Chapter 9

I Don't Know

A/N: still no SaTzu..

 

My clumsy words
Are proof that I like you
Do I look nervous right now?
Then will you hold my hand?
-How nice it would be, Day 6

 

 

 

“HOMO!”

 

Momo gasps out loud as she walks in the theatre, and the first thing she sees her Wangjanim kissing someone right there on the stage.

 

"OWWWW!!!”

 

Momo rubs the back of her head as Jeongyeon and Nayeon practically wrestles her out before she disturb, the two “practicing” their kissing scene in the theatre.

 

“What the heck is that about, Momo?”

 

“I’m sorry… I’m sorry… I was supposed to say Omo but I accidentally added the H for emphasis after what I saw. Did that thing really happen? Is there a michaeng now?”

 

The three slowly pop their heads one by one, sighing in relief as the two were still caught up in each other. The three tried sneaking in for a better look, crawling like the Asian ninjas that they are as the hid behind the bleachers.

 

And yup… MiChaeng’s lips are still glued to each other.

 

“Are they making out?”

 

“No… doesn’t look like it. They’re so innocent, they need to byun it out.”

 

“You guys just stop.” Jeongyeon hush the two, while checking back on MiChaeng (yes… that’s their couple name, Michaeng)

 

Even from afar they could still see how bright Mina’s smile is. The two weren’t kissing anymore but they’re just gazing at each other, as if letting the effect of their kiss just take over. Mina leans closer once again, but this time just rubbing her nose on Chaeyoung’s before kissing Chaeyoung’s lips again.

 

“Hrrrr… Hrrrrr… Hrrrr…”

 

Nayeon and Momo turns to Jeongyeon who is starting to silently laugh, like the evil scientist that she is.

 

“I did it.”

 

“Did what?”

 

“Help those two got together… omo… I’m like a cupid, only instead of bows and arrows, I get trigger happy with their hearts.”

 

“You scare me sometimes.” Momo admits softly.

 

Jeongyeon the evil genius that she is, decided to taunt the other failed cupid.

 

“Unlike you, Nabong… how is Tzuyu and Sana? Looks like nothing is happening.”

 

Nayeon just narrow at her eyes, “I’m doing it slowly.”

 

“So slow, even turtles ROFL with how slow you are.”

 

“Yeah right.” Nayeon scoffs at Jeong’s face “like you could do any better.”

 

“What do I get when I finally get the two together?”

 

Nayeon raised her perfectly threaded brow, she didn’t know that playing cupid needs to have a reward?  But this sound interesting, and Nayeon likes interesting things like her.

 

“What do you want?”

 

“I’ll think about it.”

 

“Jeong, are you sure bout this?!” Momo cups Jeongyeon shoulder and look at Jeongyeon’s eyes.

 

“Why? What’s wrong?”

 

“This is Chou Tzuyu were talking about.”

 

“I know…” Jeongyeon’s face curved into a devilishly sinister smile “The harder the better… kekekeekkeke.”

 

*


What should I say?
Should I say it now?
Will you say it too?
Will you say it to me?
Words that were left unsaid

 

It seems to Mina that she's more comfortable holding the choding’s hand when they’re around strangers, who can’t say anything about them or when they’re all alone.

 

Mina felt a tinge of guilt building inside of her, casting a worried glance at the other girl. But Chaeyoung doesn’t look the least bit affected, she still has that wide grin in her face while swinging their hands together. 

 

It’s not like she doesn’t feel anything for the other girl, actually she does. Much more than she felt for other people who tried winning her affection. It seems like Chaeyoung was the only one who stick even if she pushed them away, and the only one who does the sweetest things to sweep her off her feet.

 

But what exactly is the right word for what she feels? Is it still like? Or is it bordering into something else? Something much more?

 

But right before when Mina could figure out the answer, here was Chaeyoung still the monkey that she is, making slashing sounds as they walk to the fruit aisle in the grocery store.

 

“Behave for once… will you?”

 

Chaeyoung quickly has that childish pout, like the ones little kids have when they get scolded. When Mina turns her back, Chaeyoung let out a hissing slashing again and when Mina throws her a scowl, Chaeyoung just responded with a goofy smile.

 

“I have a girlfriend now. I must behave.”

 

“You should behave for yourself, not for anybody else.”

 

“No… just for you.” Chaeyoung points to Mina.

 

And Mina just shakes her head, despite the feeling of gushing inside.

 

“Do we have to walk like this?”

 

Mina groans as Chaeyoung have happily been holding her hand since that night in the rooftop.

 

“Yes. That’s what girlfriends do.”

 

“Oh… really?”

 

“Ah-huh” Chaeyoung nods like the expert in love that she is…

 

“You know what other things girlfriends do?”

 

Mina asks wondering how far Chaeyoung’s innocence really is…

 

“Of course!”

 

“Like what?”  Mina asks curiously.

 

“They kiss.”

 

“And what else?”

 

“They ummm…” Chaeyoung pouts thoughtfully, tapping her chin as she thinks.“I know! They go on dates! Speaking of dates!”

 

Chaeyoung takes out her handy dandy notebook from her backpack, and scribbled with her strawberry pen.

 

“We have to go out on a date.”

 

“Do you even know what happen after dates?”

 

“They go home?”

 

Mina searches Chaeyoung’s face, trying to figure out if she’s just faking this innocence. But there is none, those round eyes were just so wide eye and full of innocence. And it made Mina chuckle, before tugging on Chaeyoung’s hand as they continue to grocery shopping.

 

Mina starts to playfully pretend throwing a fruit in Chaeyoung’s way, and Chaeyoung starts slashing it.

 

The real fruit ninja.

 

***

The whole world shakes me up
Even my friends stir things up
Saying that you and I
We look good together

 

 

It’s weird that no matter how loud Jeongyeon’s voice is or how loud Momo’s munching is or just how loud that Cafeteria is that lunch hour, Mina couldn’t even make out a single word. It was like she was shut out from the world, and her only company was being with Chaeyoung… Why is that? She wonders…

 

“Hey girl.”

 

Mina turned away from her salad and up to Nayeon. She knew Nayeon too well and it’s obvious from the tone of Nayeon’s voice that she needed something.

 

“What?”

 

“Well… buddy” Nayeon flashes her that I-need-something-from-you smile on her face.

 

“Just get straight to the point Nabong…” Mina sighs exhaustedly.

 

“Ok… ok… you know I’m sorta dating this guy.”

 

“Nayeon… It’s either you’re dating a guy or not dating a guy… you can’t be in between.”

 

“Exactly…. For example Mina is DATING Chaeyoung.”

 

And why do her friends have to remind her of that…

 

“Hush!” Mina frowns.

 

“So, are you and Chaeyoung finally a thing?”

 

“I don’t know…” Mina just shrugs, taking a bite of her apple.

 

“But the two of you were- OOOMPH!” Momo ended up chewing on the bread, Jeongyeon stuff in instead of finishing what she’s trying to say.

 

“Why is that?” Jeongyeon asks Mina, “Don’t you like her?”

 

Mina just take a heaving sigh before pushing the lettuce around her plate.

 

“I just… she’s just… she acts like a kid all the time and she walks… no skip around, with that tiger backpack of hers. I feel like I’m babysitting more than dating someone.”

 

“Do you like her though?”

 

“What?”

 

“Do. You. Like. Her?”

 

Jeongyeon stresses out every word to knock it inside that hard head of Mina’s.

 

“I ummm… I think… Can we change the subject here?”

 

“Finally…” Nayeon was glad that the attention got back to her “I’m in this getting to know you phase with this really awesome guy who has a band.”

 

Jeongyeon and Momo exchanged knowing looks.

 

“Oh no… is it Nichkhun and his stripper buddies again?”

 

“Yes…keke… those boys just like to grind on furnitures.”

 

“Dude… they just like to grind on air.”

 

“BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!”

 

The two started howling in laughter as if it’s the most hilarious thing they ever heard.

 

“No…” Nayeon growls “FYI, Jae, that’s his name, has a band and he plays a musical instrument and guess where he came from?”

 

“Since you know him… Hmmm… he came from the bar?”

 

“No…” Nayeon growls but quickly regains her composure and eyesmile “He’s not… he’s decent and hot. Let me give you a clue, he came from the same place as Harry Potter.”

 

“Ohhhhhh… I know… I know…” Momo raises her hand enthusiastically “He’s from Hogwarts.”

 

“No… God! Why am I even friends with you guys? But anyways-”

 

“Cut to the chase, Nabong…” Mina had enough of this nonsense banter.

 

“Fine… well, you know for our Valentines dance, and you’re like looking for a great band to perform. I want to recommend them. Trust me, Minari… they’re really good.”

 

Nayeon bats her lashes, hoping to charm Mina. But it didn’t work, the only one that does the bat her lashes would work for Mina is Chaeyoung.

 

“I don’t know… last time you did that, Nichkhun’s big eared friend starts ripping his shirt off on Stage. And you know what happens when girls from an all girls academy sees Guy’s 6 pack, it’s utter chaos.”

 

The girls just shake their heads at that traumatic event, the girls were like zombies trying to eat him alive.

 

“No… no… that won’t happen again… His band Day 6"

 

“Day 6? They sound like a girl group…”

 

"Shut up. Or you know what, you’ll shut up when you hear their band. Like even I have to admit it, like first time he was talking about his band, I just acted like I give a crap, just so he would ask me out. But after I heard them I’m like wow…”

 

“Hmmm… Minari… can I offer a suggestion?”

 

Nayeon wished that Mina won’t even hear Jeongyeon.

 

“Since you’re so busy with your presidential duties and stuff… Why don’t me and Momo-”

 

“Oh no…” Nayeon quickly objected before Jeongyeon could even finish what she’s trying to say. “No… no… oh my God… no!”

But Mina didn’t hear her.

 

“I think that’s a good idea… I have to go.” Mina quickly pulls herself out of the table and started walking away.

 

Nayeon sometimes wonders why the world was constantly mean to her, then she remembers, she’s like Cinderella and JeongMo are the wicked step sisters, out to ruin her happiness. She just needs to pull through a bit more, before her prince charming come galloping in carrying her glass shoes (or Jimmy Choos…)

 

*

 

As soon as Jeongyeon was sure that Mina wont hear a thing. It was time to work her magic, and let Nayeon in on their little quest.

 

“Nayeon we need your help for something.”

 

“Oh… I knew it… you two want something from me.”

 

“Well… isn’t that what friends are for?”

 

“What do you two need from me exactly?”

 

“We know that behind that gorgeous looks is make up.”

 

Nayeon stabs her fork on the poor defenseless, lettuce, her eyes turning red and her nose flared up.  Nobody.. and Nayeon means nobody messes with her money shot.

 

“You two get out of my sight now.”

 

“Hey wait! You didn’t even let us finish… What I mean is you’re really good with make up and stuff…”

 

“If you’re asking me to give you a makeover, give it up Jeong, your face is hopeless.”

 

Not for me! For somebody else!”

 

Nayeon stops to think...

 

“And who would that be?”

 

*

Mina let out an exhausted sigh while slouching down on her seat. She was the president of the student government. While the rest of her officers have already went home, she’s still there trying to organize for the valentines dance. Everything was already set, but the perfectionist that she is wanted everything to be perfect.

 

She decided that a few minutes of shut eye wouldn’t hurt, so, she closes her eyes and the first thing she saw was the smol girl popping inside her head.

 

Ring. Ring… ring…

 

They always say that if you think of the person hard enough, you will see them soon… Well, Chaeyoung wasn’t there… but a phonecall was pretty close.

 

“Hello?”

 

“I miss you.”

 

Even from the phone, Mina could picture that cute pout in Chaeyoung’s face and those round eyes blinking so cutely.

 

“What do you mean? We just saw each other earlier?”

 

“Yeah but still… I miss you… Don’t you miss me?”

 

“Maybe…”

 

Mina does… she just doesn’t want to admit it out loud.

 

“I want to go there and give you a hug…”

 

“No…” Mina says flatly.

 

“Please?”

 

“No.”

 

“Pretty please?” Chaeyoung begs cutely.

 

“I’m hanging up the phone.”

 

“Pretty please with a strawberry on top?”

 

“Goodbye Chaeyoung.”

 

Knock… knock…knock…

 

Mina gets up from her chair and just mechanically opens the door, without even thinking who’s behind it.

 

RAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRR!!!!!

 

Chaeyoung was trying to scare Mina. But instead she look like a baby cub, wanting to act like a lion.

 

“Did I scare you?”

 

“Yes…” Mina said coldly “The size of your mouth scared me.”

 

Chaeyoung frowns angrily… “I’m mad at you.”

 

“You are?” Mina answers coldly.

 

“Yes.. and you have to hug me so I could forgive you.”

 

“No thank you.”

 

“No.. You’re required to hug me.”

 

Mina almost fell to the floor as Chaeyoung gives her a huge bear hug, as if they havent saw each other for years.

 

“Chaeyoung…” Mina ends up patting the girl's head, who was now nuzzling on her neck.

 

“Can I stay here?”

 

“What if I say no?”

 

“I’ll still stay.”

 

Chaeyoung drags a chair and invades every personal space that Mina has by sitting way too close to her. And Mina just let out a defeated sigh, it’s not like she doesn’t like it.

 

“Ok… but you have to be quiet.”

 

Chaeyoung puts a finger to her lip as if promising Mina she’ll behave. Mina starts to work on the paperworks again and Chaeyoung just takes out her strawberry case IPAD and starts playing.

 

“You know what?” Mina covers Chaeyoung’s monitor with her hand.

 

“HEY!!!!!” Chaeyoung says annoyingly.

 

“Why don’t you use this free time to study instead of playing games?”

 

“Dontwanna…” Chaeyoung mutters under her breath.

 

“What did you say?”

 

“I will… I will…”

 

Chaeyoung takes out her books from her bag and starts to study and in a few seconds she was already getting doozy… Her books were like cure for insomnia.

 

“Okay… break time…”

 

Chaeyoung excitedly reaches out for her IPAD but Mina was quicker and swipes it away.

 

“That wasn’t even 5 minutes.”

 

“But it’s boring.”

 

“Deal with it.” Mina pulls away the IPAD and put it inside her bag. “You wont see it, until you’re done.”

 

“HEY! You’re taking my IPAD as hostage… no fair!”

 

“I’m sorry… but I like a smart girlfriend.”

 

“I’am smart…” Chaeyoung pointed out.

 

“No… you’re a smartass…” Mina corrected her “There’s a big difference.”

 

“Fine…” Chaeyoung takes out her book, and pretended to read.

 

“You know Chaeyoung, I’m always busy, I can’t just be with you all the time like this. I have this dance, the drama coming up… And in the valentines dance, I wont have time with you. I’ll be busy running around the place making sure everything is okay.”

 

The coming valentines dance is going to be special for Chaeyoung. But unfortunately, Mina made it clear how she feels.IT was their first dance and valentines together, but probably for Mina it was just a checkmark on her things to do.

 

“Oh… okay…” Chaeyoung said in disappointment and Mina quickly pick up how Chaeyoung was feeling with her voice. But what can Mina do? Forget about her responsibilities for the sake of spending time with Chaeyoung?

 

“It’s okay… as long as I’m still your date.”

 

“I will… but I will be a lousy date.”

 

Chaeyoung’s chair make a screeching sound on the tile floor, as she drags it closer to Mina.

 

“Says who? I think you will be an awesome date.”

 

Mina didn’t realize how close they truly were, until she turns and she was nose to nose to Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung thought Mina was playing a game, so she leans closer, affectionately rubbing her nose against Mina.

 

Mina never thought she will be this kind of girlfriend. Someone who enjoys affection, just like how she and Chaeyoung were right now.

She cups Chaeyoung’s cheeks and kiss Chaeyoung on the tip of her nose, before pressing a light kiss as the two started sharing sweet kisses. Mina decided to take another step forward, but this time, she’s more brave about it, softly tugging on Chaeyoung’s lower lip as if pleading to deepen their kiss.

 

This was the kind of kiss that when she sees it on TV, her unnie makes her close her eyes. But now she’s not just watching it, she was about to do it. Chaeyoung felt so nervous, but she loves Mina too much and for her, she’ll do anything.

 

“D-do you want to?”

 

Mina asks embarrassingly. It would be humiliating if Chaeyoung would turn her down, but she would rather deal with that than force Chaeyoung to do something she wouldn’t want to do.

 

“We don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

 

Mina just turns away, trying to hide her embarrassment by pretending to focus on her work. But she froze when she felt Chaeyoung pressing a soft kiss on her cheek.

 

She turns around and she could see the sincere expression in Chaeyoung’s face. She tugs the loose strands of Chaeyoung’s hair behind her ear. Mina cups Chaeyoung’s cheek and started laying sweet kisses in Chaeyoung’s face.

 

On that forehead…

 

On that cute nose…

 

On those sweet cheeks…

 

And finally in her lips.

 

“I want you to be my first everything Mina.”

 

Mina have to lean close, she wasn’t use to Chaeyoung’s voice being so soft. And with every kiss, Mina express what she feels… those three words that always seem to jumble in … I love you… I love you… I love you…

 

Chaeyoung could feel her heart about to beat out of her chest as their tongues finally met. Every sense of nerve starts fizzling out each second of their kiss. She realize she have nothing to worry about, she was kissing the girl of her dreams.

 

Their tongues continue to dance in each other mouths, playfully teasing as both would let out shy giggles before returning to each other’s lips once again.

 

This wasn’t the girl Mina thought she would be. She should be working on the projects right now, but here she is, her arms wrap around her sweetheart, both of them breathless as they kiss.

 

But that didn’t stop them, even if they have just one single breath left, they’ll use it in their kiss.

 

And in their kiss, Mina prayed that Chaeyoung could feel and know those three words that was only meant for her.

 

I love you…

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

Double :)