Scandalous

The Cowards, Beauties & Bolds

Minju looked on worriedly at Yujin who had her face slumped down on the coffee table. She had been in that exact position for a couple of minutes now, obviously embarrassed by her action.

She felt so bad at Yujin and strongly wanted to comfort her but didn’t know what to say or do as she’s not really good at these sorts of things except being just a listener to her friends’ worries and even if she did, it would probably make the situation more awkward than before plus with them having an audience.

It didn’t help Yujin’s situation too what’s with Yena and Yuri who were currently cuddle up on the couch next to hers were snickering waiting for the younger girl to look up and probably more about what just happened. Her Sakura unnie was also not helping as she not so discreetly tried to muffle her laughter by hiding her face behind one of the pillows and sending a funny look at Minju.

She sighed. If Minju was being honest with herself here, a small part of her was glad actually that Chaeyeon teased Yujin. Her reaction basically confirmed that Yujin very much indeed still like her. Not that Minju doubted her from the video but it’s still reassuring to witness it in front.

So cute.

If only she knew and said something to her back then in high school. Her feelings would have been definitely reciprocated from Minju’s part.

Suddenly, the bedroom door burst opened, making them all jumped in their seats. Swivelling their heads, they watched as Hyewon dashed out to the living room and leaped up on the couch, startling all of them especially Yujin and Minju who were nearby. The latter yelped in surprise.

With her back bracing against the wall, Hyewon was grinning from ear to ear looking anticipatingly at the direction of the bedroom as if waiting for something or more specifically someone to come out.

And she was right because not long after they heard a familiar voice shouting.

“KANG HYEWON! GET BACK HERE!”

All of them turned their head again and this time, a red faced Eunbi walked out, breathing quite heavily and hair muss. She was also shooting daggers at Hyewon, her anger palpable for all of them to see.

“NO!” Hyewon defiantly replied, poking her tongue out mocking the older girl.

“YAH!”

A smirk came on Hyewon’s lips as she added. “Besides, it’s not my fault I walked in and you were undressing yourself at the time. How was I supposed to know?”

Hearing that, the other girls in the room immediately all gasped with Yuri, Minju and Sakura especially staring scandalously at their Eunbi unnie who turned even more beet red as she covered her face with her hand not only because Hyewon revealing that fact but also to avoid the judgemental looks and reactions her friends were giving her.

“UNNIE! WHAT DID SHE MEAN BY THAT?” Yuri questioned, nearly shouting along with them.

“When did this happen unnie?” Minju calmly asked.

“EXPLAIN YOURSELF!” Sakura demanded.

Eunbi never wanted to scream more than she ever was at that moment.

***

The sound of the door being flung opened coming from the other side of the apartment followed up by a female voice shouting a specific girl’s name made Chaeyeon rolled her eyes and shook her head disappointedly in her room.

Peace was literally never an option.

At least, it most definitely didn’t apply to her today. Lucky for her. Not.

Chaeyeon sighed as she gazed up at the ceiling. She had practically abandoned all hope of sleeping again the moment she realised her eyes were not going to close anytime soon and she kept tossing and turning around in bed. Now with the commotions outside, she’s not even going to start.

And she most definitely was NOT curious at all what’s going on outside lest she wanted to be drag into another mess. Moreover, Sakura was still there in the living room. God, it took all of Chaeyeon not to stare at her again for the final time before retreating back to her room in the pretence of wanting to go back to sleep which was only half-truth.

She was also eating her hearts out alone in her room. Chaeyeon knew she had no right to feel this way in the first place and yet here she was, still pretty much upset and jealous at the thought that someone had already occupied the older girl’s heart and no one had an idea who that person was.

Turning on her side, she let out a frustrated breath as her mind kept replaying all those moments she secretively glimpsed at Sakura whenever she saw her on campus. The many opportunities she had missed during the event of the music festival last year. There was that one time when…….

“Besides, it’s not my fault I walked in and you were undressing yourself at the time. How was I supposed to know?”

That instantly snapped Chaeyeon out of her thoughts as she jolted up on the bed, staring wide-eyed at the gaping door.

WHAT?

***

Wonyoung couldn’t wipe the smile out of her face as she skipped along, carrying several plastic bags in her hands alongside the three older girls who looked at her warily at the side. If the neighbours saw her, they could probably see the flowers circling around her considering the day was a day of special celebration.

Her mood greatly improving for what was about to happen later on. Yes. She exudes that much happiness except it not for the reason they thought it would be.

Wonyoung really can’t wait to see how it will turn out and to see the priceless reactions on Yujin’s face.

This is payback Ahn Yujin!

“Whatever it is you’re planning on doing, I hope it goes well.” Chaewon muttered.

Wonyoung glanced at the girl next to her and smiled.

“It will.” She confidently replied, growing somewhat at ease with the older girl. Maybe it’s a good thing she had known about her feelings as long as Chaewon didn’t question or probe her any further on it for the current moment even though a part of her also knew it will come up maybe in the near future.

“I just texted Saku-chan to tell her we’re going to arrive soon and to open the door for us.” Hitomi informed them.

All of them stopped in their track when nearing their destination, they saw an elderly had woman stood outside the front door with a hesitant look on her face.

Nako and Wonyoung instantly recognised who she was as their next-door neighbour. She lived with her husband and on occasion would ask the girls to babysit her two grandchildren which they willingly accept and in return, the woman would give them homecooked meals.

“Miss Seo. What are you doing here? Is something the matter?” Nako approached her first with Wonyoung following behind her.

The elderly woman turned and a look of relief passed on her face at seeing the sight of the two girls. “Oh! Nako. Wonyoung. I’m so glad to see you girls” She greeted and smiled at them. “Nothing is wrong. It’s just well…...” she paused momentarily.

“Well what Miss Seo?” Wonyoung prompted, looking at her a bit worriedly.

“Well could you tell your friends to quiet down a bit in there? I don’t know what they’re doing but there’s been a lot of screaming to be heard today. Much more than the usual really.”

Nako gaped at her before slowly turning her questioning gaze up to Wonyoung who diverted her gaze away.

From behind them, Chaewon smirked.

Good times.

Miss Seo continued. “And I also heard another voice I didn’t recognise screaming quite angrily just now. It sounds threatening too. Is everything alright?”

Just then the door opened and Sakura’s head peeked out from behind. She slowly stepped out of the doorway and was surprised when she saw Miss Shin first before her gaze moved to the other four girls.

An awkward silence fell upon them as their eyes were on her.

“Umm….” Sakura started, trying to break the tension but not knowing what to say.

It was Nako who did.

“Everything is alright Miss Seo and I apologised for the sudden……. ruckus this morning. That voice you heard was probably from one of our guests today. She doesn’t mean any harm by it.” Nako said, hoping the older woman buy it. Nako could only think of one person who’s able to outshout both Yena and Yujin. “Again, we’re really sorry.” She bowed.

However, Miss Seo seemed to still have her doubts if the expression on her face were anything to go by. Finally, she left them after much assurances from Nako and Wonyoung.

Nako exhaled a breath then faced back at the other girls, asking directly at Wonyoung. “What the heck happened while I was gone Wonyoung-ah?”

Wonyoung shrugged nonchalantly. “What do you think happen? It’s exactly what you expected and wanted it to be unnie.”

Sakura folded her arms on her chest and casually leaned back against the door. She mumbled. “Oh! Quite a lot had happened. If you only knew.”

Two contrasting answers and each with their own meaning especially the last remark made by Sakura.

“I know Wonyoung-ah. I mean I had a brief idea how Yena unnie, Yujin and you would react but not until this point that we get a noise complaint.” She gestured with her hands, obviously referring to Miss Seo’s presence in front of their door. “What really happened?”

Wonyoung pursed her lips, eyes roaming around purposely stalling herself from answer and secretly hoping someone to save her. Thankfully someone did.

“I think it’s better for you to come inside and see for yourself.” Sakura answered in her stead which made Nako frowned and uneasy.

Sakura picked up some of the plastic bags from Nako and Hitomi’s hands, inhaling the scent of food.

As all of them peeled off their shoes in the doorway, Nako asked Sakura this time around. “What really happened today Saku-chan?”

Even Wonyoung, Chaewon and Hitomi were intrigued too.

Sakura smiled and tipped back her head behind, motioning them to just follow which they did. When they reached the living room area, all of them practically halted in their steps the moment they heard….

“YOU’RE NOT ALLOWED TO TOUCH ME FOR ONE WHOLE WEEK KANG HYEWON!”

“WHAT? BABE NO!”

Nako could only sighed in resignation.

***

An array of foods packed in containers along with the side dishes were taken out one by one from the plastic bags and placed on the coffee table. The aforementioned foods consisted of kimchi pancakes, rolled omelet, steamed egg, kimchi fried rice and other hearty breakfast meals. The sheer amount of it were fit enough to feed the number of people that morning. The sodas soon followed, bought at the nearest convenience store.

Just from the sight and scents of foods alone were already making some of the girls salivating as they waited patiently for Nako, Hitomi and Eunbi to finish sorting everything out.

For Nako and Hitomi, both girls knew they couldn’t go home empty handed. Knowing her roommates were probably still in shock of seeing the guests and most definitely still feeling betrayed by her, Nako decided to order takeouts for all of them including her guests to make amends of a sort. Hitomi chipped in too and both splurge a bit. Also, it’s Valentine’s Day. Why not?

“Alright everyone. Dig in.” Nako announced. Even before she could even finish her sentence, some of them were already eating. She had put away Chaeyeon’s food away at the side since Yena told her Chaeyeon was currently sleeping at the moment.

She sat down on the wooden floor opposite of Hitomi and ate her share of the food. As she took a bite of the kimchi pancake, her gaze looked around the table. She felt her lips curled to a smile as she just noticed their seating arrangement with each of them being paired off.

Coincidence?

She didn’t think so.

It’s definitely a good thing she secretly send that video to Eunbi and her friends, consequences be damned.

Taking this as her chance, she quietly studied them with the first couple being Yena and Yuri who were currently bantering with each other. She didn’t know the full story of what had happened that led to them getting back together but she’s so glad and grateful they did because now Nako wouldn’t see grumpy Yena anymore.

The next couple would be Wonyoung and Chaewon. From the looks of it, Wonyoung seemed to grow a lot more comfortable with Chaewon than before. She could only imagine Wonyoung’s reaction when her feelings were revealed. Though she knew it’s none of her business, it didn’t stop Nako from wondering what’s Wonyoung next step was going to be or maybe better yet what’s Chaewon going to do about it? Chaewon does seem to like Wonyoung well enough from what she had seen.

Then there’s Yujin and Minju who were being quiet and shy around each other. Now this couple reminded Nako a lot of a puppy love. Fitting too that Yujin has a puppy-like for a personality being that she can be a ball of energy at times especially with Yena and Hyewon. Considering she also had a crush and admired Minju for a long time, yeah definitely made her think of a puppy adoring her owner. She wouldn’t be surprised if in the near future Yujin pulled out the puppy dog eyes to get away with something from Minju.

The last couple, Hyewon and Eunbi. For this one, Nako had no comment due them having somewhat a complicated relationship for her brain to understand. However, she did note that Hyewon appeared to be sulking and kept poking on her food looking as if not having an appetite to eat which was a first in Nako’s book. Only Kwon Eunbi would be able to affect her this way. Her gaze moved to Eunbi who’s currently chewing on her food while scrolling something on her phone and so obviously ignoring Hyewon.

Her eyes next shifted next towards the girl next to Eunbi, sitting by her lonesome without someone to talk to in front of her. Her dark expression and grumbling were already telling enough on how she felt about being surrounded by couples around her. Nako couldn’t help but pity her especially being that in this situation she’s not the third wheel but an eleventh wheel.

If only Chaeyeon wasn’t sleeping, at least Sakura wouldn’t be left alone.

For the next couple of minutes, they were busy eating and chatting, getting to know one another. That was until Minju asked outloud a very important question to them.

“So, who does Chaeyeon unnie like?”

Literally all (except Hyewon) of them stopped whatever it was they were doing and stared at her making Minju shift uncomfortably in her seat. She wondered if she shouldn’t have asked about it in the first place. Not her fault that question just randomly popped in her head. Plus, weren’t all of them were curious too?

Sakura, especially, perked up when she heard that question while Hyewon pretended to not hear that question, continuing to finish her food. Though on the outside she looked expressionless but inside, she was gloating.

Her question remained unanswered. Hyewon could already see what’s going to happen next and it wasn’t long when she felt all eyes in the room bore on her including Eunbi.

She gazed at each one of them rather innocently before a smug expression crossed her features. “Curious, aren’t you? Well sorry I can’t answer that question. If you want to know, ask her yourself.”

Her mini triumph unfortunately was short lived when they merely blinked at her answer like they were already expecting it. They then shifted their gaze at Eunbi, looking at her for help.

It hit her right there that she wasn’t the only who knew of Chaeyeon’s secret now.

Surely, she wouldn’t, would she?

A slow smile curved Eunbi’s lips with eyes glinting evilly making Hyewon gulped nervously. She had a bad feeling all of a sudden. She was right though because…….

“The no touching rule will extend to one whole month if you don’t answer that question Hyewon-ah.” Eunbi calmly said.

“It’s Sakura.” Hyewon blurted out. Realising what she had done, she immediately slapped her hands over and internally cursed at herself.

Damn it!

“WHAT?”

Except for Sakura, Eunbi and Hyewon, all of the other girls shouted at the same time, staring in shell shock at Hyewon at first and to Sakura the next. The latter herself was left speechless and stunned much like the others.

“It’s true.” Eunbi simply confirmed.

“How did you know that unnie?” Hitomi asked.

“She said so to me herself.”

“Huh?” All of them exclaimed confusedly. Her answer didn’t make sense. As far as they knew Chaeyeon never say it outright for them to hear.

Eunbi tipped up her soda for a sip, preparing herself. She started. “Remember when she said she was more interested in a friend of mine than Hyewon last time?”

Yuri, Minju, Chaewon and Sakura vigorously nodded in confirmation, impatient apparent on their faces.

For both Nako and Hitomi, they were fascinated at this piece of information. This was the first time they heard of it. Just how much did they miss out?

Same with Wonyoung, Yujin and Yena who were more bemused than ever and forgetting they were busy having their secret discussion when it happened.

“She did?” Yena asked.

Yuri shushed her in response.

Eunbi nodded. “She did. Well, to be more precise she whispered it to me. The friend she was referring to was actually you Sakura. In fact, she was staring at you for quite a while before confirming it to me. From what I have seen, I can definitely say she was more than interested in you.”

Their jaws dropped.

Meanwhile Hyewon remained tight lipped, letting Eunbi talk. The damages had already been done. Nothing much she could do. Although she did get a kick from watching their reactions.

“So then what was the song Chaeyeon unnie was humming to in the video?” Wonyoung wondered out loud.

Eunbi smirked, leaning on her elbows on the table.

“Yeah Hyewon. What was the song that reminded Chaeyeon of Sakura?” Eunbi questioned throwing back the question Hyewon asked to Chaeyeon. She was clearly enjoying watching Hyewon being put on the spot.

I’m sorry Chaeyeon but she had the upper hand on me. “The song was called Cherry Blossom Ending by Busker Busker. In Japanese, what does Cherry Blossom translate to?”

All of their eyes widened at the realisation registered.

For Sakura, she was reeling from these facts alone. Scenes and snippets of conversations from the video started to play in her mind of Chaeyeon coyly describing the person’s identity to her leaving her friends hanging in the end much to all of their frustrations.

Not only that, she was also reminded of the time when watching the video Nako send to them, Sakura was literally on the edge of seat trying to find out who Chaeyeon likes and feeling a stab of jealousy when she complimented Minju.

“However, I will admit. I only volunteered last year because of her.”

“I would feel demotivated if she’s not there.”

“It’s an endearing part of her.”

“There is. (starts humming tune)”

“The song was called Cherry Blossom Ending by Busker Busker. In Japanese, what does Cherry Blossom translate to?”

All along Chaeyeon was talking about me!

As if finally seeming to snap out of it, the girls watched as Sakura’s expression tightened to anger. She surged to her feet, marching towards the direction of the bedroom.

“Does that mean she-” Yujin didn’t manage to complete her question before Hitomi answered it. “Yes. Saku-chan likes Chaeyeon. It was apparent from the start.”

“EH?”

Now all of them whirled their heads to Hitomi. She found it amusing especially her friends didn’t catch on it in the first place.

“Chaeyeon is so dead.” Yena stated and they all absentmindedly nodded. They resumed back to eating, not caring much what will happen to Chaeyeon.

Just when they thought to hear Chaeyeon’s beautiful scream, they were proven wrong when instead of her, it was Sakura’s.

Rushing towards the bedroom, they gawked at what they had seen inside from the entrance.

There on the bed, Chaeyeon hovered above Sakura with the former managing to pin the latter’s arms at the side of her head. She was obviously trying to get away but was unsuccessful in her attempt.

Both girls turned towards their audiences with Sakura looking all kind of flushed and panicked while Chaeyeon had a mischievous look on her face as she addressed them, “Do you mind?”

“None at all. Enjoy you two.” Hyewon jovially answered and closed the door in on them.

.

.

.

.

.

.

So the reason I didnt upload last month was because I have been quite busy lately but hey I managed it in the end :'> For the upcoming chapters, I will do my best to upload them before the end of the year as I have other projects I needed to do. (Disclaimer : Don't get your hopes up please. May or may not be fanfic related. I'm still thinking XD) 

Do leave some comments if you like as I love reading them :)