Sunrise

Her own kind of heaven

As she ran down the street, she remembered the convenience store a couple blocks further. It was Hyejoo's birthday, she needed at least a cake and a candle to blow.  

After getting the chocolate cupcake because she had no time to lose in choosing a cake, she ran back to her apartment. She rang the bell, hoping she was on time.  

When Hyejoo opened the door, meeting a panting, sweaty Chaewon holding a cupcake with a candle on it, she became stone.  

"Hyejoo," Chaewon breathed, but what was she supposed to say? She knew, but she didn't prepare herself before the adrenaline took over her body. "I suppose you have a lighter?”  

A hand grasped on Chaewon's, pulling her forward and making her body meet Hyejoo's tall figure, as she heard the door closing behind her. Hyejoo’s arms s around her waist and her face buried in her neck. Chaewon had to grasp on the cupcake on her hand, away from their bodies, or else it would fall flat on the floor.  

"You're just in time," Hyejoo said in a muffled whisper, squeezing her body and stealing Chaewon's breath away.  

Chaewon didn't remember when was the last time someone hugged her like Hyejoo did. How her fingertips dug on the fabric of her jacket, like she had to make sure Chaewon wasn't her imagination.  

She also didn't remember when was the last time her heart beat that hard, to the point it hurt her ribs. Then again, she had just run to make it there, so it was an excuse, right?  

"Happy birthday." Chaewon rested her chin on her shoulder, diving her fingers on her now black locks.  

"W-Why did you take so long?" Hyejoo asked, her voice cracking.  

Chaewon widened her eyes. She wasn't crying... was she?  

"I don't know either. I'm sorry, Hyejoo." Chaewon kept on caressing her hair. "I know what I did was wrong, but I've learned my lesson."  

"Did you miss me?" Hyejoo nuzzled on her neck.  

"Are you going to tease me if I say yes?" She asked, and Hyejoo shook her head. "I did."  

Chaewon heard a giggle and she was already regretting it.  

"Don't do that again," Hyejoo blurted. "Don't... stop talking to me again. It hurts."  

"Yah, you were the one telling me to mind my own business, what did you want me to do?"  

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. Don't take my words seriously if I'm angry, I always end up saying I'll regret."  

Chaewon smiled. "Okay, I'll keep that in mind."  

There was silence, but neither of them pulled away. Chaewon didn't know it would feel so right to hold Hyejoo like that, as her own petite body fit perfectly against hers. She let her eyes close and embraced the moment, taking a deep breath to take in Hyejoo's scent.  

She stank as always. It was a different smell this time, one that she couldn’t tell what was. But she still smiled, because there was nothing she wanted more than to have Hyejoo-  

"I-I brought you a cake." Chaewon forced her thoughts to stop. "Sorry, I don't have anything else, I didn't know it was your birthday today."  

"You're here, I wouldn't ask for anything else," Hyejoo said and laughed after a second. "Wow, sorry, that was lame as ."  

Chaewon laughed along, but her stomach had done about a thousand flips by now.  

"This is nice, but I smell chocolate."  

Hyejoo pulled away and stole the cupcake from her hand, taking large steps to sit on the couch. Chaewon followed, observing Hyejoo lighting up the candle with her lighter. She held the cupcake with both hands and stared at the flame for a couple seconds before closing her eyes.  

Chaewon took the chance to take a proper look at Hyejoo. She wore her round glasses, and not only she dyed her hair, but it was also slightly shorter. While the blue tips gave her a cool vibe, the black hair made her look mature and prettier. Much prettier. So pretty Chaewon didn’t notice she was staring at her with her lips apart-  

“What?” Hyejoo irked an eyebrow, blowing the candle.  

“Why did you dye your hair?”  

“A gift to myself. I dyed it today. Also, the weather is becoming colder, so it matches the season. You don’t like it?”  

“No, I love it!” Chaewon said, waving her hand. “You look even prettier.”  

“Even prettier? Does that mean you already thought I was pretty?” Hyejoo smirked.  

“Yes.”  

She wouldn’t dare say, but she loved how Hyejoo’s cheeks would get redder when she got flattered.  

“I-It’s my birthday and I was playing League of Legends.” Hyejoo laughed at herself. “I probably got kicked for AFK already, so might as well try and celebrate, I guess.” 

“What do you want to do?”  

“I’m gonna call Jungeun, I bet they’re out drinking.” She smiled, grabbing her phone.  

Chaewon gulped.  

“They’re at The Wolf. I know your first meeting with them didn’t go as expected, but maybe you’re up to starting over?” Hyejoo asked, and she swore she saw a pout on her lips.  

“Yes, I own them an apology, and it’s your birthday, after all, let’s do what makes you feel happy.”  

Hyejoo shot her biggest smile and jumped from the couch, grabbing Chaewon's hand and pulling her up. “ my dumb teammates, we were gonna lose anyway.” 

---  

What a bad idea.  

No, Chaewon should blame herself. She had always been very strict with herself, but then why did she let them convince her to drink with them? She also would blame the beer because it was somehow tasty.  

Also, the board games which had turned into drinking games.  

By the time they thought it was a good idea to play Jenga, already pretty tipsy, Chaewon found Sooyoung and Jiwoo sitting with them, and frowned.  

“What are you guys doing here? And you mentioned Jungeun earlier, do you guys know her?” Chaewon asked, narrowing her eyes to make sure it was them.  

Jiwoo and Jungeun exchanged a look and laughed. “We’ve known each other since middle school, we’re best friends who promised each other to come to Harvard together during college, so, here we are!” Jiwoo said, pulling Jungeun into a weird hug since they were both sitting in their own chairs. “And only recently we found out that you guys also know each other through Hyejoo. What a small world, right?”  

“Wow.” Chaewon raised her eyebrows in awe. “What about you, Sooyoung?”  

“She came because she can’t live away from me, isn’t that right, sweetie?” Jiwoo let go of Jungeun to lean closer to Sooyoung and plant a kiss on her cheek.  

“No.” Sooyoung chuckled and Jiwoo whined. “I’m joking, baby. But coming here could be a valuable experience, so I tried as well, and like she said, here we are. And in fact, I bet she would be the one that couldn’t live away from me, even if for just a school year.” Sooyoung added.  

“You’re right, how could I, my love?”  

“Gross.” Jungeun faked a gag, making Jinsol and Hyejoo snort.  

Sooyoung stood up to try to swat Jungeun’s arm, leading Jiwoo to playfully dodge to try and stay out of it. For the looks of it, they were also pretty close. “The only downside of being here is having to put up with you, Jungeun.” 

“As if you won’t be like this when you get a girlfriend! You'll be even worse, and then you’ll see, I’ll tease you to death, Kim Lip.” Jiwoo glared at her.  

“I’d never be so lame.” Jungeun clicked her tongue. “But let’s hope I get a girlfriend soon, then, so you can see for yourself.” 

“Hey, why can she call you Kim Lip and when I do it, you almost kill me?” Hyejoo pouted.  

“Being friends for so long comes with such perks.” Jiwoo gave her a satisfying smile. “I was the one giving her that name, you know. I have the right to use it.”  

“Yes, only her.” Jungeun agreed. “Where did it come from, even?”  

Jiwoo shrugged, and Hyejoo kept sulking on her chair. And even though Chaewon thought her pout was adorable, she knew how to make it a grin in an instant.  

“It’s okay, only you can call me Gowon,” she whispered near her ear, and it worked like a charm.  

Even though Chaewon knew she would regret everything the next day, she had to admit she was having tons of fun. She felt like she was breaking rules and living life without worrying about what was wrong or not.  

And Hyejoo's friends were a great bunch to hang out after all. They accepted her apology and didn't hesitate in welcoming her back even after the awkward first meeting. Chaewon could even tolerate Choerry now, even though she still scrunched her nose when she tried to make a move on Hyejoo.  

Chaewon threw the Jenga tower down for the third time in a row, and she wasn't sure she was a disaster in that game altogether, or if she was too drunk. She didn't feel that bad, just happy. Very happy, laughing at everything Hyejoo said, things that while sober would make her want to smack the back of her head.  

"You at this." Hyejoo refilled her glass. "C'mon, drink up!"  

Chaewon giggled and swallowed all the liquid on her glass at once.  

"Wow, Chaewon, who knew you drank like this." Jinsol nodded with a teasing smirk.  

"Oh Lord, I also didn't know." Chaewon held her head, then raised a finger like she remembered something. "I need to use the bathroom."  

She thought she was fine, but when she stood up, Hyejoo had to save her from tripping.  

"I’ll go with you.” Hyejoo stood up as well. “You might end up dead tonight.”  

“But I won’t, because Son Hyejoo will be there to save the day. Well, night.” Chaewon laughed at herself. “Why do you seem so well? Not even dizzy?”  

"I'm a bit dizzy actually, but I'm very tolerant. You know, many years of drinking."  

Chaewon clicked her tongue. "Such a bad influence you are, Son Hyejoo. You're lucky I like you."  

"Lucky indeed." Hyejoo smiled.  

She was caught off guard, feeling her face warm up. She stepped inside the toilet, and Hyejoo followed her.  

"What are you doing?" Chaewon turned at her.  

"You're not the only human being that uses the toilet, you know."  

Chaewon squinted at her and entered the first stall she found, while Hyejoo moved to another one.  

"Gowon-"  

"No, we're not having a conversation while peeing."  

Hyejoo snorted. "What if I'm not peeing?"  

"Yah, Son Hyejoo, you're gross." Chaewon tried to hold her laugh but failed when Hyejoo did.  

"I was just gonna say I wanna go get some air. Keep me some company?"  

As Chaewon had said, only when Hyejoo stood beside her to wash her hands she turned to her.  

"Yes, I think I need some air too. Isn't it very hot?" Chaewon splashed some water on her face.  

"Am I too hot?"  

Chaewon gulped. She eyed Hyejoo from head to toe as she leaned against the sink, and scoffed. "So hot you might burn yourself."  

"Careful or you also might get burned," Hyejoo muttered near her ear, walking towards the door.  

Chaewon was glad she was holding on the sink because her knees almost betrayed her. She followed Hyejoo outside and sat on the stairs beside her.  

The sky was dark, splashed with a few stars here and there. The cold breeze blowing against her hot skin was just what Chaewon needed.  

None of them seemed to have anything to say, but it didn't feel awkward. Chaewon thought it felt rather comfortable, being next to her and letting Hyejoo shift closer and rest her head on her shoulder.  

"Is this some kind of trick to heal from alcohol? Because I'm feeling so much better." Chaewon took in the fresh air into her lungs.  

"Yes, it helps. That's why I wanted to come here," Hyejoo said, and Chaewon felt the warmth of Hyejoo's hand on hers. "And to be with you."  

Moments like this made Chaewon want to explode and straight up ask Hyejoo what she really meant. She always remembered the conversation they never finished whenever Hyejoo said things like that, and it only brought back the questions that were left to answer. She convinced herself that Hyejoo was only talking about her looks back then, but this was different.  

"Why?" Chaewon asked.  

"Why, what?"  

"Why do you keep saying things like that?"  

Hyejoo remained silent. A chill ran down Chaewon's spine when Hyejoo squeezed her hand, caressing her thumb with hers.  

"Are you cold?" Hyejoo asked, looking up from her shoulder.  

"A bit."  

"Wanna go back inside?"  

Chaewon shook her head.  

"Good." Hyejoo leaned on her shoulder again and Chaewon looked down at her. She kept her eyes closed, and after noticing the lingering smile on her lips, Chaewon didn't feel cold anymore.  

What was the use in overthinking what makes you happy?  

Chaewon would do what felt right to her, and at that moment, that was resting her head on Hyejoo's and close her eyes. Feel Hyejoo's body close to hers and how her hands fit perfectly together, without any second thoughts.  

"Gowon," Hyejoo called after only god knows how long. "Let's watch the sunrise."  

"Hm? Where?"  

"By the river. We can walk there, it's not that far."  

"But we can’t just disappear like that."  

“I’ll tell the others you passed out and I had to carry you home.” Hyejoo giggled.  

“Hey!” Chaewon hit her arm. “Only if I’m the one who had to carry you when you passed out. I have a reputation to maintain.”  

“Do you think they would believe that you could carry me home?” Hyejoo held her laugh.  

“I-I could have called a cab for you!” Gowon frowned.  

Hyejoo chuckled. “Fine, then.” Hyejoo extended her phone to her. “Text them from my phone and tell them how you had to be my prince charming.”  

Chaewon’s cheeks heated as she stole the phone from her hands and started her way, making Hyejoo follow behind while cackling.  

---

A/N: welcome back, fluff c:

Thank you for the support on this story so far, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and look forward to the next one ^-^

Oh, and I did some Loona fanart, feel free to check it out! <3