Mine

The Cowards, Beauties & Bolds

The moment she heard the door got locked, Eunbi felt herself suddenly being pulled into a hug.

“I’m sorry.”

Hyewon buried her face on her neck as she said those words.

Hearing it, Eunbi’s face softened. She wrapped her arms around Hyewon’s waist in return. It felt really nice being in her arms again.

I miss this.

There’s a moment of silence between them as both savoured each other’s warmth and comfort before Eunbi quietly asked, “You’re not really sorry, are you?”

Hyewon pulled back, gazing down at her rather innocently but her eyes couldn’t hide the mischievousness behind it.

The younger girl gave her a sheepish smile, her arms still on Eunbi’s waist. “What do you think?”

Eunbi shook her head. She knew her alright.

Hyewon released her before tugging her on to the bed. Hyewon sat first. She patted at the spot next to her to Eunbi who briefly hesitated before obliging in the end.

Another bout of silence. Eunbi fidgeted with her hands. She swallowed nervously. “I’m sorry Hyewon.”

Hyewon didn’t reply to that. She did however place her hand on top of the older girl’s offering her silent support and prodding her to continue.

A rueful smile curved her lips at that action. She continued, “I guess it’s a no brainer by now how I felt you. You know I actually thought I hidden them quite well all these times but the jokes were on me because apparently you knew of them all along. What an idiot I am.”

She snorted. “You were right in saying I’m a coward. I was in denial of my feelings because you see, I went through…...kind of a similar experience like this before with my previous girlfriend years ago. Her name was Sian. We were introduced to each other by one of our mutual friends who went to the same college as me. I was surprised to find out that we actually took the same course together and embarrassed too because I didn’t recognise her all these times. We hit it off that night.

Of course, it started off as purely a friendship between us. She’s really kind and thoughtful of the people around her. We would help each other out with pretty much anything you can think of. We were practically glued to the hip as my friend would say back then and you know overtime, I realised I wanted to be more than just her friend. You don’t know how it scared me at first when I have that realisation because there’s a big chance, she might reject me and that would make our friendship awkward or worse ruined it. In the end, I didn’t care.

So, one day I confessed to her, already expecting a rejection. Shockingly enough, she admitted that she felt the same way with me. Thus, started a two-year relationship. Though it had its up and down, for the most part I was really happy because that was my first ever serious relationship and I really genuinely thought it would last.

Unfortunately, I was the only who think of it like that. It was around during the past couple of months leading to my birthday, Sian started to act distant towards me. At first, I just brushed it off thinking maybe I’m just overthinking it. As the days goes by, I noticed the growing distance between us and sometime I would catch her looking at me guiltily before looking away. Every time when I asked her if everything was alright, she would always say everything is just fine even though I knew it’s not.”

Eunbi paused before she continuing again. “Then one night she messaged me wanting to talk. Mind you this was a day before my birthday and by this time, I can already guess what was about to happen. Just not the bombshell she’s about to drop. Although I told my friends we broke up because Sian got bored of me, the truth was, she only dated me because she’s trying to forget an ex-girlfriend who went to study abroad.”

That last part was especially painful for her to accept back then. Her self-esteem and confidence especially took a big hit after. Adding to that was her insecurities, making it a not good combination overall. For the next several months after the breakup, she went through a very dark period of her life. A period of time where she didn’t want to revisit ever again. It took times and speaking with her friends she was able to be where she’s at right now.

“She admitted to me that a few weeks before they coincidentally met on the street. Apparently, they had a heart to heart talk at a café nearby where her ex-girlfriend confessed, she still loves her and wanted to get back together. By the end of it, I was speechless. I couldn’t even find words or get angry at her. The only thing that I could recalled from that night was her saying “I’m sorry” before leaving completely. Last I heard, they’re still together.”

Eunbi sighed then. “I think you can already guess what happen after. If not, let’s just say, it wasn’t all rainbows and sunshine for me.”

A silence fell between them. Eunbi nervously glanced at Hyewon wanting to see her reaction but so far, the younger’s gaze remained downcast at their hands. That was quite a heavy baggage she had unloaded to her.

“I’m sorry.” She murmured quietly. Eunbi noted the hint of regret in her voice as she said it.

Their gazes met each other at the same time. An apologetic look had crossed her face.

Eunbi shook her head. “You couldn’t have known. I didn’t even tell you.”

More like she didn’t want to relieve them. Of course, she could have the option to tell her actually just to get Hyewon back off a bit except she’s not that type of person. She wondered, if she did tell her in the first place, would they have been in this same position?

Definitely not. She probably would still be running away from her feelings and being the coward that she was.

“Still though. Didn’t lessen the fact in a way I was kind of forcing you to accept my feelings by confessing at a practically wrong time.” Hyewon said, looking away guiltily.

There was another thing Eunbi was curious about. “Tell me Hyewon. You said you knew about my feelings to you from the start. What made you do it?”

She wasn’t fooled in thinking Hyewon haven’t even thought the risk it put to their friendship. There’s got to be a point where she contemplates about it.

Hyewon pursed her lips as if debating internally with herself at first before replying “I became greedy and impatience. Overtime.”

Then she turned to face Eunbi directly, gazing steadily at her. She smiled. “I like you. Way too much. For the longest time since we first met that night years ago.”

Eunbi was taken aback at that admission. No way!

The younger girl face turned sobered. “And maybe…...I have gotten tired of watching at the side while you received confessions one after another from your many admirers.”

I want you for myself. Now that I have gotten a taste of your kiss since that night.

Stunned, Eunbi just stared at Hyewon who now had crossed both of her legs whilst propping her chin in her hand.

She tilted her head as she regarded Eunbi. “Do you know? For quite some time I had wondered what was holding you back all these times. You were aware from the start already of my feelings towards you. I didn’t even try to hide it nor was I shy to show it and yet, you did nothing but seeing what you told me just now, it explained a lot though I kind of wish you could have at least told me about it.”

Eunbi shook her head again. “Even if I did tell you, I would feel really guilty afterwards and things could probably become awkward between us. I don’t want that. You know I’m not that kind of person.”

Hyewon rolled her eyes. “I would have understood you know and back off.”

“Would you really?” Eunbi countered. She doubted that.

Hyewon scowled. “You really have a low trust on me, don’t you?”

The older girl just shrugged unapologetically.

“I would have understood.” She firmly repeated. She straightened herself and sighed. “And I would have still wait for you by then until you’re ready.”

***

“UNNIE! HOW COULD YOU?!” Wonyoung cried in disbelief.

Nako didn’t wince nor was there any hint of sorry in her expression as she calmly looked up at the tall girl.

Chaewon and Hitomi glanced at each other.

Wonyoung had never been more in an awkward position in her life than she was during that less than five minutes silence elevator ride down. An awkward tension was in the air. She didn’t know if Chaewon feel it though because the older girl just keeps staring straight ahead but she did. Inside she was also in a whole kind of mess.

On their way to the elevator, there was a brief moment where Wonyoung had considered going down using the emergency stairs. Surely since Chaewon was walking ahead of her, she wouldn’t notice her disappearance the moment she stepped inside. She had nearly done it when Chaewon all of a sudden turned back to look at her over her shoulder as if checking on whether she’s still there or not.

When they had reached the lobby and spotted Nako and Hitomi with several plastic bags by their feet with what she assumed to be takeaway foods, Wonyoung immediately scrambled towards her unnie.

“Calm down Wonyoung-ah. I can explain” Nako said.

Wonyoung crossed both of her arms on her chest, waiting.

“But first, how are the unnies and Yujin holding up? How are you holding up Wonyoung-ah?” she grinned.

The tall girl didn’t answer. She leaned down at Nako’s eye level. Her expression deadpanned as she stared at her unnie who’s obviously enjoying watching them squirmed. After all she was the one who exposed them all by secretly sending the video.

“Was it that bad?” Nako feigning a look of worry and innocent which Wonyoung wasn’t fooled however. Her eyes started to narrow as she stared longer at the short girl in the eyes until the latter became visibly unnerved by the weight of it she automatically looked away.

Nako raised both of her arms in surrender. “Fine fine. I’ll stop.”

“Explain now!” Wonyoung demanded, putting her hands on both of her hips. She didn’t care Hitomi and Chaewon were watching them at the side.

Nako expelled an exasperated breath. “First of all. You guys are not the only one who got your feelings known.”

It hit Wonyoung then. “Wait! So, you purposely said it in the video knowing Hitomi is going to see it?”

Nako nodded. “Did you forget? I’m the one who planned, produced and edited the video from the start except them coming to the apartment. That’s on them.”

Wonyoung’s jaw dropped.

The short girl continued as if in a rant. “Second of all, I send that video to them not only for my own benefit but for all of you as well. I’m tired of watching you all mooning over them every time they-”

She didn’t get to finish her remaining sentences due to Wonyoung quickly covering . She rolled her eyes.

“OKAY UNNIE! THAT’S ENOUGH. YOU MADE YOUR POINT.” She said in panic as her cheeks burned at the same time.

When she demanded her unnie to explain in the first place, she didn’t mean for her to expose and drag them even more especially not in front of the other two watching them.

Hitomi and Chaewon meanwhile shared an amusement smile.

Nako shoved the younger girl’s hand away. She curiously turned to look at Chaewon. “I didn’t expect you to come down here unnie.”

She was surprised when instead of Yujin and Wonyoung, it was the older girl who had come down with the latter.

“Just wanted to help.” She replied.

Nako blinked then casted a sidelong look at Wonyoung, arching a brow.

The latter just scowled at her in response. She was also sulking by this point, feeling hurt for being deceived and betrayed by her unnie.

Seeing this, Nako attempted to reconcile with her. “Well to make it up for you Wonyoung-ah, I have prepared a very special Valentine’s Day gifts for the unnies and Yujin and this time, I really need your help.”

Among the plastic bags, only one stood out as it was the only small one in size in compared to the others. Nako lifted it up. A faint sound of something metal clang against each other could be heard, catching Wonyoung’s interest and curiosity.

Though suspicious, she eventually asked anyway “What’s that?”

A mysterious smile curved Nako’s lip. She put her hand inside and took ‘something’ out. Her smile now turned devious as she playfully twirled that ‘something’ on her finger.

At first Wonyoung gasped, shocked by what she had seen before adding with sparkles in her eyes. “I'M IN UNNIE!”

And I know who my first victim is going to be. Just you wait Ahn Yujin.

***

“And I would have still wait for you by then until you’re ready.”

When Hyewon had declared that to Eunbi moments ago, she had really meant it. Unfortunately, she didn’t believe it. It was so typical of Eunbi to doubt her but she couldn’t blame her on that.

Seriously what didn’t she get? She thought it was obvious in the video in the way she spoke about it though at the same time it wasn’t subtle in a way for someone who’s sometime dense as Eunbi.

Plus, she was also at a small fault for purposely leaving something out.

Maybe I should have said it out loud back then.

“Eunbi. When you watch the video, what was the expression on my face when I told my friends about meeting you again at the library?”

Eunbi’s brows drew together, confusion clear in her eyes. “You were obviously happy and definitely surprised.”

Hyewon nodded. “I was. More than anything. Unknowingly we enrolled in the same university and never once did you nor I ran into each other until last year. Let me make it clear to you then. During my confession time, I purposely held back one specific information from them.”

She uncrossed her legs. Leaning forward, she cupped Eunbi’s cheek. Her gaze softened. “What I didn’t tell them including you was that although yes, I had given up on searching for you, that doesn’t mean I wasn’t secretly waiting and hoping to see you again one day. You rarely left my mind and I would sometime wonder to myself how you were doing throughout the years.”

It was true. During those years, she had conjured up so many different scenarios of when and where she’ll encounter Eunbi again. Many of them involved bumping to each other either on the streets or somewhere at the shopping mall or restaurants and yet none of it prepared her for that meeting at the library. Let alone the latter forgetting her altogether. She really wasn’t lying when she said she was bummed when Eunbi didn’t remember her at all.

She heard Eunbi in a breath just as she saw the older girl’s eyes widened.

A soft smile tugged at the corner of her lips. “So compared that with the current situation. I waited for you before and I wouldn’t mind waiting for you a little longer this time as long I know you’re going to be mine in the end.”

With that, she brushed her lips on her cheek before moving on to whisper in her ear. “I’m not going anywhere Eunbi. Not anytime soon. If you want more time, I’ll give it to you. If you want to take it slow between us, I’ll give that to you too. Just know I’ll still be here.”

Because to me, you’re worth it.

Hyewon winced when she felt Eunbi slumped her head on her shoulder. She chuckled as she heard her muttered under her breath. “You idiot.”

Knowing the girl was probably still in shock and definitely embarrassed, Hyewon hugged her before pulling her back down on the bed so they were lying side by side. She smiled when she felt Eunbi hugged her in return. They stayed like that for the next couple of minutes with neither of them wanting to break the moment.

“I’m sorry.” Eunbi quietly said.

Hyewon arched a brow clearly not expecting that. She gazed down at Eunbi only to see the latter was now sporting a guilty look on her face. She sighed. Knowing the girl personally as well, the guilt was definitely eating her on the inside which in her opinion, it shouldn’t because not once did Hyewon blamed her for the situation they were in.

“No. Don’t.” she firmly said.

Startled, Eunbi tilted her head up to look at her.

Hyewon tightened her arms on around her waist. “I know you Eunbi. Let’s agree to disagree that it’s both of our faults here. You have to remember I’m also at fault here for not only kind of pushing you to accept me but for not being honest to you from the start as well.”

“Why didn’t you?” Eunbi asked.

Hyewon played with a strand of her hair before kissing the crown of her head. “I guess……in a way I don’t want you to remember that pathetic girl. You saw me at my worst time. I was exhausted, stress and mostly full of frustrations. Hell, I was even rude to you which I rarely do.”

At one point, she did come to hate herself especially what happened to her after her parents started sending her off to cram school bringing in additional weights to her already hectic school life. It still amazed her sometime to this day how she was able to juggle much through her gruelling schedules and graduated in the end.

Eunbi gave her a look of understanding. “It was really late that night. You didn’t enter the store to buy anything and yet you sat there outside spacing out for the most of it. I immediately knew something was wrong and that’s why I approached you.”

“And I thank you for that.” Hyewon said. Another thing that she regretted not saying it to her at the time, realising it a little too late. If it wasn’t for her presence and comfort that night, she would probably still be bitter with her life and her parents.

She proceeded to nuzzle Eunbi’s neck, smelling in the familiar perfume she always wore that she always loved on her.

“No. Thank you Hyewon for being patience with me.” Eunbi whispered.

Really. She had no idea Hyewon’s feelings for her ran that deep. Some would say she was a fool for waiting and holding on to someone that long but to the older girl, that already speak volumes on what kind of person Hyewon is which wasn’t far off from her current personality. Like she said before, she is special.

When Hyewon turned to look at her again, her heart pounded in her chest as she saw the younger girl was looking at her with an expression of pure adoration and love. She hoped she’d always be the receiver of that look for a long time.

Better be me only.

Before she realised it, Eunbi had closed her eyes and leaned forward intending to go for a kiss but was stopped when she felt Hyewon’s finger on her lips. Opening her eyes, she saw the latter watching her quite amusedly.

“As much as I want to kiss you right now babe, I haven’t even brushed my teeth yet. Hold on to that kiss though.” She winked and getting up from the bed.

Impatient and miffed, Eunbi immediately grabbed her arm, yanking her back on the bed. Their lips crashed against each other. What started as a simple kiss quickly turned heated the next. Eunbi let out a little yelp of surprise. If she wasn’t wrong, it was as if something had taken over her as the younger girl started to tilt her head, nibbling and teasing her lips.

Then all of a sudden, Hyewon eased back. They stared at each other, their breath heaved in and out.

“That’s payback for last time.” Hyewon whispered breathlessly, a wicked grin on her lips.

“What?”

“That night I brought you home. In your drunken state, you kissed me just like that. You don’t know how hard I tried to resist the temptation.”

Hyewon traced Eunbi’s lips with her thumb. The wicked grin still intact. “Want to know what else you did?”

Eunbi swallowed nervously. A feeling of dread came over her.

Oh god! She’s really not going to drink anymore after this.

“W-w-what is it?” she stuttered.

As Hyewon started to recount everything to her from start to finish, Eunbi grown more and more mortified by the second the more she listened to it that by the end of it, her face burned all over. If possible, smokes would definitely come out of her ears.

She stared gobsmacked at Hyewon who merely nodded to her in confirmation.

“It’s true. Definitely a sight I’ll never forget anytime soon.” She smirked down at her and pecked her one last time.

That did it.

Eunbi screamed.

Fortunately, Hyewon saw the sign of it and managed to roll herself away in time from the impact of it. She gave her a final wink before fleeing out from the room just as Eunbi started to rise from the bed and chased her.

“KANG HYEWON! GET BACK HERE!”

***

Few minutes earlier….

Chaeyeon crossed her arms on her chest as she stared at the black paper gift bag tied with white ribbon placed on the study table.

It’s really a no brainer to know who it was from and to whom it was intended to be given to. If it isn’t obvious enough, she recognised the familiar handwriting and the name scribbled on the bow card attached to the bag.

Chaeyeon didn’t dare to peek the inside of it however.

“So, when are you going to give it to Yuri, Yena?” she muttered and shook her head.

She wasn’t all at surprise to see Yena had prepared an apology gift especially after the last time Chaeyeon had talked her ears off. If she had to guess, it looked like Yena intended to give the present to Yuri at some point before. Maybe around last night after their performances ended because she did saw Yuri and her friends among the audiences but somehow along the way missed her chance.

Or maybe she chickened out at the last minute?

She wouldn’t put it past Yena to do that but then again, she remembered the expressions on Yena’s face during that one part in the video where she was asked the chances of Yuri taking her back so she could understand her reasoning.

From the outside, she heard Yena’s boisterous voice talking about something as she always does.

So carefree.

She smiled. At least both girls were relatively in good terms from what she had seen when she passed by them moments ago even though it was mostly Yena purposely avoiding eye contact with Yuri who seemed mad at her over something Chaeyeon didn’t know.

Surely by handing Yuri the gift, it’s a good opportunity for Yena to mend their relationship. That was if Yuri was willing to take her back.

She smirked as an idea came to mind then.

Time for me to save the day again.

Grabbing the bag, she exited the room and headed back to the living room again.

“Yena-ah. I just saw this on your table. What’s inside?” she asked as she purposely dangled the bag in front of her and the others.

Instant alarm and panic set in on the older girl’s face. She leaped through the couch. Reaching at Chaeyeon, she frantically pulled the bag down trying to conceal it away from the rest of their guests’ views as she whispered angrily up at her. “Yah! What are you doing? Put it back. I don’t want her to see it you idiot.”

Bingo!

Chaeyeon flickered a glance at Yuri who’s looking at them quite curiously.

“What’s wrong Yena unnie?” Yuri questioned.

Yena turned to look at her over shoulder, quickly explaining with a nervous laugh. “N-n-nothing. Chaeyeon just discovered the present that I forgot to give her during her birthday last time.”

Chaeyeon rolled her eyes at that statement. Typical of Yena.

“Oh, really?” Chaeyeon pretended to be surprised before flipping opened the small bow card. “But why did you write here ‘To Yuri’ instead of my name?”

A long pause. Then without any kind of warning, she snatched the bag away from Chaeyeon’s hand and with a flushed face, went to Yuri who was beaming and had an expectant look on her face.

“Can you come with me for a second?” she asked Yuri, holding out her hand to which Yuri gladly accepted. Her mood and footsteps light as both headed towards the kitchen.

Chaeyeon watched them whilst trying to stifle back a laugh. The expression on Yena’s face just now was really priceless. She wished she could catch it on her phone.

That wasn’t so hard was it?

And speaking of phone, her gaze moved towards the still closed door where the two current occupants of it still haven’t exited from the room. She frowned.

“What’s wrong unnie?” a soft-spoken voice asked.

She glanced at Minju. She had nearly forgotten the girl was there also in the living room.

“Well the fact that I left my phone inside the bedroom. I really needed it.”

Chaeyeon was actually waiting for a text from her dance teacher who had promised to give all of her students something special at a certain time today. She knew instantly what it was really but that doesn’t mean she wasn’t expecting it nonetheless.

If only her mind wasn’t distracted by a certain someone at the time, she would have her phone in her hand by now and counting down the minutes.

Really how pathetic was she anticipating a Valentine’s Day gift from her instructor? She had never felt more alone than she was currently.

She sighed.

“It’s going to take a while unnie. Maybe you should wait a little more. I’m sure Eunbi unnie and Hyewon unnie have a lot to talk about.” Minju said.

Her lips twitched at that answer. If there’s one word that Chaeyeon would closely associate with Minju, it would definitely be innocent. She really radiated of it. Chaeyeon had witnessed it first-hand when they had worked together last year as volunteer for the music festival and the whole time of it, she could easily see why many of the students including Yujin had a crush on her. She was so kind, genuine and really hardworking to a fault. No matter what was thrown at her, she endured it and wouldn’t complain much. On some occasions when all of them were exhausted, she still tried to lift their spirits up awkward as it may seem and always ending her day with a smile on her face.

Knowing also the younger girl was easily teased, she said “Are you sure they’re just talking Minju? They’re probably doing other things like….”

Chaeyeon then made a kissy face to emphasise her point.

Just as she had predicted, Minju blushed. “U-unnie. I don’t want to know that.”

“Why? It’s true no? You really think they’re just going to have a talk like that? If I knew Hyewon unnie, there’s probably not going to be much talking going around.”

Minju cracked a smile. “I-I suppose so. Hyewon unnie does seem like that type.” she shyly said.

While the two were busy conversing, a pair of dog and cat sat quietly, staring enviously at their easy and comfortable interaction with each other.

Seeing the bashful smile on Minju’s face, Yujin immediately remembered what Chaeyeon had said about Minju last time when they shot that video. She scowled. At first, she had no idea when Chaeyeon first volunteered, Minju would also be there. Her unnie also didn’t tell or brag about it to her. That was until she came with the others that she found out. Moreover, they were assigned as partner and seemed closed too. Honestly, Yujin felt a little betrayed by her unnie at the time though she didn’t voice it out.

The feeling was mutual for Sakura and more. When she saw Chaeyeon’s name on the list of volunteers, she was thrilled to say the least as she saw this as an opportunity to get closer to her. That was if she was partnered up with her. Unfortunately, her dream was crushed when she learned that Chaeyeon was going to work alongside Minju. She was sorely tempted to change the list, assigning someone else with Minju and Chaeyeon to hers except she didn’t want Eunbi to get suspicious of her and questioned her later on. What’s worst for Sakura? The fact that Chaeyeon and Minju grown close with each other the whole time they were working together.

Suddenly feeling huffy, Yujin shifted closer behind Minju directly making herself visible to Chaeyeon who spotted her. Putting a halt to the conversation, she smiled. “Hey Yujin.”

Yujin however didn’t return the greeting. Instead she crossed her arms defiantly and glared directly at her unnie.

Chaeyeon raised her brows at this surprised change of behaviour.

A silent stared off ensued between the both of them with Chaeyeon having absolutely no idea why Yujin was acting the way she was and Yujin being pettily jealous at her unnie for talking with Minju.

Noticing this, Minju looked back at Yujin and to Chaeyeon wondering anxiously to herself what’s going on and what did she missed between them.

For Chaeyeon, it took a few moments for her to catch on what this was about. Her lips curled into an amused smile.

Possessive, are we?

Failing to hold herself back, she joked. “You looked like a territorial dog trying to protect its owner Yujin.”

Yujin growled before releasing a sharp bark. “Woof (meong)”

That stunned all of them in the room. Their eyes widened in shock as they looked at Yujin. The latter’s action even made Yena and Yuri temporarily stopped their make out session as they peered out from the kitchen and into the living room area.

“Was that Yujin barking just now?” Yena asked.