Chapter 16

From Strangers, To Not So Much

A ringing noise forced my eyes to open and look around for the source. What time is it? I slapped my hand around my bedside table trying to find my phone and pulled the blankets away when I felt the cold metal against my hand. 11 in the morning? Why do I have this alarm again? A flash of blue caught my eye and I looked at the ring on my left hand. I’m still having a hard time believing that I got engaged yesterday, in front of a bunch of people too. Ugg. At least the ball wasn’t chaotic like I thought it would have been. You haven't even received any death threats yet. I shook my head and remembered that I stayed with Johnny and his friends the whole time and we stayed in our own corner talking and laughing. Occasionally some random couple will come up and congratulate us before walking away. Eventually the kids got a hold of him and wouldn’t let him go for a long time. His friends too seemed to have taken a liking to the kids because all four guys were focused on making the boys laugh. 

 

I was brushing my teeth when I choked on laughter when I remembered Jeno messing with Mark’s ear, the latter trying his hardest not to flinch away from the grabby hands. Jaemin was talking the whole time about his school and his friends. It was a picture that I really want to cherish for the rest of my life. I finished up my morning routine and headed back into my room. I walked towards my table to grab my hair brush when I heard my phone’s ringtone go off. I walked back towards my table to see that it was Johnny calling. 

 

“Hello?” 

 

“Hana, good morning. Did I wake you?” I grabbed my headphones and pushed them into the phone before answering into the mic.

 

“No, I’ve been awake. What’s up?” I tried to brush through my hair with my fingers, wincing everytime I hit a tangle. 

 

“So you know how you told me that you take the kids out once a month to spend time with them?”  I nodded but facepalmed when I remembered he can’t see.

 

“Yeah I did. I was actually planning to take them out today.”

 

“Ahh ok. I was actually calling to see if I could tag along.” My cheeks hurt from how quickly and big a smile spread on my face. 

 

“That would be great actually! I was planning to take them at 12:30.”

 

“Perfect! I can come pick you guys up around then.” 

 

“There’s no point in me telling you I can meet you there right?”

 

“Nope.” I laughed and I could hear the chuckling from the other side. “I’ll see you at 12:30.”

 

“See you.” I smiled and hung up the phone. I tied my hair up into a high bun before leaving my room in search of the rest of my family. "I know they all stayed over last night. Is everyone still asleep?” I walked downstairs to see the kids watching tv and eating apple slices.

 

“Hey guys, where are your parents?” They both turned to look at me and grinned. 

 

“They're still sleeping.” Jaemin answered and Jeno nodded. 

 

“You guys ready for today? We’re leaving in an hour.” They jumped off the couch and ran up the stairs. Soon I heard yelling and I smirked, remembering the wake up call from yesterday. Sorry Sora for getting you involved. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed an apple from the fruit basket by the door. I munched on it while walking back up the stairs and went into my room to get ready for the day. I looked through my closet for something presentable and comfortable when I heard the door to my room burst open. I turned to see the twins in matching outfits of jeans and a thin hoodie, a black cap and white converse to top it off. Seriously, these two have a better fashion sense than me. Then again, their mother designs clothes in her free time. “You look great boys! Why don’t you head down and I will meet you in thirty minutes.” They both nodded and ran for it while I sighed and looked back into my closet. 

 

I grabbed some black leggings and a mid thigh blue t-shirt dress that was off shoulder and ran to the bathroom to get ready. In about fifteen minutes I had been able to wash the glitter and hairspray out of my hair, with aggressive brushing, and got ready. Not wanting to overdo it, I wore a lip tint and grabbed my tiny backpack, filling it with my card, phone, and water for the kids. I wore ballet flats and walked down the stairs to keep the kids company. Noticing it was around 12:15, I mentioned to the boys that our ride would be here in about fifteen minutes.

 

“Who is it aunty?” Jeno had somehow figured out the puppy dog eyes but I closed my eyes and looked away.

 

“It’s a surprise!”

 

“But aunty!” I felt hands tugging on my dress and I looked, a mistake really, and saw Jaemin staring at me with a pout. I can’t do this! I coughed and covered my eyes and shook my head. I didn’t hear a sound and peaked through my fingers to see them both whispering towards each other. Using the distraction, I quickly pulled out my phone and texted Johnny.

 

“Are you close? The twins are making it hard for me to keep it a secret that you're coming.” I peeked through my bangs and noticed them both staring at me. I quickly looked down and hoped that he was really close. I felt my phone ding and looked down.

“I’m pulling up at your driveway.” I stood up and ushered the kids out while texting him at the same time. 

 

“You are a lifesaver!” I got them out of the house and bid Jay a bye before leaving with the twins. “Tell mom I will be back late.” He nodded and I walked towards the drive through where a red car was waiting. The kids suddenly started walking slowly to the point where they were hiding behind my legs. “Guys..” I looked at them but they hid themselves more behind me and grabbed my dress, causing me to stop walking. The door to the car opened, however, and Johnny walked out with a giant smile.

 

“Uncle Johnny!” The kids yelled and sprinted down the rest the way towards Johnny, who was crouching down with his arm open. Aww I need a picture of this. Before I could grab my phone out, the kids were already beckoning me over. I laughed and walked over, taking Jeno’s hand while Johnny took Jaemin’s and took him to the other side of the car. We helped them into the car and buckled them in and then moved to the front of the car. Johnny pulled himself into the drivers side while I sat down on the passenger side. I pulled my overhead mirror down to glance at the kids. 

 

“You guys ready?” They both let out noises of agreement we chuckled and drove off. 

 

“So, where are we going?” My eyes went wide because at that moment I realized I never actually told anyone the plan. 

 

“Oh right! The aquarium! I was planning to take them there.” He nodded and it was quiet in the car for a few minutes. I turned to look at the kids and they were staring out their windows. “Are you guys ok?” They both turned to me and pouted, which caused my eyebrows to raise, 

 

“Aunty we’re bored!” Jeno whined and Jaemin was squirming in his seat. 

 

“How much longer?” I sighed and pursed my lips.

 

“Guys we left like ten minutes ago. We need to drive for ten more.” There was more whining and I turned back in my seat and opened my backpack. Don’t tell me I forgot the candy…

 

“Do you guys want to play a game?” I looked at Johnny, who was glancing at them through his mirror while driving.

 

“What game?” Jaemin leaned forward and Jeno aggressively nodded his head. 

 

“I want you to find as many red cars as you can from here till we get to the aquarium.” They both nodded and glanced back out the window. Soon enough there were shouts in the back about the cars they saw and if it was red or not. I turned towards Johnny in surprise at the idea.

 

“Are you sure you don’t have any siblings? You seem to have a lot of experience with the twins.” He chuckled and shrugged while he turned right onto a street. 

 

“It was a game my driver played with me when I was younger and he would take me to school.” His driver, not his parents. I frowned but didn’t question it and looked out the window. 

 

“I saw 16 red cars!” Jaemin shouted and I looked back.

 

“No you didn't, I saw 20!” I blinked at the two, who seemed to be getting ready for a war when I cleared my throat, causing the two to stop and look at me. Both had puppy eyes and pouted but I glared at both of them. 

 

“That’s impossible, I saw 23 red cars.” I smirked and they both shouted at me and I laughed at their adorable antics. 

 

“That’s funny. I only saw one. And we’re sitting in it.” I blinked and looked at Johnny, who smirked and the twins were now screaming random numbers, trying to outdo the other. The noise level got really bad and I was going to tell them to quiet down when I felt a hand on my arm. “Let them be. Plus we’re almost there.” I turned back in my seat and recognized the road. 

 

“Oh we are. That was quick.” We drove up to the parking area where there was a machine that was giving tickets. We got ours and went to go park in the area, the kids becoming more and more hyper. “ What did they have for breakfast?” I mumbled but Johnny laughed. We soon parked and Johnny and I got out of the car, each opening the back door and helping the kids out. Once we were all out and situated. Jaemin held onto my hand and dragged me towards the entrance, Jeno holding Johnny’s and dragging him too. 

 

After arriving at the entrance, I handed Jaemin over to Johnny and went to go pay for the tickets. However, as soon as I was going to hand over my card, another hand quickly replaced mine and gave the card that was theirs. I quickly looked towards my left and saw Johnny look away while holding Jeno’s hand, who was holding Jaemin’s hand. I glared at him and placed my hands on my hip. 

 

“I thought it was my turn to pay this time.” He looked at me and shrugged and took back the card from the cashier.

 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” I blinked at him and he winked, which made my cheeks burn. I could feel the heat traveling up and I looked away and pouted. I heard chuckling but I didn’t look up. 

 

“Have a good day and have fun.” The cashier said to us and we walked towards the entrance towards the aquarium. 

 

“Have they been here before?” I shook my head and gestured for Jaemin to come hold my hand. 

 

“ No, this is their first time. I never told them what they should expect though, so I’m really curious how they will react when they see the animals. Especially the sharks.” I felt Jaemin transfer from my left hand to my right and I looked down to see him hold Jeno’s hand. Both of them had mesmerized looks on their faces as they saw the blue hue that was coming through the entrance. I smiled and looked up at Johnny to see him look at the kids too. He looked up and nodded his head towards the entrance and smiled before pulling the kids arms. “Come on!” We walked in and there’s a water filled pillar right in front of us. A huge one and there were different colored fishes swimming around in the pillar. Corals of many shapes and little starfishes stuck to the glass. 

 

“Woah!” Jaemin let go of my hand and pressed his hands against the glass, staring at the different creatures. Jeno soon followed him and I took my phone out to take some pictures. After snapping a few shots, I urged them on to keep moving. They both stayed together and walked in front of us, glancing from side to side at the various pictures and murals of the ocean. We soon reached another tank in the side where little sea lions were playing around in the water. 

 

JOHNNY’S POV

 

It was adorable to see the kids walking around and glancing at the different fishes. Each time they reached a certain tank, Hana would stop to take pictures before looking at the tank herself and Johnny became more curious. 

 

“I’m surprised you're not telling the kids to pose for you.” She looked at him and smiled before waving her phone around.

 

“If I tell them to pose, they become awkward and start fidgeting. This way it’s more natural and I can get their reactions too, something their parents would want to see.” Johnny nodded before nodding his head at them.

 

“Don’t you want to take pictures as well.” She laughed though and shook her head.

 

“Oh no, pictures are not something I enjoy being in, but I love to take them. Maybe later..” She held a soft gaze while staring at the kids and Johnny couldn’t help but look at the kids too. “Kids let’s go.” The kids turned back and walked in a different direction, us following them. We soon reached an area where there were penguins and the people were allowed to go into a tunnel and go up into a dome to get a closer look. 

 

“Aunty, we want to go in there.”Jeno pulled Hana’s right arm while Jaemin pulled her left. She looked at the tunnel and looked at Johnny, her eyes pleading. Johnny laughed and took his phone out. 

 

“I’ll take pictures.” She shook her head and looked at the kids. 

 

“Guys, why not take uncle Johnny?” He laughed and shook his head before nodding at the tunnel.

 

“I’m extremely tall, it won’t work.” She pouted and shook her head but he laughed and pushed all three towards the tunnel. “Go, I promise I’ll take pictures.” They kids pulled a reluctant Hana towards the tunnel and all three crawled into the tunnel. He looked at the dome and waited for someone’s head to pop up. He glanced around to see a few parents with their kids and realized that they were lucky for coming on a day where there wasn’t much of a rush. Just in time he looked back at the dome and saw Jaemin’s head pop up, followed by Jeno. Both looked around in amazement and he laughed while clicking a couple pictures. Soon, Hana’s head popped up too and he had to laugh at all three of your heads looking around to see the penguins. He snapped a few more shots and then Hana pointed the kids attention towards him. They all waved and he waved back, sporting a small smile. He saw her say something to the kids and they all disappeared from the dome. A minute later he heard a yell.

 

“Uncle Johnny!” Johnny turned towards the right and saw Jeno run towards him, Jaemin following behind. He looked around but didn’t see Hana and looked towards the kids. 

 

“Where’s your aunt?” They both motioned for him to follow them and they ended up at the other end of the tunnel where she was crawling out from. He was quick to lend her a hand, which she gratefully accepted. She stood up and fixed her hair before looking at him. 

 

“Well that was fun.” She cleared and he laughed. The kids soon grabbed their hands and led them to the next section. They arrived under a big dome, no one else in there with them. There was a seat bench under next to the wall and the kids went to sit. He and Hana joined them and watched the water for creatures. The kids suddenly turned around and  kneeled on the bench and whispered towards each other about something.  Soon he saw a shadow swim across at a distance and Hana squinted her eyes to get a better look. Those looked like...oh no. Before he could get a warning out, the kids fell from their seat and ran to the opposite side of the dome. He stood up to check on the kids and heard a gasp. He quickly turned around in time to see Hana fall back when she saw the huge shark swim their way. Johnny quickly caught her in his arms and pulled her away from the glass, ushering the kids towards him too. The glass was soon surrounded by sharks, different shapes and sizes, each one swimming slowly in the water. 

 

“Woah… Jaemin! It’s a shark! Look!” Jeno moved out of Johnny’s arms to get a closer look but was held back by Jaemin, who was whimpering. “Come on!” Jeno pulled Jaemin out of Johnny’s arms and they both walked slowly towards the glass. Not as close as before, but close enough and they both just stood there staring at the different sharks. A lot of the sharks just swam around, a few coming towards the glass before swimming away. 

 

“I wish I knew this was the shark area.” Johnny looked down at the girl he was holding,who was fumbling around in her bag. She pulled out her phone and snapped a few pictures of the kids but then stopped. He noticed a red hue forming on her cheeks and she looked away from him. “Uh, thanks for the save…” He felt her hand on his arm and he realized he was still holding onto her.

 

“Oops, sorry!” He let her go but she laughed and looked at him. 

 

“No, thank you. I told you, you really should have band aids on hand.” He laughed and shrugged, realizing he really should keep a first aid kit around him. She grabbed his arm and pulled him back towards the bench and sat down. When he also sat down, she opened her phone and started scrolling through the pictures she had taken. She then showed him the recent shark ones and pointed out the different pictures.

 

“You’re right. Candid shots are much more nicer than having them pose.” She smiled but looked at him. 

 

“Did you get pictures of the penguins?” He laughed and pulled out his phone and showed her the pictures he took. They both scrolled through, laughing at the tiny heads that popped up in the glass. “Send me those, I need to make a scrapbook with all of these pictures.” He quickly sent the pictures over as she called them over to give them some water. They all left the domes and walked into another room. This room was huge, with a big glass covering them. In the glass were different types of fish ranging from small colorful ones, to huge manta rays. The room itself was dark so the people in the room were highlighted blue. Hana was quick to take pictures of the kids, angling it in a way where there was a manta ray swimming right behind them. The kids had their faces against the glass, jaws dropped as they looked at the various animals. Johnny was also fascinated by the sea turtle that swam by slowly and took a picture. He also looked at the kids and laughed before taking a picture. He turned his camera towards Hana and froze when he saw the blue highlight making her glow. Her body was was angled towards him but her face was staring at the tank, showing her side profile. Her eyes were wide and she had a small smile as her eyes wandered around the different creatures. She’s so beautiful. He took a picture and smiled at the image before resuming to take pictures of the other sea creatures. After a few minutes they started walking again and wandered around a few more areas. They both had to stop at an area where there was a small tank filled with jellyfish that was safe to pet. Each had to hold a child because the kids were too short to reach the top of the tank. They ended up taking a few selfies with the jellies and other fishes. Hana especially wanted to take a selfie with the beluga whales and the dolphins and soon there were pictures of all four of them either glowing blue or making funny faces at the fish. Near the end, Jaemin was on Johnny’s shoulders and Hana was holding Jeno on her hip, both of the kids holding a stuffed whale animal and laughing at all of the fishes they had encountered today. 

 

“What’s next on the agenda? It’s only 4.” Johnny turned towards Hana, his hands on Jaemin’s knees, making sure he wouldn’t fall. 

 

“Actually I wanted to get them something to eat.” A whale came in front of her vision and she laughed while tickling Jeno, who giggled and pushed the whale under her face, trying to push her away. A whale suddenly came in front of his vision too and he laughed pretending to catch it while holding the kid’s ankles while Jaemin pulled the whale out of Johnny’s reach. All four soon reached the car and they all got strapped in before leaving the aquarium. 

 

“Any place in particular?” He saw Hana frown before turning around in the car. 

 

“What do you guys want to eat?” The twins were too busy playing with their whales to pay any attention to the question and she laughed before turning around. “Do you know any place?” He tilted his head and then nodded his head.


“I got just the place.” He didn’t elaborate, wanting it to be a surprise and the kids got her attention before she could ask him where. All four just talked about random things while he drove them to their destination, the place where his chauffeur always took him on days when his paren'ts would come home late. Hopefully this kids will like this place too.