Chapter 8

I Don't Know

 

Your sharp nose seems like it could cut me
Your electrifying eyes make me melt
Your copper-toned skin looks sweet
I want to thrillingly approach you and steal you
- Orange Caramel, Lipstick

 

 

*

“Hold on a second…”

“What?”

It worried Mina that the second Chaeyoung pulled away, the girl was running hurriedly to the other side of the rooftop. It made Mina wonder if she was going too fast. But unknown to her, the second Chaeyoung was in the other corner. Chaeyoung started dancing excitedly, flailing her arms in the sky while hooting…

 

“We kiss… we kiss…oh  yeah…oh yeah…oh yeah!!!”

 

Chaeyoung was so happy, she was doing the crab dance, leg dance and cobra dance all at once. She quickly clears and runs back to Mina. The two blushingly look away from each other and it was Chaeyoung, who stepped closer until they were toe to toe.

 

To say Mina wasn’t nervous is an understatement, she tries to recall what to do on this situations. She tries to dig her brain and try to remember from every romantic movie she watch, romantic novels she read.

 

What do lovers do at the time as this?

 

She was about to wrap her arms around Chaeyoung’s shoulders, but stop… Wait… that’s what girls do… But they’re both girls. So, she should do it? Or Chaeyoung? But while she’s racking her brain for an answer, here was Chaeyoung, taking Mina’s arms and let it wrap around her shoulders.

 

Chaeyoung dipped her head, smiling as her lips softly touch Mina’s own. Her arms wrapping slowly around Mina’s waist.

 

And Mina never realized how beautiful Chaeyoung truly is, until she was that close…

 

“You’re perfect…”

 

End of flashback…

 

*

“Minari? Minari? Minari?!”

 

“W-what?”

 

Mina’s soft grin quickly disappeared into a deep frown when she sees her three bestbuds staring curiously at her.

 

“What is it?” Mina immediately put up her usual angry birds look on her face.

 

“Nothing dude,” Jeongyeon was the bravest one to spoke up, while the two others back away. “It’s just that you have this weird thing going on in your face.”

 

“It’s called a smile, Jeong.”

 

“Oh yes… that’s what it is… keke… it’s just that we hardly see it on your face, that we're like weirded out.”

 

Mina now looks like a very angry angry bird.

 

“Not that it’s a bad thing. We love it…” Momo quickly wave her arms, trying to appease the girl.

 

“Why are you smiling, Minari? Is it because you’re going to be my prince?”

 

Mina raise her brow, confuse to what Nayeon is trying to say.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“Dude!” Momo drapes her long arms on Mina’s lean shoulders “I think you’re forgetting that we go to an all girls school. You’re like the closest thing these girls have to a dashing prince. Don’t you know like girls nickname for you?”

 

Prince Minari, Minari oppa.

 

Yes… Mina is quite familiar of each of one of those. She just doesn’t pay much attention to it. Although ignoring it didn’t help, her fanbase just seem to grow each second.

 

“Okay, okay…” The teacher grabs their attention. “That’s enough talk ladies… now it’s time to discuss the different roles. Of course, for the prince, as expected we have Myoui Mina…”

 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh….

 

There is almost that automatic squeal from the fangirls. And Mina just stilled her facial muscles, not wanting to talk or even show any reaction to it.

 

“And our snow white will be… no other than…”

 

Nayeon could feel the applause now, no other person deserves the role of someone so pure and beautiful. She is the epitome of snow white. It’s like the fairy tale is written about her… Oh yeah, she’s going to rock snow white… She stood up, ready to thank her fans with her beauty queen wave.

 

“Hirai Momo…”

 

And Nayeon immediately sat back down.

 

“HU-WHAT?!” Nayeon’s eyes looks like they were about to pop out of their sockets because of how large they suddenly got. “Wait her?!”

 

Nayeon points to the lanky, girl who was also too stunned that she stop munching her chips.

 

“She can’t be snow white!”

 

Momo frowns at Nayeon, “AND WHY NOT?!”

 

Nayeon just rolls her eyes “DUH! Cause you’re not that white!”

 

“RACIST!” Momo points a shaky finger at Nayeon.

 

“They call it snow white for a reason, So… if you’re going to be the lead, they might as well call it snow black…”

 

“Are you blind? I’m not black!” Momo corrected her “My skin is the color of caramel.”

 

“Of course food… why am I not even surprise?”

 

“It will be okay Nayeon, as you may know you are going to play an important role too.”

 

The word important fit Nayeon well and quickly got her attention.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes… you’re going to be the evil queen.”

 

“Are you kidding me? This face?” Nayeon points to her money shot “This angelic, fell from heaven face? An evil queen?”

 

“You just seem like you could play the part well.” Their teacher quickly move on, leaving Nayeon with so many questions. “And for the role of the mirror, no one fits the role perfectly as Yoo Jeongyeon.”

 

Jeongyeon starts waving her hand.

 

“And for our drawves we have... Tzuyu as Sleepy, Dahyun as Bashful, Sana as Dopey, Luna as…” The teacher kept on but Sana wasn’t paying attention anymore…

 

Sana sinks in her chair deeper, completely embarrassed of her role.

 

“Oh god… of all the dwarves, I have to be the stupid one…”

 

*

 

That’s a unique bouquet, Chaeng.”

 

Sakura says amusingly as she sees Chaeyoung carrying a bouquet of strawberries. That’s right… unlike the typical way of getting your someone special a bouquet of flowers, what Chaeyoung has on her hand is a bouquet of Strawberries.

 

“Yes… did you know Sakura? That strawberries are part of the rose family?”

 

“It is?” Sakura sounds surprise that Chaeyoung would know something informative, useless but informative.

 

“Yes.” Chaeyoung nods proudly.. “And I think my y bear would like some fruits rather than roses. Although roses are more romantic… Hmmm?”

 

Chaeyoung starts to pout thoughtfully… thinking if she should just get roses too.

 

“OMO!” Her thoughts quickly went poof at the sight of her y bear with her bear friends. There is tall bear, pretty bear and genius bear.  Chaeyoung was just about to run over Mina when she saw something that made her stop.

 

Mina opens her locker and just as expected a flood of valentines card almost drowned her. Tons of admirers both secret and blunt just waiting for their chance to be Mina’s date for the most special day of the year.

 

“Ohhhh… Minari, if you have extra chocolate… you know who’s your girl.” Momo bobs her brow, having no problems just pointing to herself.

 

“Ok…”

 

“Here comes the fangirls…”

 

Jeongyeon calls out as she sees three excited schoolgirls coming over to them.

 

“Mina- sunbaenim…” They bowed down and Mina just tilts her head, like the cool person that she is.

 

“Hello…” Mina said in her cool voice that made the girls spaz like kyaaaaaahhhh!!!!

 

“Sunbaenim… we heard that you got the role of the prince for our valentines day theatre and we have to say, nobody fits the role better than you.”

 

Mina just replies with a polite nod.

 

“We were just wondering, who would Prince Minari be taking as her date for the valentines after party?”

 

“Date?”

 

“Yes…” The girls ask their eyes filled with hope…

 

Mina just scoffs playfully before answering them.

 

“My date is a fruit ninja.”

 

On the other side, Mina's fruit ninja and her sweet potato sidekick just observe everything that have happened from the corner.

 

“Chaeng?” Sakura asks sympathetically as she sees the sad look on Chaeyoung’s eyes.

 

“I forgot how many admirers she has…” Chaeyoung says sadly.

 

“But you’re the one unnie agreed to be her girlfriend.” Sakura coos her sad bestfriend “So, that makes you special, right?”

 

Chaeyoung bats her lashes hopefully. “You’re right… I have an edge against those others… Now I must go!”

 

Sakura ends up SMH as she just watches Chaeyoung run out of the school.

 

*

 

“Hi unnie…” Chaeyoung says excitedly as her downtrodden sister walks into their kitchen. “How was your practice, does Mina look so cute? Hmmm? Hmmm?”

 

Sana sigh heavily, sitting on the stool on their kitchen counter.

 

“What you doing?”

 

Sana asks as she sees their whole kitchen like a tornado just struck it, a tornado name Chaeyoung.

 

“I’m making some sweets for Mina, we need food while were doing it.”

 

Omo! Now they’re using props?

 

“Food? Why would you need food?”

 

“Unnie… don’t you get tired and hungry after doing it so much?”

 

Chaeyoung was talking about fruit ninja, Sana obviously wasn’t…

 

“Look… Chaeyoung we need to talk.”

 

“About what?”

 

Sana stops her sister from stirring the batter.

 

“About stuff…” Sana clears , mutters a silent prayer and looks at Chaeyoung. She didn’t want to do this, but now she has no choice… it’s time to give her sister, the dreaded talk.

 

Her sister only ends up blinking cutely at her.

 

“Chaeng, when two people are in love, they often use their hearts instead of their minds.”

 

“Agreee… agree…” Chaeyoung nods.

 

“So, sometimes they do things that they don’t think about, just because at that very moment it just feels right.”

 

“Ok?”

 

Chaeyoung is confused to where her sister is going with this conversation.

 

“So, again, when two people are in love, they do things, physical things.”

 

Physical? Oh now Chaeyoung gets it… her sister is talking about kissing. It’s a good and weird thing that Sana want to demonstrate it with the use of two ladles.

 

“For example… this is You and Mina…”

 

“Kekekeke...” Chaeyoung laughs amusedly like a child watching cartoons… “The brown one is Mina…”

 

“Yes...” Sana clears “Hey Chaeng…” Sana tries to talk in Mina’s deadpan voice “You want to ummm… go somewhere and ahhh… do things?”

 

Chaeyoung watch seriously…

 

“What things?” Sana starts to talk in her Chaeyoung voice. 

 

“I’ll show you…” Sana talk in her Mina voice…

 

Sana then bump the two ladles together as if they're kissing, confusing the innocent minded Chaeyoung…

 

“Are you getting hot in here?” Sana continues in her cold Myoui Mina voice “Do you want me to take off your clothes?!”

 

“Wait…” Chaeyoung stops her unnie “I’m confuse, they’re ladles, they don’t have clothes.”

 

DERP. Why does her sister have to be so innocent?

 

“Were just pretending, remember?”

 

“Omo!” Chaeyoung gasps “Are they going to make babies?!”

 

YES!” Sana could sing hallelujah now that her sister got it… “Yes… they’re going to do that…”

 

“KYAAAAHHH!!!”

 

Sana watch in confusion as her sister got up and run to the drawer taking out spoons and little spoons.

 

“What are you doing?” Sana asks as Chaeyoung puts two spoons and a little spoon beside the ladles.

 

“These are their kids…”

 

Chaeyoung is too innocent sometimes, and now she thinks her sister is playing with her.

 

“And this is their baby…” Chaeyoung raised up the little spoon.

 

Sana have wanted to argue back, wanting to shake some sense into her sister, maybe even shout at her too… Scream something that love isn’t enough,

 

Chaeyoung… you have to think too…

 

But then she looks at her sister, and people might argue that she was just being too overprotective. But what do you do? When you see your sister heartbroken from loving too much, Would telling her I told you so at the end of it all helps? Or would you just end up regretting that you didn’t do what you have to do?

 

Maybe that’s what Chaeyoung needs to see things her way, instead of shoving ideals about love in her face? Because as far as Sana knows, looks like Chaeyoung knows more about it than her.

*

“Mirror, mirror on the wall who’s the fairest one of all?”

 

“It sure ain’t you, beyotch.”

 

“Misssssssss!!!!” Nayeon says in a whiny tone, like a kindergarten tattle telling “Jeongyeon is being mean. I mean the mirror is not following the script…”

 

“Well I’m trying to add more flavor to my character, you know more soul… instead of the monotone.”

 

The teacher is trying to referee the two bickering leading stars…

 

Sana can’t even focus on the rehearsals. It was nearing Valentines and instead of worrying about the matters of her heart, she ends up worrying about Chaeyoung…

 

She gazes over Mina’s direction. The prince is just sitting in the corner, reading her lines. And Sana just have to admit that there is something just so yummy about Myoui Mina, even if she’s just sitting there reading, it was like watching a CF…

 

Sana shakes those thoughts out of her head and took a deep breath. She wasn’t going to be intimidated by Myoui Mina’s awesomeness, she’s going to talk to the girl.

 

“So, Sana…”

 

Sana was so caught up with Chaeyoung’s situation that she forgot that Dahyun has been badgering her like this.

 

“Isnt Tzuyu so amazing?”

 

Sana looks up and sees Tzuyu just sleeping while standing up by the stage.

 

“Ahhh yeah I guess.”

 

“She’s playing her part so well… Nobody can play the role of sleepy as good as her.”

 

“I guess…”

 

“By the way, are you game about it?”

 

“About what?”

 

“Me asking Tzuyu out on valentines?”

 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Sana want to answer but it’s a good thing she has self control and nods. That very second, she couldn’t figure out why an easy task like nodding felt so hard to do.

 

“Ummmm yeah… I guess…”

 

“KYAAAAHHH!!!” Dahyun bounce excitedly while clapping “You know what I’m going to do? I’m going to serenade her and you’re going to help me.”

 

“Serenade her?”

 

“Yes… I mean… isn’t that romantic? Isn’t that what every girl wants?”

 

Sana just shrugs.

 

“What does that have to do with me?”

 

“You’re going to serenade her…”

 

“ME?!”

 

“Yes… since you have this cute voice, you should do it…”

 

Sana felt like she was suffocating at the moment, she stood up and tries to walk away from Dahyun.

 

“Why don’t you do it?”

 

“Well… here’s the plan as you sing, I will come from behind carrying some flowers and give it to her while I ask her… romantic right?”

 

“We’ll talk later, Dahyun… excuse me…”

 

Sana thought a walk would help but unfortunately it didn’t. She needs to think of others things and Myoui Mina was her diversion.

 

“Hey…”

 

“Hey”

 

Wow… Sana thought, even the way Mina says hi sounds so cool.

 

“Ahem… ahem… I know who you are, this hotshot most popular girl in school, but it doesn’t mean I’m going to let you take advantage of my dongsaeng like that…”

 

“What do you mean?” Mina didn’t even seem unphased of Sana’s presumed threats.

 

“What you and Chaeyoung did? During your sleepover.”

 

“I don’t know why you’re so upset about it…”

 

“Of course I’m upset! How can you just take advantage of her like that?”

 

Mina thought Sana is talking about her beating Chaeyoung in fruit ninja, Sana think she made her point clear bout talking about .

 

“I didn’t take advantage of her, in fact she was the one who taught me things.”

 

“What?” Sana gasps, and here she was thinking that she have shielded Chaeyoung from the byunness of the world. “That can’t be…”

 

“Yes, she did… she even showed me some videos on the internet… and it helped… After that, I kept beating her…”

 

Omo! Sana covers as Mina mentioned the word beating. What does that mean? That her sister is into the 50 shades of grey kind of stuff?

 

“But she keeps beating me too.”

 

Sana covers her ears shaking her head as she couldn’t take anymore of this.

 

“She wouldn’t do that.”

 

“She told me you’re even the one who introduced it to her.” Mina says in a matter of factly.

 

“HU-WHAT?!”

 

“Yes… she told me you’re like the biggest addict.”

 

“I’am not!” Sana stomps her feet, turning around to hide her embarrassment. “I’ll go ahead…” She walks away, not wanting to talk about this anymore.

 

“Sana…”

 

Sana turns around and saw that she is head to head to Mina.

 

“What is it?”

 

“I understand how you feel, I have a kid sister too… But ummm… I guess we just have to realize our kid sisters are not babies anymore, they’re grown up, and they’re going to fall in love, and they’re going to get hurt and there is only so much we can do.”

 

Sana nods painfully…

 

“I just want to tell you this, before anybody else… even before Chaeyoung even knew…”

 

“W-what is it?”

 

Mina took a deep breath, her gaze going everywhere and for awhile there, Sana thought that Mina, the cool Myoui Mina looks flustered and nervous.

 

“I think I’m beginning to like your sister more than I thought I would…”

 

*

 

Mina tries not to go berserk as she sees Momo acting like a demure princess as she prepares for her role. Right now Momo is twirling around, singing while flapping her arms like a butterfly.

 

“See Minari…see?!” Nayeon demanded “That’s the girl you’re going to kiss…”

 

Mina just gulps…

 

“Momo would fit better as the huntsman… But me… I’m like a girl out of a fairy tale… you know… just like Tzuyu is like the real life version of Sleeping beauty…”

 

The two turns to Tzuyu who’s sleeping on Snow white’s pretend glass coffin.

 

“Ok… now it’s time to rehearse the kiss… Ummm… Ms. Chou, you need to get up.”

 

Their teacher nudges Tzuyu and Tzuyu got up and started growling…

 

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

 

“ok… ok… calm down, Ms. Chou… it’s time to go practice…”

 

“Wow… she can be both sleepy and Grumpy.”

 

Tzuyu gets off the coffin… and Momo plops down…

 

“Hey. This is comfortable…” Momo starts to snore…

 

And Mina gulps once again just thinking of kissing, even though it was fake,

 

“Come on Minari, give it to me,” Momo puckers her lips, ready to kiss Mina with her duckface.

 

“Ummm… ahhh… well… ahhhh…” Mina says in hesitation…

 

“You know like GG said… Ahhhhhh…a nae wahngjanim! eonje i momeul kuhareo wah jushil tenkayo?

Now with Momo singing IGAB, that song will never be the same for Mina.

 

“Ah, my prince! When are you gonna come save me? So, come save me, prince Minari… save me with your kiss…”

 

Momo puckers her lips once more…

 

“Ummm… “ Mina raises her hand , ready to excuse herself “Sorry I need a break.”

 

*

 

After everybody left the theatre, Myoui Mina was still there, reading her script, practicing her role, listening to her voice out loud.

 

“HI!!!”

 

Mina looks over to the door and sees Chaeyoung with a bright smile, carrying a picnic basket with her.

 

“Hmmm… I haven’t seen you around.”

 

Chaeyoung puts the picnic basket on the stage, before swinging her legs to climb up, struggling to get into the stage.

 

“There’s a stairs over there you know.” Mina points to the stairs at the sides of the stage.

 

“Well… I would like to climb on your window like Romeo, but for now I’ll just improvise… I’ll be your Chaengmeo.”

 

Mina just rolls her eyes but is gushing deep inside. “Fine…”

 

Chaeyoung took out a strawberry blanket and spread it on the stage and starts taking out food from the basket…

 

“Come sit down, sit down…”

 

Chaeyoung nudges Mina to sit down with her.

 

“What’s all this?”

 

“It’s our pre valentines date…”

 

“Valentines date?”

 

“Kekekeke… I ambush you… and u can’t say no now… kekekekekeke.” Chaeyoung laughs so amusingly…

 

“I guess I have no choice.” Mina gazes down to hide her smile.

 

“By the way I made you this.”

 

Chaeyoung hands Mina a heart shape Tupperware.

 

“What is this?”

 

Mina tries not to sound too obvious that she couldn’t figure out what Chaeyoung just made her.

 

“I call it a conut…” Chaeyoung says proudly.

 

“A conut?”

 

“Yes. A cookie that’s a donut, so it’s a conut…” Then Chaeyoung thought of something “Or maybe I should call it a dookie…”

 

“A dookie?”

 

“Yes half donut half cookie… A dookie…”

 

“How did you even make this ummm… dookie?”

 

“Well I use cookie dough instead of batter and then shape it into a donut… try it…”

 

Mina took a deep sigh before picking one up, taking a bite of the dookie. It turn out better than it look, soft and gooey with the chocolate just oozing out of every bite.

 

“Mmmm… this is pretty good.”

 

Chaeyoung starts clapping in excitement, her eyes disappearing into a smile.

 

“So, what you been up to these days?”

 

“you know, Minari…” Chaeyoung starts giggling… “You know… I… kekekekeke…”

 

Mina lowers her conut/dookie, narrowing her eyes at Chaeyoung who can’t stop giggling…

 

“I know how to speak eskimo… Do you want to hear it?”

 

“You do?”

 

Sometimes Mina didn’t even know where Chaeyoung just comes up with topics to talk about…

 

“Yes… it’s like… Brrrrrrrrr…. Brrrrrrrrr…. Brrrrrrrr? Brrrrrr! BRRRRRRR!  BRR… BRRR… BRR…BRRR”

 

Chaeyoung starts talking like she’s in a conversation, while acting like she’s shivering and as stupid as Chaeyoung look, Mina couldn’t help but chuckle at it.

 

“What was that?”

 

“That’s how they speak to each other.”

 

“Really? With Brrrr?”

 

“Yes…” Chaeyoung nods “Cause they’re always cold.”

 

“Come here.” Mina motions Chaeyoung to come closer with her finger but Chaeyoung falls back, scared that Mina might hit her.

 

“Why?”

 

“Just come…”

 

Chaeyoung very hesitantly scoots closer to Mina.

 

“Why?”

 

And Mina pinches the tip of the cute pretend eskimo's nose.

 

“Because you’re so cute…”

 

Chaeyoung tries to hide her blush and tries to recover by talking about Mina.

 

“How’s your rehearsals going?”

 

“Good… Me and Momo still have to rehearse our kissing part.”

 

Chaeyoung instantly frowns at the thought of Mina kissing somebody…

 

“Chaeyoung?”

 

Chaeyoung huffs, crossing her arms while turning away.

 

“Are you upset?”

 

Chaeyoung shakes her head and still obviously upset, since she won’t look at Mina.

 

“It’s Momo…”

 

“Still… Hmmmp.”

 

“What do you think we should do about it?”

 

“You should practice…”

 

“With who?”

 

Chaeyoung points to herself, like a child nominating herself…

 

“With who?”

 

“With meeeee…” Chaeyoung stresses it out…

 

“Well… you have to lay down and I have to kiss you…”

 

Chaeyoung didn’t waste a millisecond and quickly lay flat on the floor, and Mina just watch helplessly.

 

“Mina?”

 

“Hmmm?”

 

“Am I like officially your girlfriend now?”

 

“Should you be?”

 

“I should…”

 

Mina leans closer, their lips just a few inches apart.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because to everyone in this school, Myoui Mina might be their prince, but for me, you will always be my princess…”

 

Mina smiles at Chaeyoung…

 

“I will be the one who’s going to protect you and take care of you. You will forever be my princess…”

 

“Then, I guess that makes you my prince?”

 

“Oh yes…”

 

Mina smiles once again, leaning closer to lay her lips on Chaeyoung.

 

And as they kiss softly, Mina couldn’t help but smile. Yes, she was so used playing everyone’s prince but Mina never know, until Chaeyoung showed her, just how lovely it feels to be a princess in her very own fairy tale.