Chapter 16

Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

POHANG

Ji Hyo’s phone beeps. She rubs her sleepy eyes and then takes her phone to see who just texted her, in the middle of the night. A message from Kim Jong Kook at 2.12 am.

Ji Hyo-yah, are you still awake?

Ne?

Do you have any ramyeon?

Yes. For who?

Me. I can’t sleep because I’m so hungry

Ji Hyo wants to laugh at his reply. Her ex-husband wants to eat ramyeon just because he’s hungry in the middle of the night. She remembers vividly how much he opposed of ramyeon, or anything that is instant basically. Has he changed that much?

Are you sure you want ramyeon? What will people say if they see Kim Jong Kook eats ramyeon?

Let them say what they want to say. I’m just too hungry right now

Didn’t you eat dinner with Eomeoni?

For a couple of minutes, Jong Kook doesn’t reply. Just contemplating on what he should answer. Should he lie or be honest with her? Ji Hyo grows impatient and texts him again because she has a feeling that there's something he's hiding or hesitating to tell.

You did eat with Eomeoni, right?

After skipping a beat, he finally settles on telling the truth.

Sort of. Eomma did.

Oh my god. And you are the one who always nags at people’s health. When was the last time you eat?

I ate my lunch I swear! I ate with Eomma too

Ji Hyo lifts her body up from the bed when she reads his reply.

Has Ha Neul fallen back to sleep?

Yes, ma’am

Come over then, I’ll cook something for you other than ramyeon

Jong Kook grins reading at the reply. It's not exactly on his plan but it's definitely better. He hasn't felt that kind of excitement in the past four years and Ji Hyo can surely swoop right back into her place. 

Coming.

Ji Hyo sighs, turning on the lights and puts her hair on a bun. She rubs away the sleepiness in her eyes and goes to the kitchen quietly. She’s decided to cook some Korean curry stew with beef, potatoes, and carrots. Thankfully there are rice and side dishes in the fridge. She only needs to cut two potatoes and two carrots.

She’s in the middle of peeling the second potato when Jong Kook rings the bell. She runs quickly to the front door with the peeler and the potato in her hands. Using her elbow to open up the lock, Jong Kook opens the door himself and lets himself in.

“Do you need my help?” He asks when he sees how busy she is. She's walking in front of him with the potato skin and the peeler in her right hand and the clean and nice potato in her left hand.

“Cut these potatoes, I’ll peel the carrots.” Ji Hyo puts down the potatoes and the knife in front of him and starts dealing with the carrots. She knows Jong Kook is a good cook, so she doesn’t need to worry about his work.

“Are you making curry stew?” Jong Kook tries to start up a conversation, but the question only gets answered with a hum.

Ji Hyo doesn’t even know why one second she feels comfortable talking with Jong Kook and the next second she just wants to shut up and ignores him. They are both silents after that, neither say another word.

After Jong Kook is finished cutting the potatoes, Ji Hyo orders him to just stay put, waiting for her in the kitchen stool. Even though she’s busy going back and forth, she somehow can feel his eyes on her.

“Stop staring.” Ji Hyo remarks with her back still facing him.

Jong Kook is caught off guard being gapped, but then he smiles, “You can still feel it?”

Ji Hyo feels flustered. “Here.” Ji Hyo pushes a bowl of rice, a large bowl of curry stew, and some side dishes. “Sorry, if some of them are still cold.”

“No, it’s okay. I’m sure they’re great. Gomawo.” Jong Kook bows his head gratefully.

Ji Hyo gives him a look before sitting on the stool beside him. “How’s Eomeoni? Is she resting?”

Jong Kook nods while chewing his food. “I think so. After Ha Neul greeted her, she hadn't gone out of the room again. She's emotionally drained.”

“I’m sorry.” Ji Hyo sighs. “It must be hard for her.”

“Aniya, don’t be. I’m sure once we introduce her to I Seul, she will be fully charged.” Jong Kook jokes, trying to lighten the mood.

However, Ji Hyo doesn’t find it funny nor amusing. She just closes her eyes and sighs. A million things run around in her head.

“Do you have a plan on how we do that? How we tell the kids and all?” She mumbles quietly, opening her eyes to stare at the father of her children.

Jong Kook looks straight into her eyes before giving a deep sigh. “I don’t. Do you?”

Ji Hyo shakes her head with a frown. “I’m too nervous and scared to come up with a plan. Do you think Ha Neul will forgive me? Do you think she will give me a chance?”

“She will.” Jong Kook places his hand on top of hers. “I’m sure she will.”

Ji Hyo sighs again. She has this doubt all over her mind.

“Do you think I Seul will?” Jong Kook continues after waiting for a minute and he doesn’t get any answer.

Ji Hyo gives a nod. “I Seul… I guess you have to try to get on his good side first.” Ji Hyo answers with a smile.

“I will do anything.” Jong Kook nods firmly. He has this determinant look across his face.

Ji Hyo is amused. “Good then.” She stands up before motioning at the dishes and empty plates in front of him. “Don’t forget to wash the plate after you’re done and put the leftovers in the fridge.” After she says that, without waiting for his answer, she turns her back towards him and leaves the kitchen.

When she starts walking in the direction of her room, Jong Kook calls her. “Ji Hyo-yah.”

“Hm?” Ji Hyo turns around.

“About us-” He starts but doesn’t finish his sentence. He doesn't know what to say when he looks at her face.

When she realizes that he’s not going to continue, she mutters, “What about us?”

Jong Kook is hesitant but still continues with his eyes getting glassy, “Four years ago, that night, I’m sorry. I’m really, really sorry.”

Ji Hyo doesn’t say anything. She just stands still at her place, looking straight into him. Jong Kook inhales sharply. Will she ever forgiv

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter