A Recipe for Gleam

You're My Universe

It’s Friday and Yongsun puts her bags in her car after eating breakfast. She’s about to leave for the train station when all of a sudden, Byuli pulls up in her driveway.

“Hey, I thought we could take your car to the station if you don’t mind,” Byuli said as she got out of her car.

“Not at all. I just wished you’d have told me sooner. That way I could’ve just picked you up from your house,” Yongsun says as she gets out of her car. She walks up to Byuli and gives her a hug and a peck on the cheek.

“You can put your bags in the trunk and put your car in my garage,” Yongsun says with a smile on her face. “Woooo! I’m so excited!” Yongsun jumps up and down excitedly. Byuli sees this and giggles to herself.

After Byuli finishes moving her bag into Yongsun’s car and moving her car into the garage, she goes into the passenger’s seat of Yongsun’s car. “Wow. Now I get to see you drive,” she says while looking at Yongsun. “I hope you’re a good driver.” She puts on her seatbelt.“Don’t worry. I’ll get us there in one piece,” Yongsun says as she starts up the engine.

As soon as they park at the train station, Byuli rushes out of the car to grab the bags.

“Byuli, wait. Slow down. There’s no rush,” Yongsun says. “Here, let me grab my suitcase.” Yongsun starts to grab her bag and is immediately rejected by Byuli.

“Let me do it. You can grab our tickets while I bring our bags up,” Byuli says.

“Are you sure? The bags are quite heavy,” Yongsun says as she starts to move her hands towards her bag.

Byuli proceeds to grab her hands. “I’m sure I can do it,” she says with a reassuring smile.

“Okay. I’ll go get our tickets then, but at least let me grab my backpack,” Yongsun says. Without a word, Byuli hands Yongsun her back and watch Yongsun walk away.

When Yongsun reaches the counter, she looks back at Byuli to make sure she’s okay then looks at the woman.

“Hello. How may I help you, miss?” The lovely woman at the window said.

“Hello. I would like two tickets to Jeonju.”

“Alright. Let me check on that for you,” the woman said.

“Thank you,” Yongsun says in reply.

A few clicks later, the woman says, “May I please have your form of payment?”

As Yongsun is about to pull out her wallet, Byuli hands her credit card. “I’m the other person she needed a ticket for,” Byuli says. The woman swipes her card and hands both of them a pass to get onto the train along with Byuli’s card.

“Well, here are your tickets. The train to Jeonju will take a little less than 3 hours. Enjoy your ride,” the woman says with a smile.

“Thank you. We will,” Yongsun says with a smile.

“Thank you,” Byuli says.

They walk to the train platform together and sit on a bench.

“Now, all we do is wait,” Yongsun says.

“Yup,” Byuli says. “Hey. Didn’t Maria say it was four hours to Jeonju?”

“Well, we’re taking the fast train, I guess,” Yongsun said.

“Darn. I wanted the slow one,” Byuli says in defeat.

“Why?” Yongsun asks.

“To spend more time with you,” Byuli says as she kisses her cheek.

“Yah! We’re in public,” Yongsun says in annoyance and slaps Byuli’s arm as she laughs.

The train arrives and Byuli and Yongsun sit together. Yongsun checks her phone and shows Byuli.

“Look, she’s excited to see us,” she says with a smile then looks at Byuli with loving eyes. Just as Byuli was about to close the gap between them, someone interrupted them.

“Sorry to disturb you, but, are you Yongsun? This Yongsun,” she says as she holds up her phone to show a picture of Yongsun in concert.

“Yes, that’s me,” Yongsun says with a smile.

“I thought you looked familiar. So, you ARE best friends with Maria. Okay, now I can tell my husband. Are you going back into music anytime soon?” The woman asks.

“I hope so. I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately,” Yongsun whispers.

“Well, if you ever do, I’ll be the first in line to buy your album and see you in concert.” The woman says. “Well, I'll let you and your girlfriend be,” she says with a smile.

“Wait, hold on. She’s not my girlfriend,” Yongsun says to the woman.

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” the woman says.

“Not yet anyway,” Byuli says with a smile and a wink.

The woman starts giggling as she says, “Okay. Thank you both for your time” and walks back to her seat.

“Looks like you’re stuck with me now, unnie,” Byuli says jokingly.

“Not quite,” Yongsun says. “You’ve never asked me about dating.”

“What about last night?” Byuli asks while holding Yongsun’s hand. “I thought that was a sign.” She pauses and looks into Yongsun’s eyes. “I really really like you, unnie. I always have. Yes, I’m a fan who has a company created because of you. Aside from that, I’m a woman who loves her family and friends and will do everything to help and protect them. You know that and have seen it.” She pauses again. “I just want to be with you.”

“I remember you telling me about being a fan and that doesn’t matter to me. The fact that you love your family and friends, that you give to others and want what’s best for them is incredible. That’s what I look for in someone. I also look for things like honesty, communication, a sense of humor, safety, and happiness. I’m glad to have met you who has all of those traits and more,” Yongsun says and pauses. “ In all honesty, I just want to be with you. I know it’s fast, but from the moment I met you, there was something in me that just made me know that you’re the one.”

“Funny, I felt the same way about you. It’s like we were destined to be together,” Byuli says.

“Exactly! Well then, I guess you’re stuck with me, Byuli. Also, last night doesn’t count. That was more like friends falling in love. Dating is like us right now and there’s nowhere I’d rather be than here with you,” Yongsun says as she kisses Byuli’s cheek.

“Then we start right now. Also, you missed,” Byuli says.

“No, I didn’t,” Yongsun says defensively.

“Yes, you did,” Byuli says slowly. “This is where you’re supposed to kiss your girlfriend.” She proceeds to lightly grasp Yongsun’s face with her hands and kisses her on the lips. “There. It’s one of the most preferred places, but you can also kiss here.” She kisses her left cheek. “Here.” She kisses her right cheek. “Here,” she whispers into Yongsun’s left ear. “Here,” she says as she whispers in her right ear. “Here,” she says as she kisses her neck.

Yongsun is losing her mind but keeps her composure. “Okay, stop! We’re on a train,” she whispers loudly.

“I know,” Byuli whispers and keeps going.

“Okay, stop or else you’re sleeping on the floor all by yourself. I don’t care how many beds we have in the room,” Yongsun whispers.

“You win,” Byuli whispers as she pulls away.

The rest of the train ride reminded them of the tension at the restaurant. Only this time, they have to live with it for what felt like an eternity.

After that eternity, they finally arrive in Jeonju with Yongsun’s head on Byuli’s shoulder. She fell asleep around thirty minutes into the trip according to Byuli’s memory. Before Byuli wakes her up, she pulls out her phone and takes a picture of her and Yongsun to remember the sweet moment.

“Unnie, we’re here,” Byuli whispers to the sleeping beauty and kisses the side of her head. “Unnie, wake up. Maria is waiting for us,” she says as she begins to shower her with kisses.

“Okay. I’m up,” Yongsun says as she stretches. She stands up after Byuli and gets her backpack with Byuli rolling their suitcases. Just as the lovebirds get off the train, they’re greeted by Maria.

“Unnie! You made it,” she screams as she hugs Yongsun. “Finally,” she says as she proceeds to hug Byuli. Byuli proceeds to get her and Yongsun’s bags put them in the car.

As soon as Yongsun and Maria are left alone, Maria has a smile on her face and starts to giggle.

“What’s so funny,” Yongsun asks as they start walking to the car.

“What happened?” Maria says cheekily.

“Nothing! I have nothing to say,” Yongsun says as she smiles and blushes.

“I knew it! You two are together, aren’t you?” No matter how hard Yongsun tries, Maria is a great detective. She always knows when something’s up when it comes to her best friend.

“Well, it’s official today between us,” Yongsun says. Maria proceeds to hug her.

“So, is she good to you? Do you like how she kisses?” Maria asks curiously.

Yongsun lightly pushes the younger woman. “Yes and yes. I like them a lot. Honestly, I haven’t felt anything like how I feel right now with her. When we talked on the train, we talked about how we both felt that we were meant to be together. Like, it’s our destiny.”

“Huh. I kinda felt that you two would make a good pair when I talked to her. She spoke so highly of you and was interested in everything I had to say about you. You two are perfect for one another,” Maria says.

“Thanks, Maria,” Yongsun says and gives her a hug.

“And… When did the kiss happen, hm?” Maria asks jokingly.

“It happened last night when we went out together and on the train ride here,” Yongsun says.

“Why didn’t you tell me?!” Maria says happily.

“Because I wanted to tell you in person,” Yongsun tried to make up a good enough excuse, but Maria didn’t buy it as usual.

“Excuses, excuses. Well, I’m glad you’re here. Now, we can go to the venue, and you guys can help me one more song,” Maria says excitedly.

“Sounds good to me,” Yongsun says.

As the two walk to the car hand in hand, they see Byuli leaning on the side of the car waiting for them.

“Hey, I think there’s a stranger leaning on your car, Maria. Should we see who it is?” Yongsun says as they walk up to Byuli.

“Yeah, I think so too. What should we do?” Maria says with a weird look on her face.

“I think we should ask why they’re there,” Yongsun says. “I’ll go first.”
Yongsun walks up to Byuli with Maria going to the driver's side of the car. “Excuse me, what are you doing leaning on my best friend’s car?” Yongsun playfully asks Byuli.

“Who? Me? Oh, um… I’m just waiting for my girlfriend. See, she has short hair, like yours and has the most gorgeous eyes like yours, and oh my gosh! She’s wearing the exact same outfit as you are! You even sound just like her!” Byuli says playing along.

“Well, why don’t you just ditch her and come with me instead?” Yongsun asks as she is a few inches away from Byuli.

“Sorry, I can't. I love her too much to do that. You’ll have to find someone else,” Byuli says and Yongsun has the biggest smile on her face knowing that Byuli wouldn’t ever leave her. They both smile at each other, lost in the eyes of one another. Just then, they start to hear the engine of the car roaring. Little did they know, Maria was already in the driver’s seat watching them. She rolls down the front passenger window to talk to them.

“Get in, lovebirds. I have a soundcheck in a few minutes,” Maria says. “Either you leave right now with me, or you walk.”

Byuli and Yongsun proceed to get into the car with Byuli opening the front passenger's seat for Yongsun and Byuli going in the middle back where everyone can see her.

The ride isn’t long and they arrive just in time to meet some of the crew that’s helping out Maria for Saturday’s performance. As Maria is singing, both Byuli and Yongsun are in the audience mesmerized by her voice. In between songs, Maria would ask the pair how she did. They always gave her a compliment then constructive criticism because Yongsun knew that’s how she liked getting feedback the most. As time went on, Yongsun whispered to Byuli that Maria wanted them to help her write a song. Right when she said that Byuli stood up and jumped onto the stage after Maria’s last song was finished.

“Okay, first of all, that was amazing. Second, what did you want your song to be about? Yongsun told me you wanted to write a song with us.”

“I want it to be a fun song. Remember the girl crush era not very long ago in Kpop? I want to do something like that,” Maria says.

“Well, there’s three of us. I’m sure one of us can come up with a part of the song,” Yongsun says as she joins the others on stage.

“Ooh! I got it!” Byuli says. “Hey you, you’re on thin ice

I can’t make up my mind like a blowing reed. Why can’t you be cool? I just wanna be ‘awesome girl’ -”

“Girl Crush!” Yongsun yells.

“Yes! Keep going!” Byuli says.

“Cool! Every day I do,” Maria sings.

“Go! Girl Crush,” Yongsun yells.

“Red color lipstick, My behind like an apple hip,” Byuli raps.

“Go! Girl Crush,” Yongsun and Maria yell.

“Cool! Every day I do,” Yongsun sings.

“Go! Girl Crush! Cash money, I make enough myself,” Byuli raps.

“Go! Girl Crush,” the three yell.

“I love myself,” Yongsun sings.

After thirty minutes of singing and laughing, they come up with the song and name it “Girl Crush.”

“You guys HAVE to perform it with me tomorrow night,” Maria says.

"Why do we have to do it with you though?” Byuli asks.

“Because it’s fun and we all wrote it together. Also, who’s gonna yell ‘Go! Girl Crush!’ when it’s time? Maria can’t do it and sing at the same time. Besides, you came up with the rap in like five minutes,” Yongsun says trying to reason with Byuli.

“I’m not one to perform though. What if I mess up?” Byuli says trying to get out of it.

“You’re not going to mess up. We have a monitor in the front in case you want to look at the lyrics,” Maria says.

“That and we’re going to be here with you. I’ve seen you dance so don’t even try to get out of not dancing either. It’s supposed to be fun. It’ll be a great surprise for everyone. Please do it,” Yongsun says.

“Yes! Please do it! Shelby says she’s gonna be there. If not for anyone, do it because my life depends on it,” Maria says.

“Alright, I’ll do it. Shelby says she’s gonna come?” Byuli says.

“Yes, just yesterday when I saw her,” Maria says with a smile. “We went to the tree that we passed by. It used to be our secret place when we were kids. I went there and she was there too. We talked and she forgave me. Then, we went out to dinner and I took her home.”

“Wow! That’s so amazing! I’m so glad things worked out for you both, Maria,” Yongsun says as she hugs her best friend.

“Me too. I’m really happy for you both. By the way, I would still like to sign her. I’m sure you can get me in touch with her, right?” Byuli says.

“Of course,” Maria says as she enjoys the group hug with her unnies.

It’s six in the evening when they leave the venue which is just in time for dinner.

“Shouldn’t we check in to a hotel or something,” Byuli asks.

“Nonsense! My parents already arranged for you to have the guest room. You’ll have to share the bed, but I’m sure that wouldn't be a problem,” Maria explained.

Byuli looks at Yongsun. “She already knew,” Yongsun said.

“You see, unnie, I’m what they call a detective I’m as good as they come!” Maria says proudly.

“Hm. Noted,” Byuli says.

“I’m just messing with you. Yongsun unnie wears her heart on her sleeve. You should’ve seen her face when I asked her. She was blushing and everything!” Maria starts laughing and Byuli joins her.

“Yah! That’s enough about me!” Yongsun says as she slaps Byuli’s arm and elbows her stomach when she doesn't stop.

When they get to Maria’s house, they get out of the car with Yongsun grabbing her backpack and Byuli getting their suitcases.

“So, this is your childhood home?” Yongsun asks.

“Yes, this is where I grew up until I moved to Seoul for high school,” Maria says.
“It’s beautiful,” Yongsun says.

“There they are,” Eomma says as she runs out to greet their house guests.

“It’s about time you showed up!” Appa says with the biggest smile.

“Eomma, Appa, this is my best friend Yongsun and her girlfriend, Byuli. They’re here from Seoul,” Maria says happily.

“It’s so nice to finally meet you, Yongsun,” Eomma says as she hugs her. “As for you Byuli, welcome to the family!” She then hugs Byuli as Maria and Appa are beginning to laugh.

“Thank you for letting us stay here Mr. and Mrs. Ahn,” Byuli says to Eomma and Appa.

“You’re welcome, sweetheart. Just call us Eomma and Appa. No need for Mr. And Mrs. We’re too fun for that,” Eomma says in a teasing manner.

“Of course,” Byuli says.

“Aw, lighten up, kid. You’re so stiff,” Appa says as he pats Byuli on the back. “We’re a fun group of people. Come on, let’s have some dinner. After that, we’ll show you where you’ll be staying.”

Dinner was a blast in everyone's opinion. It was full of stories that everyone told about themselves and A LOT of laughter. Not to mention, Byuli and Yongsun hadn’t eaten a home-cooked meal in ages. So when they saw their favorite meals prepared for them, they couldn’t help but eat to the point where they had seconds with just enough room for dessert which just so happened to be ice cream.

After dinner was finished, Byuli and Yongsun bring their bags into the room that they’ll be sleeping in. The bedroom literally looked like a fancy hotel room, but better. It still had the homey feeling that the two of them loved the most.

“You two enjoy your stay at the Ahn Hotel,” Eomma says.

Byuli and Yongsun start laughing. “We will,” they say together.

As soon as Byuli closes the door, she sees Yongsun happily looking at her from where she’s standing by the bed. Byuli walks over to Yongsun and embraces her by putting her arms around her lover’s waist while passionately kissing her.

“You know we can’t do this here, right?” Yongsun says.

“I know. You just looked so beautiful standing there,” Byuli says as Yongsun puts her hand onto Byuli’s chest. Just as Yongsun is about to ask a question, they hear a knock at the door. The two separate quickly and begin unpacking.

“Come in,” Yongsun says when they’re both in position.

Maria comes in to see the two unpacking their suitcases. “Hey, I just wanted to tell you that the song is completely finished and that we’ll be able to perform it tomorrow.”

Byuli turns her head to make eye contact with Maria. “Awesome! We can rehearse it in the morning and then you can show us around town.”

“Sounds like a plan. Goodnight you two,” Maria says as she’s leaving. “Oh! And by the way, no funny business. These walls are pretty thin and this is my parent’s house. Don’t do anything crazy.” Maria leaves and closes the door behind her.

Both Yongsun and Byuli look at each other. Byuli gets up with her pajamas in hand and goes to the bathroom.

“What does she think I am?” Byuli asks as she takes off her shirt.

“Temptation,” Yongsun whispers as she hugs Byuli from behind by putting her arms around her waist and kisses the back of the younger woman’s neck.

They both look into each other’s eyes through the mirror.

“Nice abs,” Yongsun says without hesitation as she feels her lover’s muscles.

“Thanks. You too, unnie,” Byuli says. They pause in place.

“I can’t do this,” Yongsun says as she walks back into the bedroom.

“Do what,” Byuli asks as she changes into her pajamas.

“Sleep here. I find myself doing things I’ve never done with anyone. I can’t do it, especially because I’ve never been in a relationship before. I don’t know what’s happening to me,” Yongsun says as she’s changing.

“Let me know when you’re done changing so that we can talk,” Byuli says.

Yongsun complies and finishes a couple of minutes later. She goes into the bathroom and both women brush and floss their teeth. After they’re done Byuli sits on the bed and pats on a spot next to her for Yongsun to sit. Yongsun sits next to Byuli and puts her head on her lover’s shoulder.

“This is all happening so fast. One moment we’re in your office. Next thing I know, we’re kissing off ice cream, and now look at us. We’re about to sleep in bed together,” Yongsun says.

“Hey, I completely agree with you. This is fast. I also understand that you’re doing things you’ve never done. If it makes you feel any better, I have no idea what I’m doing either. I’ve never been in a relationship,” Byuli admits.

“Really?” Yongsun looks up at Byuli.

“Really,” Byuli says seriously. “Trust me, I know how you feel. And if you want, I can sleep on the floor for the whole trip so that you don’t have to share the bed with me.”

“No, your back is gonna hurt,” Yongsun says with concern.

“I’d rather hurt my back than hurt your heart,” Byuli says. And with that, she grabs a pillow and an extra blanket from the dresser and lays it down on the floor to sleep.

With tears starting her form, Yongsun stands up and goes to hug Byuli. After letting go, she grabs Byuli's pillow and tosses it on the bed.

"What was that for?" Byuli asked.

"I can't let you perform tomorrow night with a bad back," Yongsun says. "I'll ask Maria if I can sleep in her room. How does that sound?"

"That sounds fine," Byuli says with a smile. "I'm glad we were able to work this out."

"Me too," Yongsun says. She stands up and grabs clothes for tomorrow and heads towards the door. "Goodnight, Byuli. See you in the morning."

At the door, she turns around with Byuli right behind her. "Goodnight, Yongsun," Byuli says and kisses Yongsun's lips. "I'll see you in the morning."

After they say their goodbyes, Yongsun heads over to Maria's room. Right as she's about to knock on the door, Maria opens the door.

"Byuli texted me. Come on in," Maria says.

"Dang she's fast," Yongsun thinks to herself.