D-Day

The Cowards, Beauties & Bolds

13th February

The days and weeks had flown by in the blink of an eye and before they knew it, the expectant day had finally come.

Throughout the day, the six girls found it hard to concentrate much on their lectures as their minds were practically elsewhere. Not only that, they were also in a constant state of nervousness and excitement for what’s to come later. In short, the day was really dragging for all of them.

Yujin shifted uneasily as she waited outside a lecture hall as she watched a continuous flow of students had exited into the hallway but there was still no sign of Nako and Wonyoung.

She checked on her watch and realised she had been standing there for at least ten minutes. If she didn’t know any better, she’d bet those two were asking some questions to their lecturer as they always do.

She huffed.

Not entirely their fault though. She herself had decided to skip her morning lecture halfway and goes straight here while the lecture was still ongoing. She should have just waited in the library.

Not wanting to be a wallflower, she fiddled with her phone checking on her various social medias to kill time. When she glanced up again to check towards the doorway again, she froze. There walking among the crowds of students was her former high school senior, Minju alongside her friend Kim Chaewon. They were laughing about something the latter had said.

She frowned at the scene. She had heard of the rumours going on around campus about those two and honestly, she really didn’t know which one to believe. On one hand, some said they were just friends which made her hopeful but on the other, some said they were a couple which made her deflated all the same.

She would be lying if she said she wasn’t curious about whether there was some truth in those rumours.

They do make a good-looking couple.

Yujin observed them.

From what she had learned, Minju and Chaewon are best friends and were rather quite affectionate with each other judging from the many times she had seen them around campus.

She didn’t realise she had been staring at them for some time until her eyes inadvertently met with hers. She quickly averted her gaze down towards her phone again. Her heart started to pound the more she felt their steps came close to her.

When she peered back up again moments later, it was to see the older girls were already walking far ahead of her in the opposite direction.

She let out a small whimper, looking at her from behind.

Pretty.

Even back then during their school year, her beauty and popularity were really unmatched. Not only was she popular among their peers but also by neighbouring schools judging by the number of boys who had waited in front of the school gate just to see her. Some were even brave enough to confess only to be readily rejected.

It used to annoy her every time she walked past by that scene but then when she thought of it again, she had no right to be because at least they did confess unlike her who only resorted to admire her from afar. For her, Minju was a senior who’s seemingly unapproachable to her and still do apparently.

Coward.

Tell her something she didn’t know. She sighed and turned to look out for her friends again only to be startled at the sight of Nako and Wonyoung staring deadpanned at her before their expressions was replaced by a teasing look. Their eyes glinted in amusement and their silent question hung in the air as they grinned at her.

Great!

“Don’t bother. Let’s go.” She growled, annoyed she was caught again for gawking and stomped away from them while two girls just share a chuckle.

If only young Yujin knew at the time. That if she hadn’t turned her back, she would have locked eyes again with a certain someone who had glanced back at her with a soft smile on her lips.

***

 

Eunbi pursed her lips as she warily stared down at the chat message room, fingers still hovering above the screen and her mind blank. The words that she had mentally prepared last night literally flew right out of the window just when she needed them the most.

“Just write Eunbi-ah.” Sakura said at the side, already bored at watching her friend pathetically attempt to write a message (a message!) but failing miserably.

“It’s not that simple” She scowled at her.

Sakura rolled her eyes. “Sure, it is. Just say you’re sorry and ask her to meet with you after their performance.”

Easy for you to say.

“And I’m sure Kang-chan won’t reject meeting you at all. Just say the words and she’ll definitely come running.” She added, wiggling her eyebrows.

Eunbi blushed even as she pressed her lips to suppress a smile. “I know that.”

That last image made her chuckle a bit. Her friend made it sound like Hyewon was some kind of a dog who was only too excited to oblige to its owner after being neglected for so long. The thought sobered her immediately.

In a way maybe she was considering how Eunbi had treated her. Guilt and regret stabbed at her then.

For the past couple of days, she had finally come to terms with her feelings towards Hyewon. Not that she wasn’t aware or in denial about it.

Okay maybe a little bit of denial if she’s being honest with herself here and she did push her away but for the most part it’s just her pretending it wasn’t there. That maybe with time, it will fade eventually.

Until that ‘incident’ happened proving her theory wrong.

“I like you Eunbi”

Funny that it took those words to be voice out to send her running. A contrast to her first reaction months ago when she realised her own feelings was to panic and hide it.

Naïve for her as well to think Hyewon wouldn’t just confess outright one day because of course she did. Eunbi just wasn’t prepared for it and besides, as much as she wanted to argue of not wanting to lose their friendship, she didn’t think she would be able to held in her feelings much longer before it became apparent to others. She’s just not that good in hiding her emotions.

Surprisingly enough, when she had talked it out with her friends on her fears and insecurities, as irrational as it may seem now that she thought of it, they were really empathic where she had come from though not without letting her forget she was also an idiot for what she did.

“Don’t you think it’s unfair to Hyewon-unnie if you roped her in the same as your exes? I don’t think she’s that type of person unnie. She’s so whipped for you.” Chaewon stated when Eunbi told them a big fear of hers. “And I doubt she would even get bored of you. You’re literally the only person who can handle her.”

“Just trust yourself Eunbi-ah.” Sakura comforted. “And Kang-chan as well. Don’t worry too much. Everything is going to be okay.”

Will they?

As unique(?) and mischievous of a person Hyewon may be to others but for her, she’s special. She gets her in a way not many could. Probably one of the few people who truly understands her besides her family and friends.

No matter how bad her days went, she was always there to listen and comfort.

And truth be told?

Eunbi started missing her a lot lately and the way they used to be before. Their late-night talks and on occasion stroll around the neighbourhood for no reason at all. Sometime, they would even stop at a nearby convenience store and have their midnight snacks. She was easy and fun to be with.

She also really didn’t mind it whenever the younger girl gets really affectionate with her. In fact, she kind of liked it actually no matter how flustered and embarrassed it made her especially in front of the others.

Maybe it’s just her but in a way, it made her feel cherish and adored.

Was it any wonder she fell that easily?

She smiled.

Maybe this wouldn’t be too bad.

Heart at ease, she started typing.

***

She really did not have time for this. Just when she thought everything would end with tonight’s performance, this just have to happen to her.

Her phone was gone and worst, she only had 30 minutes left to find it before they had to leave.

“Where is it?” she muttered to herself as she scanned the pristine living room area and then on the glass coffee table again.

Hyewon could have sworn she had left her phone there not too long ago after coming back to the apartment to change clothes along with the others. It couldn’t have been a burglar because the front door was definitely locked nor it couldn’t have been her friends.

Or is it?

There were only three people left in the apartment while Yena, Nako and Chaeyeon had left much earlier than them to prepare some stuff.

Then she heard a door shut from the hallway and walked out the two maknaes with their change outfits and make up on.

“What’s wrong unnie?” Wonyoung asked as she saw the frustrated look on her unnie’s face.

She narrowed her eyes suspiciously at the two-twin tower. “Have you two seen my phone?”

Yujin shook her head.

“No. Why?” Wonyoung replied.

She stared at them for a long minute before answering. “Well it’s missing. I remembered putting it here.” She pointed at the coffee table.

“Don’t look at me. I didn’t even see it.” Wonyoung said.

“Maybe Chaeyeon-unnie accidentally brought it with her. I mean you two have nearly identical phone case nowadays. She probably mistook it as hers.” Yujin suggested.

“Oh.” Hyewon didn’t think of that.

Chaeyeon did recently change her phone case in a colour kind of similar to hers and considering the latter sometime did tend to misplace her phone and if she’s in a rush, it’s possible she mistook it as her own.

“You’re right. It’s probably with her. Let’s go.” Hyewon said relieved now that she knew where her phone was possibly located. She slung her bag over her shoulder and moved towards the front door.

While Hyewon had walked ahead, behind her Yujin and Wonyoung shared a look before breathing out a sigh of relief.

“Nako-unnie wasn’t kidding when she said unnie was sharp.” Yujin stated.

“She had nearly caught us.” Wonyoung saw the speculative directed at them. “I can’t believe I agree with this. You do know once she found out, she’s going to kill us.” She hissed before walking towards the kitchen to grab something.

“She’s not going to know. We’ll return her phone tomorrow before she wakes up.” Yujin confidently replied following her from behind.

She watched as her friend made a quick work of tying a jar packed with mini cookies inside with a red ribbon on the lid then putting it inside her bag. “Are you going to give it to her tonight?”

Wonyoung shyly nodded.

***

The auditorium was located not far off from the main building. It was rarely used, only on occasion by some lecturers. Even though it’s called a mini auditorium, it’s still quite spacious and can accommodate quite a number of students with the chairs extending all the way to the back. It also came with the standard equipment that would normally be found in a normal lecture hall.

Tonight, only a decent number of students had come in to watch, their chattering filling the room.

Eunbi recognised some of them as she trailed behind her friends. She then noticed the extra platform at the side of the stage below the projector screen attached on the wall, with its curtains pull back revealing a black couch and a single lamp inside.

“Let’s sit here.” Minju said, choosing the seats for them.

For the nth time that day, Eunbi checked her phone yet again only to see the same thing. Still no reply whatsoever from Hyewon and honestly, she was starting to get worried.

Though yes, she knew the girl was busy but not that busy that she couldn’t check on her phone every now and then.

Is she angry with me?

She wouldn’t be surprised if she’s giving her the cold shoulder right now, purposely ignoring her message. Was this how Hyewon felt back then?

Chaewon, who was seated next to her, noticed her unnie’s restlessness and troubled look. “Still nothing from her?”

She shook her head. “Do you think- “

Before she could even finish her question, the lights then dimmed making the crowds instantly silent. A video was then played on the screen containing various scenes and snippets of conversations.

“I can’t believe you picked this song as our final one but I love it.” Hyewon grinned at Chaeyeon.

“Of course, you would love it Kang-chan” Nako remarked.

“How did they do it without getting flustered?” Yena wondered, her eyes focused on watching something in her laptop.

“I would have been blushing mad if someone did that to me.” Chaeyeon remarked at the side and Yena nodded in agreement.

“y.” A snacking Hyewon commented.

“Is this even legal?” Wonyoung asked as she and Yujin watched in shocked at the undisclosed scene in front of them before screaming and hugging each other tightly.

Chaeyeon, Hyewon and Yujin practising their respective choreography with Yena watching in front.

Nako randomly doing the floss then being joined by Yujin and Yena.

“How do we look?” Hyewon asked as she and Yena came out from somewhere but their outfits were blurred.

“I’m surprised they even sell this at the costume store.” Wonyoung held something in her hand but that too was blurred.

The screen then faded to black and a single light then focused on the stage. A short girl walked out moments later holding a mic and smiling

“Welcome and thank you all for coming in tonight.…”

While Nako made her speech in front, Eunbi’s mind was somewhere else. The teaser got her even more intrigued. She had a feeling what Wonyoung held just now was definitely a mask but was thrown off by the comment she made.

“And so, without further delay, please enjoy the performances.” She said and the auditorium turned dark.

Performance #1

Song: Dance Without You by Skylar Grey

The music starts with an intro beatboxing followed up by the of smacking drums throughout the song and the singer cooing tortured words giving the song a weird vibe.

The stage lighted up again and Chaeyeon, decked out in a short white gown complete with a choker and a silver lace masquerade mask walked to the stage barefoot.

The performance was something the six girls never expected. One girl in particular was mesmerised the whole time she was watching her.

Chaeyeon literally flew and own the stage as she danced to the heavy beat song before ending it with a bow.

Performance #2

Song: Good for You by Selena Gomez

The next song started with breathy vocals followed up by a recognisable voice as she crooned the come-hither lyrics.

Yena dressed basically the same as Chaeyeon with the choker and mask except her dress was grey in colour.

Compare to her usual self, this Yena was a whole new person as she danced seductively and confidently. Her gaze didn’t stray from the audiences as she searched for one specific person among them.

Yuri could only gape throughout of it.

“I didn’t know Yena could dance Yuri.” Minju said turning to her friend, clearly surprised.

“Me neither.” Yuri replied. Yena never mention it to her before.

She ended her stage with a bow and a smirk on her lips.

Performance #3

Song: Earned It by The Weeknd

“Woooaaahhh!”

The next song got the crowds cheering. The familiar R&B beat and his unique voice echoed throughout the auditorium, serenading the audience with the risqué lyrics.

This time it was a duo performance with Hyewon and Yujin. Much like the previous two, they wore the exact same choker and mask with just different colour dresses which was the colour of light blue.

Eunbi couldn’t take her eyes off of her. Who knew she could dance? Certainly not Eunbi.

Forget about the shy girl that she knew before, this Hyewon was way different. She didn’t hold back as she matched up with Yujin who’s obviously a skilled dancer herself.

She was taken momentarily aback when suddenly she felt a pair of eyes gazed directly at her. Not wanting to lose, she challengingly met hers.

It was subtle but Eunbi noticed it nonetheless. The slight curving of her lips.

She shifted uneasily in her seat. Somehow, she had a bad feeling all of a sudden.

The duo’s performance ended too with a bow. The auditorium darkened once again. The audiences were silent as they waited in anticipation for the next one.

Performance #4

Song: City Lights by TVXQ Yunho

The final song was one not many known but his deep baritone voice is.

A single light then focused on the stage, this time showing all five of the girls together. Yena, Hyewon, Yujin and Wonyoung now donned shoulderless blouse with black shorts and knee boots while Chaeyeon worn a sleeveless dress shirt with black pants and Converse shoes. Unlike the others, she still had her choker around her neck.

Right off the bat, Eunbi now knew why she couldn’t seem to shake off that bad feeling she had.

She didn’t think any one of the audiences tonight including her could even predict or knew the fourth performance would have lots of……. skinship involved as she watched Chaeyeon glide around the stage, getting intimate with Yujin then moving on to Wonyoung to which the younger girl leaned down to Chaeyeon.

“This should so be illegal.” She heard Chaewon muttered at the side. Eunbi secretly glanced at her friends.

With the exception of Hitomi who’s clearly enjoying herself, the other four girls had an unreadable expression on their faces.

When she turned to the front again it was to see Chaeyeon slowly sauntering to the extra platform with Yena and Hyewon trailing behind, stopping to hid behind the curtain.

Chaeyeon smirked, teasing the audiences as she danced some more before entering the makeshift room with the curtains being pulled close and the LCD screen on top started playing on cue.

The audiences started screaming their heads off.

Eunbi stiffened in her seat. Her lips tightened and her fists clenched by what she saw just as a familiar feeling stirred within that she immediately recognised as jealousy.

Chaeyeon gently pushed Yena towards the wall, their faces closed against each other as the former caressed her cheeks. A secret smile shared between them.

Hyewon, who observed them silently from the side enviously put her hand on Chaeyeon’s shoulder making the latter turned to her. Surprise, the younger girl grinned as she playfully shoved her down on the couch before proceeding to laid down in her lap. A tender moment passed between the two of them.

Yena walked up to them just as Chaeyeon rose up to face her again. Hyewon watched the two of them dance around each other before joining them on the floor, tucked under the younger girl’s embrace.

The music stopped. The curtain pulled back, revealing Chaeyeon who now had a black blazer on san the choker. She casually walked back to the centre stage where the four girls waited and the performance continued again.

Eunbi didn’t think it could get any worse after what she had seen but apparently it did because in the next moment, her jealousy finally boiled over.

The crowd went wild when in the ending pose Chaeyeon cupped Hyewon’s face close to hers, bringing their lips to a near kiss. What no one saw coming, including the younger girl herself, was when Hyewon suddenly pecked her on the cheek before being bombarded by some more kisses from Yena, Yujin and Wonyoung. 

Eunbi abruptly stood up and left.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

So whaddya think? 

I know I have only focused on KangBi and giving little hints here and there on other ships but do not worry in the next upcoming chapters I'm going to reveal them all >:] Please anticipate it. I dont think y'all gonna be ready for what I'm about to spill.

I recommend yall to watch City Lights by Yunho and Taeyong. It's so good that I literally clicked on the replay button many times. Or maybe it's been a while since an idol made me that thirsty XD 

Thank you for reading and see you in the next chapter ;)