ACT 12

A LOVELY DISASTER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“What did you just say?”

 

I turned to Youngbae who just got out of his room with the biggest smile on his face.

 

“Dara agreed to go out with me.”

 

I huffed in disbelief, though I tried to hide it from my bestfriend. I should be happy for him, but something doesn’t feel right about this. About everything.

 

“Good on you.” I turned my back on him before he could even sense what I feel right now. Why do I have the sudden urge to stop him?

 

“Can I bring Soonho with me?” Youngbae tried to catch up, but I refused to let him near me. I turned to the direction of my room as I tried to decipher why he would ask for Soonho. 

 

“Why would you do that?” Why not me?

 

What the hell, brain?

 

“Because Dara is bringing her friend, the publicist, Sunny. She doesn’t want people to assume we’re on a date.” He just shrugged casually as I digest his words.

 

“So, it’s not a date?”

 

“It is for me.” Youngbae grinned like a little boy, and I had the urge to punch his face. Seriously, what’s wrong with me?

 

“I’ll ask if he’s available.” I told him and left without glancing at him another look.

 

that.

 

--------

 

, , .

 

What am I doing here?

 

“Where’s Soonho?” Youngbae asked as I waited for him outside.

 

“He’s driving to Incheon to meet with some people...for work.” I tried to sound casual as I fixed my face mask as a disguise for today’s task.

 

Yep. I am subbing for Soonho. I’m going to kill myself after, probably.

 

“You don’t have to do this, Jiyong. I can actually ask Hoon to be with me. I’ve been considering him after all.”

 

I start to walk to the passenger seat of his car. “Hoon’s a bad idea. He’s a fanboy.”

 

Youngbae stared at me for a while before conceding. He went to drive his car while stealing glances at me. My hands are fidgeting, as if I’m the one who’s going to be on a date.

 

“So, um, we’ll be sharing a table, but maybe you can try to keep a distance from us. Are we good?” Youngbae started to talk while we parked in the basement of an old establishment in Gangnam.

 

“Where are we?” I asked, trying to look for any restaurants or cafes nearby.

 

“Dara chose the place. She said it’s quiet here. Let’s go.” 

 

I followed my friend to the elevator and another set of stairs that seem to lead to a bar on a rooftop deck. I looked around and I immediately saw her. She was looking down on her phone while laughing at something Sunny must have told her. 

 

Youngbae was still looking around, and I reveled in the few seconds I got to watch Dara on my own. She’s actually really stunning, especially when she’s stripped off of the glimmer of being a celebrity. Her casual demeanor is so refreshing that I wish I can be as relaxed as she is.

 

The sound of her laughter caught Youngbae’s attention, and suddenly, our eyes met.

 

The thumping beat in my chest almost feels foreign, but I know deep inside what it is. Holy , my friend is going to hate me for this.

 

--------

 

“I actually enjoy their peach tea here.”

 

Dara was scrunching her nose as she took a sip of her cold drink. It looked tasty, and I had the sudden urge to take a sip of her drink too.

 

“Do you hang out here often?” Youngbae asked, who’s sitting across Dara. I tried to shift my attention to Sunny, but she actually answered for her friend.

 

“Not really, but whenever she wants a quiet time, you can always find her here.”

 

I looked around and the place was almost deserted. The couple of people settled on their seats don’t even look up from their conversations. People just don’t care about others and it actually makes me smile.

 

“This is a good hideout.” I grinned as I swept another look around the place, ending with Dara’s amused smile. 

 

“As long as you don’t spread the word, you’re welcome to come hangout at my turf.” She started to laugh adorably and I found myself joining her. 

 

“So, how did you find this place?” Youngbae asked, with what I noticed is a firmer tone.

 

“I was actually driving around the area, looking for a cafe. Then I saw a girl exit this building with a drink in her hand. I parked my car and asked the guard if there’s a cafe nearby and he pointed me here. At first, I was actually hesitant to follow his instructions because it’s a bit creepy, right? Go up to the highest floor and ascend to another set of stairs. It feels like I was walking into death, but I was surprised when I got here. I have fallen in love since then.”

 

She shrugged casually as she popped a piece of chicken poppers in .

 

“You drive around on your own?” I asked, wanting to know more about Dara.

 

“I don’t get recognized a lot by people during that time. Well, I still drive on my own these days, but I normally have someone with me.” She smiled back.

 

“I actually drive myself to places that don’t involve work too, as long as Soonho knows about it. He’s a bit protective like that.” I offered a piece of information in exchange.

 

“That’s actually good of him. Do you know how hard it is to get a decent manager nowadays? I’m just glad my cousin was eager to take the job for me.” She scooted closer to the table, so she can lean closer across to where I sat. 

 

“So, where else do you hangout, Dara?” Youngbae asked. I honestly forgot that I shouldn’t steal his moment here.

 

I looked down on my iced coffee and sat quietly.

 

“I actually used to prefer to go out at bars before, but my agency does not approve of it. My ex actually owns a speakeasy in Itaewon.”

 

The mention of an ex boyfriend had me looking up. “Who is it?”

 

She turned to me with a frown. “Who is what?”

 

“Your ex.” I felt Youngbae shift uncomfortably in his seat beside me and I honestly wanted to just kill myself right now. Why am I being so intrusive?

 

“Oh, it’s Park Haejin. I’m not sure if you know him but he owns Trapped in Itaewon.” It must have been a long time since they broke up for her to sound casually like this.

 

“I was just there last week.” I told her. It was the bar I went out with Kiko and Ahreum.

 

Dara chuckled slightly and beamed a smile at me. “Yeah, Chaerin told me.”

 

Right. That was where it all happened.

 

“So, you used to go there a lot?” I asked, wondering if she will agree to go there with Kiko and Ahreum. I guess Youngbae can tag along too, and Sunny.

 

“I used to be there whenever I’m out of work. My ex is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter