Chapter 8

The Cursed Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To say that Mina’s night was sleepless is an understatement. She tossed and turned until she faced Chaeyoung’s sleeping figure. Flashback of that night hit her. She remembers it like the back of her hand. Chaeyoung’s shocked expression, worried eyes, and how he looked at the knife and his bloody hand. She hates how her hatred faded and how her feelings softened in the short term. She sighed before she faced the other way and finally drifted to deep sleep.

 

Meanwhile, Bobby was standing in front of Sooae in one of Seoul’s dark alleys. His hands were in his pockets as she leaned on the car “so? What do you think?”

 

“So you want me to assassinate Kitano… Your husband” he concluded.

 

“Yes” she smiled “and I will give you whatever you want, in exchange for the video of course”

 

Bobby hummed and dozed off “I will think about it and call you back,” he said before he left. Sooae watched him walk away and with a smirk “you will follow him immediately young man” she said.

 

Morning

 

After doing her short morning routine, Mina was bidding goodbye to Eunjung and thanking her for last night.

 

“I will accompany you to your car,” Chaeyoung said, opening the front door for her.

 

Awkwardness filled the air as they walked to Mina’s car. The latter opened the door while Chaeyoung stood behind her. It was hard to look into her eyes after last night’s moment.

 

“I-” Chaeyoung was cut off by a guy who passed behind him. His eyes didn’t leave Mina nor her car.

 

“Girrrrrl!!!! If you let me in, I’d OWN that car and that puss!”

 

Mina was shocked by what she just heard but Chaeyoung’s reaction made her stunned. He kicked the guy’s back making him fall on the ground before he pinned him to the nearest wall “I swear if I wasn’t afraid of going to jail again I would cut your and feed it to you like a hot dog sandwich” he kneed his groin making the guy squirm on the ground “” Chaeyoung spat on him before he walked back to Mina.

 

“Drive safely” he smiled at her as if nothing happened “and lock the doors” he added.

 

Mina nodded obediently as she sat down and put on her seatbelt.

 

“You should’ve ignored him. We, girls, are used to this”

 

“Men like him should rot underground” he tapped the car’s roof “go, you must be late to work”

 

Her eyes were focused on Chaeyoung through the mirror as she drove off.

 

“Damn it” he repeated as he walked back to his house.

 

“Stupid Mina” the latter hit the steering wheel multiple times while remembering last night’s kiss. She ruffled her hair while stopping the car by the red light.

 

She looked at the door's lock button and remembered how protective Chaeyoung was. He is nothing like Jimin. She can’t forget the time when a guy was staring at her in a restaurant and Jimin didn’t want to leave because he was enjoying his meal. Mina hated herself that night because of that guy’s lustful stares. Unlike now she felt satisfied and safe.

 

“He is so different” she soft-spoken before she drove off to the company.

 

A few days passed…

 

Chaeyoung was more than happy that he got a chance to start a new life with a new job. He is smart and a fast learner. It made his boss impressed that he had to thank Mina for suggesting hiring Chaeyoung. Even though Chaeyoung is a drafter and has a long hard way in front of him, he was grateful that he has a job with a weekly salary. And today he got paid for the first time in more than five years. He looked at the money inside the white envelope as he left his boss’s office.

 

Chaeyoung needed some time alone, he bought two sandwiches and he went to the pier where he once met Mina. He slowly walked down the boardwalk and enjoyed the sunny weather.

 

A smile flashed on his face when he saw Mina sitting on a bench wearing that beige coat he loves, she was sitting elegantly and calmly as if she was in a meeting with some politician. Her gaze was focused on the ocean before she closed her eyes, the wind blew through her hair. It felt like she was filming a commercial and Chaeyoung swore he forgot how to breathe.

 

After a few seconds, Chaeyoung collected himself before he sat next to her and cleared his throat.

 

“Chae~?” she soft-spoken “what are you doing here?”

 

“I love this place. I come here alone always and I wanted to watch the sunset while having lunch” he said offering her a sandwich “do you want to join me?” he smiled.

 

“No thank you” Mina put a strand of hair behind her ear as she kept staring at the sea and Chaeyoung swiftly “so you are happy with your new work, you boss called me”

 

“He did?” Chaeyoung gasped with a mouthful of the sandwich making Mina chuckle at his messy behavior.

 

“Yeah he is so proud of you and happy that he hired you”

 

Chaeyoung had a hard time swallowing and start coughing “ok this made me nervous”

 

“No please don’t be, I know this job will take you to better places. Keep working hard you can do it” she cheered him up while patting his back.

 

Mina swore she almost melted from Chaeyoung’s soft stares, she looked back at the sea but nothing is more important than Chaeyoung’s eyes. She looked back into them and the two laughed shyly. He cleared his throat and offered his hand for a handshake “let’s start a new page together, shall we? Forgetting everything that happened in the past, hm?”

 

Mina nodded and shook hands with him before they continued chatting and joking around.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter