Chapter 8

From Strangers, To Not So Much

 

 

After everyone had left the store, mom and dad had taken Jeno and Jaemin with them to other shopping marts to buy them whatever they wanted in the area while the rest of us walked around the area to find dresses for Anna and Sora. Doyoung and Taeyong looked distressed about the whole thing because both of my sisters were in distress to find the perfect dress and the guys were getting an earful for not helping. We soon found one store at the end of the shopping block and saw many mannequins lined up around the store in dresses. None of the dresses looked the same so each had their own unique look and an original vibe. We had decided to check it out since we had no other choice and the girls looked like they had come to the right place. 

 

“Hello, my name is Lina. How may I help you?” The bells on the door must have alerted our presence because a girl who seemed to be in her 30’s stepped out from what I assumed was the back of the shop. She showed a hesitant smile and came towards us.

 

“Hi, we're looking for dresses for our wives for a ball this Saturday.” Taeyong stepped forward to shake her hand and Doyong did the same while the rest of us smiled and waved at her.

 

“Oh, we need gowns for next Saturday too.” Doyong mentioned and looked around the room while Lina turned towards the girls and clapped her hands for their attention.

 

“Feel free to look around. If you find a dress you like, tell me and I will get you a fitting room. If the ball is on this Saturday, I can alter the dress for you by Friday, but it will cost extra. “ Lina did not look comfortable standing in the middle of us and tried to sound stern with what she was saying. We all nodded our heads in agreement and started our search for the dresses for both of them to wear for both weekends. After about fifteen minutes of searching, Doyong had found a sky blue dress that looked like a ball gown but it was short in the front and long in the back. Gold sequences and glitter swirled all around the dress from the bottom to the waist line. The sleeves had lace with gold ts and it looked perfect for Anna to wear. Taeyong had found a white dress that wasn’t a ball gown, but it wasn’t skin tight either. It had a bit of flair at the end with sheer material circling on the outside of the skirt. It was a simple dress with a few crystals here and there. It screamed elegance and Sora seemed to have liked it. 

 

I was still on the hunt for dresses they could wear for the engagement party but I couldn’t find any. The dresses that were out on mannequins were all too modernized for my taste. I wanted something classy and elegant for them to wear. Oh shoot! I need a dress too! I groaned and started to look through the dresses again for anything that stood out from the others. After ten minutes of walking in circles around the store, I huffed and just stood there and stared at the wall in front of me before I turned around and leaned against it. I blew my bangs out of my face and glanced around my surroundings only to quickly freeze at the sight of three dresses that were hidden in the back where no one would be able to see it. 

 

One of the dresses was a mermaid style dress that reached to the bottom of the floor and off shoulder sleeves.The top part of the dress was a light blue with light sequencing and the color faded to white as it went down. The netting was white creating a beautiful picture of the sea. The dress in the middle was a maroon gown that had a three layered uneven skirt that went to the floor. The top of the dress had gold sequencing and the neck had a halter style. The last dress was black and it was a simple a-line that went to the floor. The sleeves were full with net and lace and the skirt was full with a net on top. These three are perfect. I looked around for the sales clerk and found her pinning something to a mannequin in another corner and hurried over.

 

“Excuse me!” Lina looked weary to see me hurry over and quickly placed her work down to come  meet me halfway. “There were these three dresses that I saw and would love to see them personally." I turned around and hurried back to where I had seen the dresses and excitedly turned towards her when I reached the dresses. She had seemed shocked at my pick and I was starting to hope that these dresses were for sale.

 

“You want these three dresses? Are you sure?” I nodded at the question and she seemed at a loss for words for some reason. 

 

“Are you ok? Are these dresses on hold for someone else?” Lina quickly shook her head and smiled brightly before motioning me to step back. She came forward and took the three mannequins to the back where the dressing rooms and my brothers were.  Speaking of brothers... “Guys! Look what I found.” The guys were on their phones but looked up when they heard my voice. I stood next to the dresses and motioned to them to take a closer look and they were impressed with my choices. 

“Anna would look good with the black one?” Doyoung looked at me and I nodded while Taeyong was looking at the blue and white one before looking at the maroon on. 

 

“The maroon one I picked for the engagement party. But I think Sora would look good with the white and blue dress.” By the time I was done explaining I noticed the girls had come out from the dressing room with the other dresses on and immediately came towards us. 

 

“Taeyong, does this look good?” He turned towards his wife’s voice and nodded his head after seeing her with the white dress. 

 

“Ooh who picked these?” Anna came towards the black one immediately and looked at the dress in awe. 

 

“Do you think these will look good for the engagement party?” I was hopping back and forth between the dresses towards each pair and looked at the couples in excitement.

 

“May I try this on?” Anna pointed towards the black dress and Doyoung had watched the interaction with amusement.

 

“Yes! Let me help you take the dress off.” Lina seemed very excited as she moved behind the mannequins to move the dresses off and hand it to the girls. I waited last to get mine off the mannequin and hurried quickly to the dressing room to try it on.The dress easily slid on me and I turned around towards the mirror in my room. It’s perfect. It just needs a few tweaks. I took a deep breath before I stepped out of the room, apparently at the same time as the others. All three of us looked at each other and I was happy with how all of the dresses seemed to have been an almost perfect fit.

 

“Well all three of us look FABULOUS!” Anna threw her arms up in a dramatic gesture and Sora giggled while I twirled quickly in my dress to add to the extraness. 

 

“Oh wow!” The three of us looked towards our left to see the guys and Lina standing there with open mouths. 

 

“Doyoung approves!” I clapped and turned towards Anna, who did a dramatic hair flip with a smirk. Taeyong came towards Sora, who had a small blush sporting on her face, and placed a soft kiss on the back of her hand with a small smile. 

 

“You look beautiful.” Sora’s whole face became completely red and shook her head while trying to look away while I tried not to openly gag at the cheesiness. Good job Hana! I mentally cheered for myself for picking dresses for them to wear. 

 

“Ah, and look at our little sister.” I was pulled out from my thoughts when I heard Anna’s comment and looked at all of them.

 

“Little? No, we can’t call her little anymore.” Sora had a gentle smile on her face but I saw Taeyong shaking his head with a frown.

 

“No, she's still little. In fact, she is the baby.” I blinked at him before scoffing and placed my hands on my hips. 

 

“Excuse me. This baby is about to graduate college in a few months.” I raised my eyebrows as a challenge for him to call me a baby again but he had a smirk on his face, which made me a little weary and caused me to narrow my eyes at him. He had opened his mouth to say something but someone interrupted him.

 

“I’m sorry to interfere, but are these dresses to your liking?” I smiled and nodded my head at Lina.

 

“We will take all five of the dresses!” Five? Oh right from the charity ball. Anna smiled at Lina and I quickly hurried back into the dressing room to change back. But I quickly turned around before going in completely and stopped Lina.

 

“Excuse me Lina, but there were a few areas I was hoping you could help out with on the dress.” She smiled and we both walked into the dressing room and I started motioning areas where some minor changes would have to be done. Lina was writing everything down on her phone and then took out a measuring tape to measure the areas I was looking at. 

 

“Not to be rude, but I was wondering. You seemed a little stressed when we walked in. Did we come at a busy time?” Lina chuckled and shook her head.

 

“No. I don't mean to be offensive but whenever someone from the high class comes into my shop, I tend to be a little weary because every conversation I’ve had with them has all been…” I watched her struggle with the sentence and laughed. 

 

“Irritating, annoying, rude, egotistical?” I tried to help out with a small smile and not laugh again.

 

“I was going to say calculated but yes they all seem to fit.” I busted out laughing at that and Lina looked relieved from seeing me laugh. “You were like a breath of fresh air. You weren't rude and you didn’t act….” I decided to help again.

 

“Stuck up?” she nodded her head and I just gave her a smile and turned towards the mirror to see the dress again. “Thank you.”


 

“All right now that I have the measurements, I will have your dress ready by this Saturday?”

 

“Next Saturday.”  She nodded and left the room and I started to change. I stepped out a few minutes later with the dress in my arms, which was quickly plucked from my hands. I looked down to see the dress gone and looked back up to see Doyoung taking the dress towards the register. Huh?

 

“Hey wait!” I walked quickly to catch up to him and saw that he had placed the dress on the desk near the register.

 

“We’ll take this too.” Doyoung took out his wallet and I tried to stop him before he could pay for my dress.

 

“Wait, I can pay.” I tried to argue but he smiled and shook his head before taking his card out and gave it to Lina. 

 

“Why? You never let us spoil you or buy you things.” I pouted and crossed my arms across my chest. A hand pinched my cheek and I saw Anna tug on my cheek with a smile before letting go. I whined at the pain and rubbed my cheek while the couple laughed. 

 

“We want to buy it. It’s your engagement party. Why should you buy the dress?” 

 

“Oh, it's your engagement? Congratulations!” Lina smiled from behind her desk and gave a smile back. I also noticed her handling the dresses with a lot more care and got curious. 

 

“Thank you. These dresses are gorgeous and they are different from the other designs. Who designed them?” Lina gave a soft smile and replied shyly.

“I designed these dresses. My boss wasn’t so keen on how my dresses looked and had me place them in the back so I was surprised to see you all like them.”

 

“Well they are absolutely beautiful. You have a real talent for design.” Anna smiled at Lina who gave an embarrassed smile back. She took my dress and hung it up on a rack next to her. 

 

“ I will have your dress ready by Sunday. You can come pick it up then or whenever.” I smiled and nodded at her in reply. I heard the bells on the door ring and turned around to see Taeyong and Sora peek their heads in.

 

“Hey guys! I found our parents! Let’s go!” I took the bags and Doyoung got his card back and we all stepped out of the store. I gave one last wave to Lina before turning around to walk when I felt the bags being taken from my hands. I saw Doyoung walk away quickly from me, which I figure was so I wouldn't take them back, and frowned. 

 

“Oi!” I yelled at him and he turned towards me and shrugged his shoulders. 

 

“I won't let a lady carry these bags.” Taeyong made a noise at Doyoung’s comment.

 

“Baby, Doyoung! She is a baby!” I threw my hands up exasperated and Anna laughed while Sora giggled. We soon reached where the van and my car was. We quickly loaded everything and Doyoung asked for my keys. I was tired so I just gave him the keys before moving to sit in the back. As soon as everyone was in, the car started and I laid my head against Sora’s shoulder before falling asleep. 

 

I woke up when I felt the car turn off and glanced around to see that we were all home. I quickly got out of my car after everyone else got out and stretched before helping with the bags. We all stepped into the house and I excused myself to freshen up before dinner. As soon as I had reached my room, I felt my phone go off and looked at it to see my battery life at 5%. I quickly plugged it in and walked towards my closet to put my pink dress away and get pajamas. Oh shoot! John said he wanted to talk to me! I glanced at my phone and figured it was better to text him after a shower so I quickly grabbed my things and ran into the bathroom. 

 

After my shower, I stepped out and noticed the time was a little after 6 and figured I would call him now then after dinner. I sat down on the edge of my bed and took my phone off the table where it was charging and unplugged it. I stared at my phone for a minute trying to figure out what I should say before I called. Another minute went by and I gave up at how blank I was drawing. I pulled up his name and hit the call icon and tried not to hit the hang up icon. I lost my nerves and was about to hit end when the other side picked up. It was silent and I wondered if he had hung up. 

 

“Hello?” Oh !

 

“Oh! Hi! Hello! HI!” I facepalmed and shrunk into my bed. You are an idiot! 

 

“Hi! How are you?” I heard a light chuckle and fell back against my bed. You are really an idiot! 

 

“I’m good. How are you? Were you busy?” I should have texted him first. It was quiet for a second before he answered.

 

“No I wasn’t. I was just out with some friends.” I heard the sound of a door close and felt bad. Ahh that’s right. He’s part of the popular group

 

“I’m so sorry! I can call back later!” I felt so bad, I really should have texted him first.

 

“No no! It’s ok. Don’t worry about it. Besides, I’m the one that said we should talk right?” I bit my lip and nodded my head, then inwardly sighed because he couldn’t see me.

 

“Right. What did you want to talk about?” I figured I should get straight to the point so I could leave him alone. 

 

“The wedding planner came by today to figure out some details before setting everything up for the wedding. I know I said I would give you three months to get to know each other better but…” I heard him leave the sentence unfinished and cleared my throat.

 

“We’re getting married in a month, right? I found out last night from my parents. It’s ok! It's not like we're completely blindsided. We just have to get to know each other a lot faster.” I tried to make a joke, even though I am horrible at it. It seemed to have worked though because I heard another chuckle. 

 

“We can get three months worth of information in one month, right?” 

 

“Absolutely” I laughed and was about to start speaking again, when I heard the door open and I sat up. I glanced at it to see all four of my siblings standing there. I waved them in but also pointed at the phone that I was holding up to my ear. “Was there anything else?” I heard a hum on the other side and waited.

 

“Oh, there's an engagement party the Saturday after this one.”

 

“Ah yes, my parents mentioned that too. Sorry I didn’t mention anything earlier.” My siblings looked at me in confusion and just shook my head at them. 

 

“That’s ok. But I think that’s everything I wanted to discuss with you, unless you had anything you wanted to mention.” I thought for a minute but came up blank.

 

“No, I think that’s it with me too. So, I guess I’ll see you this Saturday John.” I noticed all four of my siblings whip their heads towards my direction and scrambled to get out of the bed in case anyone tried to jump me.

 

“I will see you Saturday. Oh, and call me Johnny.” I smiled and my siblings looked at me weird. 

 

“Ok. See you Johnny.” I hung up the phone with a smile but I heard a scoff from my left.

 

“Huh, already having nicknames now?” I glared at Taeyong before sticking my tongue out and dashed out of my room when I saw him chase me. I heard more than one pair of feet and looked over my shoulder to see Anna join the chase. I turned my head back, only to bump into a wall and start running again while rubbing my head. Just one day. Give me one day where I’m not bumping into things.