Puppy Crush

The Cowards, Beauties & Bolds

“So, what is it you want to discuss with us Nako-chan?” Yena questioned.

“Well what do you guys think of when it’s the month of February?” Nako started.

“Valentine’s Day!” all of them shouted enthusiastically at the answer in unison.

Wonyoung smirked behind the camera. “Aren’t you forgetting something Yujin unnie?”

Yujin shot her a puzzled look. “What is it?”

“It’s also Minju unnie’s birthday. You didn’t forget, did you?” Wonyoung playfully gasped.

Yujin immediately flushed red.

The other girls grinned upon seeing that. They knew that Yujin had been crushing on Kim Minju ever since they went to the same high school but she still hasn’t approach nor talk to the older girl yet. Even when they went to the same university.

“Why are you bringing that up Wonnie? That’s not important right now.” Yujin protested.

“It is important Yujinnie because that’s also what I want to talk about tonight as well. Will Yujin finally give her crush her birthday present this year?” Nako chimed in, joining in on the fun of teasing the younger girl. The others broke out in laughter.

“Why are you guys like this?” Yujin whined as she covered her face in embarrassment.

“Does the presents come with a confession as well?” Hyewon teased.

The younger girl scowled at her unnie before mumbling something under her breath.

Unfortunately, Yena who sat next to her heard it.

“You don’t know? Well why didn’t you say so? We can help you with that Yujinnie.”

“Yah!” Yujin couldn’t get any redder than before and another round of laughter occurred.

Nako then cleared trying to get all of their attention again. “We’re getting side tracks here. Yujin we’ll continue with that one after this. Right now, let get to the main point.”

She purposely ignored the playful look Hyewon was giving to her and continued on.

“Wonnie and I have been discussing some stuff for the past couple of days and we thought maybe it’s a good idea that for the upcoming Valentine’s Day, we’ll hold out a performance of a sort but first we wanted to run it with you guys. So how about it?”

That piqued the other four girls’ interest.

“What kind of performance we’re talking about here?” Chaeyeon asked.

“Any kind of performance unnie.” Wonyoung replied. “That is if all of you aren’t busy with assignments and deadlines.”

“For the record, we still haven’t picked any date and venue but the time will be probably around 7pm or 8pm. Whatever suits you guys.” Nako clarified.

“We’ll have to check our schedules first for this but if possible, I want to do it.” Chaeyeon determinedly said to which the other girls nodded in agreement with her as they too felt the same way.

Honestly, they haven’t thought of it before, not until Nako and Wonyoung brought it up to them. Now just even the thought of planning for their upcoming event was already making them excited.

“How about a dance performance then?” Chaeyeon suggested.

“Yeah literally the only thing we’re good at.” Yena joked.

And so, for the next couple of hours, the girls had a brief discussion among themselves from checking in all of their classes and assignments for the upcoming days leading to the 14th to coming up with their own ideas for their dance performance from songs choices, choreographies (led by Chaeyeon and Yena), concepts and outfits. Nako and Wonyoung also contributed their own ideas.

By the end of the session, the whiteboard didn’t have much space for them to write anymore.

After much deliberation, they finally decided the date and venue for it which was on the 13th February and would be held at the mini auditorium.

“Right. Looks like I’ll have to write a letter to Eunbi for the use of the auditorium.” Nako wrote it down in her notebook.

Hyewon immediately perked up at the mention of the name. “Want me to accompany you Nako-chan?”

Nako smiled knowing what her friend’s intention was for going with her. Could even see the sparkles in her unnie’s eyes as well. “No thanks Kang-chan. I’m sure you have class early tomorrow morning. I’ll go with Wonnie instead.”

Hearing that the older girl just slumped her shoulders and sulked silently at the side.

“Now for our next topic of discussion.” Wonyoung giddily clapped her hands. “Yujin unnie! Want to share with us what’re you planning to give to Minju unnie’s birthday and also for Valentine’s Day?”

For the second time that night, Yujin turned beet red again. “I hate all of you.”

***

“You two are taking this rather seriously.” Minju said but her remark was blissfully ignored by the two girls seated on the living room floor. Their fingers flew as they repeatedly smashed the PS4 controller buttons. Their eyes were focused solely on the screen as their game avatars battled it out.

She sighed, used to being ignored like this. This had been going on for nearly half an hour now and yet both girls were still at it especially Yuri who initiated the challenge to her roommate Sakura in the first place. For what reason? She really didn’t know.

“Yuri-ah.” Minju called out to her friend. She knew she shouldn’t bring it up at a time like this but considering what she had seen, she couldn’t just stay silent knowing her friend was actually silently suffering.

Is that why she’s challenging Sakura tonight knowing the older girl would always win every time?

The mentioned girl just hummed in response, not wanting to get distracted.

“Aren’t you going to tell us what happened with Yena a few hours earlier?”

Yuri immediately tensed up. Her grip on the controller tightened.

Sakura swung her head at her, a shocking expression on her face. She paused the game. “What?”

“You saw it then.” Yuri stated, her back still towards Minju.

“From what I’d seen the conversation looked intense and you looked upset the entire time.” Minju noted. It wasn’t only her who had witnessed it but also several students who were passing by. What started off as a confrontation of a sort between Yuri and Yena ended with the former walking away quite angrily. The latter just looked dispirited and frustrated from the situation before heading off in the opposite direction.

Yuri winced. She blew out a breath before finally facing her two friends. “We met by chance in the hallway. I accidentally dropped my books because they were too heavy and she helped me carried them to my locker.” She explained.

However, the encounter was anything but cordial between them like Minju had stated. Yuri was still hurt by Yena’s actions a week ago which eventually led to their break up. The pain of it was still fresh.

Yuri could feel a pair of blazing eyes staring at the back of her head but she paid it no mind as she continued to put inside her books and retouched on her make-up.

“Really? No thank you or anything?” Yena snarled.

Yuri couldn’t help but rolled her eyes right then.

“You didn’t have to help me just now. I would have been just fine carrying them all on my own.” She fired back.

Annoyed by now, she purposely slammed her locker door and attempted to bypass the older girl but her path was blocked.

“Move!” she shouted at Yena which garnered her looks from several students but she didn’t care.

Yena merely crossed her arms on her chest in an act of defiance. “We need to talk.”

Really now? “There’s nothing to talk about.”

Yena scoffed. “I beg to differ. We still need to talk about why I was late that day. I can explain.”

Yuri heard the pleading in her tone. The way Yena’s face had softened to the point of begging but she refused to be swayed. “I listen to one many explanation of yours and you know what? I’m tired of hearing them. I know why you’re late every time. Maybe it’s a good thing we broke up. I got sick for always waiting on you!”

With that last statement, she stormed off and this time, Yena didn’t stop her. She never thought she would say those words but she did. Too late for her to take it back.

Yuri didn’t even realize the tears had slid off of her cheeks until she felt Sakura hug her.

“It’s going to be ok Yuri-ah. Just give it time.” She soothed and softly kissed the younger girl on the forehead. Yuri broke down right then and there, wailing.

Sakura and Minju were silent as they let their friend cried her hearts out.

At first all of them didn’t know about the breakup but they noticed how Yuri was behaving quite strange. Often, they found her spacing out a lot or when heading to class, she took the longer route. She had also been ignoring any incoming texts and calls from Yena. It took a lot of prying and persistence from them before Yuri finally confessed.

The girls were speechless as soon as they learned of this. Though the reason for their breakup may came off as petty for other people but if they knew the amount of times Yena had Yuri waiting for their dates was really infuriating with the reason that she’s always engrossed playing games with Hyewon that she didn’t check her phone until later.

What’s worst was the breakup occurred on what was supposed to be their 100th days of dating.

Even though that’s the case, the girls couldn’t hate Yena for it because other than her tardiness and she can came off as childish at times, she really did treat Yuri quite well during their relationship.

“She’s asleep.” Sakura whispered to Minju. Yuri had apparently dozed off, exhausted from all those crying.

“Hope they work everything between them after this.” Minju smiled as she watched Sakura carried Yuri to her bed.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

A/N : Aha! I had fun writing this chapter especially the teasing scenes and the yenyul backstories XD