HIP = Happiness is Present

You're My Universe

As Maria wakes up next to Shelby in the hospital room, she opens her journal and sees that it's day 58. She then kisses Shelby’s hand.

“Good morning, my angel,” Maria says in a soft voice. She proceeds to brush her teeth and get ready for the day. As she’s about to leave, she all of a sudden hears some moving from Shelby’s bed. In an instant, she turns around to see Shelby opening slowly opening her eyes.

“Maria?” Shelby says weakly. “Where am I?”

Maria walks to Shelby and slowly hugs her. “You’re with me, baby. You’re here.”

Shelby weakly tries to hug Maria. “Yes, I’m here. Where am I though?”

“You’re in the hospital because a car crashed into us. The doctors and nurses have done their best to save you.”
“Wow. That really happened,” Shelby said. “Ow!”

“What happened? What’s wrong?” Maria asked. “Wait here, I’ll go get a nurse.” Maria walks out of Shelby’s room. She finds the nurse’s station and tells them what happened. A team of nurses go back to Shelby’s room with her to see for themselves.

“Hello, Ms. Jung. How are you feeling?” One of the nurses asks her.

“My body hurts,” Shelby says as she’s in pain.

“Ah Ms. Jung. You’re in pain?” Dr. Lee asks.

“This is Dr. Lee. She’s been helping us with everything. I’ll go call everyone to come over,” Maria says. She grabs her phone from her bag and begins to leave.

“Ah okay. Anyway Dr. Lee, yes, I’m in a bit of pain,” Shelby says.

“Well, that’s normal considering what injuries you’ve endured. Is there anything else that you’re feeling? Any other pains that you’re feeling?” Dr. Lee asks.

“Not really. My body feels a bit weak.”

“That’s normal as well. You’ve been asleep for almost 2 months.”

“Wow. That’s a long time.”

“Yes. It’ll take a bit of time for your body to recover, but I believe that you’ll get through it.”

“How will my body recover?”

“Well, we have to slowly help you do different tasks. Our team of therapists will be able to help you with that. I will also be checking on you twice a week to see your progress and check on your body.”

“How long will this take?”
“You’re able to talk which is a very good sign. We’ll have to feed you while your body recovers from your injuries. Eventually, you’ll have to learn how to walk and eat again. The amount of time it takes depends on how your body responds to everything.”

“I’m willing to do whatever it takes to get better. I want to be able to perform again, Dr. Lee.”

“With that attitude, you’ll be able to do anything.”

 

A few minutes pass after Dr. Lee and her nurses leave Shelby. She looks at her hands with IV’s in them and wonders what all of them do. She follows the tubes which led to different machines to show her heart rate and other things that she doesn’t understand.

As she turns towards the door, she sees a purple-haired woman leaning on the door frame. “Hey there, Shelby.”

“Unnie!!!!” Shelby yells and Byuli gives her the biggest hug.

“Yongsun!!!!” Yongsun gives Shelby a huge hug.

“Hey there, sweetheart,” Eomma says as she and Appa hug Shelby.

“Everyone’s here,” Maria says. “They’ve been at Byuli’s house while I was here with you during the night.”

“You were all here for me?” Shelby asks.

“Of course, you’re our family,” Byuli says. 

“All of us here are family,” Eomma says.

“We support one another no matter what,” Appa says.

“We love each other no matter what,” Yongsun says as she side-hugs Byuli.

“We care for each other no matter what,” Byuli says.

“We stay with each other no matter what,” Maria says.

Shelby is on the verge of tears. “Thank you, all of you. I love you all so much.”

“What did the doctors say about your condition?” Eomma asks.

“Dr. Lee said that it’s great that I can talk. She also said that when my body is strong enough, I’ll get to learn how to walk and eat again. Not too long after that, I’m sure that I’ll get to start performing again,” Shelby says with a smile.

“That’s great. How long did she say,” Eomma asks.

“It depends on how my body responds to everything and how much I’m willing to do to get better. As far as I know, I’m willing to do anything and everything,” Shelby says.

“Then, we’ll be with you every step of the way,” Yongsun says.

“Yes, and we’ll come by often to visit of course,” Appa says.

“And we’ll continue to love you and bring you up,” Maria says.

“Unnie, what about you?” Shelby asks Byuli. “What’s going to happen to MoonStar World?”

Byuli looks at Shelby in the eyes. “Don’t worry. Everyone will wait for as long as it takes. Take your time to heal so that you can be better than ever. There is no rush at all. I’ll also be paying for everything so that Eomma and Appa have no expenses. No family member of mine will pay for anything while I’m here.”

“Unnie, you don’t have to,” Shelby says.

“I know that, but I want to. I love you and everyone here so much. Please let me do this.”

“Okay, unnie. I will. I’ll get better so that I can create music again.”

“Just focus on yourself, and let us take care of the rest.”

“Thanks, unnie.”

6 months later

“That’s it, Shelby! You’re almost there!” Nurse Alyssa says as Shelby walks towards her.

“Just one step at a time, sweetheart,” Nurse Sarah says as she spots Shelby.

Shelby grabs Nurse Alyssa’s hands and the three women have the biggest smiles on their faces including Dr. Lee who was overseeing Shelby’s progress.

“Looks like you’ve been improving. I think you should be fine to go home by next week,” Dr. Lee says with a huge smile on her face.

“Really? Thanks, Dr. Lee!” Shelby says as she walks to her with Sarah and Alyssa.

“Thank you, Sarah and Alyssa, for always being there for me every step of the way.”

“It’s our pleasure!” Alyssa says.

“Yes, and please come back to visit us and let us know how the music comes along too,” Sarah says.

“Ah yes! I almost forgot! I’ll give you signed albums and VIP tickets for sure!
Shelby says happily. “You too, Dr. Lee.”

“Why thank you, Shelby,” Dr. Lee says. “I’m so proud of you and all of the progress that you’ve made. Now, let’s go get you your x-ray to see how your body is holding up.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

 

“Hey!” Shelby says as Maria enters the hospital room. Maria goes to Shelby’s bed and kisses her lips.

“Any good news?” Maria asks.

“Well, I had my check up and Dr. Lee thinks I can go home next week depending on the results of my x-rays and other tests.” Shelby says.

“Oh, that’s great! When is she coming back?”

“In a few minutes. I wanted to get my results with you here.”

“Thanks for waiting.”

“You know I couldn't do this without you.”

Just as they were about to kiss, Alyssa and Sarah walk into the room unannounced.

“So, this is the famous girlfriend you were talking about.” Sarah says.

“Yup!” Shelby says. She looks over to Maria. “Babe, these are my caregivers and therapists, Alyssa and Sarah. I kinda told them about you and my singing.”

“Ah. Well, it’s really nice to meet you. Thank you for taking care of my girlfriend all this time. I really appreciate it.”

“You’re very welcome, Maria. It’s nice to finally meet you after hearing all of these stories about you and Shelby having us watch so many videos of you. It’s refreshing to see you in person at least. Now we know you’re the real deal,” Sarah said.

“You made them watch videos of me?” Maria asked.

“Well, they were really interested since I told them that you’ve traveled the world and performed. They’re from the United States like Angel and really enjoy opera.”

“Wow, really?” Maria asked.

“Yup!” Sarah said.

“Did you tell them about New York too?”

“Yup!” Alyssa said.

“And I’m assuming that they wanna come too?” Maria asked.

“Actually, I’m planning on going there with my husband. We’re then going to visit there together after I visit my family in Colorado,” Sarah said.

“What about you, Alyssa?” Maria said.

“Well,” Alyssa is hesitant. “You see…” Alyssa stops again as she sees everyone looking at her. “There’s this woman that I really like, but I don’t know if she likes me back,” she says as she sits in the chair by Shelby and Maria. Sarah follows her lead as well.”

“Wait, didn’t she say yes or is this someone else?” Shelby asked.

“The truth is, I never asked her out,” Alyssa says.

“Wait… You didn’t ask her out?” Shelby asks.

“Yeah. I was too nervous. Honestly, I don’t think I’m good enough for her,” Alyssa says with sadness.

“What do you mean you don’t think you’re good enough for her? You’re a nurse who helps save lives and are incredibly beautiful. Why are you belittling yourself like that?” Sarah says.

“I don’t know,” Alyssa says.

“Well, for starters, you’re not confident enough and I’ve seen your wardrobe outside of work. Maybe we need to go ‘Queer Eye’ on you,” Sarah says.

“Yeah, and since you love to sing, you can come visit MoonStar World to get some help. Maria and I will help you as well any way we can. We can do that right, Maria?” Shelby says.

“Of course. Anything you need. You can even move into my old apartment. It’s very spacious and I think you’d love it,” Maria says.

“Wait, what about the old apartment?” Shelby asked.

“I got something nicer a little bit bigger. Ever since I’ve moved back to South Korea, I’ve been making a lot of money. So, I thought that I could get a nicer place for you and me to stay in,” Maria says.

“You really got the place?” Shelby asked.

“It’s not the one I showed you. It;s a different one. You’ll see one we get there,” Maria said. “Back to the real issue here. Alyssa? What do you think?”

“It would be nice to move out from where I live now. I’ve been thinking about it for a while, but put it aside because of work. I’ll do it. I’ll move into your old apartment,” Alyssa says.

“Thank goodness,” Sarah says. 

“Good. I move out soon so you don’t have to worry about anything. I’ll have the place ready for you. It’s walking distance from MoonStar World so you should be fine,” Maria says. “As for wardrobe, I think I need to take you shopping once we get you moved in.”

“Alright,” Alyssa says.

“Now, are you sure you’re up for this? You seem kinda hesitant,” Sarah says.

“Well, I just don’t want to change myself for a woman that I really like. I want to be for myself. I want to make sure that I’m doing this for the right reasons, you know? I love her, I really do. I would love to do all of this for myself though. I could really use a nicer place and better wardrobe,” Alyssa says.

“That’s good to hear that you’re wanting to take good care of yourself,” Maria says.
“Yeah. This is just the first step. Do something that you want to do instead of forcing something that you don’t like or want upon yourself,” Shelby says.

“Alright. Maybe I’ll ask her out before I move. That way, I’ll be like a refreshing start. New place, new girlfriend, new, wardrobe, New York. I’ll still have this job of course! There’s no way I’m leaving here,” Alyssa says.

“Well, good because we don’t want you to leave,” Dr. Lee says as she enters the room.

“Dr. Lee, didn’t see you there,” Alyssa says as she stands up.

“Don’t worry. I only heard that you weren’t leaving,” Dr. Lee says with a smile. “Now, about your results.”

“Yes?” Shelby says.

Dr. Lee turns off the light and turns on a board-like machine and puts up the printed x-rays. “It looks like everything has been healing properly. The other doctors and I haven’t seen anything that would stop you from going home. Your ribs, leg, arm, and clavicle seem to be healing just fine.” She turns the lights back on. “I also discussed the results of your tests with other doctors and they say that everything is pretty much normal. You will still have to come back here for physical therapy and check ups once in a while and I recommend that you still see your counselor. Other than that, you are one very healthy human being. I should expect for you to go home next week.”

“Wow, thank you, Dr. Lee,” Shelby says.

“You’re welcome. As for you, Maria. You seem to be doing fine as well. Is everything okay?”

“Yes. I couldn’t feel any better,” Maria says as she side hugs Shelby. “We couldn’t have done it without all of you. Thank you.”

“Thank you for trusting us,” Dr. Lee says.

 

One week later.

 

“You ready to go, babe?” Maria asks.

“Yeah, I just have to make sure that I have everything,” Shelby says as she reaches up to grab something from her top shelf. Just then, Maria reaches and grabs it before she can lift her arms.

“Don’t worry, I got it. Just sit down on the bed while I pack up for you,” Maria says.”
“Thank you. Don’t forget anything okay?”

“Don’t worry, I won’t.”

A few minutes after Maria finishes packing, Dr. Lee comes into the room. “Looks like you’re all set! Here are your papers and I will see you again for your check up, alright?”

“Thank you, Dr. Lee,” Shelby says.

“Yes, thank you for everything,” Maria says as she grabs the folder of papers.

“Take good care of each other now,” Dr. Lee says.

“Of course we will,” Maria says with a smile.

As they exit the elevator on the main floor and go towards the hospital entrance, Sarah and Alyssa are there to see them leave. Shelby reaches out to hug them and they all embrace in a group hug. They all take a picture together with Maria in it thanks to another nurse that was passing by and proceed to say their goodbyes.

After the couple leaves the hospital, Maria helps Shelby in the car and their driver starts taking them to their new home. Shelby begins to notice and decides to speak up.

“Wait, where are we going?” Shelby asks.

“We’re going to our new home. It’s just past the gate,” Maria says.

“But, these houses are expensive,” Shelby says.

“Yeah, I know,” Maria says.

As the driver pulls up to the gate, the security guard looks at Shelby and Maria and opens the gate for their car to pass through. After they pass through the gate, beautiful houses fill their views and all of a sudden, they’re high enough where they can see the ocean. The driver then turns into another street and stops the car in front of the new house.

“We’re here. Come on, I’ll show you around. And with that, Shelby gets out of the car and proceeds to go to the front door.