It's Okay to Not Be Fine. Be Calm...

You're My Universe

It's the next morning and Yongsun wakes up to see her arms bandaged up. Byuli must've done this while I was sleeping last night she thought. She tries to get out of bed when Byuli comes in with a tray with a bowl of hot soup and a glass of water. Yongsun sits up in bed as Byuli puts the tray on her lap.

"Here, let me feed you," Byuli says.

Yongsun stays still and opens to receive the hot soup. After the soup and water are finished, Byuli puts the tray on a nearby chair and sits at the edge of the bed next to Yongsun. She gently lifts up Yongsun’s arm and kisses the bandages. Little did Yongsun know, Byuli was wearing lipstick and that when she finished kissing the bandages, red kiss marks were left for her to see. "Kisses make everything better. At least, that's what I've read," Byuli says.

"Thank you. I feel much better," Yongsun says with a smile. "About last night, I'm sorry. It's just that when I get upset and in my feelings about something, I hit harder and harder trying to make the pain go away. The bruises are from when my body tenses up. I usually can't see where I'm hitting because my tears fill my eyes so I end up accidentally hitting myself sometimes.” Byuli is silent as she listens. “Boxing has always been a part of my life. It brings out the best and worst in me though. I don't know how to get rid of that mindset completely, but I want to learn how to deal with the bad stuff better, you know? I don't know what to do. I've put it off for so long because I'm always worried about everyone else."

Byuli hugs Yongsun and holds her. "Maybe this is the time to start. First of all, you're already making progress.” She pauses. “See, confession is the best thing. When you tell someone about what you're going through, it takes a lot of weight off your shoulders. Now that you've told me, we can share this together and your problems become mine. I can even help you find a good counselor to talk to if you don't wanna tell me everything. Your mental health comes first above everything. If you wanna do anything for your fans, you have to be mentally and physically ready for it." Byuli gently grabs Yongsun's hands. "We're in this together, babe. I've got your back the whole way no matter what. I love you."

Yongsun looks at their hands and then in the eyes of Byuli. "I love you too." Byuli leans forward to kiss her love and can feel at ease. Her heart was racing for a while and now it's calming down again.

After the kiss, Yongsun says to her, "I would like to try to talk to someone. I really love you, but there are some things that I'm not comfortable with telling you yet."

"That's fine. We'll look for someone asap. You can tell me when you're comfortable. As long as my sun shines, this moon won't go dark."

 

In the hospital room, Maria is sitting on her bed eating breakfast. This hospital food actually isn't too bad she thinks. When she's done with breakfast, a doctor and a nurse come in to check on her.

"Hello Ms. Ahn. We had some results from your tests plus the MRI. Looks like you have nothing major happening to you except for your broken right arm that we cast, the stitches on your right cheek, and whiplash from the impact. You do seem to have some bruising on the rib cage so we'll be giving you some medication for that. Today, we want to make sure that you'll be okay on your own so we'll be discharging you tomorrow. We'll also have to schedule an appointment to remove the stitches as well as check on your arm, neck, and ribs."

"Thank you for your help, Dr. Lee. How's Shelby doing?"

"She's still unconscious, unfortunately. Since she doesn't have any immediate family, we have to ask your parents a few questions regarding her."

"Why my parents?"

"Well, it says here on the papers that her grandmother made your parents in charge of Shelby meaning they get the final say as to what happens to her medically. I spoke to them on the phone a few minutes ago and they've decided to keep her on the machine for as long as possible. They have strong faith that Shelby will wake up as do I and my medical team. I've arranged a car for your parents to be picked up from the train station as well. They should be here at around lunchtime to see you."

"Thank you, Dr. Lee. Thank you and your team for helping us."

"Of course. Get some rest. Here's a wheelchair if you want to go anywhere with your parents. I'll leave it by the door."

 

It's around lunchtime and Maria can hear some familiar voices coming closer from down the hall. As she guessed correctly, her parents were coming to visit her.

"Eomma! Appa!"

"Hi sweetheart," Eomma says as she and Appa carefully hug her. "Byuli and Yongsun told us what happened. I'm so glad you're okay."

"Eomma… Shelby…."

"It's okay. Everything is under control. You don't need to worry. We just have to pray."

"What about the money? Who's going to pay for it? You'll have to sell the house if you try to do that."

"That's taken care of too. Byuli-unnie talked to us and said that she was going to pay for the hospital bills," Appa says. "We tried to talk her out of it, but she kept on insisting. After a while, we just gave up."

"We owe your Byuli-unnie our lives. I don't know where we would be without her. Not to mention your Yongsun-unnie. She’s the older sister to you and has looked after you for all this time. She's so worried about you right now," Eomma says.

"She really is. We haven't talked to her since last night, but I'm sure Byuli has it under control. That woman is a force of nature," Appa says.

"I'm glad you have it settled with Byuli-unnie and Yongsun-unnie. I'm just so worried about Shelby," Maria says as she begins to cry.

"Oh honey, it's going to be alright," Eomma says as she holds Maria in her arms. "She's going to survive. You can count on it. I promise." Eomma let's go of her daughter and hands her a tissue. "Why don't we go get something to eat in the cafeteria, hm? We'll get your wheelchair for you. How does that sound?"

"Sounds good."

 

It's a slow day at the office. By this time, Byuli has sent a message to her team about Shelby and Maria in the car accident and it drained the life out of everyone during the meeting.

"We can't lose hope," Byuli says as she talks to her team. "We must remain strong for Shelby, Maria, and Yongsun."

"Yongsun? What happened to her?" A colleague asks.

"She's best friends with Maria and hasn't been taking this well. Besides that, she's been having a rough time lately. I've been checking on her throughout the day and she seems to be okay, but-" Byulie pauses with eyes widened.

"But what?" Asks another colleague.

"I'm just so worried about her too," Byuli says as she forms tears. "This meeting is dismissed," she says as she runs to her office. When Byuli reaches her office, she goes inside, locks the door, and begins to cry. She looks at the photo frame on her desk with a picture of her and Yongsun on the train where Yongsun had just fallen asleep and put her head on Byuli's shoulder.

After a few minutes of crying, she wipes her tears away with a tissue and stands up from her desk to stretch. She then hears a knock at the door and goes to open it. When she unlocks and opens the door, she sees the beautiful Yongsun standing right in front of her. She backs up to let her unnie in and closes and locks the door right behind her. Yongsun goes to Byuli's desk and sits in the chair in front of it.

"I heard you were worried about me so I wanted to stop by before I went to the hospital," Yongsun says as Byuli sits in her chair facing her. "Are you okay? Tell me what's happening?"

"I'm worried about you. I'm scared."

"Why? What's wrong?"

"I'm worried about you because of what happened last night. You told me that you were going to be careful, but instead, I found you almost lifeless and had to catch and hold you."

"Well, we're working it out. Remember this morning?"

"Yes, but I'm also scared."

"Why are you scared?"

"I'm scared because I'm afraid of losing you. When I saw that you were gone, a million things ran through my brain. I couldn’t even sleep last night."

Yongsun was shocked to hear this coming from her strong Byuli. Byuli was always the strong one especially when it came to Maria and Shelby. Byuli held Yongsun and Maria as they cried. Byuli told them that everything was going to be alright. But in reality, she didn't even know what 'alright' meant. She didn't even know what happiness meant until Yongsun came into her life along with Maria and Shelby.

"Please, Yong, don't scare me like that ever again. I can't live without you. I won't live without you. I won't survive without you."

"Then I won't do it again, Byuli. I promise. I can't live without you either. You are the love of my life. My destiny. My star. My moon," Yongsun says as she hugs her love.

"I promise to always love you. My destiny. My star. My shining sun."

Just then, they both hear a knock at the door. Talk about a mood killer.

“Stay here. I’ll go see who it is,” Byuli says. Byuli opens the door and it’s one of the managers.

“Ms. Moon, the package has arrived with the framed painting and picture,” the man says as he holds it up.

“Ah yes, thank you, Jay. I’ll take these into my office.”

“Of course. Have a great day, Ms. Moon.”

“Thank you. You too, Jay.”

Byuli walks in with two packages in her hands and set in on the front table by the door.

“What was that about? What’s in those packages?” Yongsun asks out of curiosity.

“They’re a painting and picture that Maria wanted me to have framed for her and Shelby. I wanted to make sure that they arrived here safely before we left for the hospital. Maria is gonna want to see those.”

“Alright, then let’s get going. I packed my bag and I’m ready to go.”

“Are you sure you’re okay with staying there?” Byuli asks with concern.

“Of course I’ll be fine. Maria needs me and to be honest, I need her too. She also called me earlier and told me that her parents will be staying with Shelby just in case something happens. So, there’s nothing to worry about. Is that okay?”

“Yes, that's okay.”

 

It’s around 5 pm when they arrive at the hospital. After their agreement earlier, Byuli wanted to get some more work done. Most of it consisted of approving plans for her groups and checking in on everyone to see what other needs they have. Yongsun was a proud girlfriend. They never announced to the world about their relationship, but people could already tell how much she loves Byuli. She followed her everywhere just to meet the other groups and hold onto her arm while walking through the hallways full of practice rooms, recording studios, and classrooms. Everyone was hard at work to help make MoonStar World as successful as can be and it made both Byuli and Yongsun very proud.

As both of the women get out of the car, Byuli holds Yongsun’s hand.

“Are you ready?” She says as she looks at her.

“Yes.”

As both of them enter the building, people are amazed to see them. They let go of each other’s hand and Byuli guides Yongsun to the sign-in desk where a nurse is waiting to them.

“Thank you for meeting us here,” Byuli says to the nurse.

“It's my pleasure. Right this way,” the nurse says as she begins to them to Maria’s room. As soon as they reach her room, laughter can be heard. Clearly, the party was being held there. When the couple enters the room, they’re greeted with hugs from Eomma and Appa.

“Thank you for helping our Maria,” Eomma says.

“Yes and thank you for looking after Shelby as well. We owe you our lives,” Appa says.

“Hey, no need to worry,” Byuli says. “We’re a family. This is what we do. We help each other get through everything no matter how big or small.”

“Or expensive,” Maria says.

“That too,” Byuli says. “Look, I’m sure that I’m doing the right thing because you all would’ve done the same for me if I was hurt. All of you would be here just like I’m here for you. I know it.”

“I know I would be here,” Eomma said and Appa nodded his head in agreement. “We’re always here for all of you.”

“Speaking of being here, I’m sure that you know I’ll be staying with Maria tonight,” Yongsun says.

“Yes, and we’ll be staying with Shelby,” Appa says. “Maria also gets discharged tomorrow and has an appointment soon to take out her stitches.”

“Oh that’s good news,” Yongsun says as she sits on Maria’s bed and holds Maria’s hand.

“Yup! I was thinking about staying at your house for a bit if that’s alright with you, Yongsun unnie,” Maria says.

“Actually, I’ll be staying at Byuli’s. So, maybe we can all stay together? Even Eomma and Appa can too. We can all take turns to watch Shelby for a night.”

“That sounds like a great idea. I’ll get someone to help me with setting up the bedrooms for you all. Since Eomma and Appa will be watching tonight, I’ll take tomorrow night’s watch,” Byuli says.

“Sounds good to us,” Eomma says. “Now, who’s ready for some dinner?”

 

After dinner is finished, everyone says their goodbyes except for Maria and Yongsun who stay in the room. Eomma and Appa hug everyone else goodbye while Byuli kisses Yongsun. When everyone is gone and the door is closed, Maria looks at Yongsun with sad eyes.

“What’s wrong?” Yongsun asks.

“Your arms. Did you box again?” Maria asks.

“Yeah. Byuli got ahold of the gym and got an actual gym in her house for me so that I didn’t have to drive out every day.”

“She must’ve gotten ahold of your lipstick too,” Maria says as she giggles.

Yongsun looks at her bandages. “I guess so.” She looks back at Maria as she sits in her bed that the nurses got for her. “How are you doing though?”

After a moment of silence and looking down, Maria begins to cry. As tears fall down her face, Yongsun holds her best friend and lets her cry on her shoulder.

“I can’t lose her again, unnie. I just can’t. I just got her back. I can’t lose her again. I can’t lose her forever.”

Yongsun is silent as she lets her best friend share her real feelings.

“She’s my angel. She’s my everything. I can’t. I just can’t…”

There’s a moment of silence when Maria stops crying and just leans on Yongsun.

“She’s here in your heart. She’s here in our hearts. She’s…”

Yongsun pauses.

“She’s always here with us.”

After a few more minutes of talking and laughing about who knows what, Maria’s heart rate starts to slow down back to normal and she’s finally calm.

“Shelby isn’t one to give up. She’s a fighter. So, I will fight for her. For us.”

“That’s my Maria.”