Chapter 5

From Strangers, To Not So Much

 

 

There was a knocking sound outside my room which woke me up from my sleep. I must have made some noise because the door opened and one of the maids came in to tell me that my mother had requested everyone's presence in an hour so we had to get up. I slowly got up to face the maid and tried to get my bearings straight before I got out of bed. I made my way to the restroom to freshen up before heading downstairs, when I heard the doorbell. 

That must be the kids. The time read 9:15 and figured my mother wanted everyone in the dining room at 10 so I quickly sped through my morning routine. I was the first one downstairs and had noticed my nephews sitting in the living room munching on some cookies and decided to scare them. I creeped up slowly behind them and made sure they couldn’t see me before I jumped up from behind.

“JENO! JAEMIN! GOOD MORNING!!!!” I yelled causing the fraternal twins to jump off the couch and turn around.

“AUNT HANA!” the kids ran around the couch towards me before diving in to give me a hug, which caused me to fall to the floor. We all laughed while I squeezed them for a good 10 seconds before letting them go.

“Goodness guys, look how tall you guys are getting! How have you been?” I looked at both of them and laughed as they tried to show off who was the tallest between the two. “Wait, who gave you the cookies this early?”

“Grandma!” they both replied. Of course she did. I ignored the comment for now and stood up when I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. We all turned to see their parents come down, followed by my sister and her husband. No one was smiling and I’m sure it was from last night's events at dinner but soon smiles bloomed on their face when they saw the kids.

“Mom! Dad!” They ran towards the others and glomped the two causing us all to laugh. After all of the hugs had been shared, we all sat in the dining room to wait for my parents to arrive. Typical, she expects us to be punctual but can’t even follow her own timeline. I cleared my throat and looked around, when I noticed the others not looking me in the eye and I heaved a sigh as I remembered last night's events. 

 “Three months is far too long. His parents and I agreed on one month.” my mother frowned at my siblings as she took a bite of her dinner. I choked on the piece of food I was eating and stared at my mother in horror. Apparently I wasn’t the only one horrified.

“Mother! She has to graduate in two months. How could you think it was ok to stress her out by adding a wedding on top of her trying to finish her degree!” My brother slammed his hand on the table and Sora quickly grabbed his other hand to calm him down. Doyoung, who was sitting next to me, quickly patted my back to stop coughing and Anna looked at me with worry. Doyoung handed me my glass of water before looking at my brother.

“I will plan her wedding!” My mother smiled at the statement and I choked on the water. Doyoung patted my back again and Anna quickly moved my plate and water away from me. 

“You what!?” I yelled once I stopped choking and stared at my mother. My mother gave me a look of disgust before she turned to my siblings with an excited smile and clapped her hands.

“Oh I’m so excited! I already have half of the things planned out and-” my mother's rant was cut off by my sister. 

“But mother, you can’t just plan her wedding. She has a taste that is completely opposite of yours.” My sister tried to reason with her, but my mother wasn’t having it.

“Mrs. Seo and I already decided to do it together so it’s already a fixed deal.” my sister started getting angry and tried again.

“But mother, it’s their day, not yours.” my mother's frown came back and glared at us.

“The decision has been made, and that’s final.” I was close to tears as I watched my life being dictated again.

“But mother-” I tried to say something but she cut me off.

“I said that’s final!” She turned her glare at me and I had to look down to avoid it.

“For once in your life, Hana, can’t you just listen to us?” My father grumbled and I felt that as my cue to leave. I quietly excused myself and left the table and went back quickly to my room. 

“Since when has she never listened to you?!” I heard my brother yell before I entered my room and closed the door. I just went straight to bed and cried that night.

“Guys I’m fine. You know them.” I tried to smile but they could all see I was far from fine. Sora was about to say something when we heard the heels of my mother's shoes come our way. I straightened my back and waited for my parents and hoped no one would say anything. 

“Good morning everyone!!! The dress fitting is scheduled at 12:30 so I wanted to leave the house by 11 in order for us to get to the shop and look around for a bit.” It was like last night didn’t even happen for them. I could feel the tension in the room and they didn’t seem to care. The doors that connected the kitchen to the dining room soon opened and the maids came out carrying the breakfast items. Before anyone could start, a maid placed a bowl of fruits in front of me and whispered an apology before she left. I didn’t say much because I was used to it, but I forgot my siblings weren’t.

“Why is she only eating fruit?” my brother questioned and I shook my head at him quickly signalling him to not ask.

“I told you, she needs to lose weight. I would rather she not eat this morning but I don’t want her slouching around today. But everyone else dig in.” My mother started serving herself and for my father too. I softly kicked my brother under the table and signalled for him to get the food for the kids. I started eating after that and ignored everyone else for that hour. My mother was being animatedly talking about anything and everything that she could talk to about my siblings. 

When my mom wasn’t looking however, Doyoung nudged me slightly. I looked over and he was holding a rolled up pancake with bacon inside it under the table. He signalled for me to take it and I had to stop a laugh from coming out. I looked at my parents and noticed no one was looking at me. I looked back towards my sister and her husband and snorted quickly when I saw her hand another pancake over to my brother in law. My brother heard me and quickly placed his finger to his mouth. He pointed at Sora, who was sitting right next to my mother, and I saw she was trying to distract them so I could eat. The kids were eyeing the whole interaction and got confused on what was going on, so I gave them the bacon and placed my finger to my lips to make them stay quiet. They happily took the bribe and ate quietly while I tried to sneak pieces of the pancake into my mouth before anyone noticed. When the clock struck 11, my mother quickly got up and I hid the pancake under the table. Doyoung grabbed it, however, and threw it onto his plate quickly before anything looked suspicious. I quickly grabbed my fork and dropped it to the floor. When I ducked under the table to retrieve it, I had to hold my hand against my mouth to smother my laughs at the craziness I was in for the past hour. Once I was calm enough, I got up from under the table and sat in my seat like nothing happened.  

“All right everyone, let's get going.” We all stood up at my mother’s command and headed to our rooms to get something before we left. When we got to the front door, my mother had turned to look at me. “Hana, there’s not enough room for you in our van so go in your own car. At least I don’t have to hear you complain about my weight the whole way to the store. I quickly pulled the keys out of my bag and showed them to my mom to show her I was prepared. 

“Kids, do you want to go with your grandparents or with us.” My brother turned towards his kids and asked. They thought about it and both pointed to my parents. “All right mom, We will go with Hana, you take the kids.” He ushered them towards my parents, who looked at him in shock. 

“Taeyong I am not letting your drive again.” I held the keys tightly to myself and hid my hand behind my back in disbelief. My brother pouted, before glancing at his wife, who was behind me. Before I could react, she snatched it and threw it at Anna, who threw it at Doyoung. “OK! Doyoung can drive!” 

“What?!” But the boys were already out the door with the kids and they were running towards the vehicles that were parked in the driveway. 

“I’m going to win, boys!” My brother yelled but the kids picked up their speed and quickly passed their uncle and father and slapped their hands against my car before the others ran over and hit my car.

“My car. My poor car” I mumbled to myself while my sisters laughed and dragged me to where my car was. My parents slowly followed behind us but I could tell they were upset their kids didn’t want to ride with them. 

“Jeno, Jaemin, are you sure you don’t want your mom and dad to come with us four. We will have lots of fun together.” My mother tried to bribe them but they, for some reason, shook their head.

“No we don’t want mom and dad with us.” I snickered behind my hand when my brother yelled in shock. My mother nodded her head, but she was still upset with everything. We all got into our cars and started down the path towards the shop. The shop was about 45 minutes away, which gave my siblings time to start plotting...again. Everyone was quiet and Taeyong had the radio, which was our source of entertainment for about 20 minutes. 

“So I asked Taeil to look into John Seo’s file,” my sister calmly stated and I whipped my head towards her.

“You told Taeil about this wedding?!”  I should have known they would tell the private investigator in our family what was going on, but come on! “How much of our family knows about this now?” my sister smiled, but there was an evil intent behind it.

“Oh everyone at this point. Didn’t you see the group chat?” She raised her eyebrow at me and my eyes went wide when I realized I hadn’t checked my phone at all since last night. I quickly whipped out my phone and saw about 192 messages in the chat. I made an inhumane sound and opened the chat to see a bunch of emojis that ranged from angry and irritated to emojis that contained party poppers and fireworks. A few were asking for dates and a bunch of them contained information about how they will rip my potential fiance apart. 

“This is what happens when you are the youngest out of all the cousins.” Sora pointed out when she noticed my face pale. 

“What did Taeil say babe?” Doyoung asked and Taeyong turned around to focus on Anna. 

“He said that John was the only son and the heir to the Seo family and has a clean record. He is two years older than Hana and graduated last year with a masters in business.  He has a completely clean record. He has done nothing to get in trouble with the law.” 

“Well that puts my conscience at ease.” Sora commented. My brother however snorted and shook his head in disbelief. 

“His record is too perfect. Isn’t that kind of suspicious?” I glared at my brother in irritation before I retaliated.

“Jeez Taeyong, am I suspicious too since I have a clean slate.” My brother turned to look at me and I raised my eyebrows at him.

“You know none of us would ever let you break that record.” I rolled my eyes at that and turned my head to look out the window. 

“I really think we should talk to him Saturday.” Doyoung looked at Taeyong and I could see their version of talk was not the one I wanted. I looked towards Anna and Sora, but they did nothing to correct their spouses and frowned. Anna suddenly looked towards me and I flinched.

“Yes?” I was suddenly scared at what Anna would propose because she soon had a smile that did not look pleasant.

“All four of us could talk to him before he talks to you. Or just not let him talk to you at all on Saturday.” Taeyong yelled out a “Perfect” and this was getting out of hand.

“Guys we need to talk to see how to handle this marriage. I highly doubt I would see him again after Saturday, except for a short period of time.”There was a nervous chuckle from the front and I glanced at Taeyong, who wasn’t looking at me in the eye.

“About that. The Saturday after this one, our parents and his parents are hosting a party to announce yours and his engagement.” The car was filled with silence and I sat there trying to wrap my head around the news. I opened my mouth a couple times to say something, but nothing was forming. Everyone kept glancing at me to see my face but I just bit my lip and looked away.

“Hana?” I looked at Sora, who had a gentle smile on her face. “ I know your parents said you have to get married in one month. Did you talk to him about that?” I widened my eyes as I had completely forgotten to mention anything to him about what my mother said last night. I went to his name on my phone to text him about the new news but Anna stopped me before I could say anything.

“Lets wait to say anything for now. You're going to tell him about your dress color later today right? Just mention it then so he won't stress about it for now.” I thought about it and figured she was right and let it go for now.