. “She’s fine—”

“Oh Sehun, your bloody evil father was the cause of this,” Wooseung wagged a finger towards Sehun, his eyes still on Seungwoo. “Now, Seungwoo has gone nuts and is telling me that it’s Oh Shun! Oh Shin is your father!”

“I have no father,” Sehun answered, his eyebrows furrowing. He raised a hand and before Wooseung knew it, Lay had run over, looking exhausted. “I was raised by my Uncle, Oh Shun.”

“What? Yes, you do! Your father charms people and Oh Shun charms items. Your father was the one who put the Gemini ring on Harin and she killed you!” Wooseung exclaimed, bewildered when Sehun looked at him like he was crazy. Lay laid a hand on Wooseung’s forehead before telling Sehun that maybe it was after the shock of the war and Wooseung yelled out.

“I’m not crazy!” He looked around to see Jaehyun staring at him. “It’s Oh Shin!”

Jaehyun didn’t say anything and Wooseung saw his hand tighten around Johnny’s hand. Johnny and Lucas weren’t awake yet, both of them being the closest to Taeyong when he obliterated while breaking the portal. The blast must have hit them hard, both Keepers dead asleep.

“No, Wooseung. That was my Uncle. I know you’re devastated that Harin isn’t here with us but I promise I’ll find a way to bring her back. There is no need to act up.” Sehun’s response was close to making Wooseung go crazy.

“Are you ing kidding me—” He was about to explode into a fit when a hand came from behind, shooing Lay and Sehun away. Sehun and Lay gave the man behind him one look, Seungwoo looking worried, as Wooseung was then dragged off to an isolated space.

“Wooseung,” the time mage said, his eyes fixed on Wooseung as Wooseung tried to brush him off and go back to talk to Sehun. “Wooseung, listen.”

“Why is everyone saying there isn’t an Oh Shin? Oh Shin was the only person who tried to kill us all this time and suddenly he doesn’t exist?!” Wooseung fired up, Tao raising both hands to calm him down.

“Listen.” Tao’s voice came out, demanding his attention when Wooseung paused. “I believe you, but acting like this will not help us—”

“I’m not crazy! You don’t have to pretend to believe me!” Wooseung yelled at Tao who crossed his arms across his chest calmly. “Let me talk to those bastards—”

“Wooseung,” Tao began again and this time Wooseung felt the change of his demeanor. “There is only one explanation for this.”

“What? That I was too close to Taeyong when he exploded?” Wooseung asked back, snarkily when Tao simply replied.

“That Oh Shin had used the Scorpio ring.”

“What?” Wooseung found himself turning to Tao who was unbelievably calm. This meant Tao actually did believe him. “What does that mean?”

“The Gemini ring, The Scorpio ring, The Aries ring, and The Virgo ring was under Euren,” Tao told Wooseung. “He had used the Gemini ring before. My guess was that The League had the other rings and now that they are dead from the war, Oh Shin got his hands on the rings. He had used the Scorpio ring to make everyone forget about his existence and now everyone’s memories are distorted. It’s like he has never existed.”

“And this ring…” Wooseung paused, unable to form a coherant question. “I mean… It’s deity magic so everyone would have forgotten about him? How am I--?”

“Because your soul is made out of Dark Magic. My guess is that Harin has also forgotten about Oh Shin.”

“Wouldn’t that mean Uncle Rumpelstiltskin and Jaehyun would not have forgotten about him too?” Wooseung asked, knowing that Jaehyun was the counterpart of Light Magic in the ritual of his making. “How are you not affected?”

Tao was a mage but he remembered Oh Shin and Wooseung squinted at him.

“Because I’m the time mage,” Tao replied, sighing. “My essence is time. Anyway, that’s not the focus right now. We should be more worried because Oh Shin might be planning something behind all this but we won’t have an army because everyone doesn’t remember him.”

Tao’s response seemed to make sense but what he said was true. Wooseung pressed his lips together. Oh Shin was the most dangerous now that no one remembered him. It was like he had controlled the narration in everyone’s head.

“I’m going to ask Jaehyun,” Wooseung suddenly said, knowing that Jaehyun was probably not at all affected by the ring. He had seen Jaehyun about to walk past them to the fountains and before he was about to run towards Jaehyun, his normal impulsive self, Tao grabbed his arm.

“Don’t be violent. If you want to do something impulsive count to three—”

But Wooseung wasn’t having any of that , wretching himself away from Tao’s grasp.

“1… 2….” Wooseung counted in his head. “3!”

Wooseung grabbed Jaehyun, smacking him across the chest when Jaehyun turned around to look at him… terrified. He glowered at Jaehyun, frowning when he spoke.

“What the ?” Jaehyun asked Wooseung who gripped his shoulder, searching his eyes.

“Talk, boy!” Wooseung bellowed to Jaehyun who blinked. In the background, Tao had buried his head in his hands. Wooseung was too impulsive for his own good. “I know you know!”

“I know what?” Jaehyun asked back. “Maybe we should talk—”

“I know you know that I know! Oh Shin, oh ! Oh Shun, my !” Wooseung yelled at Jaehyun again and Jaehyun jumped as Wooseung’s voice echoed throughout the elven ruins when suddenly Jaehyun’s eyes widened. A shadow was cast over Wooseung and before he knew it, he was sent flying to the side.

“Yooooo! What are you doing to Jaehyun?” Johnny’s voice thundered and Wooseung found himself rubbing his bottom. Johnny had smacked him to the floor and Johnny glared at him. “I have awakened!”

Good. Great. Johnny was now awake, Wooseung thought as he tried to stand up. He watched Jaehyun hug Johnny who hugged him back.

“Look, I really need to talk to Jaehyun,” Wooseung said, trying to limp towards Jaehyun when Johnny stepped in front of his master. He crossed his arms across his chest and he stared at Wooseung, blocking Jaehyun protectively.

“Not after was I saw!” Johnny told Wooseung, staring at him. Don’t get Wooseung wrong. He wasn’t afraid of Johnny, per say. He was afraid of Johnny’s strength. Johnny had just sent him flying against a wall and onto the floor after he woke up from a coma, how much more if Johnny was healthy?

“Please, Johnny. I really need to talk to Jae—”

“Not my problem!” Johnny replied to Wooseung, grabbing Jaehyun by the shoulder to push him towards the dining room of the Elven ruins. Wooseung watched them as Johnny limped away, with Jaehyun in front of him when he turned to see Tao striding towards him, his lips moving.

“1…” Tao was counting.

“2…” Tao’s voice neared as he came nearer to Wooseung.

“3.” Tao’s voice stopped at three and before he knew it, Wooseung felt Tao’s arm against his shoulder, smacking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter