Too late

Her own kind of heaven

“Good morning.” Jiwoo yawned. “You okay?”  

Chaewon muttered a good morning back and nodded, holding the teacup between her hands to warm them up.  

Exams were over, but her falling out with Hyejoo wasn’t. What a timing for such a thing to happen. Or more like, why did it even have to happen at all. 

While breaking inside, Chaewon had to put up a mask not to worry her roommates. She would appreciate a little emotional support, but she wouldn’t bring that up until the exams were over. That should be the priority, both to them and to herself.  

But what did she do the last couple of days? Aside from trying to focus on the remaining exams, she locked herself up in her room, either crying, rolling on her bed, or praying.  

Chaewon never wanted to act bossy, and she was still worried sick about Hyejoo. She put Hyejoo above everything, even her studies, because her wellbeing was more important than anything else. But in exchange, she got those cruel, ungrateful words, like it was all for nothing. And it didn’t matter what she did, she couldn’t shake them away from her mind, as if she had heard them a minute ago.  

Wasn’t that too unfair?  

“You’re staying?” Jiwoo asked.  

Chaewon blinked. “What do you mean? Where would I be going?”  

“Oh, you filled that thing to stay here? Me and Sooyoung are traveling back to Korea for Christmas and New Year’s.”  

“What thing? Oh my God.” Chaewon set the cup on the coffee table, or else she would have dropped it. “The permit. I can’t believe it. Jiwoo, I completely forgot about that. Oh, Lord.” She stood up, holding her head in her hand. “Am I still on time?”  

Jiwoo bit on her lip. “Not really. We have to leave today.”  

Chaewon let her lifeless body fall to the couch. She didn’t need any more misery in her life right now.  

“What am I going to do now?”  

“Stay with Hyejoo.” Jiwoo winked and turned to get herself something from the fridge.  

“I can’t.”  

“Is she traveling somewhere too?”  

“We fought.”  

Jiwoo choked on her water, and after making sure she could breathe, she ran and sat beside her.  

“W-What do you mean? What happened?”  

“Is everything okay?” Sooyoung’s voice made both girls look up.  

“No! She fought with Hyejoo, and she forgot about the permit to stay, so now she has nowhere to go, and we’re leaving today as well!” Jiwoo spoke fast and with lots of random hand movements.  

“Wait, what? You what?!” Sooyoung widened her eyes and squatted in front of Chaewon.  

“We had an argument, I was rude, she was aggressive, I left, and we haven’t talked since." Chaewon avoided the worry in their eyes.  

“When did that happen?” Sooyoung asked.  

“A few days ago.”  

“Why didn't you tell us?”  

“I didn’t want to worry you guys when we still had exams.”  

“Do you think exams are more important than that? You should have told us!”  

“Soo,” Jiwoo softly called. “I know you're worried, I am too, but understand her reasons. She’s telling us now.”  

Sooyoung pursued her lips and nodded, mumbling an apology and grabbing Chaewon’s hands.  

“Are you mad at her?” Jiwoo asked.  

Was she?  

“I want things to be okay, but she said some pretty hurtful things. Cruel, even.”  

“Do you think she meant it?” Sooyoung asked. “You said she was angry, and you know she says things she doesn’t mean to when she’s angry. I’m not saying being angry is an excuse to say hurtful things, but maybe you need to talk and clarify what she meant.”  

“And I bet that she regrets it already,” Jiwoo added.  

“Then why doesn’t she come to me to explain, instead of waiting for me? Why does it always have to be me? Is her pride that big that she can’t be the first to apologize?” Chaewon said, not noticing how she squeezed Sooyoung’s hands.  

“You’re right, that's unfair.” Jiwoo dropped her head. “Maybe she realized the she did and now she’s afraid to talk to you? I don’t know, I really can’t understand Hyejoo sometimes. Do you want me to talk to her?”  

“No, it’s okay, I shouldn’t even be annoying you with this when you’re traveling today, I’m sorry.”  

“Don’t say nonsense, we wanna help with what we can while we’re here,” Sooyoung said.  

“Yeah, is there anything we can do?”  

Chaewon gave them a small smile. “I don’t think so. It’s okay, really. You’ve been helping me ever since we arrived here, it’s time I take care of myself and my problems. And you’ve already helped me, I’ll think about what you said and then I’ll… figure out what to do.”  

“But what about the holidays? Where will you stay?” Sooyoung frowned.  

“Maybe if I explain the situation, they’ll allow me to stay here.”  

“What if they don’t?”  

Chaewon sighed. “I'll figure something out.”  

---  

“Please, with all the things to study and assignments and the stress, I completely forgot. Please understand,” Chaewon pleaded.  

“I’m really sorry, dear, we can't let students stay in the dorms without a permit.”  

“Then where am I supposed to stay?”  

The dorm receptionist gave her an apologetic smile. “Rules are rules, and they must be the same for every student. We can't open exceptions. You must leave until 5 pm today. You should try asking your friends if any of them can help you.”  

Chaewon gulped and nodded, then returned to her room.  

She dove to her bed, staring at the ceiling, wondering what else she could do. Maybe her savior could help her, and no, it was not God this time.  

“Hyunjiniiiiieeeeee,” Chaewon whined as soon as she picked up. “Are you going to stay for winter break?” 

“Hey, Chaewonie. No, I’m going to Korea with Heejin. We’re leaving for the airport.”  

Could the situation go even worse? Chaewon closed her eyes and chuckled, because it was so bad she couldn’t even muster up energy to cry.  

“Why?” Hyunjin asked.  

“Just wondering,” Chaewon said. Not that she didn’t trust Hyunjin, but she had no strength to go through that conversation all over again. “Have a safe flight and have fun with Heejin.”  

“Thank you, enjoy your break and have fun with Hyejoo.”  

Chaewon laughed to herself and hung up. She had two hours to pack things and leave, having no idea what she would do.  

Maybe calling Jungeun or Jinsol? Or even Choerry? She scrunched her nose. No, they were all too close to Hyejoo, not like Chaewon was. And they knew for sure what happened.  

She would have to pray for a miracle to happen.  

--- 

It was almost midnight.  

After thinking, rethinking, and pondering on all the options she had, it all came up to one. 

And there she was, sitting outside Hyejoo’s house, unable to ring the bell.  

Her whole body trembled, her teeth gritted, and she couldn’t feel her hands anymore. She didn’t remember being that cold before. The only thing keeping her sane was convincing herself that He had some sort of reason to put her through this trial, like He always did. 

Then, snow began to touch the top of her head and the palms of her hands. Chaewon looked up and sighed, wondering how it could get even worse, because it was surely going to get to that. 

Little by little, the street was engulfed in a thin, yet freezing cold layer of white. 

How great it would be if nothing had happened, and she could be cuddling with Hyejoo under the blankets, watching the snow fall from the window, and then chuckle because Hyejoo wanted to smoke and threw a fit of curses when she opened the window-  

“G-Gowon?”  

Chaewon looked ahead. Maybe it wouldn’t be too late for that. 

---

A/N: the question is... what now?