Chapter 13

The Cursed Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul’s hospital

Chaeyoung and Mina arrive in no time, they rush to Jeongyeon who was talking on the phone in the emergency room. He hung up and hugged Chaeyoung “how is his condition?” he asked while taking his breath after running from the parking to the hospital entrance.

Jeongyeon lowered his head and Chaeyoung’s eyes met his mother’s who was leaning on the wall crying silently “Chaeyoung” she sobbed as she hugged her son “he is gone” she said.

Chaeyoung froze, even though his relationship with his father wasn’t that good but he always secretly cared for him. He always helped his mother in the house chores, bathing his father, and buying medicines for him.

“How?” he asked faintly. Mina, on the other hand, couldn’t stop crying as she remembered her father’s death.

“The doctor said he had kidney and liver failure due to alcohol. He never wanted to treat it and even Eunjung couldn’t convince him”

Chaeyoung felt numb, he couldn’t think straight nor feel anything. He was in shock.

Despite everything, Eunjung loved her husband. Even though he hurt her really badly in the past but she never regretted marrying him or having Chaeyoung. They are her everything.

Mina drove them to their house after they finished the paper works. Not to forget to mention that she paid for the hospital and funeral bills. Chaeyoung was too shocked to argue with her.

Eunjung fell asleep after taking a sleeping pill while Chaeyoung laid next to Mina on his bed, she played with his hair as he slowly fell asleep.

~~

Next day

Chaeyoung was wearing a nice black suit, he was sitting on the bed after a long day at the cemetery. Many people came to the funeral and it made him glad that his father was actually loved by people.

“Please eat Chae~” Mina begged as she handed him a sandwich.

“I am not hungry” he frowned while staring at his father’s picture, regrets filled him as he remembered what he has done to him a few years ago.

“Please, you didn’t eat anything since yesterday” she smiled “please”

Chaeyoung caressed her back and side hugged her, she stayed with him all the time and helped him stay strong.

A few knocks on the door brought the two back to reality. Eunjung smiled at Mina as she walked closer, she handed Chaeyoung a wooden box “I guess you need to see this”

Chaeyoung opened the box and his lips parted. He held a stack of papers that had all his drawings, his old trophy, and a stuffed doll.

“Mom? What are those?” he asked in a brittle voice. His hand started to shake, as he held each item in the box.

“He kept them” Eunjung replied “he never threw them away. I didn’t know about it” she cupped Chaeyoung’s face and made him look at her “he always loved you and I was sure about it”

She wiped his tears with her thumbs “I love you so much, and I know he forgave you”

Chaeyoung nodded “please can I stay alone?”  

Mina kissed his head as she accompanied Eunjung to the living room leaving Chaeyoung who collapsed on the floor while hugging the box and crying his heart out.

~~

A few days passed…

Chaeyoung took one week off from work, he couldn’t focus nor do anything. All he thinks about is regrets toward his father. He woke up around noon and kissed his mother who was busy cooking lunch in the kitchen.

A smile formed on his lips when he saw Mina calling him.

“How is my baby today?”

Chaeyoung smiled as he sat on the couch “upon hearing your voice, I am feeling better”

Mina chuckled “I will come over after I finish my meetings, okay?”

Chaeyoung hummed before he hung up and stared at his father’s wheelchair that he didn’t get rid of it yet.

The doorbell rang bringing him back to reality “is this Mina?” his mother asked excitedly. She won’t lie that she sincerely loves Mina. Chaeyoung laughed and headed to the door “No mom, Mina will come later”

He opened the door just to see a short man wearing a black suit and a white cowboy hat. The guy wasn’t skinny either, Chaeyoung saw a luxurious car behind him along with a driver standing next to it.

“How can I help you?”

“Are you Son Chaeyoung?”

The latter nodded, he stepped back when the older man bowed deeply “sharing in your sadness as you remember Jungho”

“Thank you,” Chaeyoung said confusingly “and you are?”

“Son Minsik, Jungho’s brother and your uncle”

Chaeyoung’s lips parted the same as his mom who was standing behind him.

 

Minsik entered the house, he looked around with sad eyes. Feeling bad at how his brother used to live. He Smiled at Chaeyoung when their eyes met “I am sorry that I found you too late”

“And I am sorry that I don’t know you, my father never mentioned you”

“He did” Eunjung added, “to me not to you” she caressed her son’s back.

“Our parents split apart when I was ten and he was only five years old. My father took him and left while I stayed with my mom, soon she moved to another province. When I grew up, I tried to look for my brother but I couldn’t find anything about him” he muted a bit “we worked hard and saved money. I am now a retired architect and a designer since I loved drawing since I was young and now, I am married and I have three men too” he smiled “and you will by my fourth son”

“That’s why my father kept my drawings because they reminded him of my uncle?”

Chaeyoung connected the dots and Eunjung nodded, she got teary-eyed “I am sorry that I hid the truth but he never allowed me to tell you or even contact him. I knew his name too and always wanted to make them meet but your father never agreed.”

To say that Chaeyoung became mad is an understatement. He always envied his friends that had family and cousins. He stood up and looked out of the window and saw his uncle’s car.

“From now on you, two will have a different life” he stated making Chaeyoung confused “you will move into my mansion and Chaeyoung I will help you achieve a nice career”

His uncle’s tone made Chaeyoung speechless same as Eunjung. The doorbell rang again and Chaeyoung opened the door, Mina instantly hugged him “the meeting got canceled so I decided to come” she said before her eyes landed on the older man “mister Minsik?” she said shockingly.

“Oh, our beautiful lawyer, long time no see,” he said shaking hands with her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter