Stethoscope

True to Life: Short Shorts

  stethoscope


 

“You didn’t have to accompany me to my appointment, Fany-ah. Really. I could’ve just gone by myself.” Stephanie waved her hands dismissively.

“Oh, stop it, Taetae. You just got discharged, like, a month ago. What kind of best friend would I be if I didn’t accompany my poor, unfortunate bestie to her dependable and extremely attractive doctor for her follow-up?” I rolled my eyes. ing tease.

“Liar. I know why you’re really here.” Stephanie shrugged and grinned, eyes glinting mischievously.

“Can’t really blame me for being curious. You haven’t stopped talking about her since she stepped foot inside your hospital room for the first time. Who would’ve thought meek, shy, and socially inept Taeyeon would finally meet her forever, in a hospital no less?” Fany exclaimed, clasping her hands and batting her eyes dramatically. Seriously, this girl deserved another eye roll and a good smack on the head.

“Yah, shut up! What the hell are you even saying?” Fany scoffed and slowly started skipping a few paces ahead of me.

“I smell D-E-N-I-A-L. And are we there yet?”

“We just got here, Fany. I still need to sign myself in. Excited much?” Fany shrugged again and continued to skip cheerfully ahead.

“Between us, someone has to be. But I’m positive you’re just as giddy to see her, anyway. Am I right or am I right?” She asked and winked playfully at me. I just sighed loudly and hurried my steps, catching up to her and dragged her to the registration area.

“Argh, just stop dillydallying and follow me. And can you please, for the love of all that is holy, stop waving at all the CCTV cameras here?! You’re embarrassing!” She laughed and slapped my hand.

“At least I know how to get people’s attention. With that attitude, the only thing you’ll get is cold feet.”

 


 

“So we just wait here?” I steered Stephanie to a row of benches outside the Endocrinology section of the hospital where my doctor’s office was located.

“I think so. Wait here while I ask inside. Don’t do anything stupid, Fany. Please. I mean it!” I warned her as I made my way towards the entrance of the office. She just gave me a dazzling eye smile and a thumbs up. I hoped to every deity out there that she’d behave, even for a few minutes. She could be a handful most times.

“Hi! Is Dr. Jung in now? I have a follow-up appointment,” I asked the nurse on duty politely. She looked up and smiled at me.

“Yes, dear. You’re right on time. She just got back from a meeting, actually.” She took my appointment slip and patient information form then stood up.

“Why don’t you sit here for a bit while I take your vitals?” I sat patiently as the nurse did all the necessary procedures before updating my records.

“Hmm. Your blood pressure’s high. I’ll just hand these over to Dr. Jung so please wait for a while. She’ll be with you shortly.” I nodded my head and bowed to her as she left. As soon as I sat back down, Fany decided that she waited long enough and barged inside the room, loud voice booming.

“Yah, Taetae! Why’d you just leave me outside all alone and miserable?” I massaged my temples as I flicked hard, to which she just rolled her eyes at me. I pulled her down to a nearby seat.

“Volume, Fany. The nurse just finished taking my vitals and asked me to wait here instead.” She nodded and looked curiously around the place.

“Kim Taeyeon?” My head shot up as I heard a melodious voice call my name. I quickly stood up and bowed in greeting.

“H-hi, Doc. I-it’s nice seeing you again,” I stuttered and I knew for sure my face was flushed a healthy shade of red. The doctor gave me a sweet smile and I couldn’t help smiling back shyly. She really was very pretty, with her lustrous brown hair in a delicate top knot, petite face minimally made up.

“Nice seeing you, too, Taeyeon-ssi. Here, let’s step inside my office.” I was about to follow her when Stephanie suddenly stood beside me, smiling widely.

“Can I come inside, too?” She asked brightly. I internally sighed and wished that Fany would just disappear at that moment. I smiled apologetically at my doctor and introduced my so-called best friend.

“Uh, this is my friend, Fany. She wanted to accompany me here today to, y’know, make sure everything’s okay and stuff,” I explained lamely. Stephanie greeted Dr. Jung happily and gave her a mock salute. I could tell that my friend was quietly assessing the good doctor.

“It’s nice to meet you. Yes, you may come in, too. I’m Dr. Jessica Jung.” She motioned for the two of us to enter her quaint little office. Fany sat on a chair at the corner of the room facing me as I sat across Dr. Jung with her desk in-between us.

“Okay, Taeyeon-ssi. How are you?” I felt my face blush again as she gazed at me intently. I could tell that Fany was observing our interaction with silent intensity. I cleared my throat and answered the doctor as plainly as possible so as not to make a fool of myself.

“I’m doing okay, I guess. My sugar level seems to be stable the past two weeks, Doc. It did plunge for a bit, but only once or twice.” She nodded and read through my records.

“Hmm. Have you eaten anything today yet?” I shook my head sheepishly.

“Uh, does water count?” She looked up and playfully glared at me.

“You should really eat on time, Taeyeon-ssi. I’ll give you a referral slip for the tests you need to undergo, then come back and see me after you’re done with them so that we can check your progress and adjust your medications if needed.” I nodded in understanding.

“When should I come back, Doc?”

“You can see me next week if that’s convenient for you. Oh! How about tomorrow instead? Or is that too soon?” I looked at her, confused. My previous doctors weren’t usually this willing to see me again, especially if it’s for routine tests only.

“She’ll be here tomorrow, Doc! I’ll make sure of it, don’t worry.” I shot Fany a somewhat panicked look and silently pleaded for her to shut up. She just smiled innocently at me. I turned my attention back to Dr. Jung when I heard her chuckle lightly.

“Just drop by anytime, Taeyeon-ssi. You know my clinic hours.” She stood up then and reached for her stethoscope and placed the BP monitor facing me.

“Now, according to your file, your blood pressure’s high today. Let’s check it again, shall we?” My eyes widened when she stepped away from her desk and slowly walked towards me.

I could feel my heart racing and my hands were starting to become clammy as she stopped and stood just a few inches in front of me, her fresh flowery scent and close proximity assaulting my senses. It took almost all of my self-control to not jump out of my seat as she (sensually?) bent down and carefully reached out to attach the cuff on my left arm.

She briefly glanced and smiled at me before starting. I swore I was swooning. I couldn’t help but gaze at her as her face suddenly scrunched up adorably in confusion.

“Huh? Why is your blood pressure going up even more? Have you been drinking too much coffee or milk tea recently?” She asked me as she stared disbelievingly at the monitor. Naturally, I panicked again.

“I-I didn’t, Doc! I swear!” I could see Stephanie in my peripheral vision trying really hard to suppress her laughter, and I really wished that I could hit her.

“You really need to calm down, Taeyeon-ssi. You want some water?” My heart continued to palpitate as she gently patted my back, and Fany couldn’t contain her amusement anymore and let out a loud snort. I quickly glared at her then turned back to the pretty doctor in front of me.

“N-no, thanks, Doc. Give me a minute. I-I’m just a bit uneasy.” I took several deep breaths as the doctor patiently waited for me to calm down. After a minute or two, I motioned to the doctor that I was good to go, and we repeated the procedure.

“Everything seems to be in order, Taeyeon-ssi. You made me nervous there for a second.” I had the decency to look ashamed. My cheeks seemed to be permanently flushed, and Fany’s smug smile and the pretty doctor’s amused grin weren’t helping at all.

“Sorry, Doc,” I mumbled. She finished signing my referral slip and handed it to me before opening the door and escorted us out of her office.

“Alright, guys. You’re good to go. Don’t forget to eat, okay, Taeyeon-ssi? I’ll see you soon.” Her smile was etched inside my mind as Fany and I bowed in thanks then left the room.

As soon as we stepped out into the hallway, Stephanie finally couldn’t help herself and laughed at my expense. I gave her one big slap on the arm and power-walked towards the elevators, leaving her behind. I was biting my lip and looked at Fany indifferently when she finally caught up with me. Her eyes were still alight with glee and I just rolled my eyes at her again, my arms crossed.

“I guess you don’t need caffeine to get that heart of yours pumping, eh?” I groaned. I really regretted bringing her with me. 

“You’ll never let me live this down, will you?” She patted my back in mock sympathy.

“Bingo! Wait till I tell the other girls about this!” She declared merrily and bopped me on the nose before skipping away towards the hospital lobby, waving at every CCTV camera she passed by.

“Why are we friends, again?” I asked myself, but couldn’t help the giddiness I was feeling as I secretly hoped that tomorrow would come sooner.

 


 

A/N:

Seriously. That BP monitor is worse than a lie detector. My friend couldn't look at her doctor in the eyes when her BP shot up when he approached her, and I tried really really hard not to laugh out loud *pats myself on the back*