Chapter 1

I Don't Know

 

 

 

“SON CCCHHAAAAEEEEEEYYYYYYOOOOUUNNNGGGGG!!!!!”

But even before Chaeyoung could answer, her unnie already kick her bedroom door open stomping angrily to the other girl, trying to intimidate Chaeyoung with her size, but she was the same size from the door to Chaeyoung’s face.

“YOU!” Her unnie growls. “I just bought this body wash three days ago!” Her Sana unnie says, shaking the bottle in her dongsaeng’s cute face “And now it’s like halfway gone!”

“Unnir…” Chaeyoung whines cutely “I have a girlfriend now. I need to take longer baths so I can smell good for a long time.”

Her unnir growls once again, and then she saw the mess inside her sister’s room, crumpled papers everywhere…

“What happened here?”

“Oh… This…” Chaeyoung proudly holds out a paper bouquet of flowers. “I spend all night trying to make it… Isn’t it pretty?”

“Geez… Have some pride in yourself, could you? If you want to take a longer bath, do it for yourself, not for the sake of your pretend girlfriend.”

“She’s not my pretend girlfriend.” Chaeyoung pouts “Michaeng is real.”

Sana raised her brow. “Michaeng?”

“That’s our pairing name.”

“You get more ridiculous by the day…”

“I’m ridiculous? How about you girl who keeps stalking that zombie cheerleader…. ACK!!!!”

Sana might be thin but she’s feisty, and nothing gets her in a berserk mode than someone talking smack about her future wife.

“HOW DARE YOU TALK LIKE THAT ABOUT YOUR FUTURE SISTER IN LAW!!!!!”

“SHE DOESN’T EVEN KNOW YOU EXIST!!!”

Sana throws Chaeyoung to the floor, annoyed that her choding sister had a good point.

“Well, this is my year that she’s finally going to know.”

“You say that every year but nothing happens… unnie… c’mon…”

Chaeyoung clenches her sister’s arms, bending down so she could stare intently in her sisters eyes. “This should be the Son sisters year of love… I have Mina and you have Tzuyu…”

“Son sisters year of love?”

“Yes… unnie… our year of love…” Chaeyoung picks up her bag and the bouquet of paper roses she made…

***

Mina’s eyes form narrow slits at the first person she saw in the morning.

“What are you doing here?” Mina says harshly, not even making an effort to be nice.

“I’m walking you to school. Like the good girlfriend that I am…” Chaeyoung says in delight not really picking up Mina’s hint… “I made this for you.”

Mina’s eyes darted at the mess of paper in Chaeyoung’s hand. She should just throw it on the ground and stomp on it, she’s pretty sure Chaeyoung’s heart is going to break and then she will leave her alone.

But she saw the glint of innocence and hope in Chaeyoung’s eyes when she took the flowers, and even she wasn’t cruel enough to hurt that.

“Thanks…”

“Read the note… read the note…” Chaeyoung says excitedly

“I love you until the last one die…” Mina didn’t get the logic of this, but of course she was talking about Chaeyoung, the girl obviously don’t have logic. “It’s a paper bouquet it won’t die.”

“That’s the point.” Chaeyoung giggles “Because my feelings for you is forever.”

Mina just sighs heavily… Truth was, she have never been in a relationship before, dates yes but relationship never. Her friends says her standards were way too high, and she takes pride in that but look what happened now?

Chaeyoung was about to reach out for Mina’s hand, but before she could try anything, Mina beats her to it, moving her hand away from Chaeyoung.

What are you doing?

“I’m trying to hold your hand.”

“No… you can’t.”

“But you’re my girlfriend… It’s a MUST to hold hands.” Chaeyoung reasons out…

“No… it’s not… where did you get that idea?”

“In anime…”

“Anime isn’t real.”

Even Chaeyoung have to agree to that, she has to rethink her strategy to find a way to hold Mina’s hand.

“In K-dramas?”

Mina wonders why she even bothers arguing with this kid. “They aren’t real either.”

But this time, Chaeyoung had a counter attack for Mina.

“But they’re real people and they’re just playing pretend like us but still they hold hands, they even kiss… So, if that’s the case then it means that we have to hold hands too.”

Myoui Mina was stunned for a moment, confused on how to get away from this logic…

“You know what, Chaeyoung? I’m sorry but we can’t do this anymore.”

“I know I’m tired of walking… let’s ride the metrorail…”

“No…” Mina slaps her forehead so hard… this girl was just giving her a headache… “No… I meant this relationship…”

There was that heartbreaking look, tears b on those doe eyes once again.

“But why? I’m a good girlfriend?” Chaeyoung reasons out… “Maybe I should just tell the world that it’s over…”

Chaeyoung takes out her phone…

“Good idea…” Mina sighs in relief, thankful that it is all over.

“And then when Amber sees this post…”

The thought of Amber creeping on her again gave Mina the creeps again…

“She will ask me, and I’ll tell her were over and it’s her chance to win your heart again.”

Oh the horror of Amber trying to get it on with her was enough to give Mina nightmares.

“No.no.no.no.no.no” Mina pleads… “Please don’t do that…”

Chaeyoung was smirking to herself…

“So, between her or him and me? Who do you choose, unnie?”

“You.. you… ok? I choose you.” Mina says desperately before Chaeyoung could twit it out to the world.

Mina looks surprise as Chaeyoung started to giggle…

“What’s so funny?” Mina says in wonder.

“You said I choose you… Like I’m your pokemon… Chaeyoung, I choose you…” Chaeyoung says in a pokemon voice before giggling once again.

Mina then quickly picked up that she was deuced that very moment.

“Why you lil…” Mina growls…

“I’m Mina’s pokemon!” Chaeyoung then gasps happily at the thought “That should be my new user name… Mina’s pokemon…”

This little child was torturing her to the very core, but Mina knows arguing with her would be very pointless. She should just play fire with fire…

“Fine… I’m going to hold your hand…”

Chaeyoung let out an excited squeal reaching out for Mina’s hand.

“But wait…” Mina quickly pulls away, quickly making Chaeyoung’s happy face turn into a sad pout “In one condition…”

“What?”

“Ummmm…ahhhh… well…” Myoui Mina thought of a surefire way that Son Chaeyoung couldn’t touch an inch of her “You have to tell me all the names of the members of AKB48”

Chaeyoung’s jaw drop at how ridiculous this was…

“Hu-what?! But they have like a million members!”

“No… just 48…”

“But still that’s pretty close… don’t you know it took me a month to memorize all the member’s of Twice?!”

“Then, I guess it will take you forever before you can hold my hand…”

“I will hold your hand!” Chaeyoung says full of determination.

This time it was Mina who was smirking confidently… she wins this round…

For now…

*

There were only two things that are interesting in school for Son Chaeyoung… Myoui and Mina… and now that she’s her girlfriend (well, she claims her to be) it did get her more interested in going to school, but the times that they’re apart it’s when it’s so boring for Chaeyoung.

“What club are you joining Sakura?”

“Ummm… glee club I think… How about you?”

“Ummm… IDK…” Chaeyoung shrugs… “What club is my girlfriend in?”

Sakura remains quiet, not knowing how to respond to it…

Chaeyoung slaps her forehead “I’m such a horrible girlfriend… I don’t know the things that my girlfriend likes to do”

Chaeyoung then takes out her strawberry notebook and starts scribbling in it… It was enough to surprise Sakura because even in class, Chaeyoung doesn’t even take notes…

“What are you writing?”

“It’s my list of things to know about unnie…”

“Oh…”

“Yeah…” Chaeyoung smiles… “I know your sister is just forced to be with me… So, I’m like thinking if I put more effort and do the things she likes then maybe she would like me back…”

Sakura could clearly see and feel how sincere Chaeyoung was with her sister, and if Chaeyoung wasn’t such a choding, Sakura have to admit that her sister would be lucky to be loved by someone like Chaeyoung.

Maybe that’s what she should do, help Chaeyoung win her sister’s heart.

“OMO!!!!”

Sakura have never seen Chaeyoung this excited, other than the time when Chaeyoung went to their home and accidentally saw her unnie wrap in a towel.

“Look!” Chaeyoung drags Sakura over to the food lovers club. “Hi! Me and my sister in law wants to sign up for this club…”

Chaeyoung told the skinny girl all slouch up behind the foodlover’s club booth.

“Just sign up here…” The girl happily pointed to her clipboard… “Oh hey Sakurababy… looking more and more like Mina aren’t you?”

Chaeyoung’s ears quickly perked up at the sound of her girlfriend’s name.

“You know Mina?”

“Oh, are you the famous Son Chaeyoung I’m hearing so much about these days?”

Chaeyoung points to herself in surprise “I’m famous?”

“Of course… if you are dating Myoui Mina you are obviously going to be famous.”

Chaeyoung let out a proud smile. “Yes… she’s my girlfriend…”

“This is Momo unnie, she’s one of unnie’s bestfriend…”

“Hello…” Chaeyoung offers her hand “I’m Chaeyoung, Mina’s girlfriend… I hope we can be friends…” she bows down politely, her forehead almost banging on the table with how low she bows.

“Pfft… don’t be so serious, of course we could be buddies…”

“But wait…” Chaeyoung raises her head, narrowing her eyes suspiciously at Momo. “You’re not one of those people who is secretly in love with their bestfriend, right?”

Sakura shakes her head after hearing what Chaeyoung just said, her bestfriend watches too much anime…

“Because if you are, I will fight you to the death…” Chaeyoung threatens Momo…

Momo starts laughing, enjoying this girl already.

“No…no… don’t worry… Mina is all yours…”

Momo sees the cute girl writing on her strawberry notebook. Momo then takes a peek of her clipboard and smile at the name.

1. Son Chaeyoung
2. Myoui Sakura- my sister in law

As Mina’s bestfriend, Momo have met pretty much all of the people trying to hook up with Mina, they were ok, some really goodlooking but none of them seems to be genuine…

But this cute girl right here, she instantly won over Momo’s vote. She was obviously so sincere and what’s so adorable was her undying innocent love for Mina.

“You know what, kid… I like you…”

“I’m sorry, you’re cute and all… But my heart, my soul and my everything is Myoui Mina’s property.”

Sakura smacks her forehead once again with her BFF ridiculous comebacks, but Momo was laughing once again.

“Not for me… For Mina… From now on, kid… you have my back.”

Chaeyoung smiles brightly, before writing something in her notebook.

Momo, my gf’s BFF… maid of honor in our wedding <3


*


“I met your girlfriend today, Minari…”

Momo should really watch what she’s saying, seeing that she almost choke when she heard that.

“She’s really cute, Minari…”

“Then, date her…”

“I would but she’s so into you…” Momo says, slouching in the cafeteria chair “Why do I feel like you're PMSing today?”

Mina exhales sharply before slouching next to Momo.

“I got into detention today…”

“What?” Momo raise her brow in confusion “Detention? That’s like a high school thing?”

“I know but it’s like a new program they’re doing as a punishment to students. but you know Victoria…”

“That girl just can’t stand your guts…”

“And she’s using what happened with Amber to just find a reason to put me down… Well, we were just discussing in class and then the argument got heated and I accidentally called her a name.”

Momo chuckles “It’s kinda real though… but oh well… sorry bout that…”

“God! I have been so careful my entire student life then something like this would just ruin me…” Mina took a deep breath and picks up her stuff. “I got to go ahead… Tell Jeongyeon and Nayeon, I’ll just see them later…”

“Alright…”

*

“What time should I pick you up?”

Mina jumps back in fright as Chaeyoung just pops out of nowhere… Chaeyoung was right there hopping from foot to foot, looking so excited.

“Well, you can’t drop me home today…”

The hopping Chaeng came to a stop.

“Why not?” Chaeyoung stomps her feet in irritation “I’m your girlfriend, it’s my duty to take you home.”

“Because I’m stuck in detention, it would be too late for you so you might as well just go home and watch your cartoons…”

“They’re animes… you can learn a lot from them…” Chaeyoung scratches her head in wonder “I thought detention only happens in high school?”

“I thought so too… but I guess not…”

Mina walks ahead of the girl.

“I could wait for you…”
Mina just let out a defeated sigh before walking away.

“Don’t torture yourself…”

*

“I found the perfect girl for Mina…” Jeongyeon says proudly… “Hey!” She smacks Momo’s hand away from her lunch. “I thought you ate lunch already…”

“no it was brunch… this is lunch… and whoever your girl is, I found the better girl…”

“You? your ideal guy is someone who smells fruity…”

“What kind of friends are you two?” Nayeon snaps at the two, surprising the two “didn’t you guys notice that I’m all quiet and depress here…”

“Ok, fine… I’ll pretend like we care, what’s wrong?”

Nayeon narrows her eyes at the two girls.

“I thought I found the perfect girl for Mina…”

“After your Amber fiasco you’re still not giving up, huh?”

“That was a trial and error thing… This was for real… I thought she and Tzuyu would be cute…”

“Tzuyu?” Jeongyeon almost yells out “don’t you watch walking dead?! she’s one of those things!”

“You are being ridiculous… she’s prettier than a zombie…”

“Tzuyu Chou? Delayed reaction Tzuyu?”

“Huh?” Momo wonders confusedly “Delayed reaction?”

“Well… let’s just say Tzuyu moves in her own pace…”

Jeongyeon just shakes her head, Tzuyu and Mina will never work.

“Why delayed reaction?”

“Well… she’s a cheerleader, right? But let’s imagine were doing YMCA… while the rest of the cheerleading squad is already in M… she’s still doing letter Y…”

“So, she like to move in her own pace?” Nayeon defended the other girl “So, anyways… here’s what happen…”

Flashback…

Nayeon wonders how a person could eat and sleep at the same time, but obviously Tzuyu has that special gift.

“So, yes… about my friend, Mina…”

“I don’t know Mina…”

“How could you not know her? she’s everywhere…”

“I just don’t…” Tzuyu blinks… “So, you’re pairing me up with Sana, right?”

“What?!” Nayeon almost yells out “No… we are talking about Mina not Sana…”

“No… you’re pairing me with Sana…”

“Ummm… no I’m not…”

Then, Nayeon’s eyes widen as she saw the fire in Tzuyu’s eyes.

“Sana not Mina… But she’s too caught up with her camera… so, you’re going to do that.”

“Why would I?” Nayeon screeches out.

“Because I will hurt you…”

“Pffft… yeah right…” Nayeon scoffs mockingly… “You’re slow and weak… ACK! Oh my God! not my face! I have a K-pop idol face... if you mess with it, i will look like a mascot.”

Nayeon didn’t dare move as Tzuyu holds a chopstick to Nayeon’s face. Nayeon can't allow anyone messing with her God given beauty.

“What you say?”


“I said you’re beautiful and God loves you…”

Tzuyu lowers her weapon down.

“Awesome…”


End of flashback…

*

“So, let’s get this straight, you are now going to play cupid between Tzuyu and Sana?”

“Yes…” Nayeon sobs out “If I don’t she’ll hurt my face… this is the money shot… baby…”

“Anyways…” Jeongyeon says confidently “My girl is the best… Dahyun with her purple hair.”

“Are you kidding me?” Momo scoffs… “My girl is the best, let’s see what’s she’s going to do when I told her what happen why Mina got into detention.

“What is it?”

The other two asks curiously, but Momo just scoffs.

“I don’t either.. but I’m pretty sure it will be epic.” Momo says confidently before grabbing a wonton from Jeongyeon’s lunch.

*

“Chaeng? Are you sure about this?”

Sakura didn’t even know why she was helping Chaeyoung out with this plan, wouldn’t this make her an accessory to the crime?

“I have never been surer in my life” Chaeyoung says proudly before putting the Pikachu mascot on her head. “I have to defend my master…”

Sakura just groans, she sighs too much these days.

*

Riiiinnnngggg….

That was Chaeyoung’s go signal for her plan… The 5 o clock bell, which means everyone is coming out from their classes.

She was peeking from the corner and saw her victim…

“Victoria Song… feel my wrath…”

Chaeyoung promises out before running to the school hallways in her Pikachu mascot.

“Is that Pikachu?”

Every girl in that hallway looks up as A cute fluffy Pikachu mascot comes running in the hallway…

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Victoria screams out. The byun Pikachu just flips Victoria’s skirt for everyone in school to see her polka dot undies.

Kekekekekekekeke… Pikachu laughs triumphantly until she bumps into a very stern, and pissed off looking professor.

“You’re in very, very, very big trouble young lady…”

Pikachu just tilts her head in the side before asking the professor.

“Pika?”

“Detention now!!!”

*

“Chaeyoung?”

Chaeyoung peek her cute head shyly in the room, batting her lashes cutely… Mina ends up turning away, not wanting to let Chaeyoung see that she was kinda cute.

“They put me in detention…”

“I heard…”

Chaeyoung sat on the desk in front of Mina before turning around to face her.

“I heard you flip Victoria’s skirt?”

“What? No… it’s the wind… I was walking so fast like the flash, so, there was like wind and then the wind did it…”

Mina covers her eyes, embarrass that she was crying in front of a complete stranger. Well, Chaeyoung is her “girlfriend” but truth is, she doesn’t know anything about the girl other than she was an annoying little brat…

“Hey… hey… don’t cry…” Chaeyoung says in panic…

“I just… it just pissed me off that I work so hard and I’m just worried how this would affect my record. I did all this good things, and the thing that they might see is that I got into detention…”

Mina didn’t know why she was pouring everything out to this kid…

Chaeyoung hurriedly scurried inside her backpack, almost panicking as she looks for something before finally ending up tearing a notebook paper and giving it to Mina.

“What is this?” Mina sniffles…

“I…I don’t have napkin right now, so I’m improvising…”

It’s weird how that little gesture even if it was a fail, made Mina laugh… She was about to wipe her tears off with the back of her sleeves, when Chaeyoung grabs a hold of her arm. Mina looks up on those doe eyes in surprise, until Chaeyoung leans over and wipes Mina’s tears with her own sleeve.

“Why you do that for?” Mina asks…

“Ummm… I… I don’t want your sleeve to get all wet…”

Mina smiles… “But you’re getting your sleeves wet…”

“Well it’s your tears and its worth it…”

Mina lowers her gaze down to the table, trying to hide her smile.

“So, why did you really flip Victoria’s skirt?”

“Because she got you in trouble.”

“Well, now she got you in trouble…”

“I’m right here and I have you all to myself… I don’t think it’s trouble at all.”

Chaeyoung’s lips spread in a toothy grin…

"And besides as your girlfriend, I have to protect your honor.”

“You’re doing a good job… you should just be my bodyguard instead of my girlfriend.”

"I'm your pokemon, remember?"

Mina covers her face, trying to hide her smile from Chaeyoung.

“you know Minari… I memorize almost 10 of the members… 38 members to-“

Chaeyoung froze when she felt Mina’s hand on hers… Mina’s hand was a bit cold, but it felt so smooth, Chaeyoung just let her fingers glide through the smooth skin, running over the bumpy knuckles before twining their fingers together.

“So, I don’t have to memorize all members anymore?”

“You should. I’m just going to let you pass this day.”

Ahemmm… ahemm…

The two quickly pulled away when they heard the deep voice of the balding teacher. Chaeyoung’s face contorted into a deep scowl after the interruption.

“You two can go….”

Mina thought Chaeyoung would let go so they could get ready to leave, but instead Chaeyoung kept a tight hold on her left hand…

*

“I have to go to the bathroom…”

Mina now knows better than to underestimate Chaeyoung because the girl never let go of her hand…

“Are you going to come with me to the toilet too?”

Mina of course said it as a joke…

“Could I?”

Of course Chaeyoung didn’t get it…

“It was a joke…” Mina frowns…

“I could close my eyes?” Chaeyoung debated back.

“No…”

“I don’t see what’s the big deal…” Chaeyoung frowns… “I will see you when were married anyway”

Mina gasps in disbelief at Chaeyoung’s statement… Just this morning they were just girlfriends, now Chaeyoung is talking bout marriage?

“A big no…”

Mina snaps before finally going inside the toilet. Yet, she couldn’t help and almost let out a laugh as she sees Chaeyoung’s shoes just standing right there in front of her toilet.

The moment she came out of the toilet, Chaeyoung was quick to almost grab her hand but she pulls away.

“I need to wash my hands…”

Mina expected Chaeyoung to just step back, but instead Chaeyoung ended up clutching on Mina’s bag as if unwilling to ever be apart from Mina.

The moment she throws the paper towel in the garbage, Chaeyoung didn’t miss a millisecond to hold Mina’s hand again.

*

Mina expected that since Chaeyoung have short legs, probably shorter than hers that she walks fast but instead Chaeyoung walks like a turtle.

“Why are you walking so slow?”

“So, that I can hold your hand longer…”

Mina looks away, trying to hide her smile. Her eyes darted to the corner, trying to gaze at Chaeyoung and she could see a big smile plastered on Chaeyoung’s face as they were walking home.

Mina then did something she didn’t expected, she would even do… She slides her fingers between Chaeyoung’s fingers and clenches them tightly together. Mina didn’t look at Chaeyoung’s face to see how the girl look, but in a way she figured out how Chaeyoung felt because when Mina brushes her thumb on Chaeyoung’s pulse, it was beating rapidly…

*

“So, this is just for today?”

“Yes… go on and memorize the members then maybe we can hold hands…”

“I will…” Chaeyoung says in determination.

“Ok…” Mina just stares at their hand “You can let go now…”

“Oh…” Chaeyoung says in disappointment , not willing to let go “Can I walk you to your room?” Chaeyoung asks so innocently

“No… it’s late, go home…”

“B-but…”

“Good night…”

“Ok…” Chaeyoung hangs her head low in disappointment as Mina let go of their joined hands. “Night…”

Mina walks in to her home, but before she steps inside she reaches out for Chaeyoung’s hand, giving it a gentle squeeze.

“Thanks for everything.”

*

Sakura was busy memorizing the table of elements but then she saw something so bizarre outside the window… There was Chaeyoung just dancing like an electrocuted chicken outside their gate.

Sakura smiles as she watches her bestfriend…

*

Mina knew she must look like an idiot right now, smiling for no reason… She turns her hand, looking at the hand that Chaeyoung held the whole time.

“How was detention?”

Mina’s face quickly turned into a frown.

“It wasn’t bad…”

Mina quickly dismissed it and walks ahead of her sister. Sakura just pretended that she didn’t see the smile in her unnie’s face, but it was there and it was the happiest she ever seen her unnie.

I don’t know what you’re doing to my sister, Chaeng… But whatever it is, you’re doing a good job.