rEALITY

You're My Universe

The sun is just rising in Seoul as a beautiful woman with short, blonde hair rises up from her bed, then stretches and yawns. She heads to the bathroom, looks at herself in the mirror in the bathroom when she suddenly hears a knock at the door.

“Hey! Yongsun! You’re going to be late for your boxing match! Let’s go!” A woman says on the other side of her bedroom door.

“I’m coming! Just give me a moment to freshen up, will you?” She says as she's changing her clothes. After 5 minutes, Yongsun rushes downstairs to greet her friend sitting in the living room of her house. She’s a little shorter than her and has short, black hair and her body has a stunning curvy figure that gets hugged by her jeans every time she wears them.

“Hey! Just because you were once the rockstar princess doesn’t mean you can take so long to get dressed,” Her friend, Maria, said in an annoyed tone.

“Yeah? Then stop acting like you’re the boss of me. It’s not like you’re the president or anything. Can we please just go? I have a match and you have an audition Little Miss Broadway. Gosh, I miss those glory days sometimes,” Yongsun says in a yearning tone. It’s almost like she yearns for an escape.

“Okay. One, I'm not going to the audition and Two, just get back into the music business for crying out loud! People come up to me all the time asking about when you’re making a comeback. I keep on telling them that I don’t know. They’re desperate, Yongsun! They really are,” Maria said with every good intention.

In the midst of Yongsun thinking of a comeback answer, she glanced over an important detail that her best friend said and questioned her. "Wait, why aren't you going to your audition?"

"I'm going back to my hometown of Jeonju by train today. I'm teaching a masterclass on how to audition and stay healthy both mentally and physically. After all, there's many things that us musicians have to do. I thought it would also be a good opportunity to give back to the community, you know," Maria says happily.

"That sounds like so much fun! Can you take me with you?" Yongsun puts her puppy face on.

"No. This is my important business. And besides, I don't think you can last for ten nights there. It's not like Seoul. Well, in ways, it can be, but not the craziest amount," Maria tries to explain to Yongsun.

"Well, that's fine with me and I'm okay with you leaving. It's never the same when you're gone though. Maybe I'll go with you next time. I do have to say that I love how you're going back to your roots and are helping out your hometown. I admire that. Also, if you want me to get back into the music industry, you'll need to find me a company that will take me according to my standards. Find one that will not only let me be in charge of my music, but will also let me go on tour. Around the world to be exact. If you can help me find that, I will consider it. Deal?” Yongsun stated.

“Yongsun, you have yourself a deal.” They shake hands and get into Maria’s car.

It’s a fun drive to the boxing arena as usual. Maria and Yongsun blast their music volume up while singing and dancing to their normal car playlist. As soon as the fourth song plays, Yongsun turns off the music and gets serious. It’s her normal routine to get into the best mindset possible before a match. In this case, at a boxing arena in a gym with one of her other friends as her opponent. They have the same trainer and like to have a friendly battle-for-your-life match in the ring to see who’s better. Truth is, Yongsun is and everyone knows it. They still like to do it as friendly competition once in a while.

As soon as the two women get out of the car, a woman similar in body to Yongsun comes over. “Well. I thought you’d never show up!” The voice says.

“Nice to see you too, Nancy. Let’s go in, shall we?” Yongsun says to her boxing friend.

“There you are! I thought you’d miss today’s session!” Her trainer, Donna, says.

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world! You know how much I love being here!” Yongsun hugs Donna and keeps speaking. “It’s also great to see you. And look! Maria decided to show up for once,” she says jokingly.

“Once?” Maria had a grin on her face.

“Twice.” Yongsun pauses. “Fine, the seventh time.” She smiles and gives the younger woman a hug.

As Maria and Donna hug while catching up on the Broadway scheme of things, Yongsun and Nancy are in their corners warming up for their “big fight.” With earbuds in her ear, Yongsun is moving to the beat of the music. She does jumping jacks, shadow punches, and more to wake up the muscles in her body. She sees Nancy doing the same thing and turns around to focus on herself.

“Deep breath,” she says as she inhales deeply. She exhales slowly and does the same thing a few more times before being called by Donna to the ring.

“Okay, you ladies know the rules. So, don’t do anything crazy or stupid to hurt each other. This is friendly, not to the death. Are you ready?”

“Yes!” They both yell. Michelle and Nancy get into their fighting stances, ready to box.

“Then, begin!”

As they begin round one, Yongsun gets the first few hits in. Eventually, Nancy starts to catch up to her and throws a few punches that land on Yongsun’s headgear and arms. As the rounds continue, Maria stops to look towards the front of the gym only to see a purple haired woman dressed in casual clothing standing in the doorway.

Maria walks up to her and asks, “Can I help you?” She looks to see that she’s staring at Yongsun.

As soon as she hears Maria’s voice for the second time, she breaks her staring.

“Oh! Um. Sorry, I couldn’t help, but notice that woman with the purple headgear and gloves on. She looks like someone familiar I think her name starts with a Y.”

“You mean Yongsun,” Maria asks.

“Yes! That’s her name! Yongsun! What’s she doing here in a gym though?” The woman asks.

“She’s having a boxing match with Nancy. You can come inside to watch if you want,” Maria says in an inviting tone.

“I would be honored to.” As the mysterious woman walks in and sits next to Maria, she says “Oh! How rude of me! My name is Byuli. Byuli Moon of - ”

“MoonStar World! Wow! It’s a pleasure to meet you! I’m Maria!”

“Oh my goodness! I knew you looked familiar! You’re Maria Ahn. I heard you’ve been doing musicals around the world. How come you haven’t toured or anything,” Byuli asked with curiosity.

“I’ve been looking for a label to represent me and my friend, Yongsun. What brings you here?” Maria says with excitement.

“Well, you’re talking to the right person then. I actually heard and saw on the news that Yongsun’s no longer signed to a company. I also heard that she loves to train here and thought that I should give it a shot. And, well, here I am,” Byuli says with a hamster-like smile.

“Well, you came to the right place. See, as her best friend, I could tell you what she’s looking for in a company. In fact, we just talked about it this morning. She’s looking for a company that will satisfy her needs and then some.”
“Go on,” Byuli says interested.

Maria says, “See, she needs a company, in her exact words, ‘that will not only let me be in charge of my music, but will also let me go on tour. Around the world to be exact.’ And what she means by music is all of the things that go into it like lyrics, composition, choreography, fashion, and music videos. She wants a company that can be trusted and won’t leave her to rot as soon as they make money off of her like her other company did. Speaking of money, she wants a fair portion of it too. Fulfill all of those requirements and she’s all yours."

"Seems interesting. What about you? You're the one that's helping her, right? Do you want anything from this deal?" Byuli wants to know more about Maria and her story since she hasn't been working very much either.

Maria thinks for a moment and speaks, "Well, I guess with her comes me too then. Okay, I want to be signed to an agency that can continue to help me as a musical actress. I’ve performed a lot here and a bit overseas for a while, but I would really love to record my own music. I’ve put it on hold ever since my uncle passed away five years ago. I promised him that I would still do it, but haven’t had a chance. I'm actually going to visit my family in Jeonju later today for ten nights and teach a masterclass over there."

"I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. And congrats on your masterclass. That sounds like so much fun. Well, Maria, I can totally help you out with music when you get back from your travels. I can get you set up and —”

“Really? That sounds great — ”

“But, I need both of you. You have to get Yongsun to consider it. Otherwise, we’re just sitting ducks. I've seen you perform, and you're absolutely incredible on stage! Every time I see you, your stage presence, vocals, and dancing are top-notch. You would make a great addition to the company! As for Yongsun, she has a gift that she, you, and a handful of other artists have. That's who I want in my company and that's why I want both of you. I want to meet with you when you get back and get more acquainted with you too. While you're gone, I'll work with both Yongsun and my team so that everyone can get the best future that they deserve. And that's a promise. Also, I don't mean to rush you, but I have to go to a meeting to attend. Do we have a deal about you and Yongsun?"

"Yes we do." Maria says with a nod.

Byuli hands her a business card. "Here, have her meet me at this address on my business card. Also, feel free to call and email me at any time while you're in Jeonju, okay? It's important to stay connected. Let me know if you see any talent in Jeonju while you’re at it. Maybe we can get them signed too."

"Okay, will do. Thank you so much.”

“You’re welcome.” Byuli leaves the building, and as she's leaving, she turns her head around and winks at Maria. After witnessing what she just saw, Maria's mind starts to go everywhere, wondering what just happened. She landed a deal with the head of one of the most famous music companies in the world not only for Yongsun, but for her as well.

As soon as the boxing match is over, Byuli is already gone. Yongsun walks up to Maria. “Who was that woman you were talking to?”

“Our way into the music industry,” Maria says with a smile.