Paint Me a Memory of my Girl Crush (part 2)

You're My Universe

As soon as Maria gets to the bar, she makes it there just in time to see Shelby get on stage. This time, something seems off. Almost like she's been crying.

"Good evening, everyone. My name is Shelby Jung and tonight, I'm going to be changing my set. Usually, I sing covers of songs, but I wanted to sing some original songs that I wrote. These songs are like a journal for me. They express how I truly feel about moments that have happened in my life. The songs that will be singing are called: "I Miss You" and "Goodbye."

Shelby begins to sing "I Miss You:"

When I look at the evening sunset...

On days where the wind feels so good...

When I hear a good song...

When I watch a good movie, I think of you...

Your touch that caressed me...

You used to whine that you missed me...

So much I miss you...

Days that I shared with you

Are not here anymore

On starry nights, always,

So much I miss you

When tears silently fall,

I...you you you you (No, no, no)

Your voice,

So much I miss you (So I miss you)

Yesterday and today,

I...you you you you (No, no)

These days, I sleep with tissues instead of you

My phone playlist is filled with sad songs

Because I feel like they'll

Comfort me like this song

But I miss you

Traces of you remain in my room,

Covered in tears...

I miss you So much...

I...you you you you

(No No No)

So much I miss you

I....you you you you

The whole bar erupts in cheer as Shelby finishes her first song. As the applause dies down, she starts playing her guitar to start the next song.
Shelby begins sing "Goodbye:"

It can be like that sometimes, I thought

I tried forgetting

Everything from the past

I tried my best, I tried starting over

Because I knew you were the only one for me

I really tried....

I'm not completely over it, but

The reason it's this hard is

When I first met you

The heart-fluttering memories

They're as clear as yesterday

So they won't get erased....

Like a memory that never existed

So I can erase you

Please don't say anything

Why, did I

Foolishly believed

Everything you had said

How do you expect me to forget it all?

The "you" I have known

Now feels like a lie

Everything we had together since we first met

Let's break up

The two of us now....

As soon as she finishes singing, Shelby says with tears in her eyes, "Those are the songs. I hope you enjoyed them. This will be my last performance for a little while. Thank you as always for your support." After that, she left the stage and went backstage to put her guitar in her case.

As soon as Shelby finishes, everyone has tears in their eyes especially Maria. With tears streaming down her face, Shelby leaves the bar with her guitar case in hand and following her is Maria.

"Shelby..... Shelby!" Maria is shouting out, but Shelby isn't turning around or acknowledging her. Without thinking, Maria runs towards her first love and catches up to her. Just as she reaches her, she opens her arms to grab Shelby's waist to hug her from behind. Shelby stops walking and freezes. She can feel the back of her head, hair, and neck getting wet from the tears coming from Maria crying.

After five minutes of standing in the same place, Shelby speaks, "I thought you'd never remember."

"I didn't, but my parents told me about you. They told me everything, showed me everything. They told me about how we used to hang out in middle school and you could come home with me sometimes. When I told her you were my girl crush, my first love. Before I left, I made a promise to you that I would call you and come back to you whenever I could. But when I went to school in Seoul, everything was so crazy. But the craziest of all was that I broke my promise to you. You wanted me to be happy. But, you were never happy. You were always in pain especially after your grandmother passed away. You wrote the songs because of me. You missed me, but now that I'm here, you want to forget about the past because it hurts you. You want to say goodbye to the moments we shared together. You gave me everything when I gave you nothing. I broke my promise to you. And now that I'm here and I see you, I know you, and hear you, I don't ever want to let go. I don't want to say goodbye. Not now, not ever. Please... At least think about it, Shelby...."

There's silence....

Shelby couldn't contain her pain anymore. She drops her guitar case on the ground and speaks: "Do you know how I felt when you left me? I'm not mad that you left. I'm mad that you never returned my calls and texts, you told me you'd come back when you didn't, you changed your number without telling me... You promised these things that you didn't deliver on."

Shelby pauses and sighs.

"When I looked at you last night, all of those memories came back. I said yes to your compromise because I thought that I could start over, but as soon as I got home, I really couldn't. I told your parents that I wanted to cancel tomorrow since I didn't have your number, but they told me to give you a chance. And right now, I don't know if I can. I'm just... huh... I'm just so conflicted with everything that's happening right now. You all of a sudden coming back into my life as if nothing ever happened between us? What am I supposed to do about that? How am I supposed to react? It's so hard to deal with..."

"And I understand that. I know it's hard to see me and look at me. You can take as long as you want. You can take a few days or even a few years for all I care. You can put me in as much pain as you want. I don't care! I will fight for us till my last breath. I will move here just to be with you. Just know that I'll be waiting for you no matter what, and that's a promise that I'm not breaking," Maria says as she lets go of Shelby's waist.

Shelby turns around to face Maria. "I hope you don't." She pauses. "At least give me your number so that I don't have to call your parents."

As soon as Maria puts her phone number into Shelby's phone, Shelby grabs her phone, picks up her guitar case, and leaves into the darkness just like she did the night before... only this time in tears.