Chapter 4

The Cursed Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina had wrapped herself in a long beige coat as she strayed up and down the deck like a grey ghost, the wind was strong but it didn’t stop her. It took fronds of her hair and made them into lashes that beat her face and blew above her head. She swept up her long brown hair as she saw Chaeyoung walking towards her, wearing a black leather jacket. His jeans were worn and ripped. Unlike Mina’s tight branded one. He humbly bowed his head as he stood beside her. 

 

The waves broke around the rocks in the shallows, their foam crests becoming chaotic lace over the blue. Chaeyoung watched it swirl, mesmerized as if the movement of the water choreographed his thoughts.

“I didn’t expect you to call so soon.” Mina broke the silence.

Chaeyoung glanced at her from the corner of his eyes, contemplating if it’s the right time to tell her. “May I know the relationship between you and Jimin?” Mina rolled her eyes. “If you’re here to ask stupid questions, then I’d prefer that we leave.” She fired back.
 

“Answer my question.” He said firmly, facing her. The wind kissing his bare face and turning his cheeks red. “What is he to you?”

“Jimin is my fiance.” She answered while shrugging her shoulders. “I thought you would’ve known this.” 

“You two weren’t planning on meeting that night?” Chaeyoung arched his eyebrow. Mina shook her head. “He didn’t tell me why he was there. He said that he called the ambulance, but in the report it said you were the one who called. Which is why I’m confused about the situation.”

Chaeyoung nodded, he knew he couldn’t keep it a secret anymore. “You have to listen carefully to what I’m about to say, and stay strong.” He sighed. “That night, Jiwon and I stole from the safe, as we were leaving we saw Jimin and-” He took a deep breath, staring into Mina’s eyes, ready to see them fall apart. “-Your stepmother together, kissing. They-”

“You’re lying!” Mina cut him off. “You’re making up lies so you can take advantage of me! Maybe you are mistaken, Jimin wouldn’t ever do that, especially with her. I know him.”

Chaeyoung watched Mina pacing back and forth. She touched her forehead, trying to swallow the truth. “I know what I saw with my two eyes. Jimin was with your stepmother.” He sighed. “Jiwon took a video of them too.” He frowned, as did Mina. “What kind of people are you?” She asked disgustingly.

“Jiwon will probably use it to blackmail Jimin and her. I know nothing about him now, but what I do know is that you’re being cheated on, so is your father.” He noticed Mina’s hand tremble, as she struggled to breathe, before breaking into tears. There was an urge to comfort her and soothe the pain. He reached his hand out to her but stopped mid-way. 

“Let’s sit down on the bench.” He held her arm, guiding her to the bench behind them.

“Don’t touch me!” Mina slapped his hand away. She sat down, staring into the sea. Every memory she spent with Jimin, a tear would shed. She wanted the waves to engulf her, drown out the aching in her heart. “Maybe I don’t know him.” She mumbled under her breath, clamping her hands together to stop the shaking. Nothing made sense to her, none of the pieces came together as she wanted. “Why did you decide to tell me now?”

Chaeyoung sat beside her, leaving a safe distance between. He kicked the pebbles down to the sea. “I caught my girlfriend cheating on me with my best friend.” He looked up at the sky, creating patterns in the stars. “I know how you’re feeling right now, and how painful it is. It’s better to know now than later. The closest people in our life were playing us and damn, that hurts.” He chuckled lowly, looking back at her. “Surprisingly, you and I are on the same page right now. But, we can get through it, they don’t deserve our tears. They didn’t think of us when they cheated on us, why should we think of them now?”

His smile was bittersweet as he tried reassuring her. Mina was lost, and in shock that she’s actually sitting with the guy that stabbed her, she hated that she believed him and how she felt the sincerity in his voice. The two walked to her car as she searched for the keys in her purse. “Where are they?” She said angrily.

“In your hand.” Chaeyoung pointed out the obvious. Mina closed her eyes disappointingly before he took the keys from her hand. “I’ll drive you home.”

“No!” 

“I’m not asking for your permission. You’re obviously exhausted and dispersed, so I’ll drive you home.” He said firmly, he opened the car door for her. Mina was indeed too tired and lost to focus on driving. Chaeyoung adjusted the driver’s seat before he drove off.

After getting onto the freeway, the two got caught in a traffic jam. They let their thoughts run free until the car behind began to honk non-stop. Chaeyoung had a perfect view of the accident and the paramedics attending to the injured. The night was ruined enough, it was the last straw for him. He let his short temper take control as he abruptly unclipped the seatbelt and walked to the car behind him. Mina stuck her head out the window, watching the man stomp away.

“If you honk one more time, I swear to god I will pull that steering wheel out of its place and put it in your head and honk non-stop until you become deaf!” He yelled at the man who stared at him. Chaeyoung slammed his fist onto the hood. “Do you understand!?” The frightened man nodded and lowered his hands from the wheel.

“Good.” Chaeyoung patted the roof-top, smiling at the man before going back to Mina’s car. All the other cars stopped honking after the scene. He didn’t notice that she had been staring at him for a solid minute, hanging open. Mina burst into laughter, clapping her hands. The way her eyes turned into small crescent moons and gums appearing as she smiled. It made Chaeyoung smile softly.

Finally, they arrived at Kitano’s mansion. Chaeyoung held out the keys for her to take, he needed to be cautious around her. Mina looked down at her phone, a notification from Jimin popping on her screen.

‘Where are you? I am at your father’s mansion. I miss you so much’

Chaeyoung rubbed his nape nervously. “By the way, you have a beautiful smile, and your laugh is contagious.” He complimented, earning a death glare from Mina, who snatched the keys from his hand.

“Don’t you ever cross the line with me, Son Chaeyoung. You had something I needed, now it’s done. Do you want me to remind you how you stabbed me?” She ridiculed him. “You’re a criminal who’s free because of me! Don’t you ever cross that line!” She poked his chest with every word. “Remember where we stand.” She walked into the mansion as he wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter