Thanksgiving

Her own kind of heaven

Chaewon was never a party person before coming to Harvard, so entering a hall filled with too many people and loud music still left her overwhelmed. 

“Free food!” Jiwoo gasped, seeing the tables filled with appetizers and finger food. “Nothing’s better than free food.” 

“I beg to differ, ‘cuz we have free drinks as well.” Hyejoo elbowed her, and they both let out loud mischievous chuckles. 

Chaewon sighed. “Just don’t drink with an empty stomach okay?” 

“Yes, you’re very right, I don’t wanna feel sick later.” 

Jiwoo dropped her chin. “Hyejoo listening to Chaewon so well without fighting back? What have you done to her?” 

“Oh, you have no idea.” Hyejoo wiggled her eyebrows, earning an immediate swat on her arm from Chaewon. 

“Do tell!” Jiwoo clapped excitedly. 

“As much as this conversation has a lot of potential, this food has way more potential to fill my stomach and I’m starving.” Sooyoung grabbed Jiwoo’s hand. “And you’re coming with me.” 

Jiwoo whined cutely as she followed Sooyoung, but in the end Chaewon knew just how weak for food she was. 

“You okay?” Hyejoo grabbed her hand.  

“Y-Yeah, just, you know I’m not used to this kind of parties and such.”  

“If at any moment you want to leave, tell me, yeah? I won’t leave your side either, unless you want me to.”  

Chaewon smiled. “Of course not. Aren’t you hungry? I’m even hungrier now that I found out the food is free.”  

Hyejoo chuckled, leading her towards the food table. Jiwoo was already talking to a girl they didn’t know, and when she noticed who was there as well, it was too late, because their eyes had already met.  

“Chaewon! Didn’t expect to see you here.”  

“Oh, h-hi Professor Minatozaki, I can say the same.”  

The older woman laughed. Chaewon observed as her eyes wandered down, finding her hand still grabbing Hyejoo’s, who stood beside her with a smile. Chaewon retreated her hand and cleared , feeling her face starting to burn way too fast.  

“It’s okay, you don’t need to be embarrassed, I’m very well accompanied myself tonight.” Professor Minatozaki pulled an even taller, stunning figure of a woman by her hand. “This is Zhou Tzuyu, my wife. She teaches some classes here as well.”  

Tzuyu greeted them and bowed, and there was no way Chaewon could hide her shock. She let her chin drop and stole a glance at Hyejoo, who was still smiling bright as the sun.  

“I’m glad you got yourself someone to cherish. You better treat her well, she’s an excellent student and a hard-working girl,” the professor told Hyejoo.  

“Of course, she deserves nothing else than my best.”  

Sana squealed and yanked on Tzuyu’s arm. “Remember when we were this age and moved to our new place closer to campus?”  

Tzuyu caressed her wife's arm and rested her head against hers, smiling coyly.  

It hadn’t been that long since Chaewon could say she was used to seeing a couple of two women, but right now, she had to fight back a squeal, seeing how in love they were.  

“Alright, we’ll get going, great seeing you, Chaewon! I wish you all the best. Don’t forget to keep working on your essay!”  

Chaewon nodded and bowed, then waited for them to walk away to let out a long breath.  

“This was interesting,” Hyejoo said, and Chaewon only nodded. “What does she teach?”  

“Social Psychology.”  

“Wow. She’s something else. But she’s very nice!”  

“Yeah, she’s a great teacher. I just… would never say she’s also…”  

“Gay?” Hyejoo finished, earning a small nod. “Well, as you can see, anyone can be. You never know. I mean, there are some people you can tell by the vibe they give out, like me for example.”  

“Why do you say that? I was very shocked when I found out about you. I would never say you were.” 

Hyejoo laughed. “I think I’m pretty obvious, I wear flannels all the time. I guess your gaydar doesn’t work yet.”  

“My what?”  

“Nothing, you’ll learn with time. Hey, Sooyoung, did you hear that?” Hyejoo called, and both her and Jiwoo turned to them, mouths filled with food. "Professor Zhou is Professor Minatozaki's wife."  

"Wait, what?" Sooyoung almost choked on her food. "Wife? They're married?!"  

"Yeah! Oh man, both you and Gowon have cool, gay teachers, and I'm stuck with those boring old men." Hyejoo pouted and crossed her arms.  

"You never know if one of them is gay." Jiwoo laughed. "And I don't have one either, not that I know about."  

"But at least yours are cool."  

Chaewon laughed along, but she was still thinking about her Professor. The more people like them she knew, the more she realized that age, job or background didn't matter at all when it comes to love.  

"Let's eat?" Hyejoo grabbed her hand.  

She nodded at Hyejoo and smiled. Little by little, it was becoming easier to accept herself and her true feelings.  

"I wonder where the Lippie, Jinsol, and Choerry went,” Hyejoo said, and Chaewon scrunched her nose at the last name. “Hyunjin isn't coming?" She asked, placing one of each mini sandwich flavors on a plate.  

"She said she would be coming with Heejin."  

"Oh, there they are!”  

Chaewon turned and grinned, seeing Hyunjin approach with Heejin beside her.  

"Oh, Hyunjin!” Chaewon opened her arms and she rushed to hug her.  

“Having fun already?” Hyunjin asked, stealing a piece of food from Hyejoo’s plate.  

“We just arrived as well and came straight for the food.” Chaewon laughed.  

“Then, if we’re not a nuisance, we’re gonna join you.”  

“You’re not! Sooyoung and Jiwoo are with us too.” Chaewon looked back, and they were fighting over the last chicken wing.  

“They know that there’s gonna be more chicken wings, right?” Heejin asked, frowning.  

“Let them be, they’re happy like this. Let’s eat so I can finally drink.” Hyejoo walked towards them, taking the chicken wing from the tray.  

“Hey! That was mine!” Jiwoo tried to reach for Hyejoo’s hand, but too late.  

“No, it was mine!” Sooyoung pushed Jiwoo by her wrist, and she ended up in her arms, eyes finding each other and angry expressions melting.  

“I’m sorry, I’ll give you every chicken wing in the world,” Sooyoung said, hugging her even closer.  

“No, they’re all for you, baby.”  

Hyejoo faked a gag and approached, placing each of her hands on the back of their heads to bring them close. “That’s right, now kiss and shut up before I puke.”  

Chaewon shook her head, amused at Hyunjin and Heejin’s expression.  

“I deal with this on a daily basis. One second they’re bickering each other, the next they’re kissing.” She shrugged.  

“Is that allowed in here?” A new voice said, making them turn to it. Jungeun stood beside Sooyoung and Jiwoo, her intervention breaking their kiss.  

“Oh, Lippie!” Jiwoo cleared . “Sorry, we got caught in the moment.”  

“It’s okay, Jungeun can’t stand watching anyone kissing because it makes her remember how sad her single life is.” Jinsol snickered.  

Jungeun exchanged a quick look with Haseul, and both girls’ cheeks changed color. Haseul excused herself and approached Hyunjin and Heejin.  

“I’m not worried, someone will come in due time.” Jungeun cleared . “Something you can’t say about yourself.”  

“I can’t say that about myself because I’m single by choice. You know, I have plenty of options right now.” Jinsol flipped her hair and pretended to check out her nails.  

“Options? You talking about the food? I know right? There’s a lot of variety in here.”  

“Yah, wanna die-”  

“Stop fighting, you ing idiots.” Hyejoo extended her plate, giving her food as a peace offering. “Where’s Choerry though?”  

Why was Choerry so important?  

“Handing out drinks.”  

“She’s working here tonight?”  

“Yep, said they would pay her double, didn’t even hesitate. Oh, look at her! Choerry!”  

“Our savior!” Hyejoo raised her arms in the air. “Bring us that precious beer or whatever alcohol you have there!”  

Chaewon scoffed, rolling her eyes, and after hearing a giggle from Hyejoo, she was sure she noticed.  

“Good evening, ladies.” Choerry joined them, blinding them with one of her smiles. She looked like a high-class waitress, with her apron by her waist and holding a tray with several filled glasses.  

“That looks heavy, let me help.” Hyejoo took two glasses, giving one to Jinsol, and grabbing more to give the others. “It’s a shame you’re working and can’t dance with me tonight.”  

Choerry giggled and shook her head. “I don’t think you need to waste your flirting on me anymore.” She winked at her, smiling at Chaewon afterward. “I’ll be back soon with more drinks to satisfy your thirst, ladies. Enjoy your night.”  

Choerry turned and left to continue her job, as the others scattered, some to get more food, others to dance or chat.  

“She’s not dumb,” Hyejoo said, standing in front of Chaewon and giving her the last glass she took for her.  

“Neither am I.” Chaewon held the glass, looking at the liquid inside. “What’s this even?”  

“Looks like champagne.” Hyejoo took a sip. “Yep. Try it, it’s very sweet.”  

Chaewon brought the glass to her lips and tasted it first, then took a large gulp. "Did you mean it?"  

"What?"  

"What you told Choerry."  

Hyejoo chuckled. "Didn't you just say you're not dumb? No, I didn't. Why would I want to dance with her when I have you in front of me?" She brought their bodies together, an arm around her waist.  

Chaewon looked around, but everyone was minding their own business.  

"You did that the last time."  

"I know it was a low move, but that was on purpose. I won't do it again."  

"Please don't, not only for me but for her as well. You might hurt her feelings."  

"She doesn't like me in that way, she just wanted to have another night with me."  

"I get why."  

Both girls widened their eyes.  

"Wow, Park Chaewon, mind elaborating?" Hyejoo pulled Chaewon's body impossibly closer to hers, earning a gulp from her.  

"S-Shut up. You know perfectly well what I mean," she mumbled, avoiding her eyes.  

"But I would love to hear it, you know."  

"So you get cocky about it? I'll pass." Chaewon took a sip of her drink.  

"Okay, so instead of telling me, why won't you show me later?" Hyejoo whispered near her ear, feeling a grip on her shoulder.  

"Y-Yah, Son Hyejoo." Chaewon took a hoarse breath, sure Hyejoo heard it.  

"I really want to kiss you right now." Hyejoo's deep voice sent chills down Chaewon's spine.  

In a hall filled with people, it was just the two of them at that moment, and all Chaewon wanted to do was attend Hyejoo's wish. If Sooyoung and Jiwoo could do it, if professor Minatozaki could hold her wife's hand with pride, why couldn't Chaewon kiss her? She could and she would, because she wanted to.  

As a waiter passed by, Chaewon put her glass on the tray he carried, so she could rest a hand on the back of Hyejoo's neck. The other remained on her shoulder, in case Chaewon's knees decided to go weak as she pulled Hyejoo closer for a kiss, as deep and intense as Hyejoo loved. 

"Wanna go outside?" Hyejoo asked after kissing her neck.  

Chaewon gave her a smirk and grabbed her hand, leading the way.  

The cold night breeze hit their faces without mercy.  

"ing cold." Hyejoo squeezed Chaewon's hand, looking around and pulling her somewhere quieter than the entrance filled with people smoking. "A cigarette wouldn't be so bad now."  

"Go ahead."  

"Nah, I'm with you, I don't need it now. Why don't we go to my house?"  

"Already? I thought you wanted to enjoy the party and drink more."  

"Yeah, but getting drunk with your kisses seems like a way better choice," Hyejoo whispered, slowly pushing Chaewon against the wall.  

"Can you get any cheesier than that?" Chaewon circled her arms around her waist.  

"If you want me to."  

Chaewon giggled and her eyes wandered around for a second. It was enough for them to find something she couldn't not stare at now, with a deep frown creasing her features. Hyejoo tilted her head in confusion and looked back, trying to find whatever Chaewon was looking at.  

"What... What are they doing?" Chaewon asked, observing as Jungeun rested her arm around Jiwoo’s shoulders, bringing her closer and whispering something in her ear, making Jiwoo giggle and rest her forehead against Jungeun’s. They were best friends, but...  

"Oh ," Hyejoo muttered. "Why are they here? Damn, if that brat even dares appear in front of me later, she’ll regret it." She pulled Chaewon back inside. “First she was banging Jinsol, then Haseul, saying it helped her forget...”  

“Jinsol and Haseul, what?!” Chaewon almost shouted.  

“Jinsol ever since they met at the beginning of the semester, they kept it casual. With Haseul since salsa night. They were drunk, there was chemistry, boom. Thing is, Jungeun likes Jiwoo.”  

Chaewon's eyes went huge. "But she knows she's with Sooyoung! And they’ve been best friends for so long, how did that happen?"  

"Jungeun likes her since before they even got here.” Hyejoo sighed. “But I didn’t think she would actually try? Or at least like this. She’s not being honest, and I’m pretty sure Jiwoo is completely in the dark and she has no idea what she’s feeding because she’s just that clingy with everyone. I'll talk to Jungeun and try to put some sense in that ing empty head of hers."  

"But it's unfair, Sooyoung should know!"  

"What should I know?" Sooyoung’s voice froze Chaewon's body and breath. Did she hear it all?!  

"That there are more chicken wings. I'm sure I saw a waiter replace the tray just now." Hyejoo pointed in a random direction into the crowd. “There they are.”  

"Oh, I'm full now, but thank you. By the way, have you guys seen Jiwoo? She disappeared a bit ago while I went to grab some drinks."  

"No, we went outside to get some air, so we didn't see her," Hyejoo said.  

"Maybe I'll do the same, it's getting hot in here."  

"No!" Chaewon and Hyejoo stepped in front of her, earning a frown from Sooyoung.  

"It's cold outside, like really ing cold, we didn't even stay there for more than a couple minutes. You might get sick, and besides, we didn’t see Jiwoo there so she’s somewhere around here for sure. Why don't we go get a drink? It's on me." Hyejoo circled her arm around Sooyoung’s shoulders.  

"Hyejoo, are you drunk already? The drinks are free tonight."  

", you're right! How could I forget? Then one more reason we should go get one, or two, or three!" She dragged Sooyoung further into the crowd.  

Chaewon followed behind, still wondering about how could Hyejoo come up with lies so easily. She could only guess it was something she learned to do because of her father.  

"Oh, there she is!" Sooyoung said when she looked back. She raised an arm, waving at her. "Hey, Jiwoo!"  

But she didn't seem to have heard Sooyoung, because she kept on walking and smiling at Jungeun, with her arm around her waist.  

Chaewon turned to Sooyoung and the look on her face made her heart clench.  

"Did she not hear me?" She forced a laugh, walking in their direction.  

"H-Hey, Sooyoung-" Hyejoo tried to stop her, only to get her hand swatted away as she took hurried steps through the crowd to get to them.  

"Dear Lord." Chaewon looked up, then felt a hand on hers, pulling her.  

Even with Sooyoung right in front of them, Jungeun didn't move an inch, keeping the same nonexistent distance between her and Jiwoo.  

"Where were you? I went to grab a drink for us and you disappeared," Sooyoung said, not minding to hide the annoyance in her voice.  

"I went outside," Jiwoo said.  

"With Jungeun."  

"Yes, she came to talk to me when I was waiting." Jiwoo frowned. “What’s wrong with it? I’m sorry I took long and disappeared but--” 

Sooyoung scoffed. "You tell me what’s wrong."  

"What are you trying to say?"  

"Maybe Jungeun would like to explain."  

Jungeun’s throat bobbed and her eyebrows twitched. "E-Explain what?"  

"C'mon, can both of you stop playing dumb and explain what's going on?! I saw you come in with Jungeun’s hand by your waist. I know you’re friends, but I’ve been watching things like this happening and I just want you to tell me what’s going on once and for all!” Sooyoung exploded.  

Chaewon squeezed Hyejoo's hand, not knowing if she should step in, but even if she wanted to, she had her feet glued to the floor.  

"Nothing's going on, Sooyoung. Jungeun invited me to go outside and I thought it was a good idea to get some air. And like you said, we’re friends, why are you suddenly seeing things when it’s never been an issue?"  

A vein popped out on Sooyoung’s temple from how hard she clenched her jaw.  

"Seeing things? You disappearing out of the blue, curiously while I went to grab drinks for us, and also curiously with someone that seemed pretty interested in going with you." Sooyoung stared at the hand that was still on Jiwoo’s waist, then stared right into Jungeun’s eyes. “Jungeun, if you have something to say, be straightforward and say it, instead of being a coward and going behind our backs. Maybe Jiwoo really just isn’t seeing what I see, but I think you’re well aware of what you’re doing, and you've been taking advantage of that.”  

Again, Jungeun gulped, and Jiwoo frowned even deeper, as she pulled away.  

“What is she talking about, Lip? Behind our backs? What’s going on?”  

“Yes, Jungeun. What’s going on?” Sooyoung glared at them before she turned around and left, and Chaewon swore she saw her eyes shining.  

“I-I’m sorry!” Jungeun also turned, but Hyejoo was fast enough to hold her arm.  

“Running away now, you coward? Don’t you think it’s time to put your together and stop this crap?” Hyejoo’s voice was so powerful even Chaewon shrank in fear.  

“Let me go!”  

“No, you’ve caused enough trouble, stop thinking only about yourself! You’re going to face the consequences and solve the mess you created.”  

Jungeun sobbed, tears rolling down her eyes. “Please, let me go.”  

"I’m not going to let you do more damage to their relationship and also yourself."  

"H-Hyejoo-"  

"We’ll be fine, Gowon, I’ll take care of this. You go look for Sooyoung."  

Chaewon hesitated when Jiwoo grasped her hand with her trembling one. “Go, Chaewon. I don’t think she will react well if I’m the one going, and besides, I still need to understand what’s going on after all.”  

Chaewon gave her a small smile, even if forced, because she was probably as scared as her.  

If she was in that situation, where would she go? She went in the opposite direction of the entrance, so Sooyoung must be in the bathroom because there was no other place to be alone.  

And how right she was. As soon as she opened the door to the nearest toilet, she heard quiet sobs coming from the farthest stall.  

“Sooyoung?” She called, earning a sniff as an answer. “It’s me, I’m all by myself. Can I help? Do you need anything?”  

Another sniff later, the door to the stall opened and Sooyoung launched into Chaewon’s arms.  

Chaewon circled her arms around her trembling body and caressed her hair.  

“Do you want to go outside?” Chaewon asked, and Sooyoung shook her head against her neck. “What are you feeling?”  

“I don’t even know.” Sooyoung sniffed. “Ever since I know Jiwoo, she’s this social butterfly. She gets along with everybody, and I know I'm hard on her sometimes, so I'm scared that's she's getting tired of me. And now seeing her like this with Jungeun, I just get so insecure that she’s more interested in her than me, because she’s more like her, more outgoing, and more fun, and apparently better than me in every way...” She sobbed. “Jiwoo doesn’t see malice in anything, she didn’t even realize what was going on. Then I’m the one getting paranoid, alright... If only Jungeun had been honest instead of playing that game, then maybe we could solve this like adults.”  

Sooyoung sounded so hurt Chaewon didn’t know what to answer. She pulled away and cupped her face, wiping the tears away from her eyes.  

“Why would she get tired of you? She’s with you, right? I know she loves you, I can tell by how she looks at you.”  

“Does she really?”  

"I think the both of you need to have an honest conversation. Have you told her how you feel? About what you just told me."  

"Why would I do that? She just won’t understand."  

"See, I’m not experienced in this relationship thing myself, but I think you should be upfront about it. Just like you wanted Jungeun to be. If you don’t even try, you’re going to keep feeling scared, probably reading too much into things because of that. And I’m sure Jiwoo doesn’t want you to feel scared.”  

Sooyoung dropped her head, sniffing.  

“The way I see it, you sound like you believe Jiwoo was just oblivious and didn’t cause you hurt on purpose. It sounds like you’re mad at Jungeun and not her, and you took it out on her instead.”  

“Maybe you’re right. There’s too much in my head, I don’t even know what to think anymore. I got lost in my thoughts.”  

“I know what that feels like. That happened to me all the time whenever I tried to think of Hyejoo and all the situation. There was so much that at a time, I didn’t know what was wrong anymore.” Chaewon chuckled at herself, ripping a smile from Sooyoung. “If things went well, Jungeun and Jiwoo are talking things out right now. Then you can talk with Jiwoo about this, and about that fear of yours. Even if you think it’s something silly, it doesn’t do any good to keep it to yourself.”  

Sooyoung pulled her into another hug. "I’ll do that. And thank you, Chaewon. I'm sure you're gonna become a great therapist."  

The sudden compliment made her cheeks warm up. "I-I'll try my best. Do you want to go back inside and see how are things?”  

“No, let’s just give them time to talk.”  

The bathroom door flew open with Haseul and Yeojin stepping inside.  

"Oh, hey guys," Haseul said. "What's happening with Jiwoo and Jungeun?"  

Chaewon gulped. "W-What do you mean, what's happening?"  

"I disappear for twenty minutes to go get Yeojin, and when I come back, they're hugging and crying. Jungeun was like I'm sorry for being such a bad friend, and Jiwoo hit her like you should have told me earlier! Did they drink that much already?" Haseul shook her head, while Yeojin chuckled.  

Chaewon exchanged a look with Sooyoung, as they laughed, but deep down, she was so glad it went well after all. 

--- 

Chaewon let her body drop to the bed, a loud sigh escaping her lips as she closed her eyes. Hyejoo laid next to her, snuggling closer, resting her head on Chaewon's shoulder. She inhaled and hugged her, smiling as Hyejoo's scent reached her nose.  

"I'm so glad everything turned out well," Chaewon said.  

"Yeah. Jungeun realized that she was hurting her friendship with Sooyoung, and being dishonest with Jiwoo. This was all a big mess, but they will be fine."  

“How did Jiwoo react?”  

“She was shocked and pissed. Pissed because she was clueless and never realized, pissed at Jungeun for not telling and for acting like that, and pissed because that was hurting Sooyoung. But they talked and Jungeun apologized, so I think they’re fine now.”  

"Oh, I’m glad.” Chaewon rested her hand on her chest. “Sooyoung also talked her worries out with Jiwoo and she was so understanding and sorry that she didn't realize how Sooyoung was feeling."  

"Good thing this happened, after all."  

That made Chaewon ponder about her own actions. For so long she had judged Hyejoo, but had she wondered how she felt?  

“Hyejoo,” Chaewon called, receiving a hum in response. “I’m sorry.”  

Hyejoo looked up with a frown. “What for?”  

“I’ve judged you so much for several reasons when you never did anything to deserve my treatment.”  

“I don’t even remember that anymore, it doesn’t matter what happened when we met, it matters what we feel now.”  

Chaewon nodded. “I know I’ve said this before, but let’s always be honest with each other. Let’s not let something like this happen to us. If something’s troubling us, if there is something we’re scared of or anything at all. We’re here for each other, for the good and the bad.”  

Hyejoo chuckled. “Are we getting married?”  

A slap on her made Hyejoo laugh even more. “You just ruined the mood.”  

“I’m sorry, it was an easy joke, I couldn’t not say it. But you’re right. Let’s promise to always be honest and talk about what we feel, good or bad, so we can always fix whatever’s wrong without fights.”  

Chaewon smiled and kissed her forehead. “You’re so understanding. Thank you, Hyejoo.”  

“I’ll do my best to be the person you wanna be with. Now now,” Hyejoo said, crawling on top of Chaewon and leaving the distance between their lips almost nonexistent. “Remember that you had something to show me tonight?”  

“How could I forget?” Chaewon smirked, and taking a grip on Hyejoo’s arms, she rolled over her. “But who said that I would let you take that position?”  

Chaewon knew how much of an effect she had on Hyejoo, so she always used that to her advantage. She loved to see how Hyejoo hissed her name and how eager her hands pulled her closer with so little effort.  

She gave her one last smirk before leaning in to kiss Hyejoo and end her impatience.  

---

A/N: I never said that something big would be about hyewon kekeke

This was a long chapter and many things happened, I hope you enjoyed it a lot! 

Also, I know some of you who are reading this story had read my first ever fic, I'm in love with the hero, so if Sana and Tzuyu rang a bell, you were right, they're the same characters from that fic! Since Sana became a therapist in that fic, I thought she would be the perfect professor for Gowon ^-^

Thank you as always for the support on this story! ♥️