Chapter 11

From Strangers, To Not So Much

 

I covered my face with my hands as the boys kept babbling to Johnny about how they were twins and who their parents were. I peeked through my fingers and looked at Johnny to see that he had a huge grin on his face as he was listening to the kids talk. He doesn’t seem bored or uncomfortable at all. He looks genuinely interested in what they have to say. I was extremely overprotective with the kids so to see someone not treat them like brats or nuisances really made my heart feel lighter. 

 

“Daddy!” Jeno screamed and the twins ran between us. Oh no. I quickly got up but lost my balance, but someone had grabbed my arm to stabilize me. I looked over to see Johnny holding on to my arm and until I was stable, before he pulled away. I turned around to notice Taeyong standing there with Doyoung, who was eyeing my arm while Taeyong  seemed to be staring Johnny down. I cleared my throat and quickly walked up to them before turning towards Johnny. 

 

“Johnny, I would like for you to meet my brother Taeyong, and my brother in law Doyoung. Guys, this is Seo Johnny.” Johnny had reached his hand out while Taeyong seemed to be staring him down. Exasperated, I cleared my throat to catch Taeyong’s attention and threw him a hard glare. He raised his eyebrow at me before he took his hand out to shake Johnny’s hand.

 

“Nice to meet you Johnny.” I saw his teeth clenched and looked at their hands to see his hand turn white and realized he was gripping Johnny’s hand too hard. My eyes had gone wide and was about to run over, when he let go. Johnny had a small smile, but I saw him shake his hand a little bit and pursed my lips. Doyoung reached over to shake Johnny’s hand as well,and Johnny reached over, but I could tell he was hesitating. Doyoung gripped Johnny’s hand and gave a firm handshake before letting him go. No one said anything but my brothers were staring Johnny down to the point I even became uncomfortable while glancing back and forth at the guys. Thank goodness my sisters showed up to save the situation...I hope.

 

“Well hello there. You must be Johnny, yes?” Anna walked up next to me while Sora walked up to Taeyong. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.” Thank you Sora for being so kind! I saw Taeyong snort causing Sora to whack him in the arm. I covered my mouth to hide a grin before looking at Johnny. He was sporting a small smile before nodding at her. 

 

“Johnny, meet Sora my sister in law and this is Anna my sister.” Anna nodded at him but didn’t smile. I nudged her arm, which caused her to sigh.

 

“Nice to meet you.” Oh good Lord! I rolled my eyes and motioned to the twins. 

 

“And you met the twins so this is my family. I’m not sure where my parents are but I will introduce them soon.” I gave Johnny a smile, which I hoped was somewhat encouraging. 

 

“Yes our parents would be very happy to meet you.” Taeyong was gritting his teeth and Anna had her arms crossed. Doyoung looked at Anna before looking at Johnny and raised his eyebrow. I figured now was a great time to leave before they started interrogating him and I figured Sora had the same idea because she stepped forward and turned towards the kids. 

 

“Why don’t you guys go show them where we are sitting?” The twins nodded excitedly and ran forwards towards us. Jaeming, surprisingly grabbed Johnny's hand while Jeno had grabbed mine and pulled us towards the left. 

 

“We will see you guys at the table.” I waved at my siblings before turning towards Johnny and Jaemin. Jaemin seemed to be babbling about something and Johnny was listening intently. I was still surprised that he was being patient with the kid. I felt a tug on my right hand and looked towards Jeno, who had a frown on his face. “What is it buddy?” He looked towards me before looking towards his brother and Johnny.

 

“Will he be taking you away forever?” I stopped and stared at Jeno in confusion before bending down towards his height.

 

“What do you mean Jeno?” I grabbed both of his hands before squatting down. He looked at me before looking down.

 

“Aunt Anna said that you would be living with him from now on, just like her and uncle Doyoung. We don’t see aunt Anna a lot more like we used to. I don’t want you to go away like that.” My eyes softened and I pinched his cheeks causing him to blush.

 

“Aww, Jeno I’m not leaving forever. How could I leave you like that? I love you and your brother way too much to leave. Jeno, I can’t stop myself from getting married, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to leave you behind.” I cupped his cheeks to make him look at me. “I promise, I’m not leaving forever.” Jeno’s eyes shifted to my left and I noticed Johnny squat down next to me. How much of that did he hear?

 

“Hey buddy, what makes you think I’m taking your aunt away forever?” I blushed at the question but kept staring at Jeno, who was looking everywhere else but at Johnny. I squeezed his hands causing his attention back on me, and I blinked before giving a small smile. He sighed before turning towards Johnny. He is so much like his mother.

 

“When aunt Anna got married, we didn’t see her as often as we used to. And when we do, it’s only for a short period of time.” Jaemin, who was standing next to Johnny, came towards his brother with a sad look on his face and turned towards us. Johnny and I looked at each other before turning back towards the twins. “I don’t want to not see aunt Hana anymore.”

 

“Well, it’s true that she won’t be living with your grandparents anymore, but that doesn’t mean we won’t come visit you. And you could always come stay with us when you want to.” Johnny’s answer seemed to do the trick as both of their eyes lit up and had full grins on their face.

 

“We can come stay with you?!” Jaemin was practically jumping at the idea and I laughed at the cuteness. Johnny chuckled and nodded his head at the question, which made Jaemin squeal. Jeno was still smiling at the man and let go of my hands to walk closer to him.

 

“You promise?” He held out his pinky towards Johnny and I was holding back a squeal that was threatening to come out from the cuteness. Johnny linked his long pinky around Jeno’s small short one and nodded his head again. Jeno let go of the pinky and threw himself onto Johnny with a loud yay. Johnny’s eyes were wide at the sudden hug, but was quick to wrap his arm around the kid with a small smile on his face, before turning to me. I smiled really big at the two before I saw Jaemin pouting and I turned my attention towards him.

 

“What’s wrong Jaemin?” His pout turned towards me and pointed at the duo.

 

“I wanna hug him too!” I snorted but shook my head at the cuteness and saw Johnny open his arm out towards Jaemin. Jaemin also yelled out a cheer and threw himself too, this time causing Johnny to almost fall back, but he caught himself. I was staring at the three and was happy to see that the boys were not upset about the whole thing.

 

“All right guys, where’s our table?” The boys pulled away from the hug and allowed Johnny to stand up. He offered me a hand, which I gladly took, and stood up, before wincing at the pain that traveled from my ankles up. Jaemin grabbed Johnny’s left hand while Jeno took my hand off of Johnny’s and grabbed it instead. I watched in shock as the two boys held his hands and dragged him away. Weren't they just worried about me leaving them. They just left me! I hurried to catch up towards the trio before I was left behind completely. We had soon arrived at our table and noticed we were the first ones there. I gladly took the seat that I was standing next to and Johnny took the one next to me. Jeno sat on my right and Jaemin sat on Johnny’s left. I noticed there were name cards where we were sitting and Johnny’s name was next to mine. I figured my parents or his must have said something to have us sit together. I leaned towards Johnny, which I figure he noticed because he lowered his head down to me.

 

“Are you ok sitting here? You usually sit with your friends right?” Johnny lifted his head and looked around until he was staring at a table that was two tables to our left. He lifted his hand and I was staring at the table too. There were three guys sitting there, one I recognized at Ten, and the other two I figured was Mark and Jaehyun. The three started to wave enthusiastically and I realized they were waving at me. I smiled and waved back, albeit shyly, and nodded my head towards them. “Should we go say hi?” Johnny turned towards me before looking at them. 

 

“Do you want to? You don’t have to if you don’t want to.” I was about to answer, but the kids had captured our attention and we both were glancing between the two to understand where the conversation was going. The kids were talking about their day and their life for about twenty minutes, answering any questions Johnny had for them with a lot of excitement. Soon enough, my siblings had turned up and took their seats. Sitting next to Jeno was Anna, followed by Doyoung, Sora, and Taeyong. The area was covered in circular tables, covered in white cloth. The centerpiece was a vase filled with varying colors of lilies and roses with little candles surrounding it.  I looked towards the other table and realized there was no one else but those three. I placed my left hand on his arm to get his attention, but quickly took it off when I realized what  I just did. Johnny didn’t say anything, however, and turned towards me.

 

“I want to go say hi to your friends. Since my siblings are here, they can look after the kids.” Johnny looked at the other table and nodded his head before looking at me and smiling.

 

“Sure.” We both got up from the table and glanced at everyone at our table, who turned to look at us. 

 

“We’re just going to go say hi to a few people. We will be right back.” We excused ourselves and Johnny led me towards the table where his three friends were sitting.  I felt my shyness creeping in and walked a bit more hidden behind Johnny as we kept walking. Soon we reached the table and the three guys suddenly stood up seeing us. 

 

“Guys, meet Hana.” I stepped forward and moved my right hand to shake their hands. They sounded nice on the phone. A tall guy with light brown hair and a gentle smile stepped forward first and shook my hand.

 

“Hi, I’m Jaehyun.” I smiled before turning towards the guy in between Jaehyun and Ten.

 

“Then that must mean you’re Mark, right?” This one was slightly shorter than Jaehyun but his wide doe eyes stood out. He was also smiling really wide and shook my hand excitedly.

 

“HI! Yes, I’m Mark and it’s really nice to finally meet you. “ Aww he’s adorable.

 

“Are you all the same age as Johnny?” I looked around the four but Mark shook his head.

 

“No, Johnny and Ten are the same age. Jaehyun is a year younger than them and I’m a year younger than Jaehyun. I’m 23 years old.” Mark counted off on his fingers and I nodded my head before my eyes went wide. 

 

“Oh, I'm 23 too.” Mark looked really happy at that while the others looked shocked.

 

“You're the same age as Mark? Does that give us rights to tease you since you're our youngest.” I busted out laughing at Ten’s remark while Mark looked offended. 

 

“That’s not fair! And Hana how could you laugh at this? You need to tell them it’s not fair!” I shook my head and saw Mark pouting while Ten had a smirk on his face.

 

“If you want your head chopped off by Taeyong, then you're more than welcome to .” Everyone’s eyes went wide at Johnny, who had his arms crossed and raised his eyebrow. I giggled but shook my head again.

 

“No, I don’t think Taeyong will go that far...I hope.” I looked at my table and saw Taeyong was staring at our table with a frown. I cleared my throat and looked at the guys, who had grown extremely silent. “Oh, that’s right. Jaehyun, you said you wanted to meet my brother, yes?” Jaehyun nodded his head, but his face started to turn a bit red.

 

“Ahh yes, I wanted to talk with him about something, but that can be at another time. We don’t  really have to do that now.”

 

“Are you sure? I can go call him right now.” Jaehyun shook his head rapidly and I figured he would do that in his own time. I noticed more people start to gather in the room and figured we should go back to our seats. “I wish we had more time to talk with you, but I think the event is starting soon.” The guys had nodded their heads and I gave them one more smile. “I really would like to meet with all of you more properly in a more relaxed setting.” I turned my head towards Johnny, who was looking at the entrance with a frown. 

 

“Maybe sometime next week might be good. Like I mentioned before, you still need to know more about the guy you’re going to marry.” Ten leaned his head a bit closer to me and Johnny and placed a hand near his mouth. “You know, a warning.” Ten jerked back quickly when an arm came flying down at the area where his head was. Johnny looked irritated and I was laughing again with Mark and Jaehyun.

 

“Agreed.” I waved at the trio before Johnny and I had walked back to our table. We sat down but I had noticed Johnny not being attentive. He was fidgeting with his fingers and kept taking drinks out of the champagne glass that was placed at our table while glancing around. Worried, I tried to call his name a few times but he didn't seem to hear me. I looked up and noticed that no one else at the table was paying attention to us, so I placed my hand on his arm. That seemed to have got his attention because he whipped his head towards me with his eyes wide.

 

“Sorry, did you say something?” I shook my head but furrowed my eyebrows.

 

“Are you ok? You look a little pale.” Johnny heaved a sigh before placing a hand over where my hand was on his arm and squeezed it.

 

“Yes I’m fine. Don’t mind me.” I didn’t believe him but I didn’t push it. I heard a throat clear, and I looked up to see Taeyong glaring daggers at our hands. I quickly pulled my hand away as did Johnny and we seemed to have scooted a bit away from each other. Soon Jeno had taken my attention, and I looked over to see Jaemin animatedly talking to Johnny. The event had started after a few minutes and the speeches had gone on for a while. After about thirty minutes of sitting in pure boredom, I took my phone out of my clutch and texted Johnny.

 

“Well today was exciting. I’m really happy I got to meet you today. Along with your friends. I’m sorry about my brothers, especially Taeyong. He was like this towards Doyoung too but he really is a nice guy once you get to know him. “ I sent the message and placed my phone on the table, face down. A minute later, I saw Johnny pull out his phone from his blazer pocket, and frowned at it. His eyes went slightly wide, before opening it. He soon had a small smile on his face before his fingers flew across the keyboard. I soon heard my phone vibrate, and took it off the table to see a message from Johnny.

 

“No, I get it. They are your brothers so it’s only natural for them to act like that. And I was really glad I got to meet you too. I do wish you didn’t have to meet my friends though. In fact, I’m really glad you weren’t able to talk to them for long.” I covered my mouth while giggling at the message. “I know today was a little fast paced, but I would like to get to know you better, without the fancy setting. Maybe sometime next week?” I racked my brain for anything that I was busy with for the week, but aside from class, there wasn’t anything else that I had to do. 

 

“I have class till three everyday except Fridays, where I have the whole day off. Other than that, I don’t have anything else planned. “

 

“Cool, I’m free on Wednesday. Do you want to grab a late lunch around 5?” 

 

“Sure! If you have a place in mind, I can meet you there.”

 

No, I’ll come pick up around 4:30.” I stopped myself from replying and turned to look at him, who was looking back at me. I tilted my head slightly and mouthed out the word really, to which he shrugged. I turned my head back towards my phone and pursed my lips.

 

“Are you sure? I don’t mind driving there myself.”

 

“No it’s fine. I want to do it.” I could feel the blood rushing to my face and turned my face away from him so I could hide my face, although I’m pretty sure that was a fail.

 

“Stop texting and pay attention to the speech!!” I blinked at the message and clicked it to find that it was from Taeyong in the group chat. I looked up to notice Taeyong glaring at me and the other three on their phone. I raised my eyebrow at him before looking down and started tapping my screen furiously.

 

“You were already texting Sora when the speeches started! Let me talk to my fiance, you hypocritical donut!!!” I heard a choking sound followed by a slap and looked up to see Taeyong looking scandalized while Anna had covered and her shoulders heaved up and down. Doyoung looked terrified for Anna while Sora was giggling behind her hand. I stuck my tongue out at Taeyong before turning to look at Johnny, who was looking around the table with wide eyes. He turned his head towards me and tilted his head, which made me shake my head and turn my attention back to my phone. I took a screenshot of the conversation and sent it to Johnny before texting him again. 

 

“Don’t worry about my family. And ok, I will see you next Wednesday at 4:30.” I turned to look at Johnny, who looked like he was trying to hide his laughter by choking behind his fist. I heard applause from everywhere and looked up to see that the speeches were over and that meant the event was over too. We all stood up and I turned towards Johnny with a smile, who was already looking at me.

 

“Are you ok with 4:30?” I nodded my head at the question before grabbing my clutch to drop my phone in there.

 

“Yeah, I am. And you are absolutely sure you don't want me to drive there?” Johnny shook his head with a small smile, which I returned. 

 

“Well it was nice meeting you Johnny. I hope we will all see you again soon.” I heard Taeyong and turned around to see the whole family gathered behind me, meaning it was time to go. Johnny nodded his head towards them before looking at Taeyong.

 

“Likewise.” Johnny smiled at me again before turning around. I turned towards my family and we slowly walked towards the entrance where our cars would be brought to us.

 

“So did you have fun?” Sora had joined me at the back of the group and held my hand as we walked. I nodded my head at her before I squeezed her hand and smiled at everything that happened today. Today was great!