ACT 3

A LOVELY DISASTER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I ran past people trying to greet me as I saw my mom waving at me at the stands to watch my brother’s charity game.

 

Well, his team, not really his.

 

The charity is for the education of out of school youth in Korea, an advocacy both my parents are very supportive of.

 

Me and my siblings have all been blessed to finish school without worries about financial assistance, a privilege we did not take for granted. Despite the careers we chose in front of the limelight, we all managed to finish a college degree that we’re also practicing on the side.

 

Donghyuk holds a degree in Finance and has started an agency with his college friends that helps athletes manage their finances responsibly.

 

Lisa took culinary arts and is now about to open the second branch of her snack pub, Leo's. It’s a hangout place for college students with food that are top quality, but with an affordable price.

 

I took a business course, just like Youngbae, and has been investing in projects here and there. I recently invested in a mobile app that helps a user to donate items to someone who matches their needs. If a student is looking for a specific reading material, and another user has it, the app bridges their gap and helps each other to donate and receive easily.

 

“There’s my boy!” Mom had no qualms of babying me or my siblings even in public.

 

“There’s my ma!” I placed a kiss on her cheeks as she ushered me to the seat beside her. Soonho took the seat beside me as I greeted my dad and Lisa too.

 

“There’s the latecomer!” My sister started.

 

“There’s my ugly sister!” I kid her back, knowing that what I said isn’t true. My sister has been named one of the most beautiful in lists all over the country. She has just started a career as a model, but people are also quite taken to her charming personality. Her guesting stint with our mom on a famous talk show earned her variety show offers.

 

“Hey, Jiyong.” My dad offered me a hug. We’re that kind of family, affectionate and warm.

 

“How’s Dongdongie?” I asked, scouring the field to see how the game goes. It has already started when I came. I’ve been stuck in traffic because I had a meeting with my agency.

 

“Still kicking.” Lisa chimed from her seat. 

 

Just as I settled on my seat, my brother just made a goal. My parents, as well as Lisa are up on their seats screaming and dancing. I was just as ecstatic, but I decided to just stand and watch my family go crazy.

 

“DK! DK! DK!” The chants for my brother’s name started and I joined in.

 

Then my face was suddenly seen on the screen beside the field. The crowd went wild as the chants became “GD! GD! GD!”

 

And just like that, I felt people staring our way again. It’s nice to spend time with my family, but since we’re all familiar to the public, we’re used to them looking at us. It shouldn’t bother me anymore, but it still does.

 

I tried to push the attention to my brother by pointing to him. 

 

Since it’s a charity game, the official rules doesn’t really apply. As the players take a break, an MC went to the middle of the field and announced that donations will be added for every goal set by any member of the crowd.

 

They will be guarded by the players though. I saw the MC call on the CEO of the major sponsor of the event, and it was fun watching him try to scramble from the players, who were obviously going easy on him.

 

After him, the mayor of the city of Seoul got to kick the ball too. Then the screen went to my family at the stand. The crowd is on their feet again, as they cheered for my father, a legendary soccer player. Of course, he gave in and even gave the players a real tough time guarding him. In the end, he made an impressive goal, wowing the audience. As I joined my mom and sister clapping for him, the screen went back to us. I already sensed what’s going to happen next, so I tried to step back. Nope.

 

Then I saw my dad talking to the MC. He took the mic and I knew I couldn’t say no anymore.

 

“How about we up the stakes here?” Sean Kwon addressed the audience. 

 

“I’ll match the donation from three goals set today if GD Kwon makes one too.” He continued. Everyone’s just pushing me now to the field, and my sister is cheering crazily for me. 

 

“But, me and DK will play against him.” He then motioned to my brother who’s awfully enjoying this. My family knows how much I hate being pressured like this.

 

But since this is for charity, I just joined them on the field.

 

“Let’s give them a show.” My dad winked at me. DK made a show of intimidating me and the crowd loved it.

 

I started to jump up and down and stretch my legs. I’m actually just as good as my brother, but I haven’t been playing for a while. 

 

Dad kicked the ball to my direction and the game started. I drove the ball with my feet in different directions, as my brother tried to steal it. I’m a couple of feet away from the net, and my dad is heavily guarding it. I took a few steps back with the ball crisscrossing on my feet. DK was on me, and my dad took a few steps away from the goal post. I saw an opening and almost made my way close to the net when DK stopped me. He got the ball, and kicked it to my father’s direction. Feeling pumped now, I intercepted it with a head toss and the ball landed just a couple of inches from the net. It’s now a scramble as me and my brother ran to the ball, with my father taking his post to guard the net.

 

In the end, I outsmarted DK and the goal went in. It wasn’t a clean shot, but at least I made my father glide down on the field. 

 

The crowd are on their feet as the three Kwons bow before them. DK went back to his teammates as I joined dad back to the stands. 

 

I was in good spirits until I faced the jumbo LED screen and saw a face in the crowd. The MC is now acknowledging the celebrities watching the match, and just like that, my mood shifted.

 

Taeyeon was beaming at the crowd as she sat with Im Yoona, the recent Best Actress winner at the Blue Dragon Film Awards. I just know Taeyeon is only expanding her network, and that irked me.

 

She’s still pretty though, and her smiles are just as heart-melting.

 

I felt my chest tighten as I decided to look away. People started screaming louder as another celebrity may have been introduced. I was out of it. Pretending to take a rest on my seat, I brought out my phone started to chat Youngbae.

 

“You’re fine, oppa.” I felt Lisa’s arm on my shoulder as she laid her head next to me. My sweet sister knew how much my breakup with Taeyeon tortured me. 

 

“I am, Lis. It’s probably just the emotional high.” 

 

She nodded and asked if I want to buy some hotdogs and beer. Not a bad diversion. I asked Soonho to come with us as we reached the concessionair stands. While lining up for a beer, I heard a voice beside me that seems familiar.

 

“GD Kwon?”

 

I turned to see a small guy with a beard and an awkward smile. I know him. I worked with him. he’s from HELLO.

 

“Hey…” I couldn’t remember his name.

 

“It’s Byungjae. Yoo Byungjae.” He offered immediately. He must have sensed that I’m struggling to recall his name.

 

“Yes, I know. We worked in Hello, right?” Admitting my involvement in that movie seemed unfamiliar to me, as I’ve always kept mum about it. I even asked reporters to refrain from asking about the movie, as I consider it a glaring mess on my supposedly pristine career.

 

“Oh, you remember!” He seemed genuinely pleased about it, and that made me feel more like an .

 

“Of course, I do.” 

 

He then hit my arm lightly. “I guess we’ll be seeing more of each other in the next few days.” 

 

What? I frowned at his words. “Excuse me?”

 

“Ah, we’re going to do a movie together. Weren’t you aware?” He asked, looking a bit taken aback.

 

“Oh, I didn’t know…” Was he really in my new movie?

 

“We’re having a table read this weekend, ri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter