Hello Mama, it’s not Easy saying Goodbye at 25

You're My Universe

A/N: Hello everyone! I just wanted to let you know that a part of this chapter takes place where Shelby and Maria visit Shelby's grandmother's gravesite. If that makes you uncomfortable, I'm really sorry. It took a bit of  time to write it. It's also been so long since I've uploaded because of school. I've been going through a lot recently, but I'm trying my best to update and write a little whenever possible. Hope you enjoy the chapter :)


It’s the early morning as Wheein wakes up in her trailer. To many people, it’s just an ordinary day, but for her, she’s about to move to Seoul. She has to prepare for her new journey in life. She starts off by making coffee and sits looking outside her window.

“It’s a beautiful day,” she says to herself. “I just don’t wanna do this right now though…”

She stares at her piece of paper. She was planning on writing to her mother. The woman that left her behind. The woman that probably doesn’t even know that she lives in a trailer or knows that she writes songs.

She starts writing…

The road home feels long

The street lights turn on one at a time

I’m getting sentimental breathing in the night air

Especially today I miss you more

Did I forget something precious

Hello Mama

Where are you right now

I just suddenly remembered

Did you eat

Isn’t work hard?, those words

It’s a day where I miss them

Hello Mama

I just wanted to hear your voice

Turning on the light in a dark room

I lay on the bed and think

Mama I can’t be the only one having a hard time

I want to keep leaning on you

The tears that fall even if I hold them back

Still like a child in your embrace

I look back suddenly while walking

From your back appearance that slowly becomes smaller

Did I forget something precious

Hello Mama

Where are you right now

I just suddenly remembered

Did you eat

Isn’t work hard?, those words

It’s a day where I miss them

Hello Mama

I just wanted to hear your voice

Soon, in the time that passes by

I worry that they’ll remain as regrets

My time will flow quickly

I hope it flows slowly for you

You who lived for me

Hello Hello Mama

Our precious mom that I love

Hello Hello Mama

A day that I miss you

Hello Mama

I just wanted to hear your voice

(Hello Mama - Mamamoo)

With tears in her eyes, she takes a picture of the letter and makes a copy using her printer, folds it up, and puts it into an envelope. After this, she goes to the dealership who lets her use the trailer.

“Hey, Shelby! How have you been? Wait, you’re crying,” the wife of the owner says as she hugs her. “What happened?”

“I was just writing a letter to my mother. That’s all,” Shelby says as she wipes her tears. “I’m moving to Seoul in a few days.”

“Really? You got a label to sign you?” The wife asks.

“Yup,” Shelby says happily.

“You hear that everyone? Shelby got signed!” The wife yells. Just then, everyone surrounds Shelby and embraces her.

“We knew you could do it,” one person says. “This is awesome! I can’t wait to hear your new music!” another one says.

The owner of the dealership steps in as everyone disperses and hugs Shelby. “Congratulations, Shelby,” the owner says.

“Thank you,” Shelby says. “I have something for you.” She takes out the letter to her mother. “Could you give this to my mother if she ever stops by?”

“Of course, sweetheart,” the wife says. “If there’s anything you need, we’re here for you. Always.”

“Always,” the owner repeats.

“Thank you both so much. As for something I need, do you have any luggage bags by any chance? I’ve never owned one,” Shelby says.

“Of course. Start folding and thinking about what you’re going to take and I’ll bring it over in a few minutes,” the wife says.

“Thank you. I’ll start right now,” Shelby says.
Shelby goes back to her trailer and starts looking around. She looks at her guitar and some of the decorations and thinks about what she’s going to take. She then goes through her clothes and starts folding them. Just then, she gets a knock on the door.

Shelby goes to the door and sees luggage bags and the wife of the dealership.

“Here are the luggage bags. Make sure that you return them so that my husband and I can go on vacation in the future and so that we can see you again,” the wife says happily.

“Of course. Thank you, Aunt Mimi,” Shelby says as she hugs Aunt Mimi.

After Aunt Mimi leaves, she goes back to packing. It took around three hours to pack up everything and double-check to see if everything was right.

Just then, she gets another knock on her door.

“Maria, what are you doing here?” Shelby asks.

“Come with me. I need to take you somewhere,” Maria says.

“Right now? It’s 4 pm,” Shelby says.

“Yes. Please, take my hand and come with me,” Maria says as she offers her hand.

“Okay,” Shelby says.

Shelby and Maria get into the car and start driving to what looks like a gravesite. When they get out of the car, Shelby looks at Maria.

“Take me to your grandma,” Maria tells Shelby. Without hesitation, Shelby leads Maria to her grandma’s grave.

“Give me a moment?” Maria asks.

“Okay,” Shelby says.

As Shelby walks around, Maria kneels at Shelby’s grandma’s gravestone and begins speaking.

“Hey, it’s me, Maria. I didn’t mean to miss your funeral all those years ago. I’m so sorry I missed it. I’m sorry that I didn’t treat your granddaughter the way you wanted me to. I’m sorry that I didn’t visit you when Eomma and Appa told me too. I wish I could’ve been by your side. Sometimes, I even wish I didn’t move to Seoul just so that we could all be together. It would’ve been hard to see you go, but I would’ve been there for Shelby like you wanted me too. You always told me that it’s never too late for anything and that I can’t change the past so, I’m here to say that I love you so much. Shelby is moving to Seoul and I promise that will take good care of her as you did for her for many years,” Maria says as tears form. “I love her…. I love her with all my heart. I want to and need to provide for her like you always did. She and I have fragile hearts, but hers is stronger because of you. She’s a beautiful woman too. God is she gorgeous. I wish you could hear her voice now and see her gorgeous hair, body, and heart. Everything about her is perfect. Thank you for taking care of her.” Maria pauses and tears continue to fall. She wipes her tears and looks back at Shelby who’s walking back. “I love her... I love Shelby.”

Shelby comes back to a crying Maria and hugs her from behind while on her knees.

“I miss her too,” Shelby says.

“She raised you into an amazing person,” Maria says while looking at the gravestone.

Shelby smiles. “Give me a moment?”

“Of course. Take your time. I’ll wait in the car.”
“Okay.”

As Maria walks away, Shelby starts to get flashbacks of when she was growing up with Maria. When she stayed with her grandma, Maria was always welcome into the house with open arms no matter what. Shelby remembered that one time on her 12th birthday, her grandma gave both her and Maria matching best friend necklaces. On Maria’s birthday, grandma gave both of them matching outfits that they immediately put on. It made Shelby smile. “Hey, 할머니, I miss you so much. I remember all of the good times though. Remember when you gave me and Maria matching outfits that we immediately put on with our best friend necklaces? Hahaha! I remember when you would use the water bucket and splash us with water during the summer even when you were hurting. Even though you were hurting.... And when you got me my favorite snacks all the time. I’m glad that I was able to take care of you instead of going to school. It made me feel closer to you. It was to pay you back for getting me my favorite snacks. I did all of my homework though mainly because you told me to. Even though you were hurting, I still managed to get the highest grades at the end of the year.” Shelby pauses as tears start to fall. “I wish you could come and see Seoul with me. I wish you could see how beautiful Maria is and hear how beautiful her voice is. I wish we could go on that vacation to Hawaii together as you’d always wanted. I remember when you used to say ‘yah! Shelby! Save up your money so that we can go to Hawaii!’ Well, I did and still have all of the money saved up because the doctors said we couldn’t go once you got sick,” She pauses again and takes a deep breath. “I wish all of these things, but you always told me that you live in my heart and that wherever I go, you go. I hope you stay with me.” She pauses again. “Maria is so special. She came back to me. She surprised me with Byuli Moon and Yongsun Kim, two of the best people in the world. Byuli asked me to be a part of her company which is why I’m here. I’ve come to tell you that I'm moving to Seoul. I hope you’re not mad. You always told me to chase my dreams and I got the best opportunity to do so because of Maria. She’s the one who sent videos of me to Byuli unnie and she and her team love me.” She pauses one last time. “I think this is the time. It feels right. And don’t worry, Maria will take care of me as she promised. I think I like her, 할머니. Maybe I love her. I don’t know. I wish we could talk about this haha! I know it’s sudden since she came back a few days ago, but you know my gut feeling is never wrong. She hurt me, but I forgave her like you always said for me to do. It was hard at first, but I realized that she really wanted our friendship to be back on good terms. I saw the good in her like you wanted me to when we last talked about it. Besides, you were right. I could never forgive myself if I let her go. There’s just no way. I’ve been in love with her ever since we were kids, you know that. I still have the ring that you gave me too. You wanted me to wear it when I get married one day. I promise I will. I love you much, 할머니. I promise to come back whenever I can.”

Shelby kisses 할머니’s gravestone and stands up and walks away. She turns back and waves to the gravesite and gets into Maria’s car.

“Wait. I forgot something in the trunk,” Maria says. She gets out of the car and runs to the trunk. When Maria gets back to the car, she grabs a bouquet of magnolias and gets back into the car.

“These are for you,” Maria says. “It’s to congratulate you on your signing to MoonStar World.”

Shelby takes the bouquet of magnolias from Maria. “Thank you, Maria. They are so beautiful.”

“Just like you,” Maria says.

Shelby starts blushing. “They’re also my and my grandma’s favorite flower.”

“I know. I wrote it down in my journal when I was 12. That next day, I used up all of my allowance to buy you magnolias,” Maria says.

“Oh my goodness. How could I forget?! And then I kissed your cheek hahaha!” Shelby giggles.

“Yup! That’s still the best day of my life,” Maria says as she giggles.

“Mine too,” Shelby says with a smile on her face.

There’s a moment of silence.

“So, when are we moving me to Seoul?” Shelby asks.

“We can go whenever you want. I still want to spend one more day with you before we leave. I just love being back home, you know?” Maria says.

“Then, we’ll leave Wednesday as you said before. That way, we have the day to ourselves,” Shelby says.

“Alright then. As for right now, let me take you home,” Maria says.

As they pull up to Shelby’s trailer, they see two people standing in front of the door.

“Yah! There you are! We’ve been waiting for you,” Yongsun says.

“We tried calling both of you, but nobody answered. We thought something happened to you,” Byuli says.

“Sorry about that. Do you still wanna come in?” Shelby asked the two women.

“Well, yeah. That’s why we came,” Yongsun said.

Both of the women move over so that Shelby can open the door. When she gets in, she turns on the lights and everyone sees her packed bags and her guitar case by the door.

“I was able to pack today thanks to the dealer and his wife. They lent me these luggage bags that they want me to return so that they can go on vacation,” Shelby says as she giggles.

“This place looks cozy,” Byuli says as she sits on the couch.

“It’s really nice, Shelby,” Yongsun says.

“Yeah. I actually like it,” Maria says.

“Thanks, guys. This is where I’ve written all of my songs. It to have to let it go. I feel like it’s a part of me,” Shelby says.

“Then, why don’t I buy it. That way, you always have a place to go back to,” Byuli offers.

“That sounds amazing, but where would I keep it? I can’t bring it to Seoul,” Shelby says.

“We can put it at my parent’s house. They own the property next door to us. We can move it there,” Maria says.

“Great idea,” Yongsun says.

“Then it’s settled,” Byuli says.

“Yeah, but the dealership is closed. So, we’ll have to go there first thing in the morning,” Shelby says.

Then, let’s stay here tonight. Shelby and Maria can have the bed while Yongsun takes the couch,” Byuli says.

“But what about you, Byuli?” Yongsun asks.

“The couch folds out to a bed. I have extra pillows and blankets in the closet,” Shelby says.

“Problem solved,” Byuli says as she goes to the closet. She pulls out pillows and blankets for her and Yongsun. Then, she sees Shelby go towards the front door.

“Where are you going now?” Byuli asks.

“I’m gonna go stargazing,” Shelby says.

“I’m going with you then,” Byuli says. The others follow right behind her each with a blanket.

Shelby goes out to an open field by the trailer and sits down. The others set down a couple of large blankets. Shelby sees this and lies down next to Maria.

“Look at them,” Yongsun says admiring the bright stars.

“Did you know that stars are luminous spheroids of plasma held together by its own gravity?” Shelby asked.
“Interesting,” Byuli says.

“What’s the biggest star?” Yongsun asked.

“The sun,” Shelby answers without hesitation.

“How do you know all of this?” Byuli asked.

“She was an honor student who got the highest grades,” Maria said.

“Wow, that’s amazing,” Yongsun said complimenting the blue-haired woman.

“I also just looked this all up on Wikipedia,” Shelby said. Everyone starts laughing.

After the laughter dies down, Shelby gets up. “I think I’m gonna go to sleep. It’s been a long day and I’m really tired.”

“I’m gonna go in too,” Maria says following Shelby’s lead.

“Well, okay. Have a good rest and don’t lock us out,” Byuli says.

“We won’t,” Shelby says.

When Shelby and Maria leave, it’s Yongsun and Byuli alone on the blanket they brought. Byuli then scoots as close as she could to Yongsun. She hugs the shorter woman and holds her in her arms.

“I know it’s been a couple of days, but I wanted to check on you. Are you okay with sleeping next to me in the trailer tonight?” Byuli asked wanting confirmation and permission.

“I’m okay with it. Thanks for asking,” Yongsun said looking into her eyes. “Your eyes sparkle in the moonlight.”

“Yours do too and you’re welcome,” Byuli says staring into Yongsun’s eyes. “How did I get so lucky? I’ve met my soulmate on the first try.”

“I don’t know. I guess that’s how destiny works,” Yongsun says.

Byuli giggles. “I guess so…” She gives Yongsun a passionate kiss. “I’m so glad I met you. You make this life worth living.”

Yongsun cups Byuli’s face in her hands. “You make my universe brighter, Moon. You’re my star forever, Byuli.” She kisses her with love, passion, and hope for the best future with the love of her life.

When they break the long kiss, they lay there staring at each other.

“I’m going back inside to sleep. You wanna come with me,” Yongsun says as she stands up.

“Nothing would make me happier,” Byuli says as she grabs the blanket and takes Yongsun’s hand and goes back to the trailer holding hands. As soon as they step back into the trailer, they’re greeted by Maria. Once they see her they jump.

“Maria, you scared me!” Yongsun says.

“Shhhhh! Shelby’s sleeping,” Maria says.

“Why are you still awake?” Byuli asks.

“I need to talk to you about something,” Maria says. The two women look at each other. It must be serious.

“What is it?” Yongsun asks.

“I’m in love with Shelby,” Maria says. Both of the women proceed to hug who they call their little sister.

“This is great! You two would make a lovely couple,” Byuli says.

“Yeah, but it’s way too early to admit it to her,” Maria whispers. “We just became friends again and I wanna go from where we left off. But, I was a kid who was in love with her best friend. Not only that, she’s moving in with me when we go back to Seoul on Wednesday.”

“So, you can earn her trust. You can work up slowly to that point. You don’t have to rush anything,” Yongsun says in response.

“Like you guys are taking anything slowly,” Maria says.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Yongsun asks.
“It’s like you two are glued to each other,” Maria responds. “Ever since you met Byuli, you two are always together.”
“Well, you’re not wrong,” Byuli responds. “See, as soon as I met her, I had feelings for her. I’ve always been her fan, but there was a different kind of love that I had for her. Sure I would get butterflies in my stomach (nervous), but I also got excited. She always put a smile on my face and made me feel like I can do anything. There’s this unexplainable feeling that I get when I’m with her. I asked her about it and she feels the same way.”

“That’s right,” Yongsun agrees. “The only way we can describe that feeling is like a soulmate. It’s also destiny. It’s like we were destined to be together. And you’re right. I’ve been with Byuli because I’m in love with her.”

“That’s great, unnie. I’m sorry I said that. I just didn’t understand what was happening. I know that you didn’t sleep in the same bed because of Byuli’s texts that night when you guys arrived. It must’ve been hard,” Maria said.

“Not really. I just wasn’t ready. So, I voiced my opinion that everything was happening too fast. She listened to my needs and understood,” Yongsun said.

“Honestly, it was the best for both of us,” Byuli said. “I hadn’t had such great sleep in my life since that night.”

“That’s great, unnie,” Maria says.

“Now, what about Shelby? How do you feel about her?” Yongsun asks.

“Honestly, I feel the same way about her as I always have. I get nervous, excited, but I feel the way you feel about Byuli unnie. I get that same feeling she described. The feeling of a soulmate. The feeling that we were destined to be with each other,” Maria says. “I went to her grandma’s grave with her and promised her that I would take care of Shelby just as she did. I told her that I love her. She knew the whole time too. She knew I’ve loved Shelby ever since we were kids.”

“Then you know what you’re doing. If you’ve had this feeling ever since you were kids, go for it,” Byuli says.

“But what if she doesn’t love me back?” Maria asks.

“Then you can take over my house,” Byuli says.

“You’re risking your house?” Yongsun asks.

“I’m risking my house for Maria’s love story,” Byuli responds. “Here’s a deal I’m proposing. If Maria and Shelby live together in Seoul after Maria tells her how she feels, then Yongsun will have to move in with me so that Maria and Shelby could have Yongsun's house. That way, we can all be neighbors and live in nice houses.”

“Deal,” Maria says.

“Deal,” Yongsun says.

“Deal,” Byuli says.

Just then, they hear rustling coming from Shelby. As the three women get ready for bed, they cautiously watch Shelby to see if she moves again. After they’re done getting ready for bed, Maria sits on Yongsun and Byuli’s bed.

“Anything?” Maria asks.

“Nothing,” Byuli says.

“Maybe it’s a bad dream,” Yongsun says.

Shelby starts to move again. This time, she’s shaking. “Maria! No!”

Shelby’s screaming scared all of them, especially Maria. She runs to Shelby and holds her in her arms. She rocks her back and forth like a baby and whispers to her. “Shhhhhh… It’s okay, Shelby. I’m right here, babe. I won’t ever leave you. I promise.” Maria kisses Shelby’s head as she lets her cry onto her shoulder.

“I love you…”