ACT 8

A LOVELY DISASTER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“I hate you.”

 

Youngbae cursed as he called me this morning. He won’t be able to attend the party because he was stuck in a meeting in Jeju. The people he was supposed to meet got their flights delayed and now his schedule is moved a whole day.

 

“It’s not my fault, Bae. I really thought this is the perfect chance for you to meet.” When I told him Dara is coming to the party, he immediately ended our call. A few minutes later, he called back at me, yelling.

 

“What if you just give me her number? Talk to her about me.” The er sounded too eager and I’m starting to feel uncomfortable again.

 

“Let’s see how it goes later.”

 

--------

 

Dara came with Chaerin and Hyoni, while Byungjae was dropped off by his manager. Seungri and Jihoon are on their way.

 

As soon as Lisa saw Dara and the girls, she immediately beamed at me. “Oh my god, they’re your friends now?”

 

She looked happier about this, but Donghyuk looked tense. “You’re serious about being friends with them?”

 

Dara waved at us, and I see him blushing. Ah hell, everyone’s in love with this girl. And who can blame them? She’s pretty and sweet and kind and dresses well and smells nice…

 

“Hey, GD! Thanks for inviting us!” Chaerin is skipping, I kid you not.

 

GD, where’s your mom?” Dara asked, and I can see her eyes smiling too. She’s holding on to a wrapped box.

 

“Let me carry that for you. I’ll introduce everyone when the guys get here.” I took the box from her and our fingers brushed lightly. She almost dropped it, and her face blushed heavily. She’s not wearing makeup again.

 

I ushered them to a table and left for a while. I already told mom I’m bringing them over and she’s just as excited.

 

Donghyuk is hovering around his teammates’ table with my dad when I heard Dara’s laughter permeating the air. It wasn’t too loud, but it’s distinct enough for me to recognize. I turned to them and saw Seungri and Jihoon just arrived. As I expected, Jihoon looked stiff and managed to wave a hand at me while avoiding my eyes.

 

“Come on, let’s meet mom first.” I approached the table and their excitement warmed my heart. Their eagerness to meet my mother is such a feeling.

 

We went inside my parent’s house and saw my mom laughing with her own set of friends in the kitchen. It’s where they usually hangout while cooking and drinking wine.

 

“Hey, mom. I’d like you to meet my friends.”

 

My mother turned to us and her smile was automatic. Some would say this is such a celebrity move, but my mom really loves to smile. It’s her default look, much like Dara.

 

“Oh, it’s so nice to meet you all.” My mom glided gracefully towards us and I can hear my friends’ nervous smiles.

 

“Nice to see you again, Ms. Hyeyoung. Happy birthday, ma’am.” Dara greeted her first, being the only one who have met her personally.

 

“It’s so good to see you too, dear. Our photo on my Instagram page had the most number of likes! It even beat GD’s photo with me!” 

 

Dara blushed at that as she turned to me looking like a kid who just met her favorite Disney princess.

 

The other started introducing themselves and I saw Jihoon smiling genuinely at me.

 

“We’ll see you out there later, mom.” I told her as I kissed her cheek.

 

“You and your mom are so close.” Dara said as we walked back to the lawn, where the party is being held.

 

“Yeah, we’re close. We’re like one of those sickeningly close families that makes you cringe in the movies.” I started to laugh.

 

“That’s actually wonderful, G.” She was looking at her feet and her voice is hushed. That halted my steps. Should I have asked about her family first? What if she came from a broken family?

 

That was insensitive of me.

 

I was about to catch up with her when I felt a hand on my shoulder. “Jiyong.” 

 

I turned to see my father beaming at me. “Yes, dad?”

 

“Call your brother and sister. We’ll start the dinner party in fiv

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter