Chapter 3

The Cursed Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina parked her car in front of her father’s mansion, biting her lower lips as she pushed down on her wound. She hadn’t realized how much it stung since she left the prison, the anticipation to see Chaeyoung blocked it out. Their meeting was fruitless, she was still stuck on the puzzle. She headed upstairs, each step heavy with disappointment. Until her father’s voice brought her to stop.

 

“Why didn’t you answer your phone, sweetie?” Kitano approached her, cupping her face. “We were so worried about you.” Mina smiled warmly at her father. No matter how awful the situation was, she always felt comfortable just hearing his soft voice.

 

“Where have you been?” Jimin took Mina’s hand into his. As their eyes met, Mina furrowed her eyebrows. She didn’t know why he would lie to the detective about the call. “Baby?” He caressed her cheek with his thumb before Mina pulled away. She didn’t want to face him just yet. She hates facing people if she doesn’t know what to say, she’s always careful with her words. “I’m fine.” She assured, faking a smile.

 

“Mina, I think you need to rest,” Sooae joined Kitano’s side. “But where have you been?” She added curiously. Mina sighed and walked to her room. “I visited the guy that stabbed me.”

 

“What!?” They yelled in unison. “Are you crazy? What if he tried hurting you again?” Jimin raged. “You’ve lost your mind, Mina.” The latter glared at her fiance as she entered the bedroom.

 

“Why, my daughter? Why did you go there?” Kitano asked softly, standing outside the bed frame. “Can we talk about it later? I’m tired.” Mina said faintly. Just when she was about to close the bedroom door, Jimin set his foot between. “No, you and I will talk right now!”

 

“No, we will talk right now!” he insisted “I am just worried about you, Mina” 

 

Mina pinched the bridge of her nose, she never heard that tone come from Jimin. She was already frustrated with his lies. “And I’m sleepy. So leave!” She pushed his foot out and closed the door in his face. Jimin turned around to face Kitano, who was worried about her well-being. He rubbed his face and grunted as he left the mansion.

 

~~

 

A few days passed…


 

Locking herself in her bedroom to be alone with her thoughts was the only thing Mina did until she received a call from Jeongyeon. It was finally time to press charges and sue Chaeyoung, but she still wanted to stand by her offer. She hasn’t faced either Jimin or her father, she knows both would come with her and she was spotted outside her room. She needed to handle this alone.

 

“Welcome ma’am, please have a seat.” Jeongyeon greeted her as she sat in front of him. Classy and elegant vibes radiated from Mina, her perfect posture and fierce eyes to the way she dressed. It could be quite intimidating at times, but it was her weapon. Everyone knows who Myoui Mina is. The woman comes from a family of power and money. They knew they had to respect her in every way. “Would you like anything to drink?” 


 

“A cup of tea will be fine.” Mina smiled. “So, the reason I’m here is to press chargers, right?” She leaned on the palm of her hands. “I didn’t have to thank you for sending me the files.”

 

Jeongyeon sheepish smiled as he typed on the laptop. “Actually, we have new footage.” He turned the laptop to her. “Your neighbors recently came back from vacation. We contacted them and took this security camera footage.”

 

Finally, Mina has a clear view of the car accident. She flinched as the car hit into the light pole. “Who’s that?” She asked, pointing at Jiwon leaving the scene. “Kim Jiwon, Chaeyoung’s partner. Apparently, he ran away and left Chaeyoung in the car.”

 

Mina sat back into her seat, crossing her legs. “I know for a fact that they stole everything from the safe. Do you know by chance if there was anything with Chaeyoung in the car?” Jeongyeon shook his head. “No, he confessed as soon as he woke up in the hospital. From what I remember, he asked if you were okay. I can tell he felt guilty.”

 

“Didn’t he almost beat his father to death?” She scoffed. “Why would he feel guilty for stabbing me.”

 

“Ma’am, I’m close to Chaeyoung. Four years ago I was the investigator for his case, Chaeyoung had a reason for his crime. His father was always abusive to him and his mother, they suffered a lot. After seeing his mother serving his father and friends, he lost control. I can’t deny that I treated him differently after the case was closed.”  Jeongyeon sighed, casting his eyes down to his desk. “From my experience, not everyone who committed a crime is a criminal. You know some are forced to.”

 

“Chayeoung is an only child right?” 

 

“Chaeyoung is an only child, right?” Jeongyeon nodded. “The owner of their house wants it back. His parents will be homeless and Chaeyoung is going to be sentenced ten or more years. I don’t know what will happen to his parents, but I will make sure to help his mother.” He stopped himself. “I’m sorry, I’m rambling now.”

 

“That night, Jimin, my fiance was there too, but I wasn’t able to see him. Do you know what he was doing there?”

 

Jeongyeon pursed his lips, frowning, he hasn’t given much thought about Jimin’s presence. “The paramedic said that he called them and was upstairs when he found you. That’s all I know.”

 

“What about Jiwon?” Mina asked again. “Where is he? It has been more than a week now.”

 

“We are still searching for him, but we’re failing. He was the leader and the one who pushed Chaeyoung to commit the robbery. It’s not my place to say this, but I met many criminals and psychopaths, Chaeyoung is neither. He just made a big mistake.” Sadness was obvious in Jeongyeon’s tone. Mine rewatched the video more than three times, observing every detail. She doesn’t know why she believes that he was the one who called the ambulance and not Jimin. 

 

Mina read the reports, again and again, she had Chaeyoung’s information memorized by heart. Jeongyeon handed her some papers and a blue pen. “You need to sign here before the court session takes place. You’re a lawyer, I guess I don’t need to explain this to you.” He chuckle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter