Chapter 1

From Strangers, To Not So Much

 

"You're marrying John from the Seo family," you blinked at the words your mom just dropped on you.

"I'm sorry, come again?" there was no way in hell she said I was getting married into one of the most prominent families in the country. Just the topic of marriage was brought up a week ago. I didn't think she would mention it again so soon. Our wealth was no joke either, but to get married into one of the top five families, my mom bust be insane. "I don't think I heard you properly. I'm getting married to who?". I leaned my ear closer to my parents just to make sure I wasn't hearing things. 

"You know the Seo family, right? They are owners of the five hospitals in this city alone. Their only son, John, is looking  for a bride and we thought we would combine our businesses together through your marriage." I just blinked at my mother in shock.

"HUH?!" I looked over at my father, who did not look like he cared one bit about our conversation and was messing around on his phone.

“Dad? What do you think about all of this?” I asked my father in hopes of him disagreeing with this ridiculous idea, but as usual my hopes were crushed.

“I think it’s a great idea to merge the businesses together. And what a better way to do it than through marriage.” I closed my eyes at the statement and felt the anxiety grow inside of me. I was the youngest of three, but I wasn’t as spoiled as the older two. My brother Taeyong, who is the oldest, took over half of my fathers’ businesses to continue in the next city. My sister Anna, who is the middle child, and I split the remaining half of the business to “merge with our spouses” as my father would say. The two always stood out wherever they went. My brother was a pro athlete and graduated from college as valedictorian in business. He was also incredibly handsome. My sister was an amazing lawyer and one of the top sought out lawyers in the state. She was gorgeous and graceful compared to the other females in our social class.

Then theres me, Hana, the dreamer. I was the average kid who passed all her classes and was awkward with everyone. I’m not even that pretty to look at. Considering everyone in my age group of the social class looked down on me for my lack of grace. Let’s just say, I was not the typical spoiled third child. But that never stopped my siblings from doting on me when they get a chance. Even after they got married, they would come visit me or take me to their home to spend time with them. I love their spouses even more, however. My brother’s wife, Sora, was such as sweet, loving, person who loved me as her own sister. As a housewife, Sora would be home to keep me company when my brother would leave for work. She would take me out for walks in the parks when my brother was busy, and we would just talk about anything and everything. They even have five-year-old twins who really know how to get you in shape with the constant running they make you do, but I love them dearly.

Then theres Doyoung, my sisters’ husband. He was also an owner of his own company and he is one of the chilliest guys I know. My sister is completely insane and hyper most of the time, I’m surprised she hasn’t scared Doyoung off. Doyoung also treats me like a little sister, but he is a bit more calm compared to my brother. But the thing is, if my brother is angry, we will know he is, and how he will handle his anger. When Doyoung is angry, we don’t know, and its terrifying how he handles his anger because he becomes this demon that cannot calm down. Well unless if my sister talks to him.

These four know about my shy situation so they try to bring me out of my shell. My parents, however, are not as understanding. In their eyes, I’m a nuisance, someone who will never reach the top for how I am and how I look. I never let it bother me, of course until now. Both of my siblings had arranged marriages, but they both were able to talk to their spouses and get to know them before tying the knot. I don’t have that privilege as I am a lost cost, according to my parents.

“Does he even know what I look like?” This guy was part of the popular crew. Not only that, he was the silent type that never really let people know what they are thinking. Many girls were after him, so I highly doubt he would agree to this marriage.

“He does actually. He was the one that called us and asked if he could court you.” I should not have taken a sip of water because I ended up choking and spitting it back out. Mother looked disgusted by my action and shook her head.

“He asked you for permission to court me? Are you sure? What if his parents forced him to do it?” My head was spinning a mile a minute. Why would he want to court me when there are so many better women out there? He must have been forced too. That’s the only logical reason!

“Look I don’t know, nor do I care. We have a fitting scheduled for the afternoon tomorrow for your dress. This dress should be the right one for the ball this weekend. Do try to keep your weight in check darling?” My mom rose from her seat and walked away from the tea room.

“Does Taeyoung and Anna know about this?” I asked my father in hopes of knowing I wouldn’t be going through this alone. And again, my hopes were crushed…typical.

“Ah no, were we supposed to tell them? You can do that on your own time. I am too busy for this.” My father also left the room to shut himself in his study, most probably. I could feel the burn in my eyes from the stress building up from this and immediately ran to my room to get my car keys. I left the house in a frenzy and called my brother as I was starting my car. He seemed to be the right person to call right now for this situation. I just have to remember to be home before the afternoon.

“Hello?”

“Taeyoung!” I sobbed into the phone by accident. Well theres no way I can hide it now.

“Hana? Whats wrong? Why are you crying?” He sounded frantic and I could hear Sora in the background asking him whats going on.

“Are you home? I really need to talk to you.” I needed to pull myself together. I should be used to having my life being dictated and molded for perfection, but this was too much.

“Yeah I am home, come over.”

“Great! See you soon!” I hung up the phone and sped down the highway towards his house.  Why am I the puppet? Out of all the things they could do to me, they decided to sell me off to make their business bigger. Ahh I hate everything!