Chapter 3

From Strangers, To Not So Much

 

 

 We were all sitting at the dinner table planning on how to approach this whole thing and my brother looked like he had a great idea ... not.

“Ok here’s what we are going to do. First, me and Doyoung will gang up on him at the ball and threaten him and,”

“Absolutely not!” I screamed at my brother in horror. I looked at Anna in disdain, who was currently in deep thought about something. Sora was frowning at my brother and then looked at me before shaking her head.

“How about us girls go and talk to him to see what he’s like.” She looked towards Anna, who now sported a frown.

“I don’t want to talk to him. I want to punch him.” Anna looked at me with anger and I face palmed, hard.

“Why can’t we all just talk to him like normal civilians?” I suggested in hopes that no one will end up hurting him.

“Since when were we normal?” Doyoung frowned at me. I opened my mouth to answer but froze for a second. Oh my God we’re not normal! He doesn’t know what he’s getting himself into!

“Oh! We should make him meet all of our cousins.” Anna had an evil grin grow on her face and I quickly shook my head.

“They’ll eat him alive!” Was no one understanding the risks of him joining our family?! “Forget how big our family is, were all crazy! No one in our family is sane! You don’t understand, I have seen him at gatherings! He doesn’t talk to anyone unless spoken too. He is a quiet guy, the cool type.” My eyes widened at my own sentence. “his fangirls are going to kill me!” I paled at the thought of all of the girls that like him know I’m the one getting married to him. Doyoung saw me freeze and poked my arm. I pulled myself out of my reverie and blanched at my family. “Guys, I’m going to die.” I slammed my head against the table and covered it with my arms.

“That’s it! We can threaten to kill him!” I heard my brother yell, followed by a “OW! SORA!”

“You’re an idiot oh my God!” Sora yelled back. I lifted my head up to see my brother rubbing his arm and scowling at his wife. There were a few minutes of silence of everyone staring at each other in deep thought.

“Hana?” I turned my head towards Doyoung quickly giving him my attention. “Do you want to marry him?” I blinked at the question while the others turned towards me, waiting. I gulped before I looked down at the table.  Do I? Do I even have a choice? I frowned and kept quiet for a few minutes, weighing out the pros and cons, before looking up at the others.

“I don’t know” I really didn’t know. I don’t even know the guy, but it really isn’t like I had much of a choice. “I want to get to know him first before I say anything about marriage.” I frowned again and looked away, missing my sibling look at each other in worry.

“Tell you what,” I looked up at my brother, waiting for him to say something stupid again. “We will talk to mom and dad. Tell them to give you some time to know the guy and see what he is like. Would three months be ok, or do you want it to be longer?” Is three months enough? Should I ask for a longer time? I felt my phone vibrate again and I remembered what happened a little earlier.

“John had texted me about thirty minutes ago, said he got my number from mom and dad.” They all frowned at the info but kept silent to let me finish. “He wanted to know what color my dress would be so he could match with the tie.” My brother snorted at that and my sister blinked in surprise. Sora and Doyoung were laughing lightly at the revelation.

“What is this, prom?” Doyoung asked Anna with a small smile and a knowing look on his face, causing her to blush. I raised my eyebrow at the two before looking away.

“Would it be ok to ask him about this? Just to get an estimate about how many months it might take to get to know each other better.” I realized my voice kept getting smaller as I finished that sentence and mentally face palmed for not saying it stronger.

“You can do what you think is right. This is your life and you can dictate it however you want.” Sora smiled softly before turning to glare towards my brother. “Right Tae?” she gave him a stern look causing him to look away and pout.

“Fine.” He said it softly before turning back towards me again. “But if he hurts you,” he gave me a meaningful glance which I smiled at.

“You will be the first to know.” He nodded his head before looking at the others.

“Well guys, who wants to go see our parents tonight?” Everyone sported a serious face and was mentally getting ready for the argument that will happen tonight regarding the topic. I heaved a sigh before pulling my phone out.

“That’s perfect actually, I haven’t gone shopping yet so that gives me plenty of time. 😊”

He gave me a smiley face…. I stared at my phone for about a minute not understanding what I should do. Ah screw it.

“Can I ask you a question?”  I placed the phone down in front of me and glanced up. The couples were talking in hushed voices about something and I smiled a little. Maybe that could be me. My phone vibrated and I looked down to see John's text. 

“Go ahead :)” again with the smiley face. I gave a small smile and looked at my siblings again in wonder. Yeah lets do it. I nodded my head to myself and looked down.

“Can we have a few months to get to know each other? At least three months?” my message was seen and the typing bubbles popped up.

“Sure! Three months should be good, or do you want more?” He’s asking me? I blinked in surprise before typing back quickly.

“What do you think?”

“It depends on you. I don’t want you to be uncomfortable.” Is this guy seriously letting me choose. 

“I guess three months should be enough...I think.” the speech bubbles popped up again. 

“Ok. Should we talk more about this face to face on Saturday?” 

“Yeah lets do that!” I smiled at my phone and didn’t notice my siblings looking at me in amusement.

“Ok, see you Saturday. Tell me about the color tomorrow!”

“ I will. See you Saturday.” Maybe, maybe this won’t be so bad.

"By the way, where are the kids?" Anna asked and glanced around the room finally noticing how quiet the house was.

"Oh they're at my brothers house. He wanted to take them out for the day and bring them back tomorrow." Sora smiled.