ACT 9

A LOVELY DISASTER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It's been a week since my mom's birthday.

 

Because of the stuffy weather, our shoot got cancelled more than once already. Not one to waste time, I requested for more stunt choreography lessons instead. 

 

But after three days of physical exhaustion, I caved and called Lisa to prepare me my favorite food.

 

Lisa was still in culinary school when she discovered the recipe for a sweet and spicy noodle dish with fresh kimchi and barbecued chicken. It's like a mix of the Vietnamese bun cha and Korean spicy noodles.

 

It's the only food I only eat when I'm tired or sick. It's my comfort food.

 

But Lisa, on the other hand, have been making me uncomfortable with her questions about Dara. They somehow made a connection at the party after she raved about her tteokbokki soup at Leo's.

 

My sister prides her recipes like her own children so she easily liked Dara. 

 

"So do you guys like to hang out or something?"

 

I looked up to her from my happy bowl of noodles and frowned. That's code for stop this bull.

 

"What? I'm just curious! She seems like a cool girl and I like her...for you."

 

She said those last words with a teasing grin and I know she won't stop here.

 

"She is cool and I like her too…"

 

Lisa clapped her hands before I finished what I was trying to say.

 

"But not that way, Lis. You have to let this go. No celebrities for me ever again, remember?"

 

I pointed my chopsticks at her with a glare. I let her get away from things easily, but not this one. 

 

"You know how much I support you with your decisions, oppa, but maybe Dara will be worth it. I agree that celebrities only bring trouble to your life, but Dara is so grounded and beautiful and nice."

 

She's pouting at me like I hurt her, but being with Dara isn't what is ideal for me. 

 

"Youngbae wants me to hook them up." I shrugged casually at her.

 

"What?" Her tone is a pitch higher already.

 

"Don't ask me like that, Lis. What's wrong with Bae? He's a good guy."

 

Then why have I not talked to Dara about him?

 

"But they're not compatible!" 

 

I looked at her and curiosity filled my chest. "And we do? Dara and me?"

 

"Hundred percent yes. I don't even know why, but something tells me she's going to make you happy. Your grumpy scowl matches her warm smiles. I can already see your faces at your wedding."

 

Lisa's words unexpectedly warmed me, but wait a ing minute. What wedding?

 

"You're thinking way ahead, Lisa. Thanks for the noodle dish, but you should head out now."

 

I start to gather my plates to the sink as my sister follows me to get water from the fridge.

 

"Wow, you're really pushing me out like that?"

 

I pointed to the digital clock at the kitchen counter. "You told me you need to be at Leo's by 3pm."

 

". I forgot about that!" She immediately checked her phone and started typing.

 

I leaned on the sink and asked, just out of curiosity. I shouldn't have.

 

"Who's renting the whole place anyway?"

 

Lisa stopped typing and cleared . "Um, Dara did."

 

I felt my back stiffen at this. What's going on? I checked our group chat to see if she mentioned about an invite at Leo's but I didn't see any.

 

"What's happening? Is it like a party? A personal thing or celebrity?"

 

I think of Soohyun and her cast members. Maybe they have a gathering or something. Their drama is taking a winter break so she's not filming much lately.

 

"I think it's a birthday party."

 

I quickly checked online if it's her birthday or something. Nope. It's not.

 

I don't know why the idea of not knowing what's up with her is nagging my brain off.

 

Lisa might have sensed it, so she offered me a silly smile. "You know, you can drop by Leo's anytime. You're lucky you know the owner."

 

"Why would I do that?" Although I'm already considering it.

 

"I don't know. Just saying it. Anyway, I got to go, brother. See you, maybe, later?"

 

Lisa walked away from me with her question lingering inside my head.

 

Maybe? Maybe...

 

--------

 

I'm a ing idiot.

 

Why am I here?

 

I hate my sister.

 

I'm practically glued to the steering wheel of my car outside Leo's as I see the glass wall of her snack bar draped with closed off blinds. 

 

I didn't tell Soonho I'd be here, because I really do visit Lisa when I have time. But seeing the number of cars in the parking area, I'm pretty sure this is a celebrity party.

 

And if Dara is the one who rented the place, why the hell am I not invited?

 

 

I hate this feeling.

 

I should have left and ignored her after this, but my brain is fried.

 

Next thing I know, I'm reaching to open the door and was greeted by Dara herself.

 

"Oh." Surprise and confusion blanketed her beautiful face. 

 

"I'm...I didn't know…" I looked around, pretending to just notice that it's a private party. I'm an actor anyway. I can play this part well. 

 

"Oh, I didn't realize there was a private party here." I looked at her with innocent eyes and her face blushed. 

 

I think she's embarrassed that I wasn't invited.

 

"Hi, uhm, it's okay. I mean, we're still waiting for the celebrant." She said and then bit her lower lip. 

 

An awkward silence filled in between us. I have no idea what to do next.

 

"Oppa?" I heard Lisa behind Dara and her smile is telling me I'm dead.

 

"Oh, hey,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter