Chapter 11

I Don't Know

 

 

Sana was close to suffocating herself with her dookong that night. It was close to midnight, way pass her bedtime, but her sister’s giggles and loud gasping is keeping her awake at the wee hours.

 

 

***

 

 

Sana didn’t bother to knock or wait for an invitation. She storms in the strawberry addict’s room, making sure her sister KNOWS she meant business. She caught her kid sister wrap like a big baby in a Strawberry blanket, giggling like an idiot in front of laptop.

 

“Chaeyoung… turn off your laptop and go to sleep.”

 

 “B-but… but… Onee-chan...”

 

Sana’s eyes narrowed to slits. Her sister is watching too much anime, her brain is being reduced to a pulp and starting to talk like one of those moe moe Kyun girls.

 

“No buts! You have classes tomorrow. You can’t skip it just cause you didn’t get any sleep.”

 

“But it’s getting good! The storyline reminds me so much of me and my Minaaa.”

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes sparkle at the simple thought of her lovey. Unfortunately, her sister was too sleepy and annoyed to spaz along with her.

 

“NO! And that’s final!”

 

Chaeyoung was ready to retaliate, but she haven’t even said a word and her unnie already slams the door on her.

 

At 2:46 A.M

 

Sana could still hear the giggles…

 

And she’s putting an end to all this giggling…

 

She slowly turns the doorknob to Chaeyoung’s room, peeking in slowly and what do you know? Chaeyoung was still in front of her laptop.

 

“GO TO SLEEEEEEPPPPPP!!!!!”

 

Chaeyoung squealed loudly in shock after getting caught red handed. The smart girl that she is, hurriedly scramble underneath the sheets and put on the sleeping act show.

 

At 4:36 am…

 

Sana wakes up as she hears her sister just screaming.

 

“Kiss… kiss…kiss…”

 

The elder sister just raised her arms in surrender. Her sister would obviously do what she wants to do.

 

***

 

6:18 am

 

Sana does her routine check of her sister’s room. She finally sighs in relief as she sees her sister curled up in bed, clutching tightly to her tiger. Sometimes Sana forgets that no matter how ladylike Chaeyoung looks, she’s still a big baby.

 

She should really shake the other girl to get up, punish her for sleeping late. But she decided to let the girl sleep in a bit, making her more comfortable by tucking her under the covers.

 

Up close, she could hear her sister mumbling Mina’s name happily.

 

Myoui Mina… that girl is both in her sister’s dreams and reality.

 

7: 54

 

“OMO! I’M LATE!!!!”

 

***

 

8: 00

 

“You should ask if they have yoga moves for faces, Minari.”

 

Mina just continued to shut the world around her that morning, including Momo who plops on the seat beside her.

 

 “My frown is my facial exercise. Do you know that it takes more muscles to frown than smile?”

 

Momo just sighs in surrender. It was no use arguing with an already pissed off Mina.

 

“Whatever…”

 

Momo heard her bestfriend mutter that word angrily after Mina checks her phone message.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing…”

 

There was something but Mina doesn’t know who to blame for her bad mood. Is it because she’s naturally not a morning person? Or is it because the thought of not seeing Chaeyoung irritated her?

 

It was kind of funny for Momo, that no matter how hard Mina mask her emotions, she’s quite transparent. Mina’s entire feelings are laid out for everyone to pick on and decipher.

 

“Oh okay…”

 

***

 

11:40

 

“MINA- CHAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!”

 

And among the flood of students flowing out into the hallways, one stood out for Mina. There was Chaeyoung, squeezing and dodging people just to get to her girl.

 

“Good morning girlfriend.”

 

Mina could hear her friends snickering at Chaeyoung’s nickname at her.

 

“We’ll go ahead… see you in the cafeteria, Minari, Chaeyoung.”

 

Her three friends were nice enough to give her some alone time with the choding.

 

Chaeyoung was still struggling to open her eyes that morning. She slept around 5 watching anime. If this was the old her, she would have skipped school and just sleep. But she could guess that was the effect of Mina. Chaeyoung became more aware, if she could put that way, about taking charge of her responsibilities.

 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t pick you up, actually I did went over to your house but you left already.”

 

Mina answers Chaeyoung with her signature growl. Whatever it is something was pissing off Mina that morning.

 

Chaeyoung backs away from the pissed girl. Was it just her dream that Mina said those three words? Or maybe it’s that time of the month for Mina that’s why she’s a meanie now?

 

“Why are you so sleepy?”

 

“I was marathoning this anime series. It was super duper awesome that I couldn’t stop… I fell asleep around 6 and I still have a few more episodes to go…”

 

“So, you stayed up until dawn to watch anime, while you can’t even stay awake for 5 minutes reading your notes?”

 

Chaeyoung shakes her head with the way Myoui Mina thinks. How can she even put in the same category something as boring as school with something as super duper awesome as anime?

 

“Those are two very different things.”

 

“They are. But one of them is more important.”

 

It didn’t take much time for Chaeyoung to know which one was more important.

 

“Hmmm… my happiness is most important.”

 

Mina just ended up heaving a huge sigh at Chaeyoung’s answer. Somehow she knew that was all she could get from the girl.

 

“Are we heading for lunch?”

 

“Yes… we are…”

 

Chaeyoung takes Mina’s arm and let it wrap around her own.

 

“Then, let’s go…”

 

***

 

“More rice please.”

 

Nayeon thought Momo turns into elastagirl as her arms just stretches out to reach for the rice bowl.

 

“Like they say, no rice, no life…”

 

Momo happily digs in to her bowl before realizing it was eerily quiet in their table right now.

 

Nayeon was busy admiring her reflection on the spoon.

 

And Jeongyeon? The evil genius looks pretty normal for once. The girl was quiet, her whole focus was on her phone.

 

“What you reading Jeong?”

 

“I’m reading fanfics.”

 

Momo presses her cheek on the palm of her hand, before letting out a lovelorn sigh.

 

“You know everytime I read a fanfic, it just makes me want to work in a coffeeshop.”

 

Jeongyeon finally tears her eyes away from her phone screen.

 

“I know, right? It’s like everybody works in a coffeeshop, owns a coffeeshop or meet in a coffeeshop.”

 

“I should start working in a coffeeshop.”

 

Nayeon let out a knowing snort…

 

“I feel bad for the place, they will probably go bankrupt with you eating everything.”  Nayeon points out.

 

“Why you lil!!!”

 

“Hiiiiiiiii!!!!!!”

 

Chaeyoung and Mina joins their table at the right time, right before Momo punches Nayeon’s face.

 

“Hey Chaengie!!!”

 

Mina snaps a stern gaze towards Jeongyeon’s direction. She didn’t like the thought of other people calling Chaeyoung, Chaengie when she herself doesn’t call the girl that.

 

“Hi unnirs…”
 

“Hello cutie…”

 

Mina wonders why her friends are purposely trying to get under her skin. But Chaeyoung’s too obsess with Mina to really notice anybody else. She even made sure she pulls out a chair for Mina before joining the table.

 

“Stop that…” Mina hisses at them.

 

“I didn’t get to pack my lunch… So, I’ll just…”

 

Mina could already imagine the calorie loaded, fattening lunch Chaeyoung is going to buy.

 

“No… you’re sharing lunch with me.”

 

“What?”

 

“I got some veggie sandwich here and some carrot sticks.” Mina fixes the lunch and offers the other half of her veggie sandwich to Chaeyoung.

 

Mina seems to be the only one who’s oblivious of how pale Chaeyoung became. The three other girls could see Chaeyoung practically squirming out of her chair, as if she’s ready to fly out of there.

 

“It’s not that bad Chaeyoung… This carrot stick taste like a chip only healthier.”

 

“THAT’S A LIE!!!” Momo screams out “Chaeyoung! Trust me! Mina tried that line with me in kindergarten… and never again… never again will I trust your food comparisons Myoui Mina…”

 

“You are too dramatic sometimes, do you know that?”

 

“It’s okay unnie…” Chaeyoung waves her hand, hoping to settle the tension.  “If Mina says it taste like chips, it probably does…”

 

Chaeyoung without any hesitation bites into the carrot.

 

“Mmmm… crunchy…”

 

The frown in Mina’s face softly turns into a gentle smile.

 

“See? Not all healthy food taste bad.”

 

Chaeyoung smiles proudly, looking like a happy rabbit nibbling on a carrot. Momo on the other hand, just shakes her head in disbelief and disappointment. Chaeyoung pried open the sandwich and couldn’t understand what kind of a sandwich it was.

 

The question now stands… Why is there no meat on the sandwich?

 

“You watch anime, right?”

 

Chaeyoung’s eyes beamed at the magical word… anime…

 

“Yes… yes… I do… I just discovered this anime… Maria-sama ga miteru and marathon it last night…”

 

Jeongyeon’s fork clash down on her plate, her eyes widened in surprise.

 

 “Don’t you know how happy you made me right now, Chaeng?”

 

Jeongyeon could feel her cold heart, slowly melting.

 

“There’s nobody in this world that I know who watches it. But now I have somebody to spaz with… who’s your OTP?”

 

“MiChaeng…” Chaeyoung answers flatly while toying with Mina’s sleeve.

 

“No… like in the show?”

 

“Sachiko and Yumi of course…”

 

 “What?”

 

Jeongyeon was left stammering. It scared her friends that she was having a or something. But the only reason for Jeongyeon’s trembling is finally finding someone she could relate all her Marimite OTP feels.

 

“THAT’S MY FUC*ING SHIPPPPPP!!!!!!”

 

“Oh yes…”

 

After Momo wolfs down her lunch, she joins Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon in spazzing over anime ships and games. And Mina couldn’t do anything but listen in, she doesn’t know ship any pairings… Heck… She doesn’t even know any of the characters they mention.  And even if Chaeyoung was right beside her, she felt like Chaeyoung is worlds away.

 

Nayeon on the other hand, feels completely satisfied with being by herself and her reflection.

 

A part of her want to take Chaeyoung away but she couldn’t be selfish, right? She knows she’s being immature right now, and the only way to push that aside is by pretending to study.

 

***

 

“Ummm… unnir?”

 

Sana almost fell off her chair from the sight. Her sister was right there by her door, holding books… no… not those manga.. but books! That you used in school to learn. Books. Chaeyoung. Learning. Those three words don’t seem to fit together.

 

“Chaeng? What’s up?”

 

“I have a quiz tomorrow in bio… Can you please explain to me about the heart’s conduction system?”

 

Sana wonders if all of this was a joke. But she took a good look at those eyes and there was no hint of a prank or a joke. It’s like her sister was finally trying to serious.

 

“Chaeyoung?”

 

“Mmmm?”

 

“You’re studying?”

 

“Yup… Today at lunch, Mina was eating while studying and I’m like whoah.. My girl is too serious… So, I want to prove to her that I could focus on school too.”

 

It made Sana smiled to see her sister finally starting to try. And maybe there is one reason for all of this.

 

“I’m glad you meet someone who brings out the best in you.”

 

***

 

“You’re early today?”

 

Mina greets the cub with a soft smile as she saw her waiting.

 

“Yes… I don’t want it to be like yesterday…”

 

Chaeyoung unconsciously reaches out to Mina’s backpack and put it on her other shoulder.

 

“It feels so lonely walking without you…”

 

Mina smiles softly, knowing exactly what Chaeyoung meant.

 

“Hold on… I made you something…”

 

The sleepiness in Chaeyoung just all went away. Her excitement just woke her up at the thought of Mina getting her something. She got too excited that she starts bouncing off her feet, clapping like a circus seal.

 

The anticipation was too much for someone as impatient as Chaeyoung. She could swore that Mina was moving in slow mo as she pulls out something from her bag.

 

The moment she saw what Mina’s surprise is, her eyes widen, her jaw drop to the ground. It wasn’t in happiness, but in pure horror.

 

“W-w-what’s that?” Chaeyoung’s voice was creaking in fear as she sees the radioactive green slime inside the mug.

 

“It’s vegetable shake… I made it for you… It’s a good breakfast drink to keep you healthy and active throughout the day.”

 

Mina sounded like one of those TV commercials that’s trying to convince you how it isn’t crap their selling, even if it’s still obvious that they’re selling e.

 

“I have one too…”

 

Chaeyoung knows that she probably has no escape as Mina cornered her with her own yucky drink.

 

“It’s like our couple drink…”

 

Chaeyoung gulps loudly at that thought. Why can’t they choose something sweet like a milkshake as their couple drink? Why does it have to be something blech and yucky?

 

“W-what’s in it?” But Chaeyoung quickly shakes her head “No… don’t bother…”

 

She realizes she have no intention of knowing what’s in this hideous drink.

 

“Aren’t you going to try it?”

 

Mina asks Chaeyoung who looks like she’s suffering in so much pain.

 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

 

The word no was on the tip of Chaeyoung’s tongue, ready to be screamed out. But she bit her tongue to keep it from slipping. This was her y bear’s way of showing her love, she wants her to be healthy… Yup… that’s right… This is Mina’s love in a mug.

 

“Of course… kekekeke…”

 

Maybe if I drink it too fast, I couldn’t taste it…

 

Chaeyoung have never been this scared in her entire life. It’s as if she’s sipping some poison rather than some veggie drink. But she’s going to try… she loves Mina too much to ignore Mina’s effort like this.

 

OMO!!!! OMFG!!!! WTF IS THIS SHEET????!!!! KILL ME NOW JESUS!!! KILLL MEEEEE!!!!!

 

Those were the thoughts that were swirling inside Chaeyoung’s head as she sips as hard and fast as she could. She could feel her eyes getting all watery at every drop of the shake that she forced to gulp down. The shaking smol girl could feel a tear falling at every sip she takes.

 

“Did you like it?” Mina was wearing her beaming smile as she sees Chaeyoung finish it to the last drop. “W-wait are you crying?”

 

Chaeyoung wipes a tear from all the torture and forces a weak smile.

 

“It’s ummm… sooo good… I have tears in my eyes. It-it-it’s tears of joy…”

 

“Really?”

 

“Uh- huh… uh-huh…” Chaeyoung was about to shake her head, but caught herself before she did it and nods her head.

 

Mina smiles happily, maybe this was the start of Chaeyoung’s change for a healthy lifestyle. Mina was pleased that she helped made a positive change in the girl.

 

“I’m soooo happy… You love it…”

 

And when Chaeyoung saw how sweet Mina’s smile is, she decided not to say anything. She’s willing to endure all the veggie shakes in this world if it makes Mina smile that way.

 

***

 

After walking Mina to class, Chaeyoung spend the rest of her day thinking of her. In her history class, while she was dissecting the frog, and even in lunch.

 

 

Chaeyoung didn’t see Mina all morning and she missed the girl already. That’s why right after class, she hurriedly went to the theatre, smiling as she made it right on time for her girlfriend’s rehearsal.

 

Girlfriend…

 

That word made her giggle like an idiot somehow… and the thought of Mina finally admitting it too, just put a whole new meaning to the word. It sounded sweeter.

 

Girlfriend… She was Mina’s girlfriend.

 

Over by the stage, Nayeon wasn’t going to allow anything to stop her from reaching the spotlight. She device a foolproof plan where she can show the audience her perfection, even in a villainess role.

 

“Miss… I’m like thinking…” Nayeon makes her way to their teacher. “How about we put a little twist to the story?”

 

The teacher doesn’t even want to hear anything, but just sighs and give in knowing how demanding the girl is.

 

“What is it, Ms. Im?”

 

“You know how musicals are like the in thing now… Like you know… Les Miz and ummm… ahhh… like Dream high…” Nayeon couldn’t think of any other musical

 

“Dream high is not a musical.” Jeongyeon points out.

 

“Whatever… So, I was thinking how about we turn this into a musical?”

 

Jeongyeon raises her hand enthusiastically with the suggestion.

 

“I should sing Mirrors by Justin Timberlake if that’s the case.”

 

Jeongyeon was ready for the laughter, but instead everyone just watches her blankly… Nobody gets her joke…

 

“Because I’m a mirror? Get it? So, I will sing a song titled mirrors?”

 

There is nothing more annoying than people who can’t understand your awesome joke.

 

“Whatever…” Jeongyeon grumbles annoyingly.

 

All of sudden, the auditorium was filled with a booming laugh. Everyone looks around in confusion until they found the suspect, Mina was a guffawing mess.

 

 ***

 

“Hi… You’re ready?”

 

Chaeyoung bounce off the stands over to where Mina is standing.

 

“I just want to rehearse a bit more since it’s just a week… you can go home if you want to…”

 

Mina says out of politeness, although she didn’t want Chaeyoung to go…

 

“No… it’s okay… I can wait…”

 

Mina turns away, hoping to hide her obvious blush.

 

“CHAEYOUNG!”

 

Mina wished her disappointment wouldn’t be too obvious as her friends surrounded Chaeyoung again. It was so easy for her to feel excluded… Like someone from the outside looking in…

 

She just chose to walk away from them and sat on the stage. She pretends to be engrossed on her script, but she couldn’t… not when she’s looking at Chaeyoung laughing so hard with her friends. It was obvious, Chaeyoung seem to fit better with her friends than with her.

 

“See you later Minari…”

 

Mina just smiles softly at her friends as they went on ahead. Chaeyoung skips happily towards her, jumping up on the stage to sit beside her.

 

Chaeyoung was just contented playing with Mina’s shirt, when she realize that something felt different. She expects Mina to yell at her to be still, but instead Mina just lets her play.

 

“Are you ok?”

 

Chaeyoung finally asks, craning her neck to sneak a glance at Mina’s face.

 

“Do you notice how different we two are?”

 

Mina’s voice was softer than a mumble but Chaeyoung heard it quite clearly.

 

“Ummm yes… it’s quite obvious.”

 

“It’s like you get along better with Jeongyeon and Momo than you do with me… The games, anime, fanfics… I can’t…”

 

Mina lowers her gaze to her lap, feeling shameful for sounding so selfish and immature.

 

“I can’t relate to any of that… and the things I like you don’t seem to enjoy…”

 

“I like you…”

 

Mina raised her gaze and turns to the girl beside her.

 

“What?”

 

“I like you because of you… not because you love to read books and eat cra- I mean healthy food.”

 

“Don’t you wish you could be with someone who likes anime and eat all this junk food with you?”

 

“No…” Chaeyoung shakes her head “If I have a choice of some anime junk food eating lover and you… it’s no question I still choose you… Would you choose me though?”

 

“What?”

 

“If you meet a person who just eat veggies all day and read books on their free time?”

 

“Well… I will definitely enjoy their company…”

 

Chaeyoung frowns at Mina… But Mina tilts her chin up, wiping away Chaeyoung’s frown with a peck on the nose.

 

“But they could never make me laugh and smile and make my heart beat like crazy the way you do.”

 

Chaeyoung starts to giggle, cuddling playfully on Mina’s arm and rubbing her face in Mina’s shoulder.

 

“Chaeyoung?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I want to try the things that you like.”

 

Chaeyoung grins happily at Mina’s confession.

 

“I want to know why they make you happy… and I want to share it with you…”

 

“You too…  You too…” Chaeyoung’s voice was muffled on Mina’s shoulder. “I want to do the things that you do… Because you make my heart go lub dup, lub dup, lub dup…”

 

“Lub dup?”

 

“Yes… I learn that in biology class… Lub means when your heart contracts, and dup when the ventricles relax…”

 

The thought of Chaeyoung starting to finally take care of the more important things made Mina smile.

 

“Oh by the way I got you this…”

 

Chaeyoung pulls out a folded paper from her notebook.  A smile brightens up Mina’s face as she saw Chaeyoung’s test paper with an A on it.

 

“This is awesome Chaeyoung. I’m so proud of you.”

 

The gorgeous smile on Mina’s face took Chaeyoung’s breath away.

 

“Thanks… I…I…I…”

 

“You what?” Mina asks teasingly…

 

“You deserve a girlfriend who works hard and give the best in everything she does. And I’m going to be that person for you. I’m going to be the best, not just in school but in everything. So that you can say proudly to people and everyone you know. That’s Son Chaeyoung and she’s my girlfriend.”

 

Mina smiles in return, before brushing the loose strands of hair that fell on Chaeyoung’s face.

 

“You’re Son Chaeyoung…” Mina leans closely, pinching Chaeyoung’s perfect nose. “You’re silly, you’re hyperactive, you love anime and stuff and you’re addicted to strawberry.”

 

Mina let her script flutter to the floor as she chooses to hold on to Chaeyoung instead. Chaeyoung was getting tickled by Mina’s nose playfully rubbing on her neck. She pressed feathery kisses slowly up Chaeyoung’s neck, before she softly whispers in Chaeyoung’s ear.

 

“You’re Son Chaeyoung and you’re mine…”