Big baby

Her own kind of heaven

Chaewon opened her eyes and blinked, the sun hitting her face. Taylor Swift’s Delicate played on the radio, and Hyejoo’s voice was low, but Chaewon could still hear it.  

Is it cool that I said all that? 
Is it chill that you're in my head? 
'Cause I know that it's delicate 
Is it cool that I said all that 
Is it too soon to do this yet? 
'Cause I know that it's delicate 

Sometimes I wonder when you sleep 
Are you ever dreaming of me? 
Sometimes when I look into your eyes 
I pretend you're mine, all the damn time 
'Cause I like you 

Chaewon stayed still, staring and admiring Hyejoo. She focused on the road ahead and sang, her voice low, probably so she wouldn’t wake her up. The sound of her voice and the image of the sun shining on her side profile was something Chaewon knew her mind would engrave for the longest time.  

And as she listened to the lyrics, she wondered if Hyejoo felt like that. How much did Hyejoo like and think about her? Chaewon never let her tell her honest feelings, and Hyejoo always respected that, just like she said she would take things as she wanted. But they never talked or mentioned that again. Was Hyejoo waiting for her? It should be time for Chaewon to think about that. 

--- 

“Gowon.” She opened her eyes and blinked. “We're here, and you don't want to miss this.”  

Chaewon looked outside the window and her jaw dropped. The sun didn't hit her eyes anymore, because the buildings were so tall she would have to pop her head out the window to see the top. It was as if she was inside a movie, like a main character arriving at the Big Apple to achieve her dream. She was a small speck of dust among all those people, all those tall, glass towers. 

“Awesome, right?” 

Chaewon nodded, still in awe. 

“Did you sleep well?” Hyejoo asked.  

“Yes. Your driving is so smooth it always puts me to sleep.”  

“Juju is also very comfy, isn't she?” Hyejoo patted the wheel.  

Chaewon laughed. “So, what's the plan?”  

“First of all, let’s get to our hotel, then we can decide what to do. I've searched for some things we could do and visit.” 

“I don’t really know anything about New York, so I’m fine with anything.” 

Hyejoo pulled over. “We’re here.” 

Chaewon looked at her side. The building was painted in black, with glass covering the walls, revealing the interior.  

“This is our hotel?” She asked as Hyejoo opened her door. 

“Yep,” Hyejoo said, getting their bags from the truck. 

“Good afternoon, ladies," a tall, handsome man, dressed in a black suit said. “Can I get your luggage inside?” 

“Thank you so much.” Hyejoo smiled, letting him carry both bags inside, as they followed him. 

Chaewon let her chin drop as she looked around. Everything screamed luxury. The decoration and furniture were a mixture of modern and chic, but then again, Hyejoo was probably used to this. That’s why Chaewon let her take care of things. She stood awkwardly behind her, still overwhelmed, looking around and observing the abstract painting on the walls with parted lips. 

“Let’s go,” Hyejoo said, carrying both bags. 

“You don’t need to carry my-“ 

“Just follow me.” Hyejoo looked back and shot her a smile. 

Since there was no use in fighting back, Chaewon followed her inside the elevator. 

And if Chaewon thought she wouldn’t be more surprised, she realized she was wrong when she stepped inside their room. 

Past the small entrance and a door to the left, a king-sized bed stood in the middle, with a big TV hanging on the wall in front of it. She walked further inside and opened the curtains to reveal glass doors that lead to the balcony. Stepping outside, she was greeted by the sun and a cold breeze 

“Sorry, I wanted to get us a better room, but this was the best I could find. It’s almost New Year’s, so everything’s packed,” Hyejoo said. 

Chaewon blinked. “Why are you even apologizing? This is way more than I could ever ask for. I have never stayed in a place like this. I don’t even know what to say.” 

Hyejoo sighed. “I’m glad you liked it. I didn’t want to disappoint you.” 

“Silly.” Chaewon booped her nose. “You need to stop spoiling me like this, or else I might get used to it.” 

“That’s what I want." Hyejoo circled her arms around her waist and pulled her closer. “For you to feel like a spoiled princess.” 

Chaewon winced. “Alright, cheesy hours canceled, let’s make our plan?” 

--- 

Since the hotel they were staying in was near Times Square, that was their destination after filling their stomachs with the best Italian food. Chaewon tried to look up and find the top of the buildings, but she gave up after a few tries because she would always get dizzy. 

“What do you think?” Hyejoo asked, grabbing her hand tight so she wouldn’t lose her in the sea of people crossing the road. 

“It’s... I’ve never seen so many people together.” 

“You’ve never been to Seoul?” 

“I live quite near Seoul, but I don’t remember it being like this. And it didn’t smell like this either.” Chaewon scrunched her nose. 

“Yeah, you’re right." Hyejoo chuckled. “If you don’t feel good, tell me.” 

Chaewon nodded and Hyejoo suddenly pulled her arm, as she pointed somewhere. 

“There’s one of the iconic stores I wanna go to!” 

“Lego store?” 

“Yes!” Hyejoo grinned, and after seeing how Chaewon tried to hold her laugh, she glared at her. “And don’t you dare judge me.” 

“I’m not judging you, you’re just too cute.” 

Hyejoo pouted. “Am I cute?” 

Chaewon lead the way now, because she was sure she had the dumbest smile on her face and she didn’t want Hyejoo to see it.  

And as soon as she stepped inside the store, Chaewon knew why Hyejoo wanted to go there so bad – right at the left, a statue of liberty, and hanging from the ceiling, a huge dragon that went all the way up to the second floor, all made entirely of Lego.  

Hyejoo’s eyes shone as she looked around, and letting go of her hand, she rushed to the nearest wall, while something caught Chaewon’s attention. Her chin dropped as she approached it and took the sight of the Lego Hogwarts castle.  

“Geek,” Hyejoo whispered.  

Slowly, Chaewon turned her head, her eyes shooting invisible laser beams at her.  

“Any problem?” 

“No, not at all, Hufflepuff. I think it’s adorable that you love Harry Potter and stuff like that.” 

“Why? Lots of people do, Gryffindor.” 

"I've told you, I'm a Slythe-" 

"No, you're not. You're a Gryffindor, deal with it." 

Hyejoo rolled her eyes. “Anyway, I always thought you would like romances and dramas or like that.” 

“I love those too, but nothing beats fantasy and sci-fi.” Chaewon turned her attention to the castle again.  

“You're right, but now let's go see the rest, or are you going to keep ogling at the castle?” 

Chaewon whined and let herself get dragged by Hyejoo. There were so many things she never imagined would have a Lego version, like replicas of cities. Apparently, those were Hyejoo's favorites. 

“Sydney or London?” She held each box on both sides of her face, her eyes jumping from one to another. 

“London. Well, Sydney is also pretty, with the Opera House and all.” 

“Well, both then.” Hyejoo shrugged. “Hey, let's get those for us!” 

Chaewon frowned and followed Hyejoo. There was a shelf dedicated to keychains with Lego characters. 

“Do you want to choose one you like, or do you wanna be like, super gay?” 

“What does that even mean?” 

“Hm..." Hyejoo held her chin. “There's Han Solo, but no Leia.” 

Chaewon laughed and held two keychains on her palm. “But there's Star Lord and Gamora.” 

Hyejoo pursued her lips. “Cute, but that Gamora looks... questionable.” She held back her laugh.  

“Fine, we won’t have matching keychains then.” Chaewon put them back and sulked. Indeed, that Lego figure wasn’t the best. 

They went back downstairs and Chaewon admired the store a bit more while Hyejoo paid for her Legos.  

“Isn’t that heavy to carry around?” Chaewon asked as they stepped outside. 

“Not much, but there’s one more store I wanna go, and I know I’m gonna buy stuff there, so let's go and then I can go back to leave the bags at the hotel." 

Made sense. Instead of asking where they were going now, Chaewon followed in silence, never letting go of her hand. 

“Holy , it’s real.” Hyejoo gasped as she turned the corner.  

A block further, Chaewon could read the big letters above the entrance – Nintendo. 

“Wow, there's a Nintendo store?” 

“Yep!” Hyejoo sounded even more excited than for the Lego store. 

Chaewon would never get used to how cute she looked when she was excited. 

A statue of Super Mario greeted them as they stepped inside, and Hyejoo froze. 

“Gowon, the music... it’s from The Legend of Zelda.”  

“I didn’t know you liked it this much.” 

“I do. I had a Nintendo Wii, and I played it like, a ing lot. But you can imagine what happened at a certain point.” 

Maybe she did, but she also didn't want to believe it. “W-what?” 

“My father broke it,” Hyejoo said with a sad smile, and yes, it was what Chaewon feared she would say. “My grades were falling so he literally grabbed it and smashed it on the floor in front of me. I was so traumatized that I didn't even consider buying another one, I just got a portable one to play without him knowing." 

Chaewon squeezed her hand, without words to say. 

“Then I started playing online games on my computer, especially League of Legends, as you know. He couldn’t just break my computer, I needed it for school. But you know what, we’re here, and we have a long vacation ahead, and we need to have stuff to do, so I'm gonna buy a Nintendo Switch for us.” 

“What? Isn’t that expensive?” 

“Doesn’t matter. Let’s try some games first, or else I’ll grab everything and buy it.” 

Chaewon used to play some videogames before as well. She eventually stopped to focus at school, but that didn’t mean she lost the ability for them. Hyejoo was great at everything, but Chaewon still surprised her with her hidden skills. 

“I think the staff is judging us,” Chaewon muttered, following Hyejoo upstairs and noticing the weird looks they were getting. 

“They won’t judge when they see the amount of things I’m gonna buy, so  th-” 

“What?” Chaewon asked, seeing Hyejoo frozen on the spot. 

“My two favorites are here! Holy , look at all the things!” 

All the left side of the upper level was occupied with Pokémon and The Legend of Zelda merch. Even Chaewon wowed at all the cool things, so she could imagine how Hyejoo felt because she literally ran to the Zelda area. 

Instead of following her, the shelf filled with Pokémon plushies attracted Chaewon (she had always loved plushies). She remembered some from the first generation, since it was the only one she played when she was young. They were all so cute she didn't know which one to pick for herself. 

“Gowon, look!” Hyejoo called, smiling as she caught Chaewon with a Vaporeon plushie in her hands. “Okay, I'm gonna take that for you, but look!” 

Chaewon couldn't even protest when Hyejoo stole the plushie from her hands, and finally looked at what she was talking about. 

“A puzzle?” Chaewon chuckled, looking at the box she was holding. 

“Yes, five thousand pieces! Isn't it beautiful? It's from my favorite Zelda game. Let's do it together.” 

Chaewon nodded, using all her might not to squeal and pinch the soul out of Hyejoo's cheeks. “I want to get something for you. Choose a plushie, since you're getting that one for me.” 

“You don't need to.” 

“But I want too. You're already doing so much, I want to at least give you something. So, choose one.” 

“Okay, then you choose one that you think suits me.” 

Chaewon rubbed her chin, but it didn't take long until she decided. 

“Eevee?” Hyejoo asked, irking an eyebrow. “Didn't expect it. Why do you think it suits me?” 

“Eevees has multiple evolutions, right? So, it takes many forms and types. Like you.” 

Hyejoo pouted and hugged the Eevee plushie, despite her occupied hands. “From now on, I'm a ing Eevee, es.” 

Chaewon laughed and patted her head. “Yes, you're a very cute Eevee. Now, are you done?” 

“Of course not! There are mugs as well, and cool lamps, and I think I'm just gonna take everything because why the not.”  

They made their way back down to go pay for all the stuff they could barely contain in their arms anymore, as Hyejoo pointed out they had rushed straight up and missed an entire section of the lower flower. 

“Look at all the stuff you already have, Hyejoo! What are you gonna do if you get tempted to take more things?” Chaewon whined. 

“We’ll just Uber back to the hot--” Hyejoo was interrupted by Chaewon’s loud squeak. “Gowon?” 

To her side was a wide-eyed Chaewon taking off in a run to a section with tons of pink plushies of varying sizes. 

“They have Kirby! So many! Look how cute it is!”  

Hyejoo followed after her, trying to balance her tower of items. 

“I never would have thought you were a Kirby fangirl. I would have taken you straight here if I knew.” 

“I must absolutely get one! It’s going to look so cute with all of my other plushies.” Chaewon scratched her head. “But how am I going to decide which one to take?” 

Hyejoo juggled the boxes and plushies in her arms to extend a hand and take one about the size of Chaewon’s head, and held it next to her face. 

“Now copy his face,” Hyejoo said, already containing a grin. 

Chaewon looked at the plushie and did as she said, opening in a wide smile. 

“Aaaaaah, it’s too cute. You do look kind of similar. Yep, this is the one.”  

Chaewon looked satisfied with her choice, and while Hyejoo argued that she should give it to her to carry to the checkout, Chaewon was already inseparable from her new friend and insisted she’d carry it herself. 

In the end, Hyejoo ended up buying a lot of stuff, indeed. Not just the Nintendo Switch and a bunch of games, but also figures, random merch, because she kept saying it was cool, and even more plushies, like she claimed, “They're cute and they'll look even cuter in our bed.”. Chaewon had to hide the silly smile with the remark about their bed. 

After spending much longer than expected shopping, Chaewon suggested having dinner. 

“Why don’t we try the hotel’s restaurant for tonight and then we search for good places to eat on the other days?” Hyejoo asked. 

“Great, we can also rest early. You must be tired from the trip.” 

Hyejoo nodded with a pout. “Hyejoo is tired.” 

Chaewon scoffed. “Since when do you talk like that?” 

“Hyejoo’s back hurts from all the driving.” She forced her voice to sound cute. 

“A-Are you doing aegyo?” 

“I’m naturally cute.” Hyejoo cleared . “I mean, Hyejoo is cute, and wants a massage.”  

“Okay, just stop talking like that. I would give you a massage even if you asked normally, you know?” 

“Okay, then, how about a massage with a happy ending?” Hyejoo wiggled her eyebrows. 

"Son Hyejoo...” 

--- 

Hyejoo plopped on the bed, face down. 

“I’m so full,” she said, her voice muffled in the sheets. 

“No one told you to eat five plates of food.” Chaewon shook her head, sitting next to her. 

“The food was too good!” 

“Yes yes, you’re right. Now, before you fall asleep, take off your sweater.” 

Hyejoo rose her head and smirked at Chaewon. 

“For the massage, silly.”  

“I didn’t say anything.” Hyejoo snickered. “But wait, before I forget.” 

Hyejoo stood up and Chaewon followed her with her eyes, as she approached the bags from their shopping. Chaewon gasped when Hyejoo turned with the Lego Hogwarts castle in her hands and the matching key ring hanging on her fingers. 

“I’m glad you’re always distracted with something, it was easy to get this without you noticing.” Hyejoo chuckled, as Chaewon grabbed it with shining eyes. 

“Y-You didn’t have to.” 

“Just accept it and say you’re happy.”  

“I’m really happy. Thank you, Hyejoo. Let's do it together when we're back." 

Hyejoo grinned and nodded, then took off her sweater and kissed her lips. “Now, the massage.” 

Chaewon patted the mattress. Hyejoo laid down on her stomach and Chaewon sat on her lower back, rolling up her sleeves.  

Silence filled the room as Chaewon worked on her tense shoulders, with a few random whimpers from Hyejoo.  

“Hyejoo,” she called. “I know this is random, but I remembered this. Do you write stories?” 

But there was no answer.  

“Did you fall asleep?” 

“No, just... why do you ask that?” 

“Remember when I found the pills? I didn’t mean to, but I also saw some papers on that drawer.” 

Hyejoo showed a small smile, closing her eyes as Chaewon massaged her sides. 

“They’re ideas for a video game. You know, like characters, lore.” 

Chaewon wowed. “Why didn’t you tell me about that?”  

“What’s the use if I can’t even dream about it?” 

Slowly, Chaewon lost the strength on her hands, until she came to a stop. 

“That was your dream until your father stole it. To develop games.” 

“You’re right, doctor Park Chaewon.”  

Chaewon let her body fall to her side, lying down beside Hyejoo, facing her. 

“It doesn’t matter if you’re studying law now. If you have a dream, go after it.” 

Hyejoo smiled. A sad one. “Easy to say.”  

Chaewon rested her hand on her neck, as she moved closer and stared into her eyes. “I believe in you. You’re smart and creative. I’m sure you’re passionate about it, or else you wouldn’t still have those ideas and the urge to write them down. And I truly believe that one day you’ll be able to do what you want. Your father doesn’t own you. You’re an adult, and you can make your own decisions.” 

“Not if that means ending in the streets with no money.” 

“I’m not saying right now. We’re still young, still studying, but eventually, we’re going to have jobs and incomes. Then, you will have that power.” 

“You keep mentioning we. Are you gonna ask me to marry you too?” 

Chaewon pinched her nose. “Is it a bad thing to think about us even if I’m talking about the future?” 

“It’s a great thing. Wanna elaborate it?”  

“Each day I spend with you, the more I realize how important you are to me. I’ll always be rooting and supporting you, and I want you to feel happy and loved. My priority had always been studying, especially when I came here, but that changed. You are also my priority now.” 

Hyejoo gulped. “No one ever told me I was a priority.” 

“Nobody had said that to me either until you did.” 

A hand came to bring Chaewon’s face closer, so Hyejoo could approach and kiss her lips.  

“I’m so glad we picked each other’s luggages,” Hyejoo said after pulling away. “If we hadn’t, we wouldn’t have met.” 

“Fate would have brought us together anyway, but still, I’m glad we did.” 

“Do you believe in fate?” 

“I don’t know, maybe.” 

“Fate or not, you have no idea how thankful I am for having you in my life.” 

“Lame time?” Chaewon chuckled. 

“Hey, you started it, and I already told you every second is lame time for me. But now, it’s more like honest time.” Hyejoo pecked her lips. “So, can I go on?” 

Chaewon held her gaze and waited. 

“No one ever made me feel like you do. No one ever listened to me and understood me like you do. My life has been a big piece of until now, as you know. But if everything happened so I could come here and get to know you, then it was all worth it.” 

There was nothing Chaewon could answer. She stayed still, lips a thin line, lost in the depth of honesty that Hyejoo’s eyes reflected. 

“If what you want is to make me happy and feel loved, then you’re doing it perfectly. I mean, you’re perfect, Chaewon, and I love you so ing much.” 

Chaewon’s gulp was the only thing that was heard in the room for the next seconds. 

“, I’m sorry, you told me not to say this until you had an answer-” 

“I love you too.” 

Hyejoo froze. “W-What?” 

Chaewon wasn’t even surprised by her sudden confession. She was, though, surprised that she had never said it before. 

“I’ve accepted it already. I really love you, Hyejoo, like I’ve never loved anyone before. I didn’t even quite know what love was before loving you.” 

“Holy ." Hyejoo breathed out. “Pinch me.” 

Chaewon laughed and pinched her cheek, giving her another kiss. “Silly.” 

“Y-Yah, I’m not silly,” Hyejoo said, and her lower lip started to tremble and her eyes shining.  

“Are you crying?” 

“No.” She sniffed, and a tear rolled down her eye.  

“Awn, Hyejoo, you big baby.” Chaewon pulled her into a hug, and Hyejoo squeezed her hard. “What is it?” 

“I’m just so happy. I didn’t even think I would get to hear that from you, so it hit me ing hard, you know. And what was that? Big baby?” Hyejoo laughed. 

“Yes, you're a big baby, and you know a thing I love about you?” Chaewon asked. “I don’t remember if I’ve told you this, but, I love that you seem so cool and unapproachable at first, with all the swearing and careless attitude, but deep down you’re so sweet and caring, and you have this sensitive and emotional side that I have the luck to know. That was what made me fall for you." 

“Then, would you date this unapproachable, but sweet, caring, and lame big baby?” 

“I’m basically living with you, I guess I’ve been your girlfriend for some time now, don’t you think? I mean, we do everything a couple does.” 

Hyejoo beamed, rolled on her back and threw her arms in the air. 

“Yo, Mom, are you listening?! Chaewon is my girlfriend!” She shouted, flailing her arms and legs, almost hitting her. “She’s gonna be so happy, she really likes you!” 

“What have you been telling your mom about me?” 

“That you’re the most beautiful girl on earth, and she agrees, and that you always make me smile and you’re the sweetest, most caring person, and you always help me and support me and, I don’t know, I probably said more things, but you get what I mean.” 

Chaewon kissed her, feeling Hyejoo’s lips forming a smile against hers. 

“Now that I can say it, you bet I’m not gonna shut up. I love you, Gowon.” 

“I can live with that. And I love you too, Hyejoo.” 

Hyejoo hugged her the tightest she could, rolling over, saying it time and time again, forgetting that the bed, even though it was king-sized, would eventually end. With a loud thud, Hyejoo fell on her , while Chaewon managed to grab on the nightstand and stop herself from falling on top of her.  

“.” Hyejoo cursed, still laughing at the situation, and herself now. 

“You okay?” Chaewon asked, lending a hand. “Need another massage now?” 

“Yes, I could use those heavenly hands on me now.”  

Chaewon glared at her. 

“I meant for the massage!” Hyejoo protested, and when Chaewon rolled her eyes, she crawled on top of her. “Didn’t say where, though.” 

---

A/N: IT'S OFFICIAL! THEY'RE GIRLFRIENDS!!! 

Hope you enjoyed the first part of their New York trip! Sorry for all the geek references, but that was how I felt when I was at those stores, especially the Nintendo store. When I stepped inside, there was really a song from Breath of the Wild playing, and I literally felt like crying lmao (I'm a really, REALLY big fan of Zelda, does it show much? ahahaha) And of course I had to add some Gowon and Kirby references hehehe

More fluff for the next chapter!!! ♥️