I'm Your Fan, Yes I Am

You're My Universe

The next day, Yongsun is on her way to MoonStar World. So many things are going through her head. Of course, her best friend wouldn’t lie to her, but what if this was a prank? "What if Maria wasn’t going to Jeonju and was waiting at this building to make a fool of me? If this was true, what if Byuli was lying? What if she just wanted to use me and my name and then dump me?" It was so hard for Yongsun to focus that she had to pull over.

“Deep breath. Deep breath, Yongsun. It’s going to be okay.”

After five minutes of meditation, she keeps driving and eventually reaches MoonStar World.

When she walks inside, she sees people at the front desk stand up and greet her.

“Ah, Miss Yongsun, we’ve been expecting you,” says the receptionist. “You’ll be on the fifth floor where the CEO is. There’s an elevator to your right. Let me you through the gate,” she says guiding with her arm and walking out from behind the desk. Yongsun slightly bows her head with a smile and proceeds to the gate. The receptionist hovers her work ID card and the gate for Yongsun. As she walks through, she turns around and says, “Thank you very much" to the receptionist to which the receptionist responds giving a warm smiling saying, "You're very welcome" and contacts level 5 to let them know of Yongsun's arrival.

As Yongsun walks to the elevator, people couldn’t stop staring at the legendary rockstar, Yongsun Kim. They talk about how she’s made some of the greatest music there is to date and how much they love her. This made her think about everything. Unfortunately, she was signed to the wrong company a while ago. The company that she was signed to before made her work so much and didn’t let her have the freedom she so desperately wanted. She was a visionary person who was a leader for women all over the world, but she never got to share her true, authentic self with them. All she got to do was attend award shows. She was lucky to meet Maria at one of those two years ago. They instantly became friends and Maria was able to open her eyes and see what she clearly wanted. She’s always wanted to go on a World Tour to see more of her international fans from places like The United States, Canada, France, and Brazil, but never got the chance to. All she’s done was tour a few countries in Asia. She was hoping that this was her chance to change that.

When the elevator door opens to the fifth floor, Yongsun is mesmerized by the area. She walks to the front desk and greets the receptionist.

“Hello, I’m here to see Miss Moon.”

The receptionist looks up, “Yes! Miss Yongsun! Right this way.”

She leads her to Byuli’s office and knocks on the door. “Miss Moon. Yongsun is here to see you.”

“Awesome! Let her in, will you?” Byuli says.

“Go ahead. She’s waiting for you,” the receptionist says.

“Okay. Thank you.” Yongsun walks in and there she is. Byuli Moon, the CEO of MoonStar World. Behind Byuli are plaques and awards of the musicians that she's worked with in the past and those in the present. Clearly, this woman knows what she’s doing. As Yongsun looks around, she finishes by looking at Byuli. She scans the woman from her polished shoes to her suit to her purple hair and finally lands on her eyes. Both women stare at each other as Yongsun walks closer. Finally, Yongsun breaks eye contact when she’s five feet away from the CEO and hears her phone vibrate. When she looks at her phone, she sees a text from Maria.

Maria: Hope everything is going well, unnie! Love you!

Yongsun smiles and puts her phone back in her purse.

"Who was it," Byuli says out of curiosity.

"It was my best friend, Maria. She's in Jeonju and wanted to make sure I was doing okay. She's always looking out for her unnie," Yongsun says with a smile.

“That's so sweet of her. What's sweet about you is your smile,” Byuli says. “It brightens up the room and your eyes. And I see you have a dimple too. How cute.”

Blushing, Yongsun couldn’t help but tilt her head down and let out a giggle.

“And a cute laugh too.”

Yongsun brings her head up. “Is that all I’m here for? To have someone to flirt with?” Yongsun questions.

“No. I’m actually here to talk about you and your future in my company.” Byuli begins.

“Really? And what does that future entail?” Yongsun is interested in what Byuli has to say.

“Well, for starters, I founded this company. I also recently talked to Maria and she said that you both have some specific needs that have to be taken care of if you signed to a company. So, I asked her what they were, and I told her that I would make a deal with her if it included you and your interest.”

“So, you’re using Maria to get to me?” Yongsun’s voice volume is starting to rise.

“No, I’m not. I’m offering the deal for both of you. Both you and Maria have a gift that is really rare in the music world and I want to help you bring that out. I want to represent you in the best way possible and give you what you deserve.”

“And what do you think we deserve?” Yongsun says in a serious tone. She's in business mode.

“I think that you deserve to be recognized for who you truly are. Besides the fact that you’re beautiful, there are also great qualities about you. You love to volunteer and are very outspoken when it comes to issues that you care about. You have a good heart and you love to take care of others. You’re like a leader for women around the world." Byuli pauses to gather her thoughts and continues.

"Here's the thing. You can't love others without loving yourself, and clearly, you don't get time for that. I also think that you deserve happiness. You suffered with that old company and never got to meet your fans in other parts of the world. You never got the rest, the money, and the proper love and care that you needed and wanted. You also never got the freedom of writing your own music, directing music videos, and doing what you want to do when it comes to projects." Byuli stands up properly and makes eye contact with Yongsun. "I’m here to provide all of that and more but only if you’d let me.”

“It’s like she read my mind about what I want. She talked to Maria, but still. This woman is talking about how I’m a leader and role model for women around the world. I’m a woman with needs and wants that deserves everything I didn’t get,” Yongsun thinks to herself.

“Of course you don’t have to make a decision right now, but I just wanted to let you know that that’s what I’m all about at my company. Everyone gets treated with love, fairness, and respect. That’s what makes us different,” Byuli begins. “I want people to flourish and grow in their music, not be brought down and forced to do things against their will. With a supportive environment, the artists realize that there are people in the industry who want what’s best for them. Of course, they have to train and rehearse, but they enjoy doing it because it’s their passion to release and sing a song they wrote and/or dance to their own choreography that they created. There’s always a deadline that we encourage so that they can release the music faster and we have teachers to help guide and teach them, but never force them to do something that they don’t feel comfortable with. We also teach everyone about finances and investments so that they know what to do with the money when they get it. A lot of them usually save it and invest in things that they enjoy to make more money. We also help with necessities like food, housing, and clothing. That’s the difference between me and other companies. I care about my artists and want what’s best for them. It just so happens that when you let people explore their interests, others see that as a positive and want to invest in them as artists and musicians." Byuli pauses to look at Yongsun. "That’s what I want for you too. I’ve always been a fan of yours ever since I was in college. I went to your concert in Seoul. Of course that wasn’t very long ago considering that you’re a year older than me, but I wanted to create a company with you in mind. That’s what was always on my mind. And when I saw you suffering, I knew that I had to do this.”

Yongsun stood there in amazement after Byuli’s speech. Her fan went to college and started a company because of her. And not just any company. One of the newest yet most popular companies in the world. In just two years, MoonStar World became a success because of their hard work and dedication. Even though they’re still new, they already have many hit songs, plaques, and awards.

“What are you thinking?” Byuli says with concern. Yongsun doesn’t know what to say.

“I’m… I...”

“Yes?” Byuli says while leaning on her desk and looking at Yongsun.

“I don’t know what to say. You started this company because of me. You know what's best for artists and musicians. You have an idea, no, you know what I've been looking for. Now, I'm here in your office wanting your offer,” Yongsun says while looking at Byuli’s shoes. “I would like a copy of the agreement. Before I sign it, I would like to go over it myself. What I’m saying is that you have me so far, Miss Moon,” Yongsun says smiling with her head up.

“I’m glad, Miss Yongsun. And please, call me Byuli,” she says with a smile.

“Okay, Byuli.” Yongsun says. “You have a cute smile too. Almost like a hamster.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” Byuli says with glowing eyes.

“Question. Do you always wear a suit when you work with talent?” Yongsun looks at Byuli’s suit and tie. Clearly, it was tailored to fit her slim, muscular body.

“As a matter of fact, no. This is my first time wearing one since the official start of the company. I usually like to wear casual clothes when I’m around talent so that I could learn choreography or something of that nature. I wanted to wear this because I’m meeting someone I want to impress her. I'm sure she's impressed by now,” Byuli says trying to be sly with her words.

“Well, I’m sure she’s impressed. For what it’s worth, it looks absolutely perfect on you,” Yongsun plays along with how she truly felt.

“Perfect, huh? Well, I’ll take that as a win in my books." Byuli grabs a book and turns to a random page and writes something down with her pen.

As she puts her book down, she feels eyes staring at her. Both of the women stare at each other for a moment.

Byuli breaks it by grabbing a bag behind her. “Before I forget, I have a meeting to attend. This bag contains a digital and paper version of the official copy of our agreement. Don't want you going home without it,” Byuli says with a smile.

“Thank you. I have to go to boxing training, but I’ll read it as soon as I get home. That’s a promise,” Yongsun says, taking the bag.

"Wow. It's heavy," Yongsun says while holding it.

"Oh yeah. There's an iPad pro in there. You can keep it if you want," Byuli says. “Good. Let me give you my phone number too so that you can call or text me about anything," she says.

“That’s a good idea. Here you go.” Yongsun hands Byuli her phone.

After Byuli puts her number in and hands it back, Yongsun steps back and smiles.

“Well, today was nice. I’ll walk you out.” Byuli starts walking towards the door and is followed by Yongsun who’s staring at her backside. Purple hair and all of the confidence in the world.

“Thanks again for stopping by. I hope it was no problem for you. It really means the world to me that you came,” Byuli says as she opens the door for Yongsun.

“You’re welcome. It was no problem at all. In fact, it was the best meeting I’ve ever had. You’re really great, Byuli and you’re doing great things. Always remember that,” Yongsun says as she leaves the office.

“Thank you. I will.”

Yongsun leaves with a smile on her face. When she gets to her car, she feels so relieved and immediately texts Maria to tell her what happened.

Yongsun: I just got out of the meeting. I think this is gonna work out for us!

Maria: OMG YAY!!!! I’m so glad! What was she like?

Yongsun: She created the company because of me and saw me in concert while in college! She even wore a suit and tie!

Maria: She wore a suit and tie? But she never wears that. Everyone that knows her told me she never does. Like, never! She must really like you, unnie. Wait. Did she flirt with you?

Yongsun: Yup and I played along ;)

Maria: Ooooohhhhhhh!!!!!! Unnie has a crush on someone!

Yongsun: Oh stop! It’s not a crush. I just couldn't help it. We just have a lot in common and I just so happen to like suits and ties. And she was wearing just that, okay? It’s nothing.

Maria: Whatever you say, unnie.

Yongsun: Anyway, going to you, how’s Jeonju?

Maria: Well, I’m at my parent's house so I can tell you. There’s this woman that I want Byuli to sign. I’ll send a video later. She’s so good, unnie! She’s an indie artist that wants what we want in a company. I think Byuli can really help her!

Yongsun: You know that’s not how indie artists work, right? It also seems like you have a crush on this woman.

Maria: NOOO I DON’T! Also, I thought Byuli could change her mind. You never know... I’ll send the video to her too and see what she says.

Well, alright then. I have to go to Yongsun: boxing class and then read the agreement. Have a good time in Jeonju! Say hi to your parents for me.

Maria: Sounds good. And I will. Love you, unnie!

Yongsun: Love you too! See you soon!