Chapter 6

I Don't Know

 

 

A/N: No SaTzu in this chapter...

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

CRASH!!!!

 

 “Chaeng… what did you break this time?”

 

There was an exasperated tone in Sana’s voice as she asks. But before Chaeyoung could even reply, Sana found out the answer right there, broken on the floor is Chaeyoung’s pink piggy bank. It’s not a piggy bank anymore.

 

“What happened here?” Sana asks as she sees her sister trying to count money.

 

Chaeyoung looks up and flashes Sana the world’s biggest grin.. Chaeyoung’s face was the picture of happiness…

 

 “Me and MY” Chaeyoung emphasize the word by pointing to herself “girlfriend are going on our first date…”

 

“And you’re paying for it?”

 

“Yes… since I invited her.”

 

“Well… what do you have in mind?”

 

Chaeyoung runs to her tiger bag and rummage inside before pulling out excitedly her strawberry notebook. She leafs through a couple of pages until she found what she was looking for.

 

Ahem… ahem… she clears as if she was ready to recite a poem in class…

 

“First I will pick up Mina in a horse carriage…”

 

“Wait?” Sana quickly stop her sister right there. “A horse carriage?”

 

“Yes…you know a carriage that has a horse…”

 

Chaeyoung sure knows how to explain words well.

 

“I know what a horse carriage means. But c’mon, why not just use a car?”

 

This time it was Chaeyoung who let out an exasperated sigh as she reasons out with her sister.

 

“Unnir… Did the fairy Godmother turn the pumpkin into a mercedes benz?”

 

“Well… no… but I don’t think there were cars during those days…”

 

“If she’s a fairy, doesn’t she have the magic powers to make cars? Hmmm? Hmmm?” Chaeyoung taunts her sister cutely.

 

Sana immediately curse herself when she finds herself arguing back against her sister’s skewed logic.

 

“Fine… fine… you want a horse carriage, then where are you going to go?”

 

 “Then, I will take her to the park, where we can have a picnic under the stars…”

 

Chaeyoung was sighing already just thinking of how beautiful her princess would look underneath the sparkling sky.

 

“And then, I will take her hand and ask her to dance with me…”

 

“Where? in the club?”

 

“No… no…” Chaeyoung shakes her head in horror… “I don’t like people lusting over my girl…” Her face scrunch up in an adorable frown. “But instead I will bring my IPOD and we will dance under the stars.”

 

“Look, Chaeng… I don’t want to burst your bubble here…”

 

Chaeyoung looks at her with a blank expression on her face.

 

“I don’t have a bubble…” But then Chaeyoung points as she thought of something “I do have a balloon…”

 

“No…no…no” Sana shakes her head once again “I meant… I don’t want to rain on your…” Sana stops when she realizes her sister might take her examples too literally, she decided to slow it down.

 

“I don’t want to be so negative, Chaeng but maybe you need to tone it down a bit. You know start slow, like take her out for coffee, maybe? Or movies?”

 

Chaeyoung gives her unnie an eeehhh look. She was disappointed of how she was super duper romantic and her unnie is so bland and un romantic…

 

“What’s wrong with my plans?”

 

“Well… it’s too…” Sana starts waving her arms, wishing to find the right words or at least actions to express what she’s trying to say. “You know… it’s too much?”

 

“But isn’t that we girls want? Someone to make us feel like were princesses in our own fairy tales?”

 

Sana hated that her sister had a point.

 

“Ok… ok…” Sana raises her hands in defeat. “If that’s what you think, it’s up to you…”

 

Sana was about to step out of the room, but not without leaving a piece of advice to her sister.

 

“But you know what makes it more romantic, Chaeng?”

 

“What?”

 

The smile in Sana’s lips weren’t wide, but it was still the picture of happiness.

 

“It’s the person you’re with…”

 

“Oh by the way… here…” Sana says excitedly, showing something in her phone to Chaeyoung.

 

“Oh you got a picture of Tzuyu?”

 

“It’s not a picture, it’s a GIF… she just moves too slow, it looks like a picture…”

 

“Oh…”

 

And the two stared at the phone, waiting for the TzuyuGIF to move…

 

***

 

Omo! Here they are…

 

Talks and whispers were suddenly flooding the school gym as the dubbed flower four in their school walks in through the double doors. Yes, if their school was the k drama boys over flowers then Mina and her crew are the flower four.

 

There was Momo and Jeongyeon, the two more carefree ones laughing behind the other two. Nayeon was ahead of them a bit, pre occupied with her own face…

 

And of course walking at the very front, the school’s own version of Lee Minho is Myoui Mina. But Mina runs their school, without the bullying part, but the same amount of respect and admiration.

 

“I wonder who their Goo Hye Sun is…”

 

One college girl whispers to her perky friend.

 

“I have been hearing stuff, that Mina sunbaenim is involved with a freshmen…”

 

“A freshmen?” The girl was both shock and at awe at what she just heard. A freshmen? Myoui Mina could have anybody she likes and she would end up with just a freshmen?

 

“Who?”

 

*

 

Son Chaeyoung was the type to march to her own music, even in her PE class. So, while everyone goes right, she goes left, when everyone spread their arms, she raises her up.

 

Their PE teacher used to reprimand her about it. But realizing that there was no used arguing, she stops. So, she ignores Chaeyoung, letting the girl do what she wants.

 

*

 

Mina was walking on the bleachers and she knows everyone’s attention in the gym is at her, and she hated it. She hated being in everyone’s radar, despises being put under the microscope but she accepted that it all comes with her status. That’s why she always have the cold façade, hoping that it will put a boundaries between her private life and the people trying to pry on it.

 

She tried to walk away from everyone’s attention’s as swiftly as possible, But the moment she had the the smol girl in her line of sight, her steps slowed down. Mina turns around, lips slowly forming into a soft grin as she watch in amusement how Chaeyoung was in her class. The choding has the moves, she just do it at her own pace.

 

And it amazes Mina sometimes how Chaeyoung just seem so carefree of it all, like it doesn’t matter to her how people sees her as. Mina could blame it on the immaturity maybe, but part of her is jealous that Chaeyoung have that guts.

 

But it’s as if Chaeyoung has a special sensor for her y bear, because she immediately looks up and saw Mina right there.

 

Mina quickly stiffen up and look away, when Chaeyoung spotted her looking. Getting caught watching Chaeyoung? This was embarrassing for her. But her eyes slowly gaze back to Chaeyoung, slowly that Chaeyoung won’t catch her once again.

 

But when she looks back…

 

“MINA SARANGHAE!!!”

 

Chaeyoung squeals out, her arms forming a huge heart…

 

Mina stiffen once more, heat rising to her face as she feels a blush forming. From behind she could hear her friends snickering amusedly in her expense.

 

“Hush…” she grumbles before looking away from the choding.

 

Jeongyeon looks down and realizes that her plan are all falling in the right place, just two more steps and she knew this step is going to be the critical one. It will either make or break them… but she have to take the risk.

 

Hmmm…

 

Plan: Jealousy is the best policy.

 

*

 

 

“Ok… ok… nice work everybody…”

 

Their teacher applauds her students…

 

“I have an announcement to make due to some unfortunate circumstances, our performance would have to be moved this Friday…”

 

“Hu-what?!”

 

One person sure wasn’t pleased with that…

 

“You have a problem with that, Chaeyoung?”

 

Chaeyoung wriggle herself from the back of the crowd trying to get closer up the front.

 

“Ummm this Friday?”

 

“Yes… this Friday…”

 

“B-but…” Chaeyoung look so defeated. “I have a date…”

 

“Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh…”

 

Her classmates hoots teasingly while Chaeyoung bats her lashes like a bashful doe…

 

“Why don’t you invite your date to the competition?”

 

Omo! I will be nervous if my y bear would be watching me… I wonder if she would want to go?

 

*

Nowadays, Hirai Momo’s head is caught in the clouds… well, not because she’s so tall that her neck get stuck in it, but because as she proudly says…

 

Hirai Momo now has a crush…

 

Now everytime somebody sees her she has that goofy grin in her face and her eyes are like hearts popping out of her sockets.

 

“Unnie! Momo unnie!!!”

 

Momo landed back on Earth and saw Chaeyoung waving her hand on her face…

 

“Oh yoh! hey Chaeng…”

 

“So yeah unnie… you think Mina would be all mad at me if I move our date to another day?”

 

Momo looks up and couldn’t help but awww at how worried those pair of round eyes looks.

 

“Well… I don’t think-“

 

“Of course she would!!!”

 

Jeongyeon plops in between the conversation of the two girls…

 

“Mina is the busiest person in this school! Heck! She’s the busiest girl in this world! Her whole day is on a tight schedule, so one messed up plan, her whole day gets messed up…”

 

“Omo…” Chaeyoung turns away, trying to hide her teary eyes…

 

Momo, the more compassionate one, glares at Jeongyeon before patting Chaeyoung’s heaving back.

 

“Hey… it will be okay… I’ll talk to Mina about it, I’m sure she doesn’t mind… or you could take her out after your performance, how’s that?”

 

Chaeyoung just nodded feebly, wiping her eyes with her sleeve.

 

“Thank you unnie…” Chaeyoung bows down so low…

 

“You know what you need to do, Chaeng?”

 

“What?”

 

“Invite Mina to your presentation…”

 

A bit of hope starts to glimmer in Chaeyoung’s eyes…

 

“That’s like the perfect way to show her that you’re not a lil kid anymore… that you’re a grown up…”

 

“Ummm… but I think I will be nervous if she’s there…” Chaeyoung blushes…

 

“Well…” Jeongyeon pats Chaeyoung on the shoulder “It won’t be easy, but Mina is worth it, right?”

 

Chaeyoung blinks her eyes thoughtfully at Jeongyeon.

 

“Yes! Yes she is… if she’s watching that means I have to try much harder…”

 

“Yup! There you go!”

 

Chaeyoung nodded, putting her gameface on like she’s ready for a battle.

 

“I have to go and practice!!! Thanks unnie!” Chaeyoung does her breakable bow again before running off…

 

“So, ummm… by the way are you going to help me out with my crush?”

 

“Of course I will! What are buddies for? But before that I have to assess how you act around him… then, well see how we can work you two out together…”

 

Momo cackled confidently…

 

“I have my own way of charming men, Momo style… OMO!”

 

Momo suddenly look like she was about to have a seizure soon…

 

“What? Oh him… Calm down… Momo…”

 

“I should…”

 

“Ok… then go approach him…”

 

“What?” Momo looks so appalled “Why would I do that?!”

 

“So, I’ll know… now go!” Jeongyeon shoves Momo to her chocolate abs man. But Momo remains frozen in her spot, in fact, she clung to Jeongyeon like a pre schooler clinging to her mother on the first day of school.

 

“Can’t I just watch from here and admire him from afar?”

 

“don’t be a chicken! C’mon what were you planning to do when you see him?”

 

“I googled some pick up lines…”

 

Jeongyeon raised her brow. “Pick up lines? Sheesshhh… Momo… but hey… we could use to your advantage, Guys like funny girls so I need you to use your lamest pick up lines and you know it’s all about delivery Momo… So, you have to say it in a both teasing yet flirty manner… ok, now go…”

 

“You won’t leave me, right?”

 

“No… I’ll just be right here…”

 

“Ok… ok…” Momo inhales sharply and began rehearsing her pick up lines as she walks closer to him. “Ummm heeeeeyyy…”

 

“Oh…” He raised up his thick brow “How you doing Momo?”

 

“Hey… ummm… Boy, you must be a charmander…”

 

“what?”

 

“Because your tail is on fire…”

 

Jeongyeon didn’t wait for a reply and speeds out of there before she’s even connected to the dork that is Momo.

 

*

 

“Are you looking for somebody, Mina-shii?”

 

“What?”

 

Mina didn’t realize she was being obvious. She just stepped out of a student council meeting, and felt a bit surprised maybe that Chaeyoung wasn’t there to take her home.

 

“Ummm… no, I’m not…”

 

Mina unconsciously checks her phone…

 

From: Baby Monkey

Hey my y bear,  Sorry I can’t walk u home today. I got stuff to do. I’ll visit u later, can I? Can I? Hmmm? Hmmm?

 

Mina just deleted the message…

 

 

“I’ll see you later…”

 

Mina stuffs her phone back in her pocket then walks ahead. Before, she enjoys the solitude but after being with Chaeyoung for quite some time, she realizes it’s a lonely feeling.

 

*

 

“Thanks for helping me practice Sakura…” Chaeyoung bows politely as she walks Sakura to her home.

 

“Anytime Chaeng… you’ll be alright on Friday.”

 

“I’m not usually like this, but I feel so nervous.”

 

“You’re a good dancer…” Sakura pats Chaeyoung on the shoulder. “I’m sure unnie would love to see you…”

 

“WEEEEEEEE” Chaeyoung squeals excitedly, jumping on Sakura in happiness.

 

*

 

Meanwhile that sight of Chaeyoung embracing Sakura didn’t feel any good for Mina.

 

She ends up shutting her blinds hard.

 

She slouches on her seat, annoyed with what she saw.

 

She starts browsing through her books, but is still too annoyed to study.

 

A very annoyed Myoui Mina just got more irritated at the fact that she didn’t know how she ended up with this feeling.

 

Tok. Tok. Tok.

 

“What?!”

 

Sakura opens the door and slowly peeps in, from the sound of her unnie’s reply its obvious she was pissed off over something.

 

“Chaeyoung wants me to give you this.”

 

Mina snorted…

 

“Just put it there…”

 

“Ok…” Sakura knows better than to mess with a pissed off Myoui Mina and put it on her sister’s bed.

 

As soon as the door closes, Mina races to her bed and grabs the heart shape card.

 

Dear y Bear,

 

Would you like to go to my performance on Friday?

 

  1. Yes
  2. A
  3. A and B

 

The frown in Mina’s face quickly disappeared turning into a smile, that she hadn’t wear for hours… until now…

 

The same person who made her frown, is the same one who makes her smile so effortlessly…

 

*

 

Momo could punch Nayeon’s face for laughing at her embarrassing ordeal. The girls are in the gym, soon to be spectators of Chaeyoung’s performance.

 

“Yeah, right like you can do better?”

 

“Of course… I can…”

 

“Oh yeah…” Momo munches loudly on her popcorn. “What pick up line are you going to use?”

 

“Oh please… I’m Nayeon Im… I don’t need a pick up line… my face is my pick up line…”

 

While NaMo are caught up with their little quarrel, Jeongyeon decides to work on Mina. Mina with her usual constipated look and arms cross across her chest.

 

“Aren’t you excited to see Chaeyoung dance?”

 

Mina just shrugs, pretending like she didn’t care. But the second Chaeyoung’s class walks on stage, Mina loosen up a bit, craning her neck to take a glance of the smol girl… Jeongyeon notices it, but decides not to say anything. She knew it would be more effective if Mina figure it out for herself.

 

“Where is she?” That question came out louder than Mina would have preferred.

 

“Why is Chaeyoung exposing too much of her abs?” Mina tries to sound authoritative but instead she ended up sounding like a whiny girlfriend…

 

 But then Mina saw her and she felt her inside just turns into a mush. Chaeyoung was there with her hair down, a bit of make up that accentuated her beauty more and her abs, so that’s what’s underneath all those school uniform.

 

Jeongyeon starts smirking to herself, if she could pat herself for a job well done, she would already have.

 

Mina clears , wondering if Chaeyoung have always look this pretty or there was something wrong with the lighting.

 

 But there is obviously something wrong with Chaeyoung. She doesn’t seem so bouncy and even looks like she’s in pain as she tried to dance.

 

*

 

“Chaeng?”

 

“Sakura?”

 

“Are you sure you want to do this? I mean if you ask Ms. Hoang I think she can let you pass since you just hurt your ankle.”

 

Chaeyoung turns to look at her bummed foot…

 

“I just tightened up the bandage… I could last for 5 minutes I think…”

 

Chaeyoung smiles hopefully at Sakura… Then, looks up, smiling as she saw Mina.

 

“Ok… I can do this… Sakura fighting!” Chaeyoung pumps her fist.

 

*

 

Ayo GG!

 

The whole crowd cheers as Chaeyoung’s class starts to perform. Mina expected to see troll Chaeyoung, the girl who likes to dance on her own pace. But right now, she's the one who’s stealing everyone’s attention, the one who’s shining while the rest are behind her like shadows.

 

 

And Mina gulps a huge lump on when Chaeyoung starts doing her cobra dance. The sensual yet playful way Chaeyoung’s body just sway to every beat of the music just caught Mina.

 

“You ok, Minari?”

 

“Ummm… ahhh…” she clears before turning away. “Yes…”

 

Mina’s eyes starts to narrow as she sees something that doesn’t appeal her again. Jeongyeon notice it and decided to make a profit out of it.

 

“Oh Look Minari!” Jeongyeon turns Mina making sure that she face Chaeyoung who’s talking to what looks like some fan girls… “Awww… that’s so cute… Chaeyoung have fans…”

 

“Whatever.” Mina snaps back before getting up.

 

*

 

“Where is Chaeyoung?”

 

Instead of replying everyone in Chaeyoung’s class froze as the leader of their school, the super awesome Myoui Mina asks them.

 

“T-there… Sunbaenim…”

 

All the girls points to the corner of the backstage…

 

“Thank you…” Mina says quietly and walks to the back.

 

*

 

“Chaeyoung?”

 

Even if Sakura was her sister, Mina didn’t like that somebody else was tending to Chaeyoung other than her.

 

“MINA!!!!” Chaeyoung wants to jump up but cringes and sat back down again…

 

“What happen?”

 

“She twist her ankle while we were rehearsing… I’m going to…”

 

“No… I’ll do it…” Mina took the ice pack from Sakura’s hand and kneels down in front of Chaeyoung.

 

“Ok… I’ll go ahead… see you later…” Sakura walks ahead…

 

“Seriously Chaeyoung? Dancing even with your bummed foot?” Mina reprimanded…

 

Chaeyoung turns her gaze down, she was hoping she have impressed Mina but obviously Mina doesn’t seem to be.

 

“I’m sorry…” Chaeyoung mumbles in apology.

 

And it made Mina stop and think a bit. Why was she so hard on the girl?

 

“You have nothing to be sorry about…” Mina says “I’m just worried… I don’t like you getting hurt…”

 

*

 

“I’m sorry we have to spend our first date on the clinic, Mina.”

 

The two girls have waiting in the clinic for almost an hour but Chaeyoung has not been tended to yet.

 

“I could call Sana unnie… you don’t have to-“

 

But Chaeyoung's words trailed away, as she was suddenly speechless when Mina wraps her hand around her

 

“I want to…” Mina turns her head to Chaeyoung. “I want to be here with you.”

 

Chaeyoung turns her gaze to their hands, playfully linking it together.

 

“I have more fun with you too…”

 

Mina tries to still her face, hoping a smile won’t break.

 

“You and me, Mina…”

 

Mina turns to Chaeyoung…

 

“What?”

 

“You and me, Were my OTP…”

 

Mina this time couldn’t contain her chuckle and laughs at Chaeyoung’s cheesiness. She playfully slaps Chaeyoung on the shoulder.

 

“You’re so cheesy you know…”

 

“Let’s just play a game while we wait, Mina…”

 

Mina usually doesn’t want to play, but Chaeyoung always seems to have a way to make Mina do the opposite.

 

“What game would you like?”

 

“I will say something then you guess what song it is…”

 

“What’s the price?”

 

Chaeyoung gives Mina her troll face.

 

“I’m going to kiiiiiiiiiissssss you…”

 

Mina let out a squeal, shoving Chaeyoung away.  And that have been their private game, Chaeyoung trying to move closer and Mina playfully shoving her away.

 

*

 

“I’m taking you home today.”

 

“What?”

 

Chaeyoung sounded both shock and excited at the same time…

 

“You’re hurt.” Mina calmly pointed it out.

 

“B-but… who’s going to protect you when you go home?”

 

Mina have to look away to hide her amused smile as she sees Chaeyoung’s face so innocent yet determined.

 

“I can protect myself…”

 

“No…” Chaeyoung shakes her head.

 

“Don’t be stubborn… Chaeyoung…”

 

“Nooo…” Chaeyoung shakes her head more. She’s not willing to let her y bear out there in the big, bad world…

 

“Chaeyoung…” Mina said in an I’m older you follow me tone.

 

“Mina unniieee…” Chaeyoung whined back in an I’m younger you follow me.

 

“Chaeyoung!”

 

“Mina unnie!”

 

“Chaeyoung!” Mina stomps her foot.

 

“Mina unnie!” Chaeyoung stomps her good foot.

 

Both were stubborn and both weren't willing to give in.

 

*

 

“Kekekekekeke…”

 

“Don’t laugh… I’m mad at you…”

 

Mina ultimately lost and now has a baby monkey walking her home.

 

“That’s okay I’ll win your heart…”

 

“Whatever…” Mina rolls her eyes…

 

The gate to Mina’s house flew open and there was her parents smiling goofily at them.

 

“Hey mommy! Daddy!”

 

“Chaeng!!!” They said happily, even ignoring their own daughter right there. “What happen to you?”

 

“It’s okay… my boo, my jagiya Mina took me to the clinic…”

 

Chaeyoung gives Mina a side hug and Mina elbows the kid quick in the gut.

 

“Don’t hug me…”

 

“Wait… don’t tell me you’re going home in your bum foot?” Mina’s mom said worriedly

 

“Yes… but I’ll be okay…”

 

“No! No! No!” Mina’s dad said in a protective tone “It’s not safe…”

 

“I know!” Mina’s mom says happily “Why don’t you sleep over for tonight?”

 

“WHAT?!” Mina says in shock.

 

“WHAT?!” Chaeyoung says in excitement.

 

Her mind churning thoughts of her and Mina in the same house, same room and maybe even the same…

 

OMO… Chaeyoung starts giggling, hopping on her good foot.

 

“Can I sleep in Mina’s room?”

 

“OF COURSE!”

 

“What the heck?!”  Mina could feel a vein in her forehead pulsating. She wouldn’t even be surprise if her head just blows out of her neck.

 

“Well… darling… if you don’t want to… Chaeyoung could sleep in Sakura’s room.”

 

“No…” Mina was quick to object “She’ll sleep in my room…”

 

Mina’s parents share a teasing look before agreeing…

 

“Someone’s jelly, don’t you think?”

 

Mina narrows her eyes and walks ahead of everyone.

 

Mina didn’t know how all of this could just happen. But nowadays when it comes to Chaeyoung what does she know anyway?