Chapter 10

From Strangers, To Not So Much

 

 

The day had gone by really quick with the whole family being in one house. In fact, for three hours it was heel lessons with my sisters. They had me walk around the house in heels and a book on my head so I would keep my balance and look “poised”. My feet hurt! 

 

Two hours before leaving, my mother had forced me back into my room where the maids were waiting to dress me up. They wouldn’t let me look at the mirror so I was staring at my bed while they got me ready. After a few tugs on my hair and sprays here and there, I was finally able to put on the dress. They made sure not let the dress touch my hair or my face and made me sit back down to do some final touches. Thirty minutes before leaving, I was helped into my heels and then I was told to look at the mirror. I turned around slowly and was shocked to see how well the dress fit me, along with my makeup and hair. My long brown hair was curled and pinned to one side so all of the hair would lay over my left shoulder. They had sprayed glitter into my hair along with a whole bunch of hair spray that I couldn’t even turn my face in that direction. I scrunched my nose before looking at my face. It was natural, with a few colors here and there. Light eyeshadow with a bit of blush on my cheeks. The only area that looked heavy with makeup was my lips because they had used a red tint to color my lips. I, for once, looked elegant. I thanked everyone for their help before leaving my room to see my siblings also step out from their rooms across mine. All of us looked regal, including the kids, and I wanted to make a comment, but I heard my mother calling out to us from downstairs. 

 

“You look beautiful.” Taeyong gave me a watery smile and I blinked because he looked like he was ready to burst into tears. Anna smiled while Doyoung gave the nod of approval. Sora was patting Taeyong’s back while trying not to laugh but she also smiled at me and nodded. 

Before we knew it, it was time to go and we all gathered together in our cars. Doyoung and Anna got into their own car as Taeyong, Sora, and the twins got into theirs. I was in the car with my parents and we were all off to the ball. I knew the ride would last about forty minutes so I had hid my phone and ear pods into my clutch before leaving the house. My dress poofed out when I sat so the netting under the dress started to become a little irritating, causing me to start squirming around, which caused my mom to notice.

 

“Hana stop that! You will ruin the dress.” I flinched and sat still and looked out towards the window. Since my dad was driving, I sat behind the passenger seat, where my mother was, and took out my phone. 

 

“Please save me from this car. I’m so bored.” I sent a text to the sibling group chat and Anna sent back an emoji with it’s tongue out.

 

“Sorry, maybe we can send the kids over on the way back to keep you entertained.” I read Sora’s message and widened my eyes. 

 

“Please!!!” I was about to text them more when my mother turned around in her seat. 

 

“So are you excited to finally meet John? I heard from his mom that he was anxious to meet you.” I started fidgeting again and looked at my mom.

 

“I’m a little scared mom. What if I’m not what he is expecting?” I would have said more but I was cut off.

 

“Then become what he is expecting, it’s that simple. Now, since this is the first meeting, try not to embarrass yourself please. He is the heir to the Seo corporations.” Yes mother I remember. I tried to push myself further back into my seat and stared out the window. I didn’t realize how much I zoned out until I heard my mother let out a squeal. “We’re here!” I blinked and looked at the hotel in front of me. 

 

It was huge and looked like the hotels that were built to imitate the manors and castles of the older times. I slowly opened the door and stepped out to get a better look at the area. The whole hotel seemed to have been in the middle of a forest where only the front of the place was left open to the world. It even had the cliche spike towers almost every castle has, with the flags on top. There were dozens of windows, each one shining gold from the lights. There was a modern vibe to it, however, but it screamed elegance in every area I looked at. 

 

“Well it looks like you will be meeting your prince charming in a castle, just like a princess.” A hand fell on my shoulder and I turned towards my right to see Sora grinning from ear to ear. 

 

“I want to say that it’s romantic, but I can’t help but cringe on the inside.” The twins appeared before me while Anna walked up while shaking her head at her comment. 

 

“You and me both.”Taeyong frowned while walking up to my right and I noticed Doyoung walk up to my left. They both offered their arms to their respective other before all four turned to look at me. I took in a deep breath before taking one step forward. This is so dramatic oh my gosh!

 

The inside was more glamorous compared to the outside. Gold chandeliers hung everywhere and there was a double crystal staircase that led up to the ballroom of the hotel. My stomach was twisting at this point that I felt pain. You met him before! Why are you so nervous! I gulped and motioned for the twins to walk in front of me. I realized then that my parents were missing and figured they had already entered the area. With each step up, my heart was pounding erratically and I could hear the blood rushing through. We had finally reached the top and I froze. I could feel my eyes darting back and forth inside the room and I started twisting my fingers. A hand appeared on my back and I heard a voice next to my ear.

 

“We’re right here” I shook my head and looked at Taeyong. I couldn’t get out the words so I just resorted to shaking my head. Taeyong looked worried and I felt bad about it, but I just could not seem to move my feet. Sora reached out for my hand and held it while sporting a gentle smile. 

 

“Every step of the way.” I remembered our talk from Wednesday and looked towards the room again. Come on Hana! Since when have you been scared of meeting new people. I took a deep breath but couldn't move still, so I pulled Taeyong and Doyoung in front of me and pushed them to walk first. So much for keeping my head up. My siblings got the message though and seemed to walk first with me following behind. I looked at their backs and all four of them had the aura of elegance and wealth.  I am the weak one. I sighed and just looked around while following my siblings. Soon the girls separated from the guys and pulled me along with them to look at some of the portraits that were on the room. I heard a gasp and looked at Anna, who looked like she was trying not to jump up and down. 

 

“Hana! Look! Look!” She grabbed me by the shoulders and turned me around to look at a corner where the portraits were prominent. I didn’t understand why she was so excited to see the portraits until I looked a bit more closer and saw Johnny talking to a guy who was shorter than him, but not much. The both seemed to be hiding there because they kept looking around as if they were waiting for someone to spot them. I quickly turned back around and saw a waiter walking by with a platter covered in glasses filled with a gold bubbly substance. I took one off as he was passing by and drank a bit of it, but made a face because it tasted sour. The girls laughed at my reaction and bent down a little to talk to me.

 

“So, prince charming is right there.” Sora had a look in her eye that seemed very wrong to me. 

 

“And he seems to be looking for someone” Anna also had a look in her eye before she blinked and that look was gone. I blinked at both of them with my eyebrow raised before pursing my lips. 

 

“You know Anna, I’m really curious about those paintings over there. Shall we go take a look at it.” My eyes widened and I tried to back away but Anna grabbed my arm and pulled me with her towards the guys direction. I tried yanking my hand away but her grip was really strong so I just followed along and tried to think of a way to postpone the meeting. 

 

“He’s talking with someone.” But Anna and Sora both shook their heads.

 

“Nothing we can’t handle.” I never thought I would see such an aggressive side from Sora before I started yanking on my arm again.

 

“Guys, please. He is obviously talking to someone. Wouldn’t it be rude if we just interrupted?” But to my luck, the guy Johnny was talking to walked away, causing my sisters to turn around and smirk at me.

 

“Not anymore.” Anna let go of my arm and pushed me into Johnny’s general direction. I was turned to look at my sisters, who shooed me towards him. I sighed and turned back around to notice Johnny was standing up straight and staring right back at me.  Ah ! I smiled at him, at least I hope it was a smile, and walked up to him slowly, making sure that I didn’t end up stepping on my own feet. I made it up towards him in a few seconds and lifted my head up to look at him. 

 

“Hi.” That was too soft, what if he didn’t hear you?! I started panicking but Johnny had a smile on his face too. 

 

“Hello. It’s nice to officially meet you. I’m Johnny.” He held out his hand toward me and I reached my hands toward him to shake his hand.

 

“I’m Hana. It is nice to finally meet you too.” We let our hands go and just smiled at each other, but I could feel the awkwardness seeping in. Uhh..

 

“You look beautiful.” I felt the blood rush to my face before I could even think about it. I coughed and looked away trying to find any of my siblings before looking at him, but I had to immediately look down.

 

“Thank you. You look nice too.” I glanced up and noticed the tie and tried to stop myself from laughing. “Especially your tie.” He looked down and chuckled before looking at me.

 

“We really do look like we're going to prom.” I did laugh at that but quickly covered my mouth when I noticed a few people glance over at us. 

 

“Did you have a hard time finding the tie? I realized I never actually sent a picture of the fabric to help out.” Johnny shook his head but continued smiling. 

 

“Not at all. I did have some help though. In fact, here comes one of my helpers now.” I raised my eyebrows and he motioned to look behind me. I turned around to see it was the same guy he was talking to earlier. The guy was looking at his phone while walking in our direction and I felt a tap on my arm. I turned towards Johnny while he lowered his head to my ear. “Hide behind me.” He whispered and I quickly ran around him to hide. He was built enough where I was hidden, but I was trying to pull the end of my dress from poofing out behind him.

“Johnny, where is your fiancee? The guys and I were looking for her but we can’t find her anywhere. We did see her family though…” I was trying to hold the urge to peek over Johnny’s arm to see the guy, but my feet were starting to hurt and I didn’t want to trip over my own feet. 

 

“Why were you looking for her?”

 

“We wanted to meet her first before letting her meet you. You know, tell her some stories and mention that running away might be the best thing to do at the moment.” I snorted but quickly covered my mouth and Johnny cleared his throat. Oopsies.

 

“I’m not that bad of a person.” 

 

“No but you're really weird. I felt it was our duty to warn her about what she was getting herself into.” Weird? Please.”

 

“Actually, my family is really weird so it’s a trait we all have.” I peeked my head over Johnny’s arm and smiled at the guy that looked shocked to see me. “In fact, I think being weird is one characteristic we all look for.” I completely stepped out from the back and offered my hand to the guy. “Hi, I’m Hana.” He blinked at me before showing a full blown grin and took my hand to shake. 

 

“I’m Ten. It’s nice to finally meet you. Actually, let me go get the guys.” He ran off before I could say anything and I heard a groan from my left. I turned my head towards Johnny but laughed when I saw him pinching the bridge of his nose. 

 

“They really plan on doing this so let’s have them look for us. Walk with me.” He seemed to stay towards the sides and not interact with the other people in the room. We didn’t say anything but it wasn’t uncomfortable. After a few seconds, another server came by with a platter full of drinks and Johnny took one. 

 

“I know you said your family is weird, but I have a hard time imagining that, especially with how famous your siblings are.” I scoffed at that and shook my head at the statement.

 

“Oh no, you really don’t know my family. Yeah they are known for their smarts but it really isn’t like that at home. I mean you will have a month before seeing it for yourself.” I shook my head when I heard him laughing. “What about you? What’s your family like?” He stopped laughing and looked serious all of a sudden. Did I ask something I shouldn’t have?

 

“My family...I am an only child and it’s just us three.” I looked at him but he seemed to be looking somewhere else. I furrowed my eyebrows before clearing my throat and took a sip from the champagne. I forgot for a moment and winced when I tasted the alcohol, which he seemed to notice and chuckled.

“You don’t like champagne?” I shook my head, which caused him to laugh more. 

 

“I’m more of a sweet person. Like sweet red wine.” I was going to say more but something bumped into me from behind. I turned around and noticed the twins standing there staring at Johnny. “Hey guys!” Johnny turned around at my comment and noticed the twins that were staring at him.

 

“Aunt Hana, who is that?” Jaeming asked with wide eyes and Jeno nodded at the question. 

 

“He’s really big.” They both looked so astonished by Johnny’s height, I couldn’t help but laugh and squatted so I could be their eye level.

 

“Boys, I want you to meet Johnny. He’s the one I was telling you about earlier.” I noticed movement and looked towards my left to see Johnny squat down to the boys level. I didn’t think it was possible, but their eyes became even wider at the man next to me. 

 

“Hello. I’m Johnny.” The boys looked at each other before letting out giant smiles and turned towards us.

 

“Im Jaemin!”

 

“And I’m Jeno!” 

 

“We’re brothers!!” Johnny laughed at their antics and the kids bounced even closer to him.

 

“Are you the one Aunt Hana is going to marry?” Jeno asked and Jaemin nodded at the question before leaning in closer.

 

“She said she has to live with you to grow up.” I think he meant it as a whisper, but I heard it, and I can feel my cheeks getting hot.

 

“What? No!” I facepalmed and Johnny laughed, which made my cheeks even hotter.

 

“I told them this was a part of growing up. Oh gosh that sounds like the same thing. You know what I mean, right.” I knew I would keep babbling away if I didn’t shut up soon, but Johnny nodded his head with a massive grin on his face.   How embarrassing!